Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Forged of Blood, a turn-based tactical fantasy RPG, now on Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Critical Forge; Forged of Blood

Forged of Blood is an upcoming turn-based tactical fantasy RPG from Indonesia-based studio Critical Forge that first came to our attention in October. Although its premise doesn't seem incredibly unique, the game's decent production values and comprehensive development updates have aroused some interest on our forums. Now the developers are seeking to augment their budget with a Kickstarter campaign. They've put together a nice long pitch video that includes the game's opening cinematic, a bit of gameplay and the obligatory visit to the studio. Here's that and an overview of its basic features:

Forged of Blood is a fantasy turn-based tactical RPG that focuses on creating a deep tactical gameplay experience centered around meaningful choice in a morally ambiguous world. With this game, we are merging a deep turn-based tactical game with an elaborate RPG experience that takes players on a journey to reclaim a lost kingdom.

At it’s core, Forged of Blood is a 3D isometric tactical game that will force players to think critically and creatively both in and out of the tactical combat phase. Positioning, build efficiency, and tactics can mean the difference between victory and defeat in battle, while managing your characters outside of combat poses new and interesting opportunities.

Developing Forged of Blood has, and continues to be a labor of love that turned this passion project into the sort of game we’ve always dreamed about making. From tabletop to the classic RPGs of old, our’s is a project in which we plan on merging the elements of classic RPGS and tactical games into a contemporary take on the genre.

The vision for Forged of Blood has always been to create a deep tactical experience currently in development for the PC. That means character building customization that will have tactical consequences in as many ways as possible and setting it all against a brand new fantasy backdrop. So far, we’ve created an experience for our game that, while focused on the tactical experience, will develop interesting choices on and off the battlefield.
  • A Fantasy World Afire: Our game introduces a morally grey hard fantasy world on the cusp of a predestined upheaval. Forged of Blood will throw you into a beautiful new world filled with both monsters and men across multiple environments in 3D; in a world that has a richly developed history.
  • Meaningful Choices Throughout the Game: This is a design philosophy that we’ve truly hammered into every facet of the game. Whether it be the branching narratives, the tactical combat, or the minutia of character building, every choice will have meaningful consequence.
  • Build Your Characters Your Way: With 9 weapons and weapon ability trees, 6 general ability trees, a vast magic crafting system, the characters under your command are yours to build from the ground up to fit any tactical need.
  • A True Spellcrafting System: This is the spellcrafting system of our dreams, with a staggering 3822 unique effect combinations and an incalculable number of permutations when you account for effect and global modifiers.
  • All Things (Tactically) Considered: Once on the battlefield, players will have to take into consideration a plethora of tactical factors. Will you have the right composition of characters to take on a particular challenge? Is the high ground worth taking or would the costs be too high? Build efficiency, positioning, and turn order all matter - will you be able to take advantage of it?
Forged of Blood is a decidedly ambitious project for a studio for our size, but we have lived up to our wildest expectations in each build we push out. We’ve committed our own money to not only start the studio, but to finish the game, but we’ve taken the project to Kickstarter to make the game even better with your help.

Critical Forge are looking to raise 150,000 Singapore dollars (that's a bit over 100,000 USD) for Forged of Blood. You can secure a copy for just 15 Singapore dollars, with an estimated release date of June 2018. I doubt the campaign is going to get anywhere, but this looks like a game that's going to get made no matter what, so make sure to vote for it on Steam Greenlight too.

Aenra

Since the devs are reading our comments, can we have some extra info on the crafting please? It's usually the one element that fucks everything up and not just in Indies, so any assurances/clarifications would surely be welcome.

Milo

Critical Forge
Developer
Since the devs are reading our comments, can we have some extra info on the crafting please? It's usually the one element that fucks everything up and not just in Indies, so any assurances/clarifications would surely be welcome.

Hello and sure! For the basics, as you conquer territories and complete story arcs, you can get resources, such as Mithral. You can use the resources to craft weapons, armours and shields of different materials. Depending on how advanced your workshop is, you can get different quality levels. You can also use Magurite to enchant your weapons, armours, and shields. Do you have a specific question in mind?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Looks like a worthy effort to try new things. You got my lunch money.

From what we have seen, one thing I dislike is the tactical grid, feels like it's too prominent, maybe too stylized? It should just be noticeable enough to give relevant information, but otherwise get out of the way. Age of Decadence had this problem too. But maybe there's just no way to make a grid look nice. Fallout 1-2 just hid the grid, except on your cursor; same with Divinity:OS.

Milo

Critical Forge
Developer
Looks like a worthy effort to try new things. You got my lunch money.

From what we have seen, one thing I dislike is the tactical grid, feels like it's too prominent, maybe too stylized? It should just be noticeable enough to give relevant information, but otherwise get out of the way. Age of Decadence had this problem too. But maybe there's just no way to make a grid look nice. Fallout 1-2 just hid the grid, except on your cursor; same with Divinity:OS.

Hello, thanks for your contribution!

The grid system isn't finalized yet. We are still quite a ways from release and there's a lot of features that are WIP still.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks like a cool game to me, already pretty good production values and gameplay footage, some very interesting features like the magic crafting or the personality plot thingy. Backed!

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well my criticism is that you didn't pay enough to bigger gaming sites to promote you since the campaign is going too slow.

Milo

Critical Forge
Developer
Well my criticism is that you didn't pay enough to bigger gaming sites to promote you since the campaign is going too slow.

Oh, well, that's more bunny's area than mine. I just deal with game design :) I'll let him know you said so though.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Oh, well, that's more bunny's area than mine. I just deal with game design :) I'll let him know you said so though.

Morons.
In game development, advertising and promotion is much more important than game design and so budget, attention and resources should be allocated as such.
This is why you lowly indies will never make great games, while the real gaming companies like EA, Bethesda and Ubisoft make all of the best most fun awesome ...

Fuck, my sarcasm pool is depleted, I'll finish that line after I've found a potion or a safe resting area.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

After having partially watched your kickstarter pitch -all I could stand, what with the absence of CGI, celebrity voice acting/name dropping or female nudity- I have decided to throw some money your way.

The bare minimum required to play it, mind you... Your squinted eyes make me suspicious that you're hiding something. Have you considered hiring white people to fool dumb Americans and racists into giving you money? Polish people or White Russian -Latvian/Estonian or whatever the countries are called that will be conquered by Putin in a few months- are notoriously cheap and can, with some training and a baseball cap, at a cursory glance pass for regular white people.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Drowed

Arcane
As I said in the other topic about this, the game looks really good. But I don't think that we're in a "good place" for another Kickstarter after Torment's release. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

ArchAngel

Arcane
As I said in the other topic about this, the game looks really good. But I don't think that we're in a "good place" for another Kickstarter after Torment's release. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.
Kind of unfair. This game actually looks to have real gameplay.

Milo

Critical Forge
Developer

After having partially watched your kickstarter pitch -all I could stand, what with the absence of CGI, celebrity voice acting/name dropping or female nudity- I have decided to throw some money your way.

The bare minimum required to play it, mind you... Your squinted eyes make me suspicious that you're hiding something. Have you considered hiring white people to fool dumb Americans and racists into giving you money? Polish people or White Russian -Latvian/Estonian or whatever the countries are called that will be conquered by Putin in a few months- are notoriously cheap and can, with some training and a baseball cap, at a cursory glance pass for regular white people.

Good luck.

Last I checked I was white and in the kickstarter video :-P

Milo

Critical Forge
Developer

Morons.
In game development, advertising and promotion is much more important than game design and so budget, attention and resources should be allocated as such.
This is why you lowly indies will never make great games, while the real gaming companies like EA, Bethesda and Ubisoft make all of the best most fun awesome ...

Fuck, my sarcasm pool is depleted, I'll finish that line after I've found a potion or a safe resting area.

Thanks for contributing!

daveyd

Savant

Good luck.

Last I checked I was white and in the kickstarter video :-P

But you're not wearing a baseball cap! So logically one might suspect that you could be an Asian spy with skin bleaching and blepharoplasty.

Regardless, I have decided to back your KS with my measly $14USD (but hey that's slightly more than I make in an hour). However, to make up for cheapness I will spread word of your KS all over the nerdiest parts of the interwebs.

Milo

Critical Forge
Developer
Needs hexes and not squares.

Hello there. Well, if you go to the main thread on our game that started about 6 months ago, I believe my very first post was about why we went with squares rather than hexes. If you have any questions though, feel free to ask! :)

hollowmoons

Novice
Combat system seems to favor magic pretty heavily. Are sword & board characters still a viable option?

joesys

Critical Forge
Patron
Developer
Combat system seems to favor magic pretty heavily. Are sword & board characters still a viable option?

Yes, it will be balanced to make both magic and non magic viable.

I do admit we show magic more in our video and KS because it looks prettier to draw people in.... :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom