Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
FFS this game can rival east european shovelware in terms of bugginess.

:rage:

It keeps crashing or bugging out, especially during crises or when using items. I'm already tired of reloading. It has been mostly enjoyable otherwise, but at this point it's barely playable for me so I'm just about to give up and try again later. On the other hand, I do want to get to the Bloom and see what Ziets has managed to achieve with it.

Found Phelot's grave though, which was funny. I forgot we put it there. RIP Phelot.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If the nps in the game were "expanded depth npcs" i shudder to think what they would have looked like in not strech goal version.
Imagine what the whole game would've looked like with the initial $900k instead of $4.5M.

...or maybe that's exactly what we got. :argh:

A 4.5M budget portrait:

Portrait-Erritis.png

A 900K budget portrait:

eZ4dkCP.png

Quillon

Arcane
I think that they really overestimated the potential game audience. Keen backers like myself eagerly brought money. But the audience was pretty much limited by backers plus some small amount of cautious people who loved PS:T but did not trust Fargo/Crowdfunding etc. The game is too weird and text-heavy to be popular.

Wasteland did pretty good because modern gamers love post-apocalypse sought-after nu Fallouts.

Looking at the "ancient" gamers here suggests that the game would have done even worse if this was 15 years ago.

ArchAngel

Arcane

It keeps crashing or bugging out, especially during crises or when using items. I'm already tired of reloading. It has been mostly enjoyable otherwise, but at this point it's barely playable for me so I'm just about to give up and try again later. On the other hand, I do want to get to the Bloom and see what Ziets has managed to achieve with it.

Found Phelot's grave though, which was funny. I forgot we put it there. RIP Phelot.
Yea, I put the game on hold after out of 3 crisis I started two froze the game during them (including the first tutorial one that you have 10 minutes after game starts LOL). And I accuse Obsidian of being Bugsidian :(
At this point I would rather I gave money to PoE2 KS than TToN :(

Seaking4

Learned
Well Obsidian put the price for a single companion in their campaign at 200 000$ and then another at 500 000$. If anything 100 000$ was way too low (considering they also had to hire Avellone to write it). Seems like their stretch goals weren't well planned out and it came back to bite them in the ass.

By the way, what the hell is going on with that portraits ... it's hideous. It looks like one of those cardboard cutouts that you stick your head in at amusement parks.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Obsidian builds up a base of Star Citizen style whales with FIG investor engagement to fund their future projects.
Wasn't there a clause concerning FIG investments, that FIG may move funds from one project to another one?
Which opens up the possibility that one or two projects that burn too much money might pull the whole house of cards down.
Or am I misremembering things?
Yes, there is a clause which states that they can cross-fund projects, i.e. income from one project can be allocated to another project (could be also a project run by an entirely different company, iirc).

Also the breakeven for WL3 is 400K copies sold (at 21 net price, so 40 usd or so average price tag). So I'd assume T:ToN will remain deeply in the red for quite some time.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Almost finished with the game clocking in about 35 hours of reading everything and doing every quest.

Preliminary conclusion.

The Good
- Interesting main story and also most side quests are interesting. Most NPCs have something to say with thoughtful underlying themes, which get explored in depth. Areas that stand out are The Bloom, Valley of Dead Heroes/Necropolis and the Meres.
- The quality of writing is for the most part very good, but have noticeable lows in some areas and NPCs. This can give the reader an uneven experience in writing quality, sadly.
- Cool and varied amount of cyphers, and decent amount of small oddities that add to the atmosphere (eventhough they don't really do anything to the game world)
- Fairly decent C&C, although it can take a while for them to affect you as a player.
- The effort system is implemented well, but currently unbalanced before a few patches.
- Nice visuals. Fairly interesting art direction. It could be better, but I'm satisfied with the amount of effects used to create a believeable weird world, and the mixture of 2d/3d art.
- Fairly decent soundtrack/OST by Mark Morgan
- The Mere system is well executed, and gives interesting perspectives to changing the past and interacting with the overall story.
- Decent/good technical performance. No crashes, outright bugs or anything else, flat 60 fps with no dips in most areas on gtx 970 i7 4970k

The Bad
- Severe lack of VA throughout the game, and good VA aswell. Major NPC should have voices, as a minimum.
- Unused potential of the Tides system and how it affects the world, NPC's. Also not very transparant to the player, how the tides swing in terms of choices.
- Cut content rears its ugly head in places, where it seems very obvious that a decision was made.
- The game is way too easy, especially as a mindreading Nano. Skillchecks are far too easy, because it's too easy to achieve success with plenty of effort/edge points.
- Lackluster sound design, not much ambience, not alot of variance in sounds and so on when exploring the world.
- Very bad portrait art design. Some are okay, most are embarassingly bad (Erritis)
- Some might find the game uses abit too much exposition in terms of descriptions of NPCs and places (didn't bother me too much, though, I liked it)
- Some might find the UI bad. It has its shortcomings, I kind of agree, but the UI didn't really bother me that much.

7.5/10 - The good outweighs the bad for me, but I understand why many people will focus on the bad parts, and become very frustrated with this, thus giving the game a much lower score/review.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeelTheRads

Arcane

It keeps crashing or bugging out, especially during crises or when using items.

Serves you right for playing consoletard versions.
Never crashed for me, but crises are bugged indeed, sometimes enemies just won't act for example and you just have to reload. I also took an ability that allowed me to summon some ally and the first thing he did was to stand still and lock up the crisis.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Severe lack of VA throughout the game, and good VA aswell. Major NPC should have voices, as a minimum.

how's that a bad thing

Because I expect most AA/AAA cRPGs to have some form of quality VA work. VA work gives the game life and depth. PoE had decent VA, and even the classics had a fair bit of VA (Fallout etc, Arcanum, even P:ST.)

Last edited by a moderator:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
VA was given as one of the reason for reducing the number of companions and it's one of the reasons I believe.
So, consider that.

Furthermore, inXile is not an AAA company, they're just AAA-wannabe, which is the worst you can be. Like a handicapped competing at the Olympics.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
No one wants a full VA, but party banter, combat barks, narrator. all need to be voiced. There's a reason "war never changes" is a phrase every gamer recognizes, it's because Ron Perlman read it.

Turjan

Arcane
44385 Backers (& Early Access buyers) had already activated their keys on Steam before Numenera's release. Even if we presume that the other half of the backers activated their keys on GOG (which maybe isn't that much of a stretch considering PST is GOG exclusive), inXile would at absolute most have sold around 42000 copies on Steam from release til yesterday.
This calculation is also not completely correct because you could convert your Steam EA key for a GOG key prior to release date.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom