Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This thread along with Asian game forum should stand as lasting proof that rpgcodex has mostly children as members who hate rpgs. They like big budget games for retards and sometimes those games may, but usually don't, have rpg elements. They don't care, they are 12 and have an rpgcodex account.

The Codex is a bar where people go to ventilate their grievances regardless of whether these grievances are based in facts and reason or sensuality and passion.

Codex regulars who enjoy the game are either playing it or gushing about it on other forums.

Mostly, only the ones who hate the game are the members who bother to show up in these threads during launch period.

Over time, those dissident members will return and assert their enjoyment of the game.

cruelio

Savant
TFW Bryan Fargo isn't going to keep getting away with it:kwafuckyeah:

But then you remember he scammed morons including the morons in this forum out of millions first :deathclaw:

UnknownBro

Savant
r938et.png

Last edited:

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Compare this to PoE and Torment please. I'm sure with steamspy we can know how many copies of PoE was sold this soon after release.

I am assuming my assertion from the numbers given before would still hold true comparing 150k versus 1000k for sales of PoE versus Torment. Or the numbers given for both Torment and PoE earlier are way off. Math is an exact science. This isn't conjecture when we have numbers.

Pillars was released March 26, 2015.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/poe-sales-analysis-thread.98107/

March 29:

Seems like they've sold at least 200,000 units.

ineptile blown the fuck out

Are you guys really this bad at math? 80k/200= 40% 150k/1000k = 15%. So, Torment has 40% of PoE sales per the numbers you gave, and PST had 15% of BG sales per the numbers you gave.

I am going off the numbers you gave. How is my assertion wrong? How fucking old are you guys? For people who prefer Asian non-rpg console games you guys really need some Asian friends to teach you math.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Getting away with what? Making good crpgs for people who like crpgs? Why don't you guys just stick to Zelda and let people who like rpgs have this thread.

This is the first time I issue a "Retarded" rating. You deserve it, my friend.

I dislike children and people who post on rpg sites who do not like rpgs. This means I am not your friend.

Also, the irony of you guys calling me a retard is precious to me and any other thinking adult with a basic knowledge of math. I wear your retard rating thing like a badge of honor.

I'm not here to befriend idiots with fucked up chromosomes; I am here because (unlike all of you) I actually like rpgs and thought for a minute this was a site for people like me. I now know it isn't. It is a site for console fans who happen to also be children who do not care if the game they play is an rpg or not to shit on rpgs. The correct name for this site is ConsoleChildrenCodex.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
He sounds like Neckbeard Shitlord junior. Or Roqua's illegitimate child.

Are you guys really this bad at math? 80k/200= 40% 150k/1000k = 15%. So, Torment has 40% of PoE sales per the numbers you gave, and PST had 15% of BG sales per the numbers you gave.

Ou of the 80.000 people on Steam who own Torment, at least half of them had it already in Early Access (according to SteamSpy) and nobody knows how many of the 80.000 backers claimed it after the release on Steam (as opposed to before the release or on GOG), so nobody really knows shit, except that it is not selling all that well so far.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
No one needs math to see who's the youngest person on this thread, at least mentally.

I am assuming you mean me? So me saying sensible things and getting angry with people who seem to deny math is real makes me mentally immature?

I bet you are an adult that still plays with toys and children's games and then has the audacity to claim I am mentally immature. You are an adult mentor of children who don't even like rpgs on an rpg site for crying out loud. In what kind of Twilight Zone zany universe am I the immature one? I know, one controlled by retarded kids who lack logic and reasoning.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
He sounds like Neckbeard Shitlord junior.

Ou of the 80.000 people on Steam who own Torment, at least half of them bought it already in Early Access and nobody knows how many of the 80.000 backers claimed it after the release on Steam (as opposed to before the release or on GOG), so nobody really knows shit, except that it is not selling all that well so far.

Holy fucking shit. Are the PoE numbers not including backers? How is this any sort of rebuttal to my assertion? What you are saying actually makes my assertion even stronger and it didn't even mention console sales that PoE doesn't have.

Is there a real adult on this site I can speak to? Someone with at least average comprehension of simple concepts?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I have no desire to do this. I am sorry for trying to bring reason and perspective into this thread. My bad. You guys have fun doing whatever it is you were doing.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I dislike children and people who post on rpg sites who do not like rpgs. This means I am not your friend.

Also, the irony of you guys calling me a retard is precious to me and any other thinking adult with a basic knowledge of math. I wear your retard rating thing like a badge of honor.

I'm not here to befriend idiots with fucked up chromosomes; I am here because (unlike all of you) I actually like rpgs and thought for a minute this was a site for people like me. I now know it isn't. It is a site for console fans who happen to also be children who do not care if the game they play is an rpg or not to shit on rpgs. The correct name for this site is ConsoleChildrenCodex.

Math and computer RPGs are for autistic basement dwelling permavirgin nerds like you. Consoles and Japanese game are the best :cool:

go switch your piss bottles and kill urself faget :DD

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Let's say that half of the 80.000 POE backers and half of the 80.000 Torment backers claimed their game on Steam. That means that actual first three days sales of TTON/POE are closer to 40k/160k = 25%, not 40%.

It's still better percentage-wise than the first year numbers for PST/BG: 150k/1000k = 15%. The all time sales numbers for PST/BG are 400k/2000k = 20%. So it looks like TTON may have a similar or better start when compared to POE, than PST had compared to BG.

And that is with the "bad" first three days numbers of TTON.

I wonder how many people will understand this post.

Zeriel

Arcane
That's not a good result, though. The target audience is much bigger than it was back then. BG2 had a "blockbuster" opening of 200-250K (a figure often cited in old press releases from Bioware). D:OS cracked 1 million in its first year. That demonstrates the growth in potential players--doing exponentially better commercially, without the backing of a major publisher, on budgets that are comparatively small compared to what BG 2 was relative to the time. Doing slightly better than Torment did almost two decades ago is a failure. Although in this case I'd say there's far more to criticize about the game, sales figures are an afterthought... still, worth mentioning.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
If the TTON/POE first three days ratio of 25% holds, that would mean around 200.000 Torment copies will sell in the first two years (25% of 800.000 POE copies).

KK1001

Arbiter
I never imagined in 1999 that comparable games 18 years in the future would look, feel, and play worse.

How the fuck did we get here?

Sykar

Arcane
Are there any news stories about the commercial success of the game? There were 74.4 k Kickstarter backers, and SteamSpy says there's 79.9 k + 8 k owners, i.e. statistically indistinguishable. That implies very little sales, have we heard otherwise from any news outlets?
SteamSpy will give it's data with a bit of delay.
I would say that it would be better to make any kind of judgement only after a week from release.
Probably didnt sell a whole damn lot anyway considering it peaked on like 7k players day 1. For comparison, PoE peaked almost 50k

Sadly, turn based and reading heavy are turn-offs to people.

But, if PoE is a BG spiritual successor, and Torment is a PST spiritual successor, they are probably accurately following the sales trends of their predecessors. If I am remembering right, PST sold like shit on release.

While I thought it was sad that PS:T did not have financial success, it did get a lot of glowing reviews, back when gaming journalism was not as much of the stinking cesspit it is today and PS:T was overall very good sans combat if you are a story fag like me.

This "spiritual" successor on the other hand is not nearly as good, everything I read and watch about the game makes me not want to play it. Worse this is the second title that inXile blew for me. First WL 2, which I bought and never finished because it became such a bore after AG Center/Highpool that I dropped it and I made three attempts for a complete playthough, the last one with the DC and it still bore me to tears.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Yeah, such a thing was totally unimaginable in 1999.
Gabriel_Knight_3_screenshot.png

Oh, hi, Gabriel Knight 3 (1999)!

The late 1990s, early 2000s were an iron age of beautiful, well-made 2D franchises being utterly annihilated by a conversion to 3D! From Star Control to Simon the Sorcerer. In fact, 3D wasn't even necessary, as King's Quest 7 instructs.

Enjoy the flashes of wonder when they come.

jungl

Augur
Im sure Inexile knew going in this would get abysmal sales. They got all their money from backers anyway. Very few percentage of people want to read text after text. Its why tyranny sales sucked also. Lore dump turns people away. If there was a vote more people would vote for trash combat then paragraphs of lore. Im betting my balls bards tale 4 will be inexiles first great game and will sell the most copies.

Rev

Arcane
Let's say that half of the 80.000 POE backers and half of the 80.000 Torment backers claimed their game on Steam. That means that actual first three days sales of TTON/POE are closer to 40k/160k = 25%, not 40%.

It's still better percentage-wise than the first year numbers for PST/BG: 150k/1000k = 15%. The all time sales numbers for PST/BG are 400k/2000k = 20%. So it looks like TTON may have a similar or better start when compared to POE, than PST had compared to BG.

And that is with the "bad" first three days numbers of TTON.

I wonder how many people will understand this post.
On top of that, using those numbers doesn't make any sense. Torment didn't sold 400k in three days, and neither did BG2 sold 1 M copies in the same amount of time, they sold those numbers in about one year since release. Comparing them to what PoE and TToN sold in half a week is retarded.

Zeriel

Arcane
Remember Warhammer 40k, the dark age of consoles technology and all that? True story.

In the Warhammer setting the Dark Ages of Technology wasn't a real Dark Ages, though. The empire just uses that story to cover up the fact they live in declined times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom