Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Seaking4

Learned
So people, what was your favourite part of the game? I think mine was when I anally violated the Bloom.

There was a meeting. These guys got together, and somebody said, wouldn't it be cool if there was this climactic moment where you had to get through the Bloom's sphincter? And you could try forcing it open by Bashing, or getting it to gently relax with Lore: Natural, or tickle it with Quick Fingers? And then someone said, why just one, let's make it so they have to do all three? And then the others said, yeah that's cool, they'll love it, but make sure that there's this super-tense music going and enemies swarming from everywhere so they'll be fighting for their lives to crawl up that stinky pink hole? And then everybody was like :highfive: and now THAT'S what a proper Planescape: Torment sequel is all about.

I see that the Torment people were inspired by the worst part of System Shock 2.

Hellion

Arcane
3b73e98046c545b18ea93da65dc999de.png

https://inxile-entertainment.com/careers?act=view&id=20

Anyone feel like applying? I guess the job mostly revolves around deleting negative posts and talking to Techland.

DemonKing

Arcane
I backed this years ago and then barely followed it since and I can't say I'm disappointed with the finished product so far. The setting is nicely bizarre and so are a lot of the characters. I'm not getting worked up about cut content or lack of VO but just enjoying the finished product. The graphics are great - I'm still in Sagus Cliffs but so far I think they're an improvement over PoE.

I have to admit I've barely noticed the music but it's actually a good game to play late at night when the kids are in bed as you can appreciate it with the volume turned down unlike a lot of other games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh never mind what I said all those days ago about playing a DRM-free copy.

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17327#p183200

The description of the physical edition included the line "The game disc will be DRM-free". I quoted it on Feb 27th:
other guy said:
Zyklon Beekers said:
The backer and retail boxed copies are both going to be Steam versions. That said, every single one of our backers who is getting a boxed copy also gets an additional digital version, and will be able to get the game DRM-free from GOG if they wish.
You've sold the boxed copies with the description "The game disc will be DRM-free": https://torment.inxile-entertainment.co ... arts?id=39

Having to download the entire game from GOG is not the same as getting it without DRM on a physical disc.
Then they stealthily edited out the line from the description.

What they should have done, in my opinion, was to clearly mention in a Kickstarter update that they were no longer offering a DRM-free disc as originally advertised.

How keen, I have to wait several weeks for no particular reason to receive the same lousy Steam-ridden copy anyone else can just buy right now. Nice bait and switch, ineptile. I'm wondering if I should even bother now.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Who cares it is only for console idiots. Good for inXile for milking those fucking peons.

From what I was told, this armor is also included in all the retail versions of the game, PC included.

6a4a9a281a0840dca8849b911a3c45a6.png

So it was definitely Techland's idea.

Fuck retail buyers too. Who the fuck goes to the store to buy a PC game when there is a shitload of ways to do it without wasting time, gas, and energy.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Or, is it possible you actually do not like crpgs? Just stick to your hipster shit and leave this genre to the people who are fans of it.
Whose alt is this?

Ehm, I mean,

What can change the nature of an alt?

Err, I mean,

What does one alt matter?

I am an alt of Infintron's fragmented mind - I'm the small part of him that actually likes rpgs and can answer simple questions and do normal people stuff.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
yup. that's how codex butthurt works. they find whatever new thing to hate, and they will love the previous stuff they said they hate. it's a pretty entertaining cycle
Lies, I still hate W2 from the bottom of my soul.

That is because it is a crpg and you only like kid shit because you are a fucking retarded manchild. Grow the fuck up and start liking games with a little complexity or stick to the Asian games forum you fucking poser.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
T:ToN has some pretty cool ideas somewhere in there, but it took off in the wrong direction really early in the process. Nothing short of a complete remake could salvage it.
And the crazy thing is that it's a game that needs more cutting than adding. Once could probably turn this into a very interesting 10hs game.

If only it had some sort of card battles. That would add about 500+ hours of content for fucking retards, children, and posers.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Shit gets taken out of the game for everyone, you muppet.

This discussion isn't about if going console was good. I clearly and specifically was talking about paid armor for console retards. I fucking hate consoles and console players. I hate people who use controllers on a pc. But, if a developer is going to make a crpg and release it on console I am 100% on board with screwing console users with shitty paid dlc armor or whatever those shitheads are willing to buy. Why? Because fuck them and fuck you posers. If inXile, who made an instant rpg classic with WL2 DC, where character creation mattered, character development mattered (granted the recruitable npcs lessened this, but they had to add that to appease you fucking posers), the combat was great (with the DC version), content was great, and have very few weak spots. This was the ultimate old school crpg. Torment wasn't nearly as good, but the meaningful character development and much superior combat and story focus, made it much better than PST for me. Only posers who literally do not like crpgs can say this game is complete shit. Both inXile games are far more old school than either Obsidian's games, which have meaningless and superficial character creation, development, and combat. But even those games are not even close to being complete shit and are worth buying, playing, and supporting.

I honestly don't understand why you guys post on this site. Wouldn't it make more sense if you posted on one of the bigger general gaming sites so you rpg hate and vehemence can reach a bigger audience that would agree with you? Isn't there a pokemon or Asian game focused site that has far more similar taste to the games you guys like than this one (since it is supposed to be for fans of rpgs)?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Among the IE games, I'd say BGII is best suited for new players.

No. No it isn't. Like, no, it really isn't.

(Sauce? It was the first IE game I played, and I really really really really really REALLY hated it, keeping going out of sheer bloody-mindedness. Until then eventually it clicked and I started to really love it. The great thing about BG2 is that the more you know about it, the better it gets. The bad thing is, if you don't know anything about it, it really wants to make you hate it. Simple example: you'll be running into enemies with immunity to nonmagical weapons almost from the get-go. If you haven't played BG1, IWD or similar, you won't be expecting this, and you will be getting mugged without understanding WTF just happened to you and why.)

I hope you were like seven years old when this happened. BG 2 is about as difficult as peeing.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Nicer GUI, NPC portraits and all that VO!
Video from 2015.
Dammit I was so fucking hyped.. like a virginal teenage girl being introduced to Justin Bieber in the backstage.

What the fuck happened to those amazing portraits? And the UI...

I remember when I first saw this trailer, I was so hyped. Fuck you inXile, I hope they crash and burn:argh:

KevinV12000

Arcane
Video from 2015.
Dammit I was so fucking hyped.. like a virginal teenage girl being introduced to Justin Bieber in the backstage.

I remember when I first saw this trailer, I was so hyped. Fuck you inXile, I hope they crash and burn:argh:

Looking at this video, it's clear to me what happened: they stopped making a computer game and started making a video game for consoles. It's just fucking sad, it what it is.

Ivan

Arcane
While I was mostly feeling down about the game up through Sagus Cliffs, everything from the Valley on (Endless Gate, Sanctuary, and now the Bloom) have built a really good flow. The Bloom especially feels great after the ridiculous amount of npcs in Sagus that wax poetic.
5AB37E661401FA7AE1BC42701641E67CEC764F67

:love:

almondblight

Arcane
The more I see of TToN and hear about it, the more convinced I'm becoming that it was basically just thrown together in maybe 1,5 years, either from the scratch or from the remnants of what they've thrown away. There's no fucking way they've been doing this game since 2013 or 2014.

Yeah, we've known this for a while. After the KS, they were stuck in pre-production for 1.5 years while they were waiting for the Wasteland 2 team to finish up. After only a few months of actual development, we heard about multiple rounds of cuts that apparently lead to problems. Right after that Saunders was fired and replaced by a "closer" who said they were trying to release the game within the next year.

They actually tried to make it seem like a 1.5 or 2 year development cycle was something we should appreciate - "to maintain the quality standard we've set for ourselves, we can't rush through these final stages." I guess we're supposed to be grateful they didn't try to throw the game together in 10 months.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
While I was mostly feeling down about the game up through Sagus Cliffs, everything from the Valley on (Endless Gate, Sanctuary, and now the Bloom) have built a really good flow. The Bloom especially feels great after the ridiculous amount of npcs in Sagus that wax poetic.
5AB37E661401FA7AE1BC42701641E67CEC764F67

:love:

Are you sure that isn't an accidental result of them not having had enough time in development to give these characters in the latter portions of the game the special "poetic" touch?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Video from 2015.

Looking at this video, it's clear to me what happened: they stopped making a computer game and started making a video game for consoles. It's just fucking sad, it what it is.

holy shit the UI is just so much better

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
The more I see of TToN and hear about it, the more convinced I'm becoming that it was basically just thrown together in maybe 1,5 years, either from the scratch or from the remnants of what they've thrown away. There's no fucking way they've been doing this game since 2013 or 2014.

Yeah, we've known this for a while. After the KS, they were stuck in pre-production for 1.5 years while they were waiting for the Wasteland 2 team to finish up. After only a few months of actual development, we heard about multiple rounds of cuts that apparently lead to problems. Right after that Saunders was fired and replaced by a "closer" who said they were trying to release the game within the next year.

They actually tried to make it seem like a 1.5 or 2 year development cycle was something we should appreciate - "to maintain the quality standard we've set for ourselves, we can't rush through these final stages." I guess we're supposed to be grateful they didn't try to throw the game together in 10 months.

Yeah, either way they fucked up, which in the hindsight isn't surprising, and I thought I was exaggerating when I said that they've cut out half of the game.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I gotta admit, I am quite surprised about the total lack of VA in this game. I mean usually it's nice if the game doesn't have VA, because most of the time its shit, but.. damn. This game is SILENT, even the major characters doesn't have much voice.

Starting to think this is honestly a bug, but of course it isn't. Especially also being a console title now, it seems strange, that the game has so little VA.

I'm almost positive that the first early access beta build had alot more voices, even the spectre in The Calm had a voice, I'm sure.

What happend? More cutz? ;(

Prime Junta

I'm almost positive that the first early access beta build had alot more voices, even the spectre in The Calm had a voice, I'm sure.

Did. Not a very good one, mind, but he did have one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom