Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Paid $3 for Shittles of Morederp. That's what I'd pay for this, too. Action is fun but overall very generic discover outpost/clear shit AAA fodder you see in tons of games.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Highlander-game (with Christopher Lambert of course!) made with nemesis system could work, the combat system would have to be obviously lot better though.

They are never going to make it. Maybe only after the shitty remake they have planned(which seems to be in development limbo).

By "they" I mean hollyweird joos who love to take a shit at anything remotely good, even somewhat trashy but entertaining b-movies such as highlander.

I hope they'll never get to remake Highlander, because the original is just perfect high concept b-action movie...although they already made five (5) sequels and shitty tv-show.

Habbonovio

Educated
The last boss of Shadow of Mordor was such an anticlimactic mess it spoiled all the "fun" (almost none) the game offered me previously.

Exactly the same thing that happened me with Dishonored.

Also, horrible combat system, completely unsatisfactory and designed for being soft on retarded people.

It was a mediocre game. Sadly, still entertaining cause I don't really value my time nor have quality standards anymore.

Beastro

Arcane
They need to quick a setting that isn't covered and really flesh it out. Like what adventures were going on when Sauron escaped Numenor and was up to no good in Eregion. Like maybe you could have it with Dunnish people located nearby getting involved in something that has the PC touch upon the forging of the ring: like an Eregion elf needs some MacGuffins and hires you (Play as Eregion Elf, Dunnish Man or some Dwarf) to gather em only for it to turn out it was Sauron and you were getting him the last its he needed to do the forging.

Or have something to do with the Roharrim migrating West and winning the loyalty of Gondor, or something up north near Erebor and the Cold Dragons, or in Forochel, or the Numenoreans return to Middle Earth when they began planting colonies along the coast, Umber would be a good setting for an open world Thief-like game. Hey how about one where you play an Elf right before the Dawn of Men where half the game revolves around low light mechanics and moonlight and how things change as the Elf adapts to the first sunlight and night and day cycle?

Shadow or Mordor at least went to Nurn which is one of the more unexplored near regions.

Barbarian

Arcane
The license needs to go to someone who actually understands and appreciates the books and the setting represented in them, otherwise the lameness of the premise of this game will remain the norm.

Also, Warner only has the license for LOTR and the Hobbit, and part of the deal is that they can only make movies and merchandise based on those. They don't own rights to adapt any other part of the Tolkien state and won't be getting it regardless of how many millions they buckle up. Christopher Tolkien hated the movies and will not see his father's work raped again.

Also, Christopher Tolkien edited and completed most of the stuff printed after Tolkien's passing. That is much his work as it is his dad's. We would not be reading "The Children of Húrin" or the new "Beren and Luthien" if he had not grown bold in his old age and decided to continue and finish his old man's opus.

Beastro

Arcane
The license needs to go to someone who actually understands and appreciates the books and the setting represented in them, otherwise the lameness of the premise of this game will remain the norm.

Also, Warner only has the license for LOTR and the Hobbit, and part of the deal is that they can only make movies and merchandise based on those. They don't own rights to adapt any other part of the Tolkien state and won't be getting it regardless of how many millions they buckle up. Christopher Tolkien hated the movies and will not see his father's work raped again.

They turned his fathers work into gimmick fodder for things like slot machines.

Said developers need to go to him hat in hand and have a real conversation to show their passion for the work and what they want to do with it.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The betrayed orc looked cool as hell until he one-shotted the guy intimidating the protag in a cutscene.

Barbarian

Arcane
The whole ally/nemesis system is interesting.

If only the game was well written. It astonishes me how the people in charge can miss the point so much. If you want to make a LOTR game and introduce new characters and stories, don't mess with the canon and don't overshadow the original material.

They effectively created a character that is more powerful than both Gandalf(white version) and Galadriel, and who will apparently beat Sauron single-handed without all the challenges presented in the book trilogy.

sullynathan

Arcane
Looks like they improved the nemesis system in a cool way.

Looks like the one - button combat is still there

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Trailer looks good, Nemesis is indeed getting better and that's what I really care about. Not gonna lie ... it moved.

I like that there's a "cursed" status that turns off your stupid super powers. I wish I could be so cursed all the time.

Awesome Button combat looks worse than before - there's never any sense of danger at all. Does Talion even get hit once during that shameful display? Oh well, maybe it's staged that way to appeal to power fantasy children and the actual game will be more substantial. Yeah.

Customization? Eh, I don't care what armor Talion is wearing, I just hope I can give him a fucking haircut. Better yet, how about a full helm?

Last edited:

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not mentioned is whether you have to be 85% of the way to the end of the game before you get to do this stuff, like in the first one.

sullynathan

Arcane
Awesome Button combat looks worse than before - there's never any sense of danger at all. Does Talion even get hit once during that shameful display?
Looks like they leveled up to lvl 20 or 30 and just used executions. Other than that, combat doesn't look improved at all.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I like that there's a "cursed" status that turns off your stupid super powers. I wish I could be so cursed all the time.

Without those stupid super powers there's nothing to the combat system. The whole combat system in this game is just press X for Awesome. Take away X and then you have.. what exactly?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Without those stupid super powers there's nothing to the combat system. The whole combat system in this game is just press X for Awesome. Take away X and then you have.. what exactly?
Then you're back to Arkham combat, which is actually fun. That famous video of the guy playing Mordor without looking would never have happened with any of the Arkham games.

I actually replayed Mordor this year and just didn't take a lot of the powers. Combat was way more fun.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Then you're back to Arkham combat, which is actually fun.

uh, no? It's still the same boring shit combat that has been plaguing western games since Assassin's Creed. Shadow of Mordor happens to be a little bit shittier because of how useless and inefficient your ground executions and regular melee attacks are.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Then you're back to Arkham combat, which is actually fun. That famous video of the guy playing Mordor without looking would never have happened with any of the Arkham games.
That's the problem, they made a worse combat system than the Arkham games which is mind boggling.

RapineDel

Augur

Also, Christopher Tolkien edited and completed most of the stuff printed after Tolkien's passing. That is much his work as it is his dad's. We would not be reading "The Children of Húrin" or the new "Beren and Luthien" if he had not grown bold in his old age and decided to continue and finish his old man's opus.

Who's surprised really when we take a look at Lord of the Rings online.

Turbine created what was a serviceable WoW clone that had the added knack of being the best video game adaption of the Lord of the Rings world ever. It didn't try and 'one up' the source material, it used it pretty well given the limits and most of the areas, writing and overall story were actually very good. It was definitely the best MMO I've played community wise, not to mention it originally escaped things like quest compasses that were already plaguing WoW and the like.

Enter Warner Brothers. They bought Turbine, stripped them of resources and ensured all profits went into other retarded projects rather then back into the game. The usual suspects like quest arrows were added, an obnoxious cash store was introduced, the writing suddenly went south and was more about trying to tie in with The Hobbit films rather then the original game. Everyone left and it's now in borderline maintenance mode.

Don't expect anything worthwhile from WB, especially in the Lord of the Rings department. It's quite sad Shadow of Mordor/War is the best they can come up with given the vast world they have access too, baffling in fact.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
That looks like it's going to fuck the canon hard in the ass,I wonder are you going to make the Witch King your bitch by the end because you certainly seem powerful enough to win the War of the Ring by your own

Grimlorn

Arcane
Is Shadow of Mordor worth playing? That gameplay video that was posted recently that showed how easy it was didn't inspire confidence. You can see the same stuff in this video. A lot of one button executions and minicut scenes that look cool but would be pretty boring to play as constantly losing control of what is going on and what your character is doing.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Is Shadow of Mordor worth playing? That gameplay video that was posted recently that showed how easy it was didn't inspire confidence. You can see the same stuff in this video. A lot of one button executions and minicut scenes that look cool but would be pretty boring to play as constantly losing control of what is going on and what your character is doing.
Do you like Batman Arkham games? It's more or less like that

Grimlorn

Arcane
Do you like Batman Arkham games? It's more or less like that
I haven't played any of the Batman games. Just got done playing Dragon's Dogma. I had fun with the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom