Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Salvo

Arcane
Did they mention if the year are going to change how sneak attack works in Deadfire? Are they going to make it scale with level (DnD style)? Because I don't see why why you wouldn't take 1 level of rogue with each build for that massive 50% damage bump.

As far as I know Sneak Attack will scale with class level.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm pretty sure they won't be adding ammo. I've seen people ask about it multiple times, and by people I don't mean just myself, but I think Josh finally spelled it out in a stream.

From what I think I know about Josh's thinking, I think we may end up with a sneak attack that advances with something like + x1.5 per 30 power levels. So a level 10 Thief would have a sneak attack multiplier of 1.5. This would give us some insane fractions when you are a 5/4 fighter/thief and you have 19/15 power source points your damage would look like base damage + 0.75 * base damage, and god forbid your thief power source points are some uneven number, the calculations would again be clumsy to do mentally.

Quillon

Arcane
bob
FIG

Slacker Backer Pledge total on Fig is up to $64,957 (as of now) - this does not include anything from Obsidian's PayPal backer portal (last reported to be $42,261). I'll continue doing daily updates here until we have a live counter up somewhere :)

Mar 6, 2017 | 08:16 PM

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fusers%2Fprofile_images%2F1a4a7b5ea2d701c0991cdfdd6c766ee0eaafff18%2Foriginal.png%3F1480708045

MikeyDowling
DEVELOPER

Our Backer Portal is at $51,919 as fo this morning. :)
Thanks for the update, Bob!

Mar 6, 2017 | 08:53 PM

+ Fig campaign = $4.525K

$5M doesn't look likely, I guess it will hit $4.75M after Obs' portal gets all the backer info & people upgrade their pledges and that'll be it.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
4) Not only is Pillars Of Eternity not soulless, the game in fact deals with souls extensively as both a plot element and thematic motif.

Pretty sure that poster wasn't being literal; though, that being said, the "souls" in POE are more like fodder for ancient machines that can be manipulated and destroyed rather than traditional immortal souls. The "gods" in this world are fake constructs that feed off these "souls". So the game clearly caters towards an atheistic mindset. Of course, not all Atheists are SJWs, but certainly almost all SJWs are Atheists. And yeah, making it clear that the "gods" in this world are fake constructs does indeed make the game feel more "soulless" -- just like in the Star Wars prequels when it was announced the "force" was nothing more than some microbes in your bloodstream. People don't want to hear shit like that; it is a buzzkill and it jumps the shark. Let there be some mysteries so that we may wonder; not have our wonderment doused by a wall of text thrown in our face like a bucket of ice water.

If your "soul" can be captured/manipulated/destroyed by a machine built by mortal hands, then it is probably not truly a soul then.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If your "soul" can be captured/manipulated/destroyed by a machine built by mortal hands, then it is probably not truly a soul then.

It depends on what you mean, souls in PoE are parasitic/symbiotic entities which also act as power sources. It's kind of a variation of Catharism. So, yeah, they aren't the Christian souls.

Sizzle

Arcane

It depends on what you mean, souls in PoE are parasitic/symbiotic entities which also act as power sources. It's kind of a blend/variation of Catharism and Baha'i faiths. So, yeah, they aren't the Christian souls.

It's not like soul harvesting/manipulation isn't a time-honored fantasy (game) staple :D

Salvo

Arcane
As far as I know Sneak Attack will scale with class level.

...just like in D&D then? In 3E you got a flat 1D6 damage increase and not a multiplier though, in AD&D you had a multiplier.

As far as I recall Josh talked about an extra damage percentage, just like in PoE. Whether or not it will scale up by a flat 5% per level (placeholder number) or exponentially is still up to be seen.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll receive more info while the PayPal campaign is still going.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
4) Not only is Pillars Of Eternity not soulless, the game in fact deals with souls extensively as both a plot element and thematic motif.

Pretty sure that poster wasn't being literal; though, that being said, the "souls" in POE are more like fodder for ancient machines that can be manipulated and destroyed rather than traditional immortal souls. The "gods" in this world are fake constructs that feed off these "souls". So the game clearly caters towards an atheistic mindset. Of course, not all Atheists are SJWs, but certainly almost all SJWs are Atheists. And yeah, making it clear that the "gods" in this world are fake constructs does indeed make the game feel more "soulless" -- just like in the Star Wars prequels when it was announced the "force" was nothing more than some microbes in your bloodstream. People don't want to hear shit like that; it is a buzzkill and it jumps the shark. Let there be some mysteries so that we may wonder; not have our wonderment doused by a wall of text thrown in our face like a bucket of ice water.

It's not what Christians define as a soul, maybe... but why should that be the 'one true' definition to anyone but a believer of that religion?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Whatever the definition of the soul, revealing the gods were artificial creations in the first game pretty much tanked the entire gameworld. That's the sort of shit you find out with your level 90 demigod in Pillars of Eternity X, not as a shitty mortal who went zero to hero in a few months in the first game in the series.

fobia

With the Lvl 90 Demigod you probably would've killed them and absorbed their power.

You only find out about it.

The demigod part will be Deadfire. :)
But seriously, I hope not...

Salvo

Arcane
With the Lvl 90 Demigod you probably would've killed them and absorbed their power.

You only find out about it.

The demigod part will be Deadfire. :)
But seriously, I hope not...

I too hope that the power level of the Watcher won't increase massively compared to the previous game. As much as you were powerful in PoE, you could only tap into people's soul and/or slightly manipulate them. (the only exception being towards the very end with a certain character)

Ondra called down a moon on Abydon as we learn in the White March, and having the Watcher do anything remotely similar wouldn't be that great.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I suppose they can retcon it and say that Thaos just THOUGHT they were fake constructs and Iovarra was a deranged manifestation of his mind. Done deal. It's not like Thaos wasn't a debilitated psycho.

Salvo

Arcane
Speaking of Thaos, I was wondering...

What's the Kodex Konsensus on Animancy?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom