Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera Released

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Oh wow, Pillars of Eternity, Primordia and even Tyranny are selling better right now.

I’m also surprised by these numbers. Maybe we are all wrong and these numbers can keep increasing year after year? Maybe these new cRPGs have more longevity than we thought. They are just slower.

My plan is to finally play PS:T after I finish TToN. Last time I tried I couldn't get into PS:T.

Can't get into PS:T but manages to finish ToN, and find PoE's expansion enjoyable. People like you are ruining cRPGs for the rest of us.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Can't get into PS:T but manages to finish ToN, and find PoE's expansion enjoyable. People like you are ruining cRPGs for the rest of us.

Welp, you thought Age of Decadence had 'good art' and have an unhealthy obsession with the game and head honcho Vinney. Hardly a paragon of all things good.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Everytime you post, I only read this

Tommy Wiseau said:
blablablablablablablabla I'm butthurt blablablablablabla I don't like AoD

You could just as well be a spambot, it makes no difference to me.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
I like AoD just fine, I'm just not blind to its flaws because I'm not a
fanboy.png

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I thought the cranium rats were really clever. Not sure I had fun necessarily, but it was a pretty great concept. (They are probably the only specific PS:T callout I put into my text, in the node about the Murcine Dream-Time Hypothesis.)

Aren't cranium rats a reference to Deus Irae by Dick & Zelazny
Yeah, but the concept and the combat design are not the same thing.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
I've decided to give it another go before going forward with PoE White March, after all.

In general I'd say it's quite enjoyable - the world is quite beautiful and pretty interesting, and I like the C&C portion of the game. There are glaring issues (non-existing translations, merchant interface bugs, AI) but they don't bother me that much - though I'm hoping for a patch sooner than later.

My plan is to finally play PS:T after I finish TToN. Last time I tried I couldn't get into PS:T (managed to exit the mortuary and do a quest or two, then out of a sudden was murdered in the street which turned me off).

There's a C&C portion in Numerana ?

I don't understand why you stopped your PST playthrough, if I remember well you can't really die in Torment ... Being murdered once or twice is actually fun in this game.

But if you find it unfair to be murdered in a rpg, then, I guess I can understand what'(s happening to you.

Naraya

Arcane
But if you find it unfair to be murdered in a rpg, then, I guess I can understand what'(s happening to you.
It's hard to explain but I think that was the main reason. As I said, I played PS:T blind, somehow managed to avoid major/minor game spoilers. I just knew that the game is unanimously praised as one of the best (if not the best) RPGs of all time. Somehow it (the dying) just feels more natural and less... depressing I think, in TToN - therefore I think I'll get used to it and will be able to play PS:T.

Sprout

Educated
Considering that's supposed to be a pretty big part of the game I certainly hope so.

I don't understand why you stopped your PST playthrough, if I remember well you can't really die in Torment ... Being murdered once or twice is actually fun in this game.
I don't think there's any real mystery here. I got bored my first time too and wandered off, just didn't have the drive at the time and returned later when I did. The fact that he was arsed to finish TON first is probably not any kind of commentary on the quality of either game.

Ruzen

Savant
One thing I noticed right now most of the %69 positive reviews don't recommend this game in their full explanation but they felt obliged to raise the rating.:) So much for the loyalty points for fanatics.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Considering that's supposed to be a pretty big part of the game I certainly hope so.

Oh shit I've read Command&Conquer, which seemed very strange indeed, I didn't know there was another meaning for C&C but now I understand why this acronym appears from time to time on RPG's forums lol

This is one of those cases where you should've just kept your mouth shut when you realized your ignorance.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Aha, so it's not just me, the game's actually 'meh'. A shame, really. If I had to summarize it in one sentence, it would be "Tyranny did it better".

Played it for like 5 hours and went back to DOS:EE.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist

Oh shit I've read Command&Conquer, which seemed very strange indeed, I didn't know there was another meaning for C&C but now I understand why this acronym appears from time to time on RPG's forums lol

This is one of those cases where you should've just kept your mouth shut when you realized your ignorance.

I can't begin to describe how much I don't care what you think. And I won't even bother trying to imagine how tiny your world miust be is that you actually think I would care. Now go back playing with your toys.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism

I can't begin to describe how much I don't care what you think. And I won't even bother trying to imagine how tiny your world miust be is that you actually think I would care. Now go back playing with your toys.

Please be gentle

wesleyclark

Augur
Glad I decided to wait on this.

inXile:

But, there's a saying that no work of art is ever truly complete. We certainly know that many of you were looking forward to some of the things we couldn't squeeze into our release build, and it just didn't sit well with us leaving those behind. Now that we have had a time to see your feedback on the game, we also have a better sense of where we can focus our resources to improve.

To that end, we are pleased to announce that we will be working on additional content and updates for Torment post-release. These updates will include:

• Oom ("The Toy" companion).
  • Voluminous Codex.
  • Crisis system improvements.
Our initial updates to the game will focused on bug fixes, optimizations, and other improvements, while the content additions will come later down the line. Both the patches and content updates will, of course, be completely free for all Torment owners, including backers, PC buyers, and console players. We will have more news on these in the coming weeks and months!

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yep, Fargo, the magnificent bastard, will keep improving the game. Felt that it kind of fell apart in places particularly the latter parts but always was confident that there's be support to flesh out the rushed bits. I doubt that after writing all this Colin and co were happy to have to just release it due to publisher and financial pressure. Since most of the 'faults' are writing wise, I thought it would be the easiest thing to address and hopefully they keep at it, not only fixing the rushed bits but eventually, should financing allow, to add other parts, maybe increase combat options, add a location or two for it etc. in a DC version.

I apologise to Roxor and co in advance for not writing a negative message about Torment.

Turok

Erudite
I was hoping that Obsidian do the same with POE, like update the fucking engine so it can run smooth like Torment or Tyranny. Fargo do that well with Wasteland 2 Director's cut.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was hoping that Obsidian do the same with POE, like update the fucking engine so it can run smooth like Torment or Tyranny. Fargo do that well with Wasteland 2 Director's cut.

Yeah W2 really spruced up well. Maybe as part of PoE2 they may update the engine once it's all done. Shouldn't be that costly and they'd make a few extra bucks selling an EE version to newbies and generate good will by giving it for free to owners.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
  • Oom ("The Toy" companion).
  • Voluminous Codex.
  • Crisis system improvements.
I don't see how that would improve the game, at all. Another shit companion? Who cares. A lore-dump Codex? There's enough of that shit already. Crisis improvements? Sure, but will they actually change the encounters, fix the systems? You know they won't, too much would have to be changed, that would take much resources, testing, etc. Best you can expect is a couple of very visible ("see? we did something") but overal pointless teaks.

It's just damage control for their cut Kickstarted features.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom