Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Played for about 30 minutes this evening. Geez, that intro is a slog. The writing seems p. banal and there's zero downtime between walls of texts. I probably won't play anymore. Disappointing.

Moth

Learned
Anyone have a digital copy of the supplementary guide released about three months ago for the PnP that is tied in with T:TON? Explorers Guide, or whatever? I'm really curious to what the contents are.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Played for about 30 minutes this evening. Geez, that intro is a slog. The writing seems p. banal and there's zero downtime between walls of texts. I probably won't play anymore. Disappointing.

As if the BG2 beginning or even the PST mortuary were much better. The beginning of PST was its weakest point in my opinion. The mortuary was also misleading about the tone of PST as a whole: it's fun and imaginative, not grimdark and morbid.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

As if the BG2 beginning or even the PST mortuary were much better. The beginning of PST was its weakest point in my opinion. The mortuary was also misleading about the tone of PST as a whole: it's fun and imaginative, not grimdark and morbid.

Took me 4 attempts until I managed to get out of mortuary before getting bored out of my ass. Never would have if people wouldn't keep pestering me that the game is amazing.

AN4RCHID

Arcane

No mortuary was definitely better. I shouldn't have to click through dozens of pointless walls of text before even getting control of my PC.

Quillon

Arcane

I'm couple hours in, it didn't get any better than that. Too much unrelated chunks of WoTs so far and all in the same map... fuck completionism. At least lore dumps were in between different maps/combat encounters in PoE...

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I failed the persuation check with Ch'rekt (not sure if wrote his name right) and dialogue check with the lord. Is there another way to finish Hidden Enemy quest without turning the stichus in?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I failed the persuation check with Ch'rekt (not sure if wrote his name right) and dialogue check with the lord. Is there another way to finish Hidden Enemy quest without turning the stichus in?

I'm not sure, but if you talk to the old lady just south of the Lord, she seems to have some sekret info on him that may open another line of solving this quest.

EDIT: You can also use the automated stychus to free the outcast.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I find it hard to believe people didn't like the graphics of this game. They are stunning. Easily the best graphics out of PoE and Tyranny.

Also, everyone keeps saying how great the meres are. Am I the only one who didn't read them and just selected the best sounding response? Its like that "Lone Wolf" game trickery. Its a fucking book. I read books. I play games. Reading isn't playing - its reading.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Speaking of the UI. Some elements do not scale properly when you play at 1920x1200. Videos and meres simply leave a part of the game world visible at the top and bottom of the screen (instead of just putting black bars there).

I don't think it scales properly in any resolution. It looks fucked even at 1920x1080 for me.

Black Angel

Arcane
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh, all the things you do to be an apologist for inXile and this stinking shit pile of a game. There has been so many talk across this thread (and most likely the whole forum) of how PS:T did everything properly right from the very start, like letting player discover Deionarra for themselves instead of railroading them to her, or decide what to do with Morte (and not stating obvious lines like, "You see a floating skull approaching you.")

What's your excuse for Mortuary being weak? And no, even though I've only played PS:T past Curst, it was still pretty grimdark and morbid. Fun and imaginative, yes, but still pretty grimdark and morbid.

cruelio

Savant
I for one, truly appreciate how the game's ending severely punishes the "screw the rules and options, I'll make my own destiny!" option that is often so hamfisted into RPGs. May give my full thoughts once I manage to digest them later, though I don't expect anyone to care about them either.

I picked it as part of picking all the options to see what would happen (nice Mass Effect 3 game design!) and I was pretty okay with killing dumbass Sorrows retard and driving tons of losers I don't even know insane if it meant me and my super cool cast off friends got to survive and keep being super cool.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Can't solve a quest in the Underbelly.

Fulsom's quest with murders. I can name any name, but have no proof for any of the 3 suspects.

How do you solve it?

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
As if the BG2 beginning or even the PST mortuary were much better. The beginning of PST was its weakest point in my opinion.

The mortuary, while slow, is probably one of the best openings of any RPG I have played. It isn't only intriguing and fresh as an idea, but has a pretty decent amount of high quality content. Not to mention that it's a really great showcase of all the gameplay systems and mechanics (even the clunky combat) you're going to encounter on your journey. On top of that, all of them are utilized in a completely organic way which helps in it feeling like a real place (something that can't be said for many titles both in the genre and outside of it).

P.S. retroactively rating my other posts as retarded tells more about your intelligence and attitude than it does about the content of my message. If you want to avoid getting negative ratings from me, you should stop posting stupid shit and having shitty opinions. Cheers.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I find it hard to believe people didn't like the graphics of this game. They are stunning. Easily the best graphics out of PoE and Tyranny.

Also, everyone keeps saying how great the meres are. Am I the only one who didn't read them and just selected the best sounding response? Its like that "Lone Wolf" game trickery. Its a fucking book. I read books. I play games. Reading isn't playing - its reading.
retarded and agree

Tigranes

Arcane

Fulsom's quest with murders. I can name any name, but have no proof for any of the 3 suspects.

How do you solve it?

Talk to the suspects, and that should give you at least one lead to follow up, and there's a couple other snippets of info you can find organically from that. The journal entry mentions it.

One of them is mentioned to have been 'eating alone', which you can follow up by checking out if anyone's seen a dendra in Circus Minor.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
P.S. retroactively rating my other posts as retarded tells more about your intelligence and attitude than it does about the content of my message. If you want to avoid getting negative ratings from me, you should stop posting stupid shit and having shitty opinions. Cheers.

What's retarded is you thinking that your opinion or tastes are somehow better than anyone else's. I'm certainly not the only one who thought the mortuary wasn't that great.

And if you think me rating one of your posts is somehow proof of anything, you haven't seen anything:

prosper.jpg

:prosper:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

How do you solve it?

Talk to the suspects, and that should give you at least one lead to follow up, and there's a couple other snippets of info you can find organically from that. The journal entry mentions it.

One of them is mentioned to have been 'eating alone', which you can follow up by checking out if anyone's seen a dendra in Circus Minor.

You also need to talk to the Master Foreman regarding the alibi of one of them.

Tigranes

Arcane
having played till the first scene change (when you fly off):

>game's interesting. there's plenty of interesting characters, scenes, architecture, scattered all over the place, and some of the actual changing god stuff is also fairly intriguing.
>delivers a tormenty feel about as well as can be expected; i.e. not as good as torment, but enough echoes without it feeling way too derivative. actually recalls sanitarium in some parts, for me.
>unique visuals that sometimes look like a mess but sometimes look rather cool.
>throw in the interesting potential with effort, tides, anamnesis, etc. and you've got a very nice adventure-rpgy kind of thing in the works.

but...

>all the potentially interesting gameplay stuff has been gutted until it makes no sense (tides), or rendered unnecessary fluff (cyphers), or poorly balanced (effort). highly infrequent crises mean all the full-on combat related items and upgrades are kind of weird, as you literally spend more time and effort gaining a tool than using it; edge + companions helping makes it easy to succeed in everything; tides might as well not exist.
>i'm ok with the idea of crises, but instead of truly interesting set pieces, it just means i never (need to) learn the overcomplicated systems and mess of abilities and it ironically becomes a grind
>the technical presentation of the sometimes-cool art. go to the fifth eye bar and see how everything's got this blur. see the triangles at cliff's edge that literally look like graphics artefacts from a melting gpu.
>dear god, inxile products have the usability and technical presentation of a 2004 russian shovelware thing WHATS WITH ALL THE ICE SKATES YOU MORONS

all in all it's more engaging than WL2, it isn't a rape of the torment name, and other than that it's a flawed, decent game so far.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Inifere/Endless Gate stuff was pretty damn good, easily the highlight of the game so far.
Lots of reactivity (played through it twice to see if I missed anything, turns out I did).
Characters and dialogue have actual flavor instead of defaulting to exposition dispensers.
Meres were all engrossing.
Combat was put to good use for once.
Manages to combine many different smaller parts into one big satisfying quest, tying it all together without losing focus (unlike the bite-sized incongruous mess that is the rest of the game).
My only complaint is that the production values were noticeably lower, some parts looked pretty derpy, it deserved better.
Whew, good thing I remembered to sign in on my alt.

YES! You're definitely not alone, I've seen at least one YouTuber playing it that way, and to be honest, I'm pretty sure that's the way I go through most things in life so I can't really begrudge the decision. That said, I think the "it's a book" argument is a little bit off, since there's actually quite a lot going on in the background of them (at least the ones I worked on) that would be impossible in a book. Doesn't mean mine aren't boring and longwinded, of course. :)

BTW, re Inifere, while it's pretty lame to describe your own stuff, there's something about the dream interpretation sequence that I don't think people will ever really notice because of how the effort/edge system worked out, so I figured I'd share it:
So basically at each of the three questions, your answers move two different variables: one influences the plausibility (from Inifere's perspective) of your interpretation, the other influences what your interpretation will cause Inifere to do, if he accepts it as correct. For example, if you were to interpret something as, "You just want to be kind to everyone because the world's a wonderful place!" that would hugely decrease the plausibility of your interpretation, but move him toward closing the Gate if you could persuade him. Anyway, the idea was that based on talking to him about other things you'd get a sense for what kind of imagery he's invoking and what the images mean, and then when he tells the dream, you'd be able to frame it in symbols he'd understand. The more plausible the interpretation, the easier to the roll at the end of the sequence, but since it seems every roll is a success because of effort/edge, it all kind of disappears. I thought it was a pretty neat idea, though.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Inifere/Endless Gate stuff was pretty damn good, easily the highlight of the game so far.
Lots of reactivity (played through it twice to see if I missed anything, turns out I did).
Characters and dialogue have actual flavor instead of defaulting to exposition dispensers.
Meres were all engrossing.
Combat was put to good use for once.
Manages to combine many different smaller parts into one big satisfying quest, tying it all together without losing focus (unlike the bite-sized incongruous mess that is the rest of the game).
My only complaint is that the production values were noticeably lower, some parts looked pretty derpy, it deserved better.

If only the rest of the game was this good, hopefully the Bloom will match it. Faith slightly restored.

Also, the Codex NPC was prestigious af :obviously:
Agree with you, really good area and Inefere's quest is really well done, just warn you to embrace yourself for the events that will happen right afterwards on the castoffs refuge before you go to the Bloom. The game suddenly inclined on the Valley of dead heroes and the Necropolis to just break every single hope of a good storyline existing somewhere right afterwards... but hey, people say the Bloom is a pretty good area so maybe something outside the main plot is salvageable.

Last edited:

Comte

Wait, the Kingkiller Chronicle author wrote for Numenera?

How in shit did this game fail with all the talent on the project?
Too many cooks in the kitchen

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom