Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is it possible to totally avoid combat in Torment? Discuss!!!111

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well. Somebody beat the game without single combat?

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I counted three mandatory crises, not counting the one in the intro since that is supposed to be just a tutorial. But you don't have to attack anyone in any of them.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I counted three mandatory crises, not counting the one in the intro since that is supposed to be just a tutorial. But you don't have to attack anyone in any of them.
I think there are two of them actually.
One with the Sorrow in Miel Avest and one in the strict endgame. I think that the one with Qarro in the starting zone supposed to be avoidable?

Projas

Patron
I think there are two of them actually.
One with the Sorrow in Miel Avest and one in the strict endgame. I think that the one with Qarro in the starting zone supposed to be avoidable?
That one is, yeah. But there is also the one just before the Bloom's Heart. At least I didn't find any way to avoid that one.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So I see. Than Torment is just like Fallout. You can't play as peaceful diplomat. Only as cowardly diplomat who runs away or needs others for his fights.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I think it's theoretically possible, but you'd have to act like a schizophrenic badger, sometimes intimidating and sometimes persuading, sometimes doing reprehensible shit, and sometimes being angelic. While that's understandable, it's not something I could do myself, since there's no way to indicate the reason as to why you're doing something, and all your actions will be taken at and judged at face value, meaning that there's no way to apologize to NPC:s after you allied with some other NPC in order to avoid bloodshed and stuff like that. Basically, if you want to avoid as much combat as possible, you're going to have to avoid roleplaying, and only focus on avoiding combat in a gameist fashion.

Freakydemon

Educated
Cowardly diplomat is the only way. When a supernatural force that can easily destroy you catches you off-guard I don't think it feels the need to talk things over with you. You can talk certain people out of fighting you during a crisis/combat scenario though when it's not possible to convince them before the fight.

I think it's theoretically possible, but you'd have to act like a schizophrenic badger, sometimes intimidating and sometimes persuading, sometimes doing reprehensible shit, and sometimes being angelic. While that's understandable, it's not something I could do myself, since there's no way to indicate the reason as to why you're doing something, and all your actions will be taken at and judged at face value, meaning that there's no way to apologize to NPC:s after you allied with some other NPC in order to avoid bloodshed and stuff like that. Basically, if you want to avoid as much combat as possible, you're going to have to avoid roleplaying, and only focus on avoiding combat in a gameist fashion.
Almost like avoiding all conflict means you need to have no convictions or strong believes so you can be a slippery eel who sacrifices everything and anything to get the results you want.
Kinda like the changing god or something.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
So I see. Than Torment is just like Fallout. You can't play as peaceful diplomat. Only as cowardly diplomat who runs away or needs others for his fights.

what is your idea of a diplomat, some kind of fairy that pacifies everyone with their magic stick?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Actually, the first crisis is completely avoidable, just let them bag you. It's simple and doesn't end the game. (doesn't even start 'the crisis')

Projas

Patron
Actually, the first crisis is completely avoidable, just let them bag you. It's simple and doesn't end the game. (doesn't even start 'the crisis')
If you are talking about the tutorial one, I meant the one in the labyrinth with the sorrow fragments. I know the one with Qorro is avoidable.

Tormented Seph

Scholar
I confirm that you can finish the game without violence and without ever attacking anyone (in the three mandatory crisis you can use stealth or some interactive elements in the environment to open the way out).
Cowardly diplomat? Yes, it's a consistent label according to the (bad) situation in where you are forced to act.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
It's funny, because good old Planetscape has you initiating combat and killing a zombie as your very first task.

Just another example of how Numa diverges from its "spiritual precursor" in favour of pandering to SJW freaks.

Tormented Seph

Scholar
In the real world:

"You can end the game without a single combat" => "Cool, good thing for an RPG."

On RPG Kodex:

"You can end the game without a single combat" => "SJW!! ALARM! ALARM!! RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!"

:mrpresident:

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Nice, but you ignored the part where your shit game is supposed to be a successor to Planetscape: Tournament which contains a number of forced combat encounters at critical points in the story (Zombie chump, Ravel, Trias, Ignus/Vhalior). Not all fights should be avoidable, sometimes you have to get down and dirty because some muthafuckas just won't listen to your jewtalk. And this, again, is but one case where Numanuma completely deviates from the game it was supposed to be a "spiritual successor" to.

For example, the original game actually features healthy appreciation for busty babes, something faggots like Colin McCuck recoil from. Augh! The cleavage! Yeah Mr Cucky, that's what we like to see! Planetscape chicks are hawt, there are no faggots or gender mutants in the game, and the Nameless One? Shit bro, he is a buff high-T dude! In fact, he is even racially white (as seen in the intro video). A far cry from your cappuccino-coloured androgynous freak in Numa, wouldn't you say?

And for the record, why the fuck would you want any CRPG to let you avoid combat completely? What kind of degenerate runs away from encounters??

Oh, wait..

:troll:

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Tormented Seph

Scholar
Nice, but you ignored the part where your shit game is supposed to be a successor to Planetscape: Tournament which contains a number of forced combat encounters at critical points in the story (Zombie chump, Ravel, Trias, Ignus/Vhalior). Not all fights should be avoidable, sometimes you have to get down and dirty because some muthafuckas just won't listen to your jewtalk. And this, again, is but one case where Numanuma completely deviates from the game it was supposed to be a "spiritual successor" to.

For example, the original game actually features healthy appreciation for busty babes, something faggots like Colin McCuck recoil from. Augh! The cleavage! Yeah Mr Cucky, that's what we like to see! Planetscape chicks are hawt, there are no faggots or gender mutants in the game, and the Nameless One? Shit bro, he is a buff high-T dude! In fact, he is even racially white (as seen in the intro video). A far cry from your cappuccino-coloured androgynous freak in Numa, wouldn't you say?

And for the record, why the fuck would you want any CRPG to let you avoid combat completely? What kind of degenerate runs away from encounters??

Oh, wait..

:troll:
"When Mussolini was in command the trains arrived in time!"

Sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom