Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

A horse of course

So Total War players finally won the Make Love Not War contest...except the Isabella content that's meant to be the "prize" has been confirmed to be the "New Lord" that was added to the Free-LC Future Content months ago: http://wiki.totalwar.com/images/6/69/FLC_Array_13_01_17.png

So the one year Total War "won" is the year in which the prize was actually free content that was always intended to be released right after Bretonnia. CA employees make a laudable effort to tie themselves into knots explaining how this is "free" content that is no longer paid content but that was also always intended to be free content :lol: https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/5vc6i7/so_grace_has_confirmed_that_isabella_is_the_ll_in/

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Re the Bretonnia, I really wouldn't mind having a faction in the main campaign that reigns over a smaller territory and plays a role of a support for the big conflicts, organizes crusades/expeditions against orks/chaos/whatever, defends against incursions, is strongly mission based etc. It would probably be an incline over the current "map painting, only without really map painting and razing/sacking everything on auto, cause I'm way past caring at this point". The thing is, for such thing to work the strategic layer should be at least a bit fun, when it's obviously not and there are no signs of improving. But hey, at least it's free.

Also, does any read any news on whether all the added faction will be getting their regiments of renown (effectively making it a dlc for a dlc), or was this treatment reserved for the four starting factions only?

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
They've got a No-DLC-for-DLC policy, so no (at least as paid content; they may do it at some point for free).

A horse of course

Stream of Bordeleaux campaign. Alberic is just a generic Bretonnian Lord with the armour mixed-and-matched. Even his VA is the same. 10/10 effort CA.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So this releases february 28 for free? Interesting..
Also in order to get all official content currently available except the main game, one would need to pay approximately 60 euros already? What the fuck.

kris

Arcane
Played this a bit and it is the wood elves all over again. It is a bit strange that they release two factions with clear limitations in the same game that they have several factions without them. WE are limited by the amber and the fact they can't conquer cities (only the near worthless outposts). Brettonia are limited by "Peasants", meaning they have a limit on amount of lower tier units they can field without penalties and for cavalry they need to pick abilities for leaders to keep down their upkeep. Yeah, you need to waste 1-3 picks on being able to field cavalry without being ruined. while these things are not runious, they clearly hamper you in the early game and just like with WE you can't go on the offense early on. One more thing, with Brettonia you can't build walls in the smaller cities, so you can look forward to having them looted/razed/taken unless you have armies around. (AI despice assaults)

After having played the empire/dwarfs/Orks/vampire you can't enjoy playing a faction which limit you so much compared to them.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
All the LLs start with the vows unlocked, and they're the ones doing 90% of the serious combat.

I played a bit as Bretonnia-Bretonnia (with the Leon or whatever his names is) and my impressions are pretty much opposite to yours. It's way too easy to gobble up Marienburg, the undead and confederate with everyone and get super strong super fast, one of the southern factions waged a war on me so I conquered them as well just because and it's pretty much game over before Chaos event fired. Made peace with tree huggers cause I don't give a fuck about them and will just kill snowniggers super scary chaos tribes to finish the campaign. Compare that to Empire, who start with one settlement, shitty army and are often attacked by beastmen before you even reach Helmgart.

The real problem of Bretonnia is not the peasant limit, which does not seem like it's going to be a problem at any point (after confederating it's too high if anything). It's the fact that their infantry is beyond horrible. In my first serious battle (against beastmen) my infantry line broke so fast I almost failed to notice while positioning my knights for their charges:lol:

Still, on the penultimate difficulty this faction seems like a real easy mode, even chaos warriors with their ridiculously op units, no need to worry for settlements and just running around the map getting boatload of money were more of a challenge.

kris

Arcane
I played the Enchantress and she didn't have any vows unlocked.
Also she seemingly only have two venues for conquering, other brettonians or Estalia.

My complaint isn't so much about difficult though as it is about enjoyment. Empire are the most enjoyable IMO, partly because they can be surrounded by enemies (or possible expansion options). Maybe Leon is more fun to play, not that you painted that picture ;)

Since you played a bit longer, didn't the AI go around burning any of your towns? My tactic was always to build walls everywhere since the AI even ignored walled towns.

Moink

Cipher
Vlad and Isabella's Romantic Vacation is pretty tough at the start, you start with a shitty province with no solid units (Vlad has an army of Fell bats) and you are surrounded by enemies.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Oh, that's possible. Leon and the other guy start with vows unlocked.

No need to conquer rest of Bretonnia unless you really want to. They're always super nice to you and I just started with all the heraldry technologies and confederated them one after another.

The only factions that ever entered my territory were Eastalia and Beastmen, they raided a bit and besieged one city, but I just promptly kicked them out.

Personally I liked chaos the most, if only for the fact that they ignore the inane strategic layer for the most part. Shame they are super easy as well.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Louen starts off with an amazing army (~15 units, IIRC) and can go on the offensive against Marienburg by Turn 2.

By the time you conquer the city, there'll be an Ork incursion, but it won't be hard to deal with an assault. And when you eventually confederate the other Bret states, you'll be looking at ~45 peasant cap (with the +1 tech), which is more than enough for 3-4 stacks. Eventually, you won't even need infantry to hold a line and that cap will become almost immaterial.

Battle Pilgrims are pretty badass for a unit you can grab relatively early. And unlike most Bret infantry, they will fight to the last man, every time.

kris

Arcane
Seems i missed the wall. Bretonnia just had their city walls moved to main chain building.

Again though. I am NOT complaining that Brettonia is difficult. I am complaining that they are more boring than the less restricted factions with which you can easily have a battle per turn. With the Brettonian faction it is a lot of sitting around, confederating and so on.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know if we have a thread for Creative Assembly. If yes, please move this there:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/07/sega-buys-crytek-black-sea-for-creative-assembly/
Sega buys Crytek Black Sea for Creative Assembly
Alice O'Connor on March 7th, 2017 at 12:01 am

06totalwarslavic.jpg

Sega have bought Crytek Black Sea, one of the studios the financially-troubled Crytek was closing, and given it to Creative Assembly. Now that’s romance. Creative Assembly are, of course, the gang best known for the Total War games and Alien: Isolation, while Crytek Black Sea (formerly Black Sea Studios) were behind real-time strategy games Knight of Honor and WorldShift and MOBA Arena of Fate. Now they’re pals, working on mysterious unannounced games, and known as Creative Assembly Sofia.

Sega’s announcement explains that Creative Assembly (they’ve recently dropped the The) are now pretty flipping huge, saying “Over the last year, Creative Assembly’s headcount has risen by 37% and is now over 500-people strong.” They’ve got three studios in the UK alone. And now one in Bulgaria.

Jurgen Post, the president of SEGA Europe, said:

“The acquisition of Crytek Black Sea further enhances Sega Europe’s development capabilities and strengthens our ability to output diverse and engaging content for our IP. Creative Assembly Sofia will be working exclusively on content for Creative Assembly and will prove an invaluable asset given the multitude of unannounced titles currently in the works. This acquisition represents another step in the right direction for the growth of our global business, underlining our commitment to add value to our existing studios and our continued support for the UK games industry.”

What are those unannounced projects? We don’t know, because Sega haven’t announced them. We do know that they are working on a Total Warhammer sequel and a new historical Total War visiting a new era, and the free-to-play Total War: Arena. You’d hope for some sort of follow-up to Alien: Isolation, wouldn’t you? It’s still so unexpectedly good for a team’s first FPS.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The creators of Knights of Honor working on DLC for Total War... That is just sad (but KoH was a very long time ago, and pretty buggy, but its strategic layer was so much better than any of the Total War).

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Battle Pilgrims are pretty badass for a unit you can grab relatively early. And unlike most Bret infantry, they will fight to the last man, every time.
How does that work exactly? They don't have "unbreakable" in the trait list.

Anyway, did they screw with the autoresolve battle predictions (possibly to stop people from autoresolving everything)? The prediction bar is routinely 60-99% red in encounters where I have overwhelming superiority and can win with 0-100 casualties when commanding personally.

And I remember someone posting something about them patching out AI sacking/razing settlements and switching to forced march while laughing and farting in your face? They still do that in my game:/

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Are the control zone working properly ? I have the feeling AI's armies are just passing through ZOCs like nothing. Already had this feeling with AttilaTW (which I just played a few hours since CAI was acting weird).

kris

Arcane
And I remember someone posting something about them patching out AI sacking/razing settlements and switching to forced march while laughing and farting in your face? They still do that in my game:/

Yeah, same here.

although yesterday the game broke all my save games. I couldn't load any save game anymore.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Any good AI mods for this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom