Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Meanwhile on inXile forums:

Jean-Luc said:
Control your people Infinitron. You know who they are.
icon_e_wink.gif

So IHaveHugeNick, are you feeling controled enough?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Are there any news stories about the commercial success of the game? There were 74.4 k Kickstarter backers, and SteamSpy says there's 79.9 k + 8 k owners, i.e. statistically indistinguishable. That implies very little sales, have we heard otherwise from any news outlets?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Are there any news stories about the commercial success of the game? There were 74.4 k Kickstarter backers, and SteamSpy says there's 79.9 k + 8 k owners, i.e. statistically indistinguishable. That implies very little sales, have we heard otherwise from any news outlets?
SteamSpy will give it's data with a bit of delay.
I would say that it would be better to make any kind of judgement only after a week from release.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I would say that it would be better to make any kind of judgement only after a week from release.
Probably didnt sell a whole damn lot anyway considering it peaked on like 7k players day 1. For comparison, PoE peaked almost 50k

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Probably didnt sell a whole damn lot anyway considering it peaked on like 7k players day 1. For comparison, PoE peaked almost 50k

Sadly, turn based and reading heavy are turn-offs to people.

But, if PoE is a BG spiritual successor, and Torment is a PST spiritual successor, they are probably accurately following the sales trends of their predecessors. If I am remembering right, PST sold like shit on release.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
the long development time (cost of development) of numenera + its poor sales + two games currently in production (three counting the VR game) + highly diminished sales of WL2 and not a lot of income outside of that.

I expect them to hit KS with something new in spring and announce the development of a numenera remaster shortly.

but the company probably won't be around for much longer.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah, I don't see them staying in business tbh. They could still regain a lot of trust if they gave T:TON Wasteland DC treatment, but it looks like tough launch window and all the drama have slaughtered the sales for good, and they'll have to cut their losses and move onto BT and WL3.

GloomFrost

Arcane
the long development time (cost of development) of numenera + its poor sales + two games currently in production (three counting the VR game) + highly diminished sales of WL2 and not a lot of income outside of that.

I expect them to hit KS with something new in spring and announce the development of a numenera remaster shortly.

but the company probably won't be around for much longer.
I must admit i wouldnt mind a numenera remaster. I mean the last "big RPG" was F4, the next "big one" is ME Andromeda. Tyranny sucked, POE 2 is not going to be out for ages. In times like this the new Torment is not the worst thing ever despite being the biggest disappointment of 2017. But I totally agree that InXile days are numbered.

Cromwell

Arcane
..... They could still regain a lot of trust if they gave T:TON Wasteland DC treatment...

It only would make me hate them more. I waited years for this game, I was very hyped then I had to wait even longer, content was cut, console version had to be made instead of solely focussing on pc and so on. Now they would announce a DC? Thats like saying I would have to wait one more year for a game that should have been out over a year ago in a state they are not even sure they can deliver now. Thats not a scenario that would earn them my trust again but then I am not deranged.

I must admit i wouldnt mind a numenera remaster. I mean the last "big RPG" was F4, the next "big one" is ME Andromeda. Tyranny sucked, POE 2 is not going to be out for ages. In times like this the new Torment is not the worst thing ever despite being the biggest disappointment of 2017. But I totally agree that InXile days are numbered.

Imho a game so heavily focussed on story and writing and already light in the gameplay department should deliver heavily. If it is only average and "not the biggest disappointment of the year" why would I buy it. There is not enough gameplay focus in there to make a big difference between Numenera and a book and after they managed to disappoint there the only thing that can save the game is its writing and if thats also average you could just buy good books (or visual novels if you just have to have this clickety click feeling every few minutes).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I don't know why people expected it to sell great when PST didn't sell great either. Kickstarter certainly gave them a good amount, but the "spiritual sequel" thing was both a blessing and a curse. Blessing because more people backed them and curse because it's almost impossible to meet people's expectations in such cases, which now translates into a somewhat worse user review score.

They still have the W3 and BT4 backer money and now with Torment released an additional income stream. I don't really see them going under, even if the sales don't meet expectations.

Torment will get its DLC with the missing city and some more polish and after that we'll probably see a Kickstarter for Torment 2 when W3 and BT4 are closer to completion.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I remember when I played Planescape Torment:

"Cool, there is this entity, the Lady of Pain that rules this city, it is said she can cause immense pain towards anyone that pisses her off and that she already fucked up gods badly for crossing her."
Me: "Nah... this is just useless lore... can you bet I can pretty much do anything and absolutely nothing happen to me like on 99% of the RPGs."
After being a major douche bag: Lady of Pain stares at you ready to make you bleed from every orifice. "Fuck for me trusting on developer lazyness."

That I never tried to piss off the Lady of Pain is a testament to that game's atmosphere. In any other RPG, I would have gone "let's test this out, then". In PS:T, even without trying, I knew the game accounted for that possibility.

EDIT: "Atmosphere" is the wrong word, I should say "immersion", which isn't really that much better. But the world felt real enough in that sense.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
They still have the W3 and BT4 backer money and now with Torment released an additional income stream. I don't really see them going under, even if the sales don't meet expectations.

Torment will get its DLC with the missing city and some more polish and after that we'll probably see a Kickstarter for Torment 2 when W3 and BT4 are closer to completion.

What's funny is that W3 and BT4 may very well be the final nail in the coffin for inXile. Wasteland 3, granted, raised quite a bit of money, so saying "it only reaised 110% of its goal" is a fallacy. 110% of its goal is stilll almost 300% of Deadfire's goal. But I just can't see them surviving if Wasteland 3 and Bard's Tale 4 turn out to be "good for what they are". Numenera and Bard's Tale 4 were backed while W2 was still in production. Who knows how much money would have been raised if backers had already had the Wasteland 2 experience™.

I knows it may have been not intended, but kudos to Obsidian, really. They crowdfunded one game, they delivered one game, then they released another game without crowdfunding. And only then did they ask for money for a new game. Those who backed Deadfire can't really say "I'm backing promises without foundations".

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Eh, this time people knew what they were getting. Also WL2 peaked 18k simultaneous players

WL2 DC is one of the finest crpgs ever made. Was Torment released on console at same time as PC? Since most rpgcodex users are console lovers, maybe the children are playing it on their preferred console system instead of the PC.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I doubt they'll go bankrupt, but I don't see them finding money for another game after WL3. Sales aren't good enough, and if the sales aren't good enough Fig investors aren't interested, and community is not exactly happy with them right now. There's nobody else they can turn to,

Maybe if they can find some big project to get everybody excited again, but it would likely have to be a licensed franchise.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I knows it may have been not intended, but kudos to Obsidian, really. They crowdfunded one game, they delivered one game, then they released another game without crowdfunding. And only then did they ask for money for a new game. Those who backed Deadfire can't really say "I'm backing promises without foundations".

And now we are going to praise Obsidian for releasing shallow games on time? Who cares! Releasing games without asking for more money is their fucking obligation. Stop singing praises to them.

Moth

Learned
I doubt they'll go bankrupt, but I don't see them finding money for another game after WL3. Sales aren't good enough, and if the sales aren't good enough Fig investors aren't interested, and community is not exactly happy with them right now. There's nobody else they can turn to,

I disagree. They can always turn to the hentai game industry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom