Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
game isn't even out and ppl are already defensive, is this the new ni-oh?

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
From the trailer, it looks like it has some reminiscing to the Nier variety of game modes - with 2D sideview sequences.

It does, sideview and top down sequences.

Main problem is that it looks way too fucken easy.

Well, you can set it on Very Hard with no lock-on and die in one hit. :positive:

Easy has stuff like Auto-Aim, Auto-Heal or Auto-Dodge, so the game really plays itself. Mostly for people that just want to enjoy the story I guess.

Hard disables Auto-Aim but keeps some of the others for later parts of the game (where you may actually need it). The AI also improves, using an advanced skill-set and dodging more themselves.

Very hard is just one-shot on almost everything, and you cannot use consumables either (not that it matters much).

Most of these things are part of the chip-system, basically passive boosts like more HP, more Damage, HP Leech or the aforementioned auto-things. Every part of the UI like the map or Health Bar are also part of the chip-system and can therefore be removed aswell. You can also remove the Operating System itself, killing you immediately while still in the menu. Switching out certain UI-elements could enable you to put in another damage enhancing chip, so maybe that's worth it for very hard.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
From the trailer, it looks like it has some reminiscing to the Nier variety of game modes - with 2D sideview sequences.

It does, sideview and top down sequences.

Main problem is that it looks way too fucken easy.

Well, you can set it on Very Hard with no lock-on and die in one hit. :positive:

Easy has stuff like Auto-Aim, Auto-Heal or Auto-Dodge, so the game really plays itself. Mostly for people that just want to enjoy the story I guess.

Hard disables Auto-Aim but keeps some of the others for later parts of the game (where you may actually need it). The AI also improves, using an advanced skill-set and dodging more themselves.

Very hard is just one-shot on almost everything, and you cannot use consumables either (not that it matters much).

Most of these things are part of the chip-system (basically passive boosts like more HP, more Damage, HP Leech or the aforementioned auto-things. Every part of the UI like the map or Health Bar are also part of the UI and can therefore be removed aswell. You can also remove the Operating System itself, killing you immediately while still in the menu.

:hero:

polo

Magister
60 bucks seems like too much, will wait for meaty discount

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Don't worry, there is more than one way to kill yourself in the menu/inventory. This one is just the most obvious one.

I like it because it's so obvious, but also so unexpected if you use other (non Yoko Taro) games as comparison.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
I like it because it's so obvious, but also so unexpected if you use other games as comparison.

It's sad that doing obviously stupid stuff, like drinking poison, usually doesn't kill you in games nowadays. Thankfully Drakengard/Nier never succumbed to this shitty design. There's plenty of situations in the game where doing something you would expect to just be "denied" to you because it might have bad consequences just works. It's part of the game.

And there's 20 optional bad endings you get for finding shit like that. Getting told "hurry up and do X" and simply fucking around/running in the opposite direction usually leads to a game over and one of these endings.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Since they can't teasing PC gamers in general anymore, now they decided to making fun of SEA gamers:

aDlc7Pf.png
seriously fuck them. i want to give them money, they dont want it. piratebay.irg it is.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
An unfortunate problem with all Plat games.

Platinum games are really meant to be played on the highest difficulty, but given how they're rather short in length, Platinum intends for players to play through the game multiple times in order to get a hang of the game mechanics before moving on to higher difficulties, which is also done through locking higher difficulties until you complete the game, and player upgrades which carry over through New Game+.

F.E. When I started playing Metal Gear Rising on Normal, it was a crash course of constant deaths before I understood the mechanics (partly because the tutorial never made sure if you knew the very basics of parrying). But once I beat the game and started another playthrough on Hard, everything felt like a breeze as I felt more confident in my ability to dodge/parry blows and get S-ranks. Hard doesn't make things really hard, but on Very Hard nearly every combat encounter gets overhauled to include enemies which normally appeared late game, has the enemy count increased, enemies are much more aggressive in terms of attacking, and you have a thinner margin of error to work with given how easily your HP bar can get depleted. I still don't know what Revengeance is like, though.

Nevertheless, Platinum understands that to sell their shit to people that aren't hardcore they have to make it accessible to newer players through easier difficulties and generous item drops. Of course using items ruins your mission rank and should let the player know that they ideally should not be using items at all to be considered 'good' by the game, but the average gaijin doesn't care about scoring (and in turn calls the game too easy for being allowed to itemfeed their way through).

This time, Yoko Taro proves to be a great match for Platinum, as instead of just expecting the game to replay through the same story several times, Taro games also feature multiple endings and story branches which also give a story reason to see everything the game has to offer, on top of replaying the game on a higher difficulty. Though I haven't played the game and wouldn't know for sure if you actually have to play the game on higher difficulties to get all endings.

hackncrazy

Savant
So, what's the verdict on this?

Is it better than the original?

The soundtrack is still amazing?

Saark

Arcane
Patron

It's a damn good sequel. The gameplay improved a lot, and the story may not tug at your heart as much as the original but it's still an extremely enjoyable story and game - and depressing. It ties up a lot of open endings of the original, both with characters re-appearing and archives found throughout the game. I thought that the game lost some steam here and there, but that's to be expected with over 80hours played and still not even close to completing all weapon stories.

The OST is on par with the original, though they enhanced the effects a lot. Going into the hacking minigame automatically changes the music to be in an 8-bit style, while the menu fades out the music by about 50% so it seems to be some kind of choir. They also re-use some of the best titles from the original for scenes that greatly relate to the first game or are just straightout deja-vus.

I wouldn't be surprised if they re-mastered the original if this game sells well.

Last edited:

hackncrazy

Savant

It's a damn good sequel. The gameplay improved a lot, and the story may not tug at your heart as much as the original but it's still an extremely enjoyable story and game - and depressing. It ties up a lot of open endings of the original, both with characters re-appearing and archives found throughout the game. I thought that the game lost some steam here and there, but that's to be expected with over 80hours played and still not even close to completing all weapon stories.

The OST is on par with the original, though they enhanced the effects a lot. Going into the hacking minigame automatically changes the music to be in an 8-bit style, while the menu fades out the music by about 50% so it seems to be some kind of choir. They also re-use some of the best titles from the original for scenes that greatly relate to the first game or are just straightout deja-vus.

I wouldn't be surprised if they re-mastered the original if this game sells well.

Interesting, I think I'm gonna get it. If anything, I can try to lurk under 2B skirt.

tet666

Augur
I've already pre-ordered this game but I wish it didn't have Denuvo. It makes no sense man, including more invasive drm might actually cause more people to not buy your games. Witcher 3 sold very well without any of this nonsense.

source: http://store.steampowered.com//eula/524220_eula_0

/rant

Was to be expected i doubt you will see many AAA games without it from now on and SE was allrdy using it in pretty much everything which wasn't a budget title or rerealease.
I doesn't matter much these days (at least for the pirates :D ) since cracks are coming in sooner and sooner, CPY also loves japanese games so they will try to crack this asap.

lightbane

Arcane
That game. :lol: The amount of detail I've seen is amazing. Even clothing damage too!

It turns out that there's a way to destroy 2B (aka the girl)'s skirt to show off her nice ass, but doing so makes 9S (the boy) lose his pants as well

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom