Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

fobia

Is there consensus?
It wasn't fleshed out very well in-game.
As in: Animancers were usually portrayed as some weird variaton of necromancer.

I think even Sawyer mentioned on a livestream or in an AMA, that animancers and animancy itself will be better represented in Deadfire, that is in all it's aspects and results.

In general, the concept is promising, but it remains to see what they do with it.

POE1 certainly didn't exhaust the possibilities.

Rev

Arcane
I suppose they can retcon it and say that Thaos just THOUGHT they were fake constructs and Iovarra was a deranged manifestation of his mind. Done deal. It's not like Thaos wasn't a debilitated psycho.
They won't though, it's pretty clear that the gods being created by the Engwithan is canon for the devs.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
I suppose they can retcon it and say that Thaos just THOUGHT they were fake constructs and Iovarra was a deranged manifestation of his mind. Done deal. It's not like Thaos wasn't a debilitated psycho.

Too late for that, because what little we know about Deadfire still confirms that these "gods" are powerless to do anything without mortal assistance.

c5639bf8b09ac0dbb6fae7651ae255679037bbe7ac535c5d67ba4d6e2deb2917.jpg

What does a "god" need with an Adra statue?

And what are the implications of huge chunks of it having been ripped off by the "Master Below"? Will the missing Adra regrow, not be referenced at all, or will this be a literal Achilles' heel that will be the key to defeating it later on?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
And what are the implications of huge chunks of it having been ripped off by the "Master Below"? Will the missing Adra regrow, not be referenced at all, or will this be a literal Achilles' heel that will be the key to defeating it later on?

Josh said it's whole again, by magic. Yay.

Sizzle

Arcane
The gods aren't exactly powerless, they just have a pact of not directly interfering (which was broken several times before - by Eothas and Abydon - both of which got "destroyed" because of it), which results in a status quo. They constantly form and break alliances between themselves.

I recall that one of the dialogues (either in the base game, or TWM, I forget which) outright states that without this pact, there would be a serious war between them that would very likely engulf most of Eora as well.

So when a more subtle approach is needed, they do what many pantheons across our mythology have done - empower/guide/manipulate mortal agents to do their dirty work, all the while having plausible deniability.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Animancy is trying to scientifically categorize and explain souls and the usage thereof. I don't see why that wouldn't work, I've never bought the magic/science dichotomy because magic could be a scientific category as well. If a wizard is able to replicate a fireball, then it's a scientific issue and can be explained and studied.

Rev

Arcane
Irenaeus why are you defending these pagan false deities of PoE? As a crusader, you should be the first to say that they're false idols and that there is only one true god, above all of them. +M

Sherry

Arcane

Those characters look great. Deadfire is going to be a looker.

Hi!

Huh. Josh didn't show the most important one that I would like to have seen from during a dust storm if you are wearing a scarf in the neck slot that character's animation shows the scarf covering up the face from the bridge of one's nose down to the chin and gives a bonus to character. No one wants to be a cowboy right? Unless you have your saddle on a horse who is going tat-ta-ta-tat-ta chenga, of course.

Hats should be in though to protect the party from sun while exploring the sandy portions of Deadfire.

Thanks,
Sherry

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

What, they're going to keep them?
Most probably no.

I really hope they leave the hats because Pillars had hats with the little feather and it showed on our character if we wore them so why not have a number of different variations of hats to customize our character or even just clothes in general? It would be nice if we are wearing a shirt in the armor slot right and equip a vest but the shirt is not removed because it knows that a vest can fit over a shirt and we are now wearing shirt/vest and it displays like in the image with shirt/vest bonuses added together. It would allow different combinations for armor bonus if multiple layers of gear could be worn right? Like in Pillars why could we not wear a cloak and a necklace! No it was one or the other so item slot stacking would be a neat feature I think because then there could be a lot of different variations of customization with the look of our character and party and this adds to rping.

Shirt + vest + jacket could offer a layer of protection but give great bonus to speed and movement attacks.
Armor could offer a much better layer of protection but reduced speed and movement attacks.

Thanks,
Sherry

Last edited:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=286#updates

Hello backers, investors, and fans -- we've got a quick update for you on the state of the campaign and some news on when you can start receiving your rewards.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F2e4503622c20fb4c63a57171a7a7088cb8ed36a5%2Foriginal.png%3F1488912815

First off, we've hit ~$4,580,000 in total funding, putting us one step closer to unlocking our penultimate stretch goal: Sea Monsters & Fishing. If you're wondering how we continue to fund, it's thanks to our slacker backer functionality available on the Fig site, or you can use Stripe or PayPal through our portal at Obsidian.net. As you're reading this, we have about 48 days remaining until slacker backer funding goes away and the stretch goals we haven't reached disappear forever, so tell a friend!

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F7aa046753c7eb1f3e564dbf79a0593ed630ffc39%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1488400894

Starting tomorrow, we are including a 'guest cart' option on the backer site. Additionally, all Fig pledges will be transferred to the Backer Portal next week. We'll update you when this happens. Let us know if you have any questions about this process, we're always happy to help.

Stay tuned for another update next week, diving into more details about Pillars II development!

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

The Fallout: New Vegas vibe intensifies :D

Those characters look great. Deadfire is going to be a looker.

Those type of hats aren't terribly anachronistic actually, surprised Sawyer doesn't know that. Broad brim hats with flat tops were used by the Spanish very commonly in 16th and 17th centuries. In fact they are how tricorne hats came to be, so they predate tricorne which I imagine will be in the game. It's also how these hats came to be known as the "cowboy hats", Spanish herders used them in Mexico and Florida which was also picked up by English settlers.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/158132227576/hey-josh-i-saw-in-one-of-the-poe-2-qa-streams
giuseppe1371 asked:
Hey Josh, I saw in one of the PoE 2 Q&A streams somebody mentioned in their question that, lore wise, Priest can't actually heal. I was wondering where that information came from? If true, I guess what the priests are doing in game is keeping the party's energy and spirits up as opposed to keeping their bodies mended?

It comes from the Endurance/Health division in Pillars. Characters lose both Endurance and Health when they get damaged, but only Endurance can be rapidly recovered through the use of magic (or when combat ends). Health is restored by resting.

Health can be restored by this talent: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Field_Triage

Salvo

Arcane
http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/158132227576/hey-josh-i-saw-in-one-of-the-poe-2-qa-streams
giuseppe1371 asked:
Hey Josh, I saw in one of the PoE 2 Q&A streams somebody mentioned in their question that, lore wise, Priest can't actually heal. I was wondering where that information came from? If true, I guess what the priests are doing in game is keeping the party's energy and spirits up as opposed to keeping their bodies mended?

It comes from the Endurance/Health division in Pillars. Characters lose both Endurance and Health when they get damaged, but only Endurance can be rapidly recovered through the use of magic (or when combat ends). Health is restored by resting.

Health can be restored by this talent: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Field_Triage

Unfortunately that talent is pretty, pretty bad.

Unless you're playing on a low difficulty, in which case it can do.

Prime Junta

giuseppe1371 asked:

Also by Infuse with Vital Essence (spell or potion). Just don't let it run out before combat ends. Dunno if it's intentional but it works, and ironically makes wizards the most strategically-durable characters.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

These embeddings slow shit down btw. Thanks for the post edit, I did it with quotes on purpose.

BTW, Sizzle's quoted post sounds like good news.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm confused as to their goal with the combat system. It sounds like Josh wants to go full grognard, but will they?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Everything comes at a cost young padawan. Tightened up tactical mechanics in exchange for a de-emphasis of long-term strategic resource management. Do you pay the price?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom