Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
While you can feel that Yoko Taro didn't have completely free reign on creating this game it really doesn't feel like he had to compromise on too many things either. The gameplay has gotten quite a lot better thanks to Platinum while the story certainly kept the Nier/Drakengard feeling and atmosphere for the entirety of the game. While it may say "Square Enix" on the box you will more often than not yell FUCK CAVIA instead. That's all I can say without really spoiling anything.

I do advise playing the first game though, not just because it's amazing in itself but while you don't need to have any pre-existing knowledge of the setting you will enjoy Nier:Automata even more if you played the first installment. There have been plenty of "What the flying fuck" moments that I would imagine other people would miss out on if they didn't play the first one.

English VA is nothing to complain about, I already enjoyed the VA in the first Nier quite a lot and the current one hits all the same spots. The OST is amazing, as was to be expected. Expect to put 60-100hours into it, depending on your mechanical skill.

Last edited:

Aruil

Educated
Patron
These requirements make me want to cry. GTX 770 for 720p is kind of ridiculous. I hope that's an exaggeration as always with requirements.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
These requirements make me want to cry. GTX 770 for 720p is kind of ridiculous. I hope that's an exaggeration as always with requirements.

Especially considering the graphics are't better than other modern games that have smaller requirements

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Ya'll forgetting that for japs PC is black magic so don't be shocked by surprises.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Stema page, pre-order is live:

If you pre-purchase the Steam version of the game you also get a really cool exclusive Valve character accessory! If you’ve seen the PC announcement trailer which we released at gamescom 2016, this might be a fun little Easter Egg for you. You basically have a valve accessory that you can attach to 2B’s head in four different positions show below:

e3a02349461138a4420a41ac69baa26716e6c4b2.jpg

52d97fc9c9cf6d8c3fea9b522b2f4debddd4e868.jpg

6076514e8dc198945670d3e12b7fe9ae443267f6.jpg

7b3dd6437c857867c145f87880aefb860d84144c.jpg

It’s pretty cool right? Remember that you can only get the Valve character accessory if you pre-purchase the Steam version of NieR: Automata so be sure to do that to make sure you don’t miss out! The Day 1 Edition also won’t be around forever so don’t hesitate if you want to pick up NieR: Automata on PC.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I assume a small lazy port isn't a lot of work. Wouldn't surprise me if the PS 4 dev kit has a compile for PC function.

Suicidal

Arcane
I'll probably :d1p:this provided that the port is good (as in, has proper keyboard and mouse controls and doesn't run at 20 FPS on machines that far surpass the system requirements). The PC needs more combatfag action games like this, they're probably my 3rd favorite genre after RPGs and strategy games.

Gerrard

Arcane
lol those specs
That's what you get for using a self made engine.

Especially considering the graphics are't better than other modern games that have smaller requirements
From what I've seen (not much, beginning areas) the graphics are really nothing to write home about. I think everything went into main character models.

tet666

Augur
I'll probably :d1p:this provided that the port is good (as in, has proper keyboard and mouse controls and doesn't run at 20 FPS on machines that far surpass the system requirements). The PC needs more combatfag action games like this, they're probably my 3rd favorite genre after RPGs and strategy games.

The Team working on it is from Platinum but the Director Yoko Taro isn't and he was the Director of the first game as well.
The game is an Action RPG first and foremost just like the first game was only the combat is a bit inspired by character action games and nothing else is, so don't delude yourself into thinking this would be an character action game like DMC or Bayonetta it really isn't, there are no stages or anything else resembling character action games, the world is relatively open, there are quests and side-quests, you can level up and so on just like in the first game.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane

The Team working on it is from Platinum but the Director Yoko Taro isn't and he was the Director of the first game as well.
The game is an Action RPG first and foremost just like the first game was only the combat is a bit inspired by character action games and nothing else is, so don't delude yourself into thinking this would be an character action game like DMC or Bayonetta it really isn't, there are no stages or anything else resembling character action games, the world is relatively open, there are quests and side-quests, you can level up and so on just like in the first game.

There is no rule that forbids character action games from taking place in an open world or having RPG elements. Honestly, I don't care what genre the game ascribes to as long as killing shit is fun, and from the gameplay videos that I've seen killing shit looks very fun indeed.

tet666

Augur

There is no rule that forbids character action games from taking place in an open world or having RPG elements. Honestly, I don't care what genre the game ascribes to as long as killing shit is fun, and from the gameplay videos that I've seen killing shit looks very fun indeed.

Why not just get rid of genre definitions altogether while we are at it...
There is a clear definition for "Spectacle Brawlers" or Character Action games and it involves a linear progression through
Levels and sections which are graded, and mastery through repetition is rewarded both with in-game awards (ne sand a sense of satisfaction through skill improvement and the ability to face increasingly difficult challenges.

This Game is an Action RPG like the first game just because some people from Platinum are involved doesn't make it an Character Action game they are allowed to make games in other genres as well and Action RPGs can have all sorts of different combat systems.

tet666

Augur
So, the game up on any CD key sites yet? 60€ is too much.

Nah cheap keys will be avaible after the game is actually out this is just a special preorder edition with some added (cosmetic) stuff you can't buy the regular version yet i bet it will be cheaper on steam as well.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
region lock on asia region.

yes, square enix fucking things up again, more news at 11

i was willing to d1p this, but dipshit management cannot get their shit fucking right. literally a fucking region lock in 20 fucking 17.

on digital platform.

yup. fucking ass biting dipshits need to die.

tet666

Augur
region lock on asia region.

yes, square enix fucking things up again, more news at 11

i was willing to d1p this, but dipshit management cannot get their shit fucking right. literally a fucking region lock in 20 fucking 17.

on digital platform.

yup. fucking ass biting dipshits need to die.

There will be a separate page for the Japanese steam version soon for whatever reason and it's very likely rest of asia will be included there.

Habbonovio

Educated
So, the game up on any CD key sites yet? 60€ is too much.

Wait a month for the hype to freeze and key prices will drop a lot.

Also, 44 euros on Instant Gaming right now; it was 39 deutschland-coins last week but prices always increase near release date.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom