Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Shit games require you to download third party mods to fix.

...and the game would still be shit, which is my point. Modded Skyrim is still shit. The Legend of Zelda is still shit, even with its improvements over Skyrim.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
EDIT: Played 10 minutes. Confirmed overrated. Nothing to see here, folks, move along.
:roll:

"Best game of all time" couldn't grab me in 10 minutes. Yep, not overrated at all.

And you have to be mentally impaired to enjoy that type of gameplay.
What gameplay nigger, you played for 10 minutes :lol: Of course you may not like that you've seen or w/e but gotta love going full "herp derp overrated ur retarded" edginess.

Kraszu

Prophet
Skyrim has shitty exploration, following an arrow in level scaled world doesn't count as open world being already done

You can install mods to fix those things, and it is still a fairly boring experience. I don't get how The Legend of Zelda is any different.

Mods don't fix quests that rely on map gps (it is in Zelda as well for Shrines but not for everything so there is a nice balance there), they don't fix shitty combat either. They don't add physics that is actually important for gameplay in Zelda:BotW, rune abilities also add allot to the game, there is allot of design decision that are done well in new Zelda, and that can't be easily fixed with mods.

People praise a lot of things that seem like the most pointless things, solely because it is a game set in the Zelda universe and not in something more interesting.

Maybe you just don't like open world games that have rewarding exploring, and that offer multiple ways to go about the problem that the gameworld is presenting you with?

He is able to point out things that he didn't like about the switch, he start apologetic but that doesn't stop him from saying negative things about the switch later so there goes your theory imo.

He still got the console for free. At the end of the day, no one buys the console "just for the console", but because of the games. So if you say "10/10 this game can suck your dick" it matters little if the console is "average", as it is the game that sells it (as it has always been).

I'm going to try The Legend of Hype: Overrated of Time" and see how fun the "best game ever" actually is. That will give me a good idea if this new one is indeed hype made matter.

EDIT: Played 10 minutes. Confirmed overrated. Nothing to see here, folks, move along.

Work more on your trolling skills.

He still got the console for free. At the end of the day, no one buys the console "just for the console", but because of the games. So if you say "10/10 this game can suck your dick" it matters little if the console is "average", as it is the game that sells it (as it has always been).

Nah most people are pretty money conscious, and they don't want to spend 300$ on mediocre hardware just to play 1-2 games on it. Also hardware sells itself, there were hardly any games on ps3 at launch, and for some time, yet it did sold ok despite it price, because people were hyped about hardware.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

"Best game of all time" couldn't grab me in 10 minutes. Yep, not overrated at all.

What gameplay nigger, you played for 10 minutes :lol: Of course you may not like that you've seen or w/e but gotta love going full "herp derp overrated ur retarded" edginess.

2 minutes is enough to know if the game is shit or not.

In Fallout 1/ 2 Baldur's Gate 1/2 in first few minutes you have combat where you can see the main mechanics in action and you already know the game is gonna be great.

Tehdagah

Arcane
It took me a while to enjoy BG2.

There are also games with great beginnings but then everything else sucks (Shadow of Rome).

Cromwell

Arcane

2 minutes is enough to know if the game is shit or not.

In Fallout 1/ 2 Baldur's Gate 1/2 in first few minutes you have combat where you can see the main mechanics in action and you already know the game is gonna be great.

"played Fallout 1/2 for the Combat" could be a great tag.

JBro

Arbiter

Both sequels started out with a shitty dungeon...

A user named cat

Tons of good RPGs have awful starts that would be offputting if everyone were that dumbfucked to judge so soon. Divine Divinity rapes you with a huge, tiresome dungeon you have to crawl through before the game even opens up. Arcanum has you walking around a mostly empty, boring crash site fighting wolves. Fallout 2 forces you through a completely banal temple. Planescape Torment has you stumbling through a tedious morgue full of repetitive zombie descriptions before you eventually see the city. To say you can judge a huge game like this within 10 minutes is brain herpes stupid.

Keldryn

Arcane
One cool little detail I noticed this morning: I was visiting the Duelling Ridge stables and it was raining... All of the characters normally wandering around in the area nearby were taking shelter inside. The one NPC I saw outside was running while covering his head. Nothing Ultima VII didn't do 25 years ago, but it's a nice bit of attention to detail.

Another cool moment: I had just tamed a horse (one of 4 in the immediate area) and I dismounted to gather a few arrows that were on the ground. A bokoblin jumped out of the grass to attack me, so I mounted my horse and started to ride off. Then he got on one of the wild horses and started chasing me, pelting me with arrows.

I also had a bokoblin kick one of my bombs back at me yesterday.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Then he got on one of the wild horses and started chasing me, pelting me with arrows.
That happened to me too, was quite surprising and funny.

Got the quest to find the science guy in the north, so just started going straight there. After lots of climbing, falling, flying and dying I'm only halfway there. The exploration is top notch.

Last edited:

Keldryn

Arcane
The exploration is top notch.

Yes. This game nails it when it comes to the joy of exploration and discovery. I've taken major detours on my way to wherever I'm going and so far it has always been worthwhile.

My 7 year-old has been watching me play and she's getting hooked on the game herself. She gives me the controller when a monster shows up, but she's having so much fun climbing cliffs, paragliding, cooking, horse riding, burning things, making ice blocks to climb on, throwing metal blocks around, teleporting, and just wandering around. She just teleported to one of the towers, faced east and saw the sun rising. "That's SO cool" she said.

Last edited:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Had the blood moon happen too but didn't quite understand what it does exactly.

Keldryn

Arcane
Ah, that simple :MIt looks very cool, especially since you have no idea it's going to happen.

It can be really nasty if it happens just after you kill a bunch of monsters in a camp.

My daughter just discovered if you ride a horse into deep water, it will swim safely to shore on its own.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
My daughter just discovered if you ride a horse into deep water, it will swim safely to shore on its own.

I haven't played the game yet and won't for a while (I don't even own current Nintendo hardware), but from what I read, there are a lot of these little details in this game. You need to wear proper clothes in cold (and warm) weather, something which had to be added with a mod in Skyrim (though I suspect that Bethesda didn't add this, because they know that a lot of people download nudity mods :D), metal attracts lightning, you can burn the grass (hello Farcry 2), wildlife acts like wildlife, some animals can swim, ... all not necessary for an RPG, but nice for an open world.

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
id ahve bought this crap if they made a zelda bundle but they havent so you just lost a customer Nintendo... faiL!!!

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
id ahve bought this crap if they made a zelda bundle but they havent so you just lost a customer Nintendo... faiL!!!
They didn't bundle the shit 1-2 switch, why would they bundle what's looking the one of the best received games of last 10 years :M

Keldryn

Arcane
I haven't played the game yet and won't for a while (I don't even own current Nintendo hardware), but from what I read, there are a lot of these little details in this game. You need to wear proper clothes in cold (and warm) weather, something which had to be added with a mod in Skyrim (though I suspect that Bethesda didn't add this, because they know that a lot of people download nudity mods :D), metal attracts lightning, you can burn the grass (hello Farcry 2), wildlife aptly like wildlife, some animals can swim, ...

Yeah, this game is full of those little details. If it's raining, you'll keep sliding down if you try to climb up rock faces. Rain also puts out torches and campfires; I found one campfire that has a shelter built over top of it. You can chop trees down and they will inflict a lot of damage if they fall on a monster. If you fire arrows and miss, uou can usually pick them up again. You can burn more than just grass; many wooden items will burn as well (not houses obviously). Early in the game, I used the magnetic rune to pull a metal chest out of the water -- you can also use it to pick up metal weapons and attack enemies with floating weapons. Your horse can't go inside buildings, but instead of just running into an invisible wall, the horse slowly turns away as you approach the entryway.

I usually find that "open world" games tend to feel rough and unfinished; so far this feels very polished and well thought out.

Nintendo simply MUST get Retro Studios creating a new Metroid game with this engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom