Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Hoggypare

Savant
Maybe because Hearthstone is the epitome of popamole. You'd be better off tossing a coin on LSD, basically the same experience, but probably more economically viable.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So new expansion was announced and no one even cares? I guess the Codex isn't as chock-full of closet Hearthstoners as I thought.
I think the recent cashgrabs turned a lot of people off. That and there isn't that much to talk about since there won't be any new reveals until 17th March. The new mechanics do seem fairly interesting and I like the mage legendary, but it's impossible to judge the impact of it all by 4 cards.

So new expansion was announced and no one even cares? I guess the Codex isn't as chock-full of closet Hearthstoners as I thought.

I'd say many of us are just tired. The announcement that there would be more expansions instead of adventures sounded exactly like the cash grab it is, and although the guys at Blizzard seem to think it's going to bring in a lot of cash I think it's going to turn away a lot of people, yours truly included. If I wanted to throw away my money, I'd have gone back to MTG long ago.

Add to that the fact that the same 4 decks have been dominating the meta for a while, that Paladins have no viable decks and that Rogues only have Miracle decks and jack and shit has been done to fix it. Instead, we got the jade golems to make an already powerful class even more ludicrous.

Grubba

Arcane
This was all done with profit in mind.

The announcement that there would be more expansions instead of adventures sounded exactly like the cash grab it is

Holy shit, so you guys are telling me that businesses want to make more money?! And here I thought they were purely philanthropic institutions that existed to entertain us all for free.

Sarcasm aside, ya it means more profit for Blizz but I don't want to look at it from a solely cynical perspective. Scrapping adventures and instead doing another big set addresses one of the major problems with Hearthstone and that's the small card pool. The meta gets figured out and the game gets stale so quickly because there's just not a lot to work with (and it definitely doesn't help that Blizzard has been making it easy by forcing archetypes). Hopefully, more cards means more potential interactions and complexity which will take longer to discover. And let's face it, adventures sucked anyway. The drip-feed of cards into the meta was annoying and underwhelming compared to a big 130 card set dropping all at once.

I'd like to think that a bigger card pool + the new ranked floors will mean more variety on the ladder. However, this is Blizzard we're talking about though so maybe that's being a bit naive. I can't shake the feeling that their vision for this game is flawed and that focusing on new & casual players will ultimately prove to be its undoing. They'll probably just keep printing more garbage filler cards instead of introducing interesting & competitively viable mechanics. So much wasted potential, but ah, they have that casual commuter/toilet phone gamer market. And now I'm back to cynicism. I dunno, I'm willing to see how it goes.

Revenant

Solution: buy WoW gold (*cough*... from me), redeem it for Battle.net balance and buy cheaper Hearthstone packs for it

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This was all done with profit in mind.

The announcement that there would be more expansions instead of adventures sounded exactly like the cash grab it is

Holy shit, so you guys are telling me that businesses want to make more money?! And here I thought they were purely philanthropic institutions that existed to entertain us all for free.

Sarcasm aside, ya it means more profit for Blizz but I don't want to look at it from a solely cynical perspective. Scrapping adventures and instead doing another big set addresses one of the major problems with Hearthstone and that's the small card pool. The meta gets figured out and the game gets stale so quickly because there's just not a lot to work with (and it definitely doesn't help that Blizzard has been making it easy by forcing archetypes). Hopefully, more cards means more potential interactions and complexity which will take longer to discover. And let's face it, adventures sucked anyway. The drip-feed of cards into the meta was annoying and underwhelming compared to a big 130 card set dropping all at once.

I'd like to think that a bigger card pool + the new ranked floors will mean more variety on the ladder. However, this is Blizzard we're talking about though so maybe that's being a bit naive. I can't shake the feeling that their vision for this game is flawed and that focusing on new & casual players will ultimately prove to be its undoing. They'll probably just keep printing more garbage filler cards instead of introducing interesting & competitively viable mechanics. So much wasted potential, but ah, they have that casual commuter/toilet phone gamer market. And now I'm back to cynicism. I dunno, I'm willing to see how it goes.
Expansions with all of their 130ish cards never produce anything more than 30-40 consistently playable ones. That's not going to change.

Real time edit: Actually they WILL produce more playable ones... the second legendary they are adding to classes via quests/spells. BUY MORE PACKS, GUIZ!

Mentioned it before, they're pushing for more profit and, as such, forcing people to spend cash on the game to keep up with it. Assuming you prefer the more involved decks versus mindless cheap aggro ones. I don't even have 8,000 gold saved up and the expansion probably launches in a month so won't even hit 10,000. 100 packs -- while covering the commons and rares -- will leave you woefully short on epics and legendaries. And now they're adding even more legendaries which are bound to be more useful since they are class oriented... well... fuck it. This new meta might be the one where I uninstall assuming it would take too much for me to craft fun decks. The cash price of Hearthstone packs is an absolutely terrible value. I'd rather spend it on WoW or Derpablo.

Last edited:
The cash price of Hearthstone packs is an absolutely terrible value. I'd rather spend it on WoW or Derpablo.

That's about the whole point. If I wanted to spend that kind of cash on a bloody card game, I'd rather spend it on MtG, as at least I'd be getting physical cards I can play long after WotC's website has gone down. Plus, buying a box of booster packs will net you about the whole playset - I don't think you can get that with 100 HS packs, and it costs about as much. And then there's this week's brawl, trying to get some suckers to give them extra shekels for the privilege of being steamrolled by the hardcore players.

I'm getting back into L5R this summer (I'm sold on the setting, and if the system is half as good as Warhammer 40k Conquest I'm going to have a hell of a good time). Also, the moment Gwent gets an Android or iOS client, I'm uninstalling this.

Tick Tock Crocodile

As far as card games go, for the past few months I've just played Shadowverse. Provided the animu aesthetic doesn't turn you off, it's essentially Hearthstone with a better dev team. More communication; public stats; quick, reasonable nerfs; free packs out the ass for every which reason. Features like the ability to have free private Arena matches with friends are fun; deck codes and such are great time-savers.

Though, eventually I'd like to move on to something where you can actually make choices during your opponent's turn (and which has an actual Western scene). MtG is basically non-existent in my country, so I'm not sure what, yet.

Zeriel

Arcane
Eternal is MTG in an online space. Blocking phase, interrupts, lands, etc. Few players, though. That's the story of good card games, though: they're not popular. Duel of Champions was the same way, the best online card game of its time, but shut down for having too few users.

Rabbid

Savant
Eternal is MTG in an online space. Blocking phase, interrupts, lands, etc. Few players, though. That's the story of good card games, though: they're not popular. Duel of Champions was the same way, the best online card game of its time, but shut down for having too few users.

I played a lot of MMDoC before it introduced the bullshit standard rotation. Really good game. Being the newfag I am, it was the first MM game I ever played and it felt nostalgic encountering Crag Hack in HoMM3 a couple of years later...

Edit: The irony of posting that reply and then looking at your sig :|

Tick Tock Crocodile If you want a digital tcg like MtG, you could also try Magic Duels and Hex.

Projas

Patron
Some pretty cool stuff got revealed.

hYVpUUU.png
JAfADXx.png
5v8lfU6.png
HSkAOtp.png
2SLSMyE.png
The Warlock quest card summons 2 3/2 imps at the end of your turn. Seems like there's quite a few new mechanics. Doesn't look half bad so far.

Tick Tock Crocodile

Tick Tock Crocodile If you want a digital tcg like MtG, you could also try Magic Duels and Hex.

I heard of Hex before, I think. The main thing stopping me from trying that one is that, last I checked, you can't really play for free (and I would assume anything digital from Magic is the same?). I have a rule that dictates I never pay for anything within a game, because I've got the self-control of a whale and none of the dosh of one :lol:

Rabbid

Savant
Magic Duels is f2p (unlike Magic Online). It is better than Hearthstone in that aspect. You can only get cards from boosters, and you can't get cards you already own from them. Effectively, each set is unlockable using a predetermined number of boosters (around 60-80 depending on the set size). Sadly, there are already 7 sets in the card pool with another one coming in April, so a new player has a lot of catching up to do. You can get some enjoyment out of it if you focus on the latest sets though.

You could also pay the fee of entering Magic Online (10 usd). Then you can abuse the free trade bots and try to buy some decent cards with your starting credit.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So the log-in rewards they said would help ease the transition from a 2800/$20 adventure to a full blown 200k gold/$200 expansion is a week of outdated packs and a paltry amount of gold? I still don't even have 100k saved up nor will I by the time this launches in a week. The irony is $20 for an adventure is a decent enough value for me but pissing a couple of hundred per expansion on pack/dust? No thanks. Will open my cards, wait a couple of weeks but chances are I'm done. No way I'll be able to craft more than two fun decks with them making class quests legendary.

Projas

Patron
Yeah, the log-in rewards are shit. But you do get like 3.5k free dust for the classic cards that rotate to wild (more if you have them golden). And you can dust all the shit going to wild.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That's just stop-gap. Eventually you'll run out of dust in the long run. Not shelling out $300+ a year for a derpy digital TCG.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Dusted my duplicate MSG cards (was holding on to them in the event of nerfs). From 100+ packs I got maybe 4,000ish dust. And rere's on the Hearthstone forums are saying they get enough dust from 50 packs to craft several top decks. Yeah... no. 50 packs would get you maybe 2,500 extra dust if you're lucky. Good enough for one whole legendary and one whole epic. In an expansion centered around a unique legendary for each class.

sser

Arcane
Developer
So, 18-legendaries total in this expansion? Seems like way too much.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Class legendaries?

*Ah, didn't put that. I was thinking it seemed like a ton of legendaries if each class had 1-ordinary legendary and then that 'quest' legendary, but I'm barely following the news so I might be totally wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom