Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

RuySan

Augur
If you don't like the genre nothing will convince you, but it is worth playing. It does what all the fanboys claim Skyrim does so well. It blows that game out of the fucking water. The Wii U offers experiences you can't get on other systems. Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 are crazy fun if you aren't turned off by cutesy shit. I would not buy a Switch right now, but getting a refurbished Wii U is a good idea if you like to play older consoles. I know I'm looking to buy another Dreamcast.

From a quick check in, the wii U is almost the same price as the Switch, which taking into consideration that not much more games are going to be released, doesn't seem like a good deal. Xenoblade Chronicles X looks juicy though.

Besides, isn't wii u emulation getting somewhere?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
If you don't like the genre nothing will convince you, but it is worth playing. It does what all the fanboys claim Skyrim does so well. It blows that game out of the fucking water. The Wii U offers experiences you can't get on other systems. Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 are crazy fun if you aren't turned off by cutesy shit. I would not buy a Switch right now, but getting a refurbished Wii U is a good idea if you like to play older consoles. I know I'm looking to buy another Dreamcast.

From a quick check in, the wii U is almost the same price as the Switch,
which taking into consideration that not much more games are going to be released, doesn't seem like a good deal. Xenoblade Chronicles X looks juicy though.

Besides, isn't wii u emulation getting somewhere?

I see them for $150 on Ebay. Yeah, emulation is getting somewhere. I'm also talking about modding the actual system in the future, but emulating is almost there. The water physics are having issues on BotW with Cemu I think.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guys, I have a Wii U, but I did not pick this game up yet, because of the price. I am not used to paying €60 for my games, only done it a couple of times in my life (got burned on Diablo 3), and the only game in recent years that I thought was worth that kind of money was The Witcher 3 GOTY (so with DLC included) - because of its mix of scope and quality (and despite its flaws).

Is this worth the price of admission, or should I wait for a price drop (like that would happen :roll: ) or cheaper 2nd hand copies?

RuySan

Augur
Yes, but in some cases the games of Nintendo's consoles value over time. I remember buying tales of symphonia for ten Euros (second hand) and then selling it for sixty two years later.

---

Arcane
Naughty Dog Link :troll:

Cattura.png

Max Heap

Arcane
Can't really understand the hype about this game. Gotta admit nothing really sold me on it so far.

The core features seem to be run of the mill open world and grinding features.
The second I read some shit about crafting I normally get skeptical.

Weather having an effect is a nice touch though.
Also some good butt graphics as it seems.

RuySan

Augur
Can't really understand the hype about this game. Gotta admit nothing really sold me on it so far.

Open world games have been a broken promise for a long while. Only Morrowind and The Witcher 3 rose among the copy pasted drivel most of these games offer (Ubisoft map-cleaning clones specially).

Apparently the new Zelda is different. And if that's the case, that's reason enough for hype. But not enough for me to buy the switch or wii u.

RuySan

Augur
Gothic 1/2 have excellent level design, but i don't know if i would call them open world. Didn't like Enderal at all. Maybe it's the Skyrim engine and therefore crap combat, but the world seems to much railroaded into canyons.

TW3 has some really amazing level design in parts. I will never forget sailing in the Skellige islets. Kind of reminded me of Wind Waker.

Kraszu

Prophet

There is no tedious grinding in this game, it is more about getting to some place, finding hidden stuff, and completing shrines (1-2 rooms mini dungeons that usually have some puzzle to solve, and there are few with some unique enemy). Runes, and parachute, and ability to climb are also great. Also the combat isn't horrible like in Skyrim, and there is no level scaling.

Not having traditional XP system might be a good thing for the game, as it does discourage killing everything, and grinding on enemies.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Reconsidering my opinion, I acknowledge The Legend of Zelda may very well be a great game. And indeed, judging from the things I read here, they are the type of things I would love to see in a Western RPG. That said, that I can recognize something as a "great game" doesn't mean I will personally like it, hence my lack of interest for Zelda.

Also: Morrowind wasn't a great open world game. Gothic certainly was, but not Morrowind.

Last edited:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Almost 20 hours in I've yet do enter a proper dungeon. So much other stuff to do.

Max Stats

Liturgist
Guys, I have a Wii U, but I did not pick this game up yet, because of the price. I am not used to paying €60 for my games, only done it a couple of times in my life (got burned on Diablo 3), and the only game in recent years that I thought was worth that kind of money was The Witcher 3 GOTY (so with DLC included) - because of its mix of scope and quality (and despite its flaws).

Is this worth the price of admission, or should I wait for a price drop (like that would happen :roll: ) or cheaper 2nd hand copies?

IMO it's worth the price, but I also happened to get it for $45, not $60 because Amazon Prime. I still would have paid $60 if I had to though. Not buy an entire Switch just for it though, the Wii U version is not much of a downgrade at all, certainly not enough to make that a good decision yet.

Machocruz

Arcane
Since it's Nintendo, I would assume that this particular open world game has a level of polish and control that the vast majority of others, if any, don't match. I thought the control in TW3 was slippery, and the camera indoors was atrocious. Far Cry games seem pretty polished, but I've only played a handful of hours past the first game.

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

Where did you get the hat?

Looks like the Climber's Bandana (+ climbing speed). If so, it's in a shrine in the Dueling Peaks, just above the river IIRC. I got it on the way to Kakariko Village.

Not only does the climber's set buff your climbing speed it also doubles as a pretty dope Axl Rose character skin. Best set in the game imo.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Where did you get the hat?

Looks like the Climber's Bandana (+ climbing speed). If so, it's in a shrine in the Dueling Peaks, just above the river IIRC. I got it on the way to Kakariko Village.

Not only does the climber's set buff your climbing speed it also doubles as a pretty dope Axl Rose character skin. Best set in the game imo.

That Bandana is the best item in the game.

Climb speed? yes fucking please cash me outside

---

Arcane
Not really, apart from equipments which boost your stats.
It's still an adventure game, at the end of the day.

And this is the reason why it's a great game: because they managed to do so much changes, while mantaining the essence of the series.

Last edited:

Keldryn

Arcane
If you squint really hard you could think of spirit orbs as XP or character points that you can spend to improve your health or stamina. :P

It has an RPG-like variety of weapons and armor, elixirs that boost speed, attack, defence, cold resistance, stealth, etc. But it doesn't have the stats that are ultimately a defining feature of CRPGs. The sense of progression and near complete freedom do give it a similar feeling to some RPGs, in my opinion. I wouldn't classify it as an RPG, but it's the closest Zelda has been to one since The Adventure of Link.

tet666

Augur
Fantastic Game on shit Hardware as always with ninty (both switch and wii u and i don't just mean the specs), i do love their games i really do but i fucking hate ninty as a company they have the most shit ass backwards management one could think off.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom