Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Hey guys - For years now, decades even, I've had a game of Angband going on the ol' work computer, in case phone conferences go on too long, etc. We have a new system at work and of course all these .exe files are VERBOTEN. Jawohl, ja ja ja.

SO - Any good rogue-likes that are browser based?

Help an old gamer out here folks.
https://alt.org/nethack/
There are other sites too that offer Nethack.
like.
http://coolwanglu.github.io/BrowserHack/

ChasinTheTrane

Literate
I love roguelikes, but I'm not a very good gamer so I can never get far. I think the furthest I've gotten in Binding of Isaac is like 30 minutes. How long does it take y'all to get good at your choice of a roguelike?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
North of 20 hours I'd say. 30 minutes is a medium sized run of Isaac, and I could do 4-5 of those on a good day.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Check out Sorcery Quest on Kongregate. It isn't a roguelike but it is a good blobber RPG.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Been without internet aside from my phone for the last week or so, been playing Elona+ (Custom, actually) and actually getting into it this time. Made a golem warmage and actually stuck it out long enough to get a gold bell pet (OP as fuck, gave him my Shield Tonfa as a ranged weapon, he can kill trash for me before I even see it, and tanks stupid amounts of damage, shame they have like no equipment slots or skills) and join the mage guild for infinite usage of basic stuff like magic arrow and sense object.

Some thoughts:

Magic is really really OP in Elona+. Aside from being quite easy to level up enough to be viable for killing shit, it ignores both DV and PV, so basically nothing is going to beat you in a damage race from full hp/mp unless it severely outclasses you. But best of all, it's a huge source of xp. I probably got like 95% of my xp or more from spells. Spending 3 pp for a training session when all my basic attack spells have gotten to 400% growth rate nets me a quarter million xp. Adds up to a lot of extra hp and mp.

HP is the best stat to have, followed by speed. While speed is definitely great for rapid overland travel and it's obvious uses in combat, due to the way the skill system works, pretty much all your combat skills will scale off your HP. If you've got 40 HP, your evasion will never get anywhere because anything capable of raising your evasion skill past 20 or whatever will just one shot you. If you've got 400 hp, eventually your evasion will kick ass while you're shrugging off those 40 hp attacks. The other issue is that more speed = more having to do shit = paying less attention and dying because you didn't notice you were starving while you attacked 400 times to clear out a room full of bats or whatever.

Golems are the best race for the two reasons above. You might think they make shitty wizards compared to fairies, but immunity to dim saves you vs a billion enemies, and a high hp to mp ratio makes it easier to train magic capacity, which eventually makes hp a better resource for spellcasting than mp anyways, since theres no skill to make mp be spent more efficiently. The low starting stats and potentials don't matter in the long run anyways, since they all go up at the same rate from dreams and herbs, which are the only real sources of stats in the long run.

Museums and shops will pay for themselves eventually, but require a lot of time investment and probably aren't worth doing till you're like level 30+ or something.

Always do dungeons you can easily handle. Dungeons have the second best payouts in the game vs time invested. Gold, plat, medals, spellbooks, and actual decent gear.

Get travel skill ASAP. Will passively level all your shit a considerable amount, and train speed to boot. My golem has gone from 45 to 60 base speed almost entirely from travel and swimming. It's also great for levelling those brand new skills that are too shitty to use effectively and therefore hard to train, like cooking or any of the crafting skills. Once you have travelling, basically all skills are worth getting just because it's more free xp and stat training.

Use speed potions to help catch bells. Much easier to get them to 0 hp on your turn if your speed is boosted. And they're totally worth the effort to obtain.

Dungeon levels seem to scale off of fame or levels or something. I tried doing only level 2-3 dungeons to keep them low and easy to farm but they shot up quite a bit anyways. Once I got strong enough I said fuck it and started doing ones around level ~10 and they haven't really changed at all. Even found a level 1 dungeon recently.

Do the scripted/plot quests. Best return on time invested, lots of easy plat, medals, gold and gear.

Gold is really god damned useful later on. Investing in shops, buying dozens of spellbooks to train literacy, improving equipment at the blacksmith and buying rare equipment off travelling merchants or scrolls off town vendors, all good shit to do. So don't be afraid to invest in things that will make or save you gold, like negotiation, charisma, etc.

Cooking has been mostly a waste of time so far. I'm just now getting past the point where I burn half the food, and the stat gains are really not that good, just skill training keeps all my potentials low anyways.

Haven't bothered with a god yet this time. I recall the benefits are decent, but it's a big time investment too. Probably best to pair with gardening/farming whatever the god wants, which rules out a bunch of them. Kumiromi seems like one of the best ones anyways, since his benefits to farming and stamina growth are irreplacable, unlike most of the other benefits the gods give.

Farms are relatively easy to manage and cheap to start. Would recommend. Gem plants are great for keeping potential up on your pet, which would be way more useful on a pet with more than 1 useful skill like my stupid bell with it's 50 throwing and zilch everything else. Really wish I had got that quickling...

Keeping around sets of gear for literacy and investing has paid off, as those stats are relatively expensive to raise. I also have a set of gear for cooking, which I don't use much because food rots too quickly to make large batches, and I'm not swapping 3 pieces of gear to make like 3 items. A faith set is probably a good idea too, I got one ready for when I start doing the god thing.

Trading is a great source of income early on. I should have started doing it earlier. Wear a full set of glass gear, the travel boots from the yeek quest, and carry some means to reliably escape bandits (tele scrolls should be fine) and you're golden. Later on it's kind of a waste of time since you get a lot of income from arena rankings as well, and trading runs the clock down quickly so you have to do fights more often. But early on, definitely the way to go, make it easy to afford a full set of glass equips with some decent specials like confusion immunity, and then blacksmith it all to at least +3 will keep you tanky for quite a while. It also trains travelling of course, and runs down the clock for sleeping, which is good for not just stats, but treasure dreams and such as well.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
You should definitely try Farmer Golem start.
Decent negotiation from start - I have 40 now, and cooking too - same 40 lvl now.
I kept Little Girl as pet, now this glorious pet doing 200-300 dm with great mace.
But no magic, at least yet. Have 200+ fruit seeds, two artifact, many magic and gem seeds.
Want to build shop for selling foodstuff.

carry some means to reliably escape bandits (tele scrolls should be fine)
Dimension Move much better. Always with you, fails only if you have no stamina.
Actually I kill them all, well, not me, my pet with great mace.

Thanks for thips with Traveling, I have only swimming now, it's superuseful when raining.

Do you sleep as soon as got status Need Sleep?

And yeah, running around in Glass, with boots of travel from wish. Also have few items Travel ##.

:salute:This game is amazing.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

I generally wait till I find a town and look for a nice bed, I've honestly no idea what stuff actually influences dreams tbh, except that waiting longer between sleeps seems to give more potential. Sleeping more often is probably better though, I'm just too impatient to do it that often.

Sounds like I should get another pet to do actual damage to things. Bell has no marksman skill so it's damage isn't that great aside from attacking so fast. Then again, I dart things for 200 damage (spell level over 50 now) when I want them dead anyways, and I'm more concerned about the pet never dying and clearing trash for me, which it does a great job of. I don't really know anything about Gene Engineering pets; if I can give it some more equipment slots and Rubynus gear to give it actual hp instead of just 15, along with the marksman skill, it'll be basically unstoppable. Alternately I could try changing it's AI to be melee focused, since martial arts should scale quite well at high levels.

Keye_

Educated
Quick question, Tales of Maj'Eyal is on sale on Steam right now. Worth the buy? And should I buy the DLCs?
I really enjoy DCSS and NEO Scavenger if that helps any.

Edit: I see Faster Than Light (FTL) is also on sale. It seems this game is considered very good here in general? (got voted 10th best game of 2012-2016 in the recent poll) This is definitely worth a buy?

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I generally wait till I find a town and look for a nice bed, I've honestly no idea what stuff actually influences dreams tbh, except that waiting longer between sleeps seems to give more potential.
Quality of a bed. Best - happy bed, I've got it from wish "happy bed". Also you got more potental because between your dreams you just did more activity.

I don't really know anything about Gene Engineering pets; if I can give it some more equipment slots and Rubynus gear to give it actual hp instead of just 15, along with the marksman skill, it'll be basically unstoppable.
Yes, you can.
It sounds like you doesn't do wiki at all, am I right?

Damned Registrations

I use it somewhat, but the info on gene engineering was a bit sparse; it didn't say anything about what happens to the speed stat of the new pet, for example. Didn't know if adding skills and limbs would gimp the bell's speed.

Does bed quality include prefixes? Like, is a godly platinum bunk bed better than a giant bed? It seems like it does to me, but my anecdotal experience is way too small a sample size, and the wiki doesn't have any hard numbers either. It's kind of aggravatingly lacking in that area in general. I was going to link an example but it's not even loading for me right now? Bleh.

Edit: Wikia in general is giving me some weird behaviour; the page loads and then immediately redirects to a 'page could not load' screen. Some new anti-adblocker bullshit perhaps?

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I use it somewhat, but the info on gene engineering was a bit sparse; it didn't say anything about what happens to the speed stat of the new pet, for example. Didn't know if adding skills and limbs would gimp the bell's speed.
Well, I know that adding extra limbs to humanoids that normally using 13 limbs lead to descreasing.
Not sure but I think it is norml limit for all, so you basically can add limbs till bell get 13 limbs, and only then start to get speed penalty.

Does bed quality include prefixes? Like, is a godly platinum bunk bed better than a giant bed?
Wiki states that no, also blessed\cursed status do nothing.

Edit: Wikia in general is giving me some weird behaviour; the page loads and then immediately redirects to a 'page could not load' screen. Some new anti-adblocker bullshit perhaps?
I have no such problem.

Emmanuel2

Savant
I've got it from wish "happy bed"

Your next wish should be one of the cores. One of the best investments of a wish or perhaps THE best. I think you can also wish for materials for customizing gear, and yes just when you thought the game is large it becomes even larger when you find out you can customize gear to suit what you need (well, at least it did for me hahaha).

Been without internet aside from my phone for the last week or so, been playing Elona+ (Custom, actually) and actually getting into it this time. Made a golem warmage and actually stuck it out long enough to get a gold bell pet (OP as fuck, gave him my Shield Tonfa as a ranged weapon, he can kill trash for me before I even see it, and tanks stupid amounts of damage, shame they have like no equipment slots or skills) and join the mage guild for infinite usage of basic stuff like magic arrow and sense object.

Some thoughts:

Magic is really really OP in Elona+. Aside from being quite easy to level up enough to be viable for killing shit, it ignores both DV and PV, so basically nothing is going to beat you in a damage race from full hp/mp unless it severely outclasses you. But best of all, it's a huge source of xp. I probably got like 95% of my xp or more from spells. Spending 3 pp for a training session when all my basic attack spells have gotten to 400% growth rate nets me a quarter million xp. Adds up to a lot of extra hp and mp.

HP is the best stat to have, followed by speed. While speed is definitely great for rapid overland travel and it's obvious uses in combat, due to the way the skill system works, pretty much all your combat skills will scale off your HP. If you've got 40 HP, your evasion will never get anywhere because anything capable of raising your evasion skill past 20 or whatever will just one shot you. If you've got 400 hp, eventually your evasion will kick ass while you're shrugging off those 40 hp attacks. The other issue is that more speed = more having to do shit = paying less attention and dying because you didn't notice you were starving while you attacked 400 times to clear out a room full of bats or whatever.

Golems are the best race for the two reasons above. You might think they make shitty wizards compared to fairies, but immunity to dim saves you vs a billion enemies, and a high hp to mp ratio makes it easier to train magic capacity, which eventually makes hp a better resource for spellcasting than mp anyways, since theres no skill to make mp be spent more efficiently. The low starting stats and potentials don't matter in the long run anyways, since they all go up at the same rate from dreams and herbs, which are the only real sources of stats in the long run.

Museums and shops will pay for themselves eventually, but require a lot of time investment and probably aren't worth doing till you're like level 30+ or something.

Always do dungeons you can easily handle. Dungeons have the second best payouts in the game vs time invested. Gold, plat, medals, spellbooks, and actual decent gear.

Get travel skill ASAP. Will passively level all your shit a considerable amount, and train speed to boot. My golem has gone from 45 to 60 base speed almost entirely from travel and swimming. It's also great for levelling those brand new skills that are too shitty to use effectively and therefore hard to train, like cooking or any of the crafting skills. Once you have travelling, basically all skills are worth getting just because it's more free xp and stat training.

Use speed potions to help catch bells. Much easier to get them to 0 hp on your turn if your speed is boosted. And they're totally worth the effort to obtain.

Dungeon levels seem to scale off of fame or levels or something. I tried doing only level 2-3 dungeons to keep them low and easy to farm but they shot up quite a bit anyways. Once I got strong enough I said fuck it and started doing ones around level ~10 and they haven't really changed at all. Even found a level 1 dungeon recently.

Do the scripted/plot quests. Best return on time invested, lots of easy plat, medals, gold and gear.

Gold is really god damned useful later on. Investing in shops, buying dozens of spellbooks to train literacy, improving equipment at the blacksmith and buying rare equipment off travelling merchants or scrolls off town vendors, all good shit to do. So don't be afraid to invest in things that will make or save you gold, like negotiation, charisma, etc.

Cooking has been mostly a waste of time so far. I'm just now getting past the point where I burn half the food, and the stat gains are really not that good, just skill training keeps all my potentials low anyways.

Haven't bothered with a god yet this time. I recall the benefits are decent, but it's a big time investment too. Probably best to pair with gardening/farming whatever the god wants, which rules out a bunch of them. Kumiromi seems like one of the best ones anyways, since his benefits to farming and stamina growth are irreplacable, unlike most of the other benefits the gods give.

Farms are relatively easy to manage and cheap to start. Would recommend. Gem plants are great for keeping potential up on your pet, which would be way more useful on a pet with more than 1 useful skill like my stupid bell with it's 50 throwing and zilch everything else. Really wish I had got that quickling...

Keeping around sets of gear for literacy and investing has paid off, as those stats are relatively expensive to raise. I also have a set of gear for cooking, which I don't use much because food rots too quickly to make large batches, and I'm not swapping 3 pieces of gear to make like 3 items. A faith set is probably a good idea too, I got one ready for when I start doing the god thing.

Trading is a great source of income early on. I should have started doing it earlier. Wear a full set of glass gear, the travel boots from the yeek quest, and carry some means to reliably escape bandits (tele scrolls should be fine) and you're golden. Later on it's kind of a waste of time since you get a lot of income from arena rankings as well, and trading runs the clock down quickly so you have to do fights more often. But early on, definitely the way to go, make it easy to afford a full set of glass equips with some decent specials like confusion immunity, and then blacksmith it all to at least +3 will keep you tanky for quite a while. It also trains travelling of course, and runs down the clock for sleeping, which is good for not just stats, but treasure dreams and such as well.

Someone said that the Golem's dim immunity is partly because of their high initial life level. I really did stop getting dimmed by random monsters once my Life hit 170+ on my save but I can't say for sure.

Life is indeed the best stat. More HP = more opportunities for grinding = more time playing a good game.

I agree that Magic is OP for the early-around late game and perhaps even high voiding but they do fall of rather low at the upper end of the content (capped void enemies) than Melee due to resists, lack of multipliers and no crits. Martial Arts + Element Eyes cover melee's lacking elemental selection as you can literally choose what element your fist can have.

Your defensive combat skills are dependent on your HP for raising skill levels but not the actual skill functions themselves while Evasion only helps in conjunction with high enough HP and DV for training. It's a bit confusing but it compares their to-hit + offensive combat skill level versus your own evasion/greater evasion skill lever. Avoiding attacks and subsequently procs from enemy attacks is essential.

Dungeon levels scale off of whatever highest dungeon level you cleared which is why a rule of thumb is to stick to the fastest but highest dungeon level you could clear and stick with the next batch until you could repeat it. People tend to stop at level 700 highest cleared so that even when awakening them, they won't give too much trouble. The only things that scale with fame are quests, bandits and tax IIRC.

I really recommend investing in a god as early as possible by atleast keeping your devotion points (?) capped so that until your Faith increases you won't need to bother actually going out of your way to offer things. Some of the give permanent boosts through consumable items, most have very helpful passives and Kumiromi is pretty essential when you're going to spam active skills.

Does bed quality include prefixes? Like, is a godly platinum bunk bed better than a giant bed? It seems like it does to me, but my anecdotal experience is way too small a sample size, and the wiki doesn't have any hard numbers either. It's kind of aggravatingly lacking in that area in general. I was going to link an example but it's not even loading for me right now? Bleh.

Adding limbs would but skills won't. I have yet to play with pets so I can't say how many limbs a bell can hold but be very careful still.

Blessing shit used to matter in the original Elona but Elona+ made blessing random things actually useless.

As for bed quality, the best should be anything Happy Bed prefixes won't affect them IIRC from my tests with two different quality King's Beds. A king's bed is also passable since you could steal it at level 5 or less, resting potential becomes irrelevant once you have good access to 3-4 rank 100 magic shops for good potions of potential access.

Backed it on Alpha. Have about 20hrs of gameplay in on it now. It is a bloody masterpiece. Potential is there to be a true classic. A visionary, revolutionizing roguelikes for the foreseeable future. Gameplay is incredibly immersive. Inventory control is one of the the revolutionary aspects of this title. Sound is also mind-blowing, item graphics and rendering of explosions are "on another planet" level of special. All I can say is PLAY THIS FUCKING GAME, YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

What's this? Didn't followed closely all updates, spent today all day reading changelogs from 1.62 to 1.66.
Actually I have some bug in Elona. After a couple of weeks I decided to play it again, and when loaded realized that game has no music, if I try to turn it on game crashes in less than minute.
Also for some reason * doesn't work at all, telling "key unassigned".
So I spent all day tring to figure out what to do.
The only thing that could affect it - I run full scan with Dr. Web, but point is it didn't find anything, so I'm confused.

Element Eyes
That thing from a shop that sells for small medals?

Life is indeed the best stat.
That's why I took Dimensional Move and next - all feats that gives Life.

Blessing shit used to matter in the original Elona but Elona+ made blessing random things actually useless.
Sad, I like that mechanics.

Also they introduced something for to see quality of bed in 1.66.

Also, I just read today that using bells that quickly kill enemies is actually cripple your character growth so you shoudn't rely on them.
I realised it in previous run, so I send my platinum bell to rest, and in this I even didn't tried to catch him.

EDIT
Installed 1.62 and CUSTOM 1.62.2 and... nothing changes - still crashed after 30 secunds. :(
Looks like save is corrupted so i'm in doubts should I continue.
Actually I remember that it was I whoturned music off, but why the fuck I can't turn it on?

The worst thing that can happen in Elona - all your time investment goes down the drain...
I have 100 hours now, but it isn't too late to start anew.

Last edited:

Emmanuel2

Savant
That thing from a shop that sells for small medals?

Yep, Element Eyes is that unique item you get from the medal shop. It's mainly used for changing breath attack element but it also works for Martial Arts' Attribution.

What's this? Didn't followed closely all updates, spent today all day reading changelogs from 1.62 to 1.66.

Shift Cores are basically items that give a timed super mode for your character, they were implemented around 1.45 from what I read. Once your gauge unlocks and goes up to 200% now, you can use any of the cores to become a whole lot stronger for around 120-150 turns. They can be only be found through wishing.

Actually I remember that it was I whoturned music off, but why the fuck I can't turn it on?

Did you try editing/putting custom music back then?

100 hours is nothing to scoff at and is a massive downer but look at the bright side, now you can try and "beat" that save by doing a much faster run since you are now accustomed to tricks/shortcuts in training.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom