Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yes, the level of detail, the atmosphere, the size, the characters and quests are amazing.
Too bad about the systems and itemization though.
Could have been so much more if the devs carried over more of their concepts from TW1.

Deleted member 7219

Yes, the level of detail, the atmosphere, the size, the characters and quests are amazing.
Could have been so much more if the devs carried over more of their concepts from TW1.

Agreed. The skills system in 3 was awful.

2house2fly

Magister
Too bad about the game part.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, yes, that's another way to put it.
Although I could handle a console action crpg hybrid, something like Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma for example, probably even enjoy it, if it had meaningful character development, non-shitty itemization and no freaking level/damage scaling.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The only thing they should have brought back from TW1 was the alchemy system.
Mechanically TW1 was better in almost every way, combat system included. I especially miss the inventory system, the itemization and a lot of the smaller things like getting so drunk you could barely walk, being only able to rest at bonfires and inns, or using items directly from your inventory rather than through a dialogue tree (e.g. bribes, gifts, a number of light puzzles). The character development system was more fun too. And the sex cards, of course. And even though Gwent is a really fun minigame, the original dice poker was still a bit more addictive because there was a genuine risk of losing all of your hard-earned coin.

TW3 really has many good elements in place for some enjoyable action RPG gameplay, as it gives you plenty of different tools, many different layers of character advancement (skills/abilities, alchemy, crafting and modifying your equipment, mutagens, mutations etc.) and a large selection of different enemies to fight, but the actual mechanics are just a mess. I don't think it's necessarily even a result of trying to dumb it down for console audiences, it's just that CDPR aren't very good at designing systems.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Eh, the combat is better then the Witcher 2 Roll/Quen-fest at least. Not that it means much.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, because combat in W3 is a Dodge-quen fest. Massive difference.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt

Not true. There are enemies that is better to avoid by using roll. Others in which Quen is not super effective. Others that is better to fight bt using the counter-attack.

Seriously, within the realm of TES, Fallout 3, Alpha Protocol, The Witcher 2, Two Worlds and Gothic, The Witcher 3 combat system is fairly competent.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Not true. There are enemies that is better to avoid by using roll. Others in which Quen is not super effective. Others that is better to fight bt using the counter-attack.

Seriously, within the realm of TES, Fallout 3, Alpha Protocol, The Witcher 2, Two Worlds and Gothic, The Witcher 3 combat system is fairly competent.
Roll might be useful versus big monsters, but you can get by with dodge. Never used counters etc., upto heart of stone either. Also, are you dissing Gothic's combat? :fight:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

True dat.
Really, the tweaks to the combat system between W2 and W3 might be minor, but very important.

Although I agree with ERYFKRAD, Gothic actually had engaging melee and is the standout here. Spell-slinging sucked though.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Agreed. The skills system in 3 was awful.
They tried to add some more variety with the mutations system in blood and wine, but at that point in the game you simply don't have enough skill points to make it very interesting. I think I was level 52 by the end of the DLC, with only the last act of the main story left to do in Skellige with the sun stone.

2house2fly

Magister

I don't remember any of that, spamming dodge+light attack gets you through most fights in the game. The expansions mix it up a bit with the rock monsters and some bosses, but in the main game I can only remember werewolves where you'd have to do something other than dodge+light attack because they could heal faster than you could damage them that way.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The problem is that igni is extremely overpowered, as well as bleeding effects, making it too tempting for players to abuse it.

The expansions added some new and more difficulty monsters, but not by much. The only monster I found to be challenging was the vampire boss in blood and wine, because of that fucking bat swarm that shields couldn't absorb.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The combat system works pretty well until level 8 or so, and some of the early-game fights do indeed play out differently. Jenny O' the Woods can be tough if you don't have access to Moon Dust yet, wraiths can cause you a lot of trouble by teleporting around, water hags may surprise you by throwing shit at you, alghouls are protected by their spikes, drowners will gang up on you, and even some bandit encounters may be fairly tough if there are crossbowmen involved. There clearly was some thought put into these things. It's just that after that point you'll generally be so powerful that you can beat almost anything with little preparation or change of tactics, and to find an interesting encounter you'll have to start looking for skull monsters (and Poisoned Blades makes many of those trivial as well). It isn't helped by resource management becoming a non-issue really fast with more and more potions and bombs at your disposal along with hundreds of bottles of free alcohol for replenishing them at any moment. There are also some fairly big issues regarding even the basic mechanics, like fast attacks being so powerful that they make strong attacks all but useless, parrying requiring no timing at all, being able to consume potions instantly even mid-combat (which is yet another thing that TW1 got right and the sequels for some reason didn't), and stunlocking being so damn easy and effective.

In theory the combat system has a lot of good things going for it, from the unique properties of different monsters to all the different ways you can use signs in combat, but in practice many of those things are more or less wasted because it's easier to just click your way through every encounter using more or less the same tactics every time.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
CD projekt red congratulated guerilla for the launch of horizon

4734beab1a2d25a73f03f9158be303f3.jpg

sullynathan

Arcane
Low standards. The inspiration for Witcher 3 combat was Batman Arkham and dark souls not those shits you mentioned

Mechanically TW1 was better in almost every way, combat system included
Eh, do you honestly believe this?

Falksi

Arcane
Swagman's right, the biggest gripes I had about TW3 were the horribly dull main quest, and drab uninteresting villages and towns.
Every village was just a carbon copy of the next. It never felt worthwhile exploring.
Oh and those terrible vanilla walking controls. Awful.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.techradar.com/news/cd-projekt-reds-favorite-pc-games-of-all-time

CD Projekt Red’s favorite PC games of all time
Witcher games did they choose?

HuDhpY5uhATLWeVZKx5ucJ-650-80.jpg

Konrad Tomaszkiewicz - Game Director

Ultima VII: The Black Gate

First of all, it’s very hard to pick one favorite game. There’s so many kinds of awesome games — I mean, can you seriously compare Diablo with Dune 2 or The Secret of Monkey Island?

That’s why I decided to pick one of the first games that made me want to work in the industry and develop RPGs — Ultima VII: The Black Gate.

A fully-fledged RPG, with a really good plot (for the time), a good character development system, and a gigantic open world that you could traverse on horseback (or magic carpet, if you’re a magic carpet person).

Other RPGs that come to mind are Eye of the Beholder and Might and Magic VII, but Ultima VII’s "Avatar! Know that Britannia has entered into a new age of enlightenment!" is something that has been etched in my memory in a unique way.

:thumbsup:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It took me almost two years (and 300+ hours), but I have finally finished The Witcher 3 + addons today.

Despite its flaws (of which there are many), this is still one of the best games I have ever played, and got even better with Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine. Blood and Wine is probably my favourite RPG expansion ever, alongside Night of the Raven.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom