Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://af.gog.com/news/planescape_tides_of_numenera_developer_interview?as=1649904300

PLANESCAPE: TORMENT & TORMENT: TIDES OF NUMENERA DEVS EXPLORE THE CONNECTIONS, COMMON THEMES, AND PERSONAL EXPERIENCES

Planescape: Torment has a sequel now (okay, so that feels pretty great to say). Technically it's a "thematic sequel", in practice it is every bit the followup to one of the greatest video game stories ever told.

Just as importantly, both Planescape: Torment and Torment: Tides of Numenera were designed and brought to life by some of the very same creative minds. This week, we had a chat with two of those minds: Colin McComb – Torment's Creative Lead – and Adam Heine – Torment's Design Lead – to explore the connections between the games, as well as their own experiences working on two sister projects decades apart.

Let's start with the most important thing: can you tell us about yourselves, and your roles in Tides of Numenera and Planescape: Torment?

COLIN: I am the creative lead for Torment: Tides of Numenera, which means I’m responsible for the overall narrative, major characters, and vision. That is not to say that I did this all myself, mind you! People like Adam, Chris, George, Kevin, and Nathan were all extraordinarily helpful in the early drafts of the story and in focusing our attention on how to deliver the proper player experience.

730d251829aaa348d199d483b062eff93f139b3637154a4a0a435aeb990e5be8.jpg

On Planescape: Torment, I was the second designer on the project – when the PS:T team was ready to move into production, I came aboard.

ADAM: As Torment's design lead, my primary role is to design, or oversee design, for the various gameplay systems—everything from combat to conversations to items to companion attitudes. I also designed a few areas within the game and, like Colin, wrote a good chunk of conversations.

On Planescape: Torment, I was a scripter responsible for implementing the areas of the game, including combat AIs and scripted cutscenes.

So, what's the coolest thing you got to work on for either game?

COLIN: Well, getting to shape the story for Torment: Tides of Numenera was definitely the high point. Being involved from start to finish was a huge privilege and a great treat. For PS:T? I’d say either writing the Smoldering Corpse bar or writing Trias’s final dialogue.

ADAM: My favorite part of working on Planescape: Torment was figuring out how to make cranium rats smarter and more deadly as more of them appeared on-screen.

On Numenera, the coolest thing I got to work on was Pat Rothfuss's character Rhin. She intentionally breaks several RPG companion tropes, and it was really interesting trying to figure out how to make her fun and sympathetic without frustrating the player's expectations of her. Discussing story, character, and games with Pat was an additional, extremely pleasant bonus.

Planescape: Torment asked “What can change the nature of man?” Torment: Tides of Numenera asks "What does one life matter?" So why these questions, and what makes the answers important?

8606e71bae0d6a179bcd90c0ab3acd00a457596090d6b4367a36078592445556.jpg

COLIN: These are fundamental philosophical questions. Chris created the thematic question for Planescape: Torment, and it resonated strongly with our players. We thought that was one of the strongest appeals for our game – the question that would help our players explore the issues in their own lives. These are ongoing questions – they don’t require you to find the answer and then live by it for the rest of your life. You can come back at different stages of your life and find new nuances and fresh perspectives each time you ask, and each time the question will reward you.

The two Torment games explore morality decades apart from each other. So what's your take on how morality has changed in video games, and did you bring any of these modern ideas into Tides of Numenera?

ADAM: Tides of Numenera absolutely explores morality and shades of gray. One of our conventions from the very start—for both conversations and quests—is that there should almost never be an obvious "best solution." If there's a crazed lunatic holding open a portal to hell, maybe you can kill him, trick him into killing himself, or convince him to live with the pain that caused him to open the portal in the first place, but there's no easy option where he realizes he's wrong and becomes a good, happy person.

I think Torment: Tides of Numenera takes morality a step further than Planescape: Torment in that there is no good/evil dichotomy built into the system. Whether it's explicit or not, a lot of RPGs are subconsciously built around D&D's alignment system—I've yet to meet an RPG designer whose first inclination is not to think in terms of good/evil/lawful/chaotic. That inclination is something we had to fight against on TTON as well, and certainly you'll find situations here and there where you're asked to make a choice between right and wrong, but much more often you will find your choices are more nuanced than that, where you're forced to make hard decisions about people's lives.

Are there parts of Tides of Numenera that you see as a direct evolution of Planescape: Torment? Anything you set out to do better?

COLIN: We explicitly drew our major design pillars from PS:T – a world unlike any other; a deep, personal story (not an epic save the world quest, but a personal narrative); and choice, consequence, and reactivity. We wanted to honor the strange and alien feel of a living world that is unlike anything else on the market today, and we wanted to ensure that the player would feel the story’s direction is a direct consequence of the choices he or she made throughout the game.

ADAM: TTON's combat system represents the greatest departure from Planescape: Torment. It was generally felt that PS:T's combat system was the least interesting part of the game, so we steered combat hard in the opposite direction: turn-based instead of real-time, hand-crafted scenarios instead of filler trash mobs, and the vast majority of fights are avoidable if you say or do the right thing. The result is less combat than you would expect in an RPG, but it's tied to the narrative and far more interesting.

76ffe8b436b6d4ccc65a5154e6db9426430932844026e3bddab1c9f78eba749e.jpg

On the other side, conversations and companion arcs will be very familiar to Torment fans. Our conversation system is intentionally designed to look and feel like PS:T, though even there we made a few improvements. The Nano's Scan Thoughts ability, for example, allows you to read the surface thoughts of virtually every NPC you meet, giving you additional insight into their character and story. We pushed companion arcs, too, to the point where a few of them can resolve their storyline—and leave the party forever—before you even reach the end, if you so choose. In every way, we tried to take what people loved about PS:T and push it even further.

Finally, for the biggest fans, the games are connected in so many ways – can we expect any cameos from Planescape: Torment in Tides of Numenera?

COLIN: Yes indeed! We didn’t want the game to be a bunch of in-jokes, but we also seeded a few direct references, and some that were less obvious.

ADAM: Due to IP constraints, there are (almost) no straight-up cameos, but there are a lot of nods to the original. Every single one of our writers is a huge fan of PS:T, and although Colin, George, and I were pretty strict about not letting anyone break the fourth wall, Torment fans will find much to love.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The real incline rests on indies now, like Overhyped Studios and ZA/UM.

No Truce with the Fur(r)ies really looks like it has potential. The citation of both PS:T and Kentucky Route Zero in the same sentence is enough to inspire a spark of both interest and hype in me.

What surprises me is how fresh everything is. This is the type or artsy indie game that will get noticed. On the other hand, talk about dialogue systems is cheap and we need actual game content. Remember how cool PoE’s reputation system looked when Sawyer was giving interviews? How about tides in ToN?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Doesn't help that the game is very small. It is very small, a miniature, like a snowglobe. Sagus which is supposed to be big city is around the size of Mortuary, give or take a few territories. Local "dustmen" work in a place that in PS:T would be a small single hut with a single NPC living in it.

Yeah, Sagus being very small hit me like a truck when I was exploring to find Erritis. It's almost like a sample slice.

Anyway, found Matkina, finally. The weird thing is that she gave no indication that she'd like to join me, I fixed her little problem and she basically said she's off to finally do other stuff. The option to invite her to the party came out of nowhere in that context. Told Tybir to fuck off, I really had no interest in saving his "friend", and am now trying to find Rhin, already met her slavers.

Prime Junta

What surprises me is how fresh everything is. This is the type or artsy indie game that will get noticed. On the other hand, talk about dialogue systems is cheap and we need actual game content. Remember how cool PoE’s reputation system looked when Sawyer was giving interviews? How about tides in ToN?

I saw some of the content and it was scary good. It's also some of the first content they've created, which means that if things take their usual course it'll get even better as they learn while doing.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I saw some of the content and it was scary good. It's also some of the first content they've created, which means that if things take their usual course it'll get even better as they learn while doing.
This sounds too good to be true.

Prime Junta

This sounds too good to be true.

There remains the little matter of finishing it before the money runs out...

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The game must be flopping like crazy in sales. 7.300 max simultaneous players while wasteland had 18.576 and it doesn't even appear on the top sellers.

What I find hilarious is how much some people in the InXile forums are in denial. They acted like everything is fine.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
My impressions after ~1 hour:
- At first I thought besides three main stats there are much more, so far it's strange
- Intro wasn't too good, thought we'll get one that they released recently. Dissapoiting
- Many main character "personalities" to choose, not sure if they mean much though
- First two characters are typicall Bioware's Idiot with good heart and Cynical Intelligent. Very originall
- First location looked nice, not sure if I am right but it seems many civilizations was built in this place, each on another, so I am looking at pieces of all of them. Interesting
- First crisis was... strange? I like option to talk, but there was way too much talking to be plausible
- Our stats are only a resource? Is it a joke? Concept is laughable. Not sure if they even change dialogs or add more of them. I hope they do
- Dialogs and text isn't bad... but it made me sleepy.
- Skill checks are paper, scisors and stone. That's not RPG, it's resource manager simulator.
- These gold, silver and blue "reputation" we get are some sort of moral system? It's bad. Still better than Mass Effect though

I forgot to write about music, I didn't hear it. My brain simply didn't acknowledged its existence. I will try to hear it in next session.

Despite it all, I am looking forward with optimism

Edit: I think it's important to say that I didn't finish Planescape:Torment, despite trying few times. I will finish it eventually, but there's always something that drags me away from game. Saying it just to make you sure that I am not comparing them, although hard and dark(?) atmosphere was in P:T felt since the beggining. So far in P:ToN I didn't feel anything.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So I guess T:TON is pretty good, as a standalone rpg.. though compared to P:ST? It's lacking.

The problem is, that people compare this to the original, rightly so. However, I imagine that people who never played P:ST, but played T:ON, are gonna have a blast of a time.

Similarily, people who probably didn't spend much time on Fallout 1 and 2, probably enjoyed WL2 a fair bit.

Obviously I'm not saying the games didn't market themselves as spiritual succesors, because they did, but as standalone RPGs, they're both (T:ON and WL2 and others) pretty good, actually.

People should realize that we won't get 1997-2000s type of quality RPGs anymore, we just won't, at least not at all in the same way. We need to let go of that nostalgic focus.

Sòren

Arcane

wtf this really looks pretty cool. i didn't know this was a serious project, i really though it would be about...furries.

codex with its stupid puns ffs

Prime Junta

wtf this really looks pretty cool. i didn't know this was a serious project, i really though it would be about...furries.

It's serious all right. Big ol' studio. Team is about the same size as the Pillars of Eternity one.

GloomFrost

Arcane
So I guess T:TON is pretty good, as a standalone rpg.. though compared to P:ST? It's lacking.

The problem is, that people compare this to the original, rightly so. However, I imagine that people who never played P:ST, but played T:ON, are gonna have a blast of a time.

Similarily, people who probably didn't spend much time on Fallout 1 and 2, probably enjoyed WL2 a fair bit.

Obviously I'm not saying the games didn't market themselves as spiritual succesors, because they did, but as standalone RPGs, they're both (T:ON and WL2 and others) pretty good, actually.

People should realize that we won't get 1997-2000s type of quality RPGs anymore, we just won't, at least not at all in the same way. We need to let go of that nostalgic focus.
If the game didnt market itself as a Torment successor it would have never gotten so much money it did therefore it probably would never exist. People wanted another Torment thats why they backed the game.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
PS:T had a Lead Designer, Chris Avellone, who obviously assumed a de-facto Creative Lead role. Nobody remembers Fallout 2's lead designer though, because he wasn't very important. Nor was Fallout 1's really (no, it wasn't Tim Cain).

But anyway, structure matters, but I'm more interested in the effect of the modern separation between "design" and "writing" roles, which as I said used to be combined. I think that could lead to what appears to the player like a "lack of focus".

I don't know if you can blame it on bad workflow or bad structure or whatever. Look how differently InXile operates compared to Obsidian. InXile basically cut off communication, hide in the the trenches for couple of years, and only come out when the game is finished. Obsidian though? Josh spams every day on 3 different forums and communicates everything, including what he had for breakfast and whether it had impact on the texture and color of the massive dump he took afterwards.

It's like, completely different approach, and yet the problems every game ends up with are remarkably similar.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

If the game didnt market itself as a Torment successor it would have never gotten so much money it did therefore it probably would never exist. People wanted another Torment thats why they backed the game.

I don't disagree, I'm just saying, the game InXile made for 4-5 whatever million, is not a bad game. It might be bad compared to P:ST, but it's not a bad RPG for the cost of making it.

Moth

Learned
Another analytical rant incoming:

As an aside, the Bloom itself is a very fascinating character. It's much more than just a gimmicky sentient environment with plot relevance. This is a proper and true Lovecraftian creature. Tentacles, old age, and being sealed in a can isn't enough to make something Lovecraftian. The Bloom honestly feels like one of the least forced segments of the game, despite the Deus Ex Machina that transports you to it. The atmosphere it possesses seems to be what the rest of the game is attempting to cultivate.

Sagus Cliffs was used to introduce people to the entire world of Numenera. That was a mistake. Its own unique identity was sacrificed for the sake of shoehorning in characters and plots that would make it resemble Sigil, and therefore, Planescape: Torment. Sagus Cliffs doesn't need to be Sigil. The Bloom already fulfills the "neighborhood full of transdimensional gates" quota. I find it highly unlikely, despite being a trade town, that Sagus Cliffs should have contained so many unique and powerful entities. The only place its identity is explored is in the government district, and with dialogue with the psychic companions of the Fifth Eye. Remember, this is supposed to be the capital of a small nation, not just a random seaside port. Though its status as a capital, again, could be used as an excuse for the amount of bizarre and alien creatures in it, it still damages the atmosphere over all. Unless InXile was trying to make a political statement about how multiculturalism eliminates local identity, which they were not, Sagus Cliffs was a failure on the atmospheric/world building side of things. That said, it was still a good game design choice as far as pacing goes. Or would have been, if the Oasis was still a full city.

Now, back to the Bloom and what they did right.

It's a giant, psionic mass of flesh that sees itself as a predator of material matter in general, wishing to assimilate anything and everything. And as a predator, it holds an almost tribalistic respect for other predators. And it rewards the respect it holds for others by assimilating them and digesting them. Or, if it REALLY respects them, mind raping them with the images of other worlds where it has begun its predation. Almost as if to say "here, look at my accomplishments, lil buddy." When that one NPC describes being sucked into a maw and getting mind melded, it almost seems like the Bloom is showing off its sports trophies to a friend that has come over to its house.
There is a good degree of personality and character to the Bloom as well, for being largely treated as an environment. You can tell that it is ambitious due to its desire to be the ubiquitous and univocal presence wherever it goes. Houses cannot exist inside of it without being consummated into the Bloom itself. One perception check even reveals that it is so thorough that when offerings to it are laid on a table in its honor, that tiny, miniscule tendrils have grown to embrace them and claim them.
You can also tell that the Bloom is prideful and sees its own nature as the only proper nature for any creature to have, as seen by the infection of the peaceful herbivore in the entry zone, and it forcefully subjugating the herbivore's owner into being a host it. The Bloom, in this regard, seems very opinionated on social order. Particularly, upsetting it. Not only does it turn the herbivorous pet into a dominant parasite and its owner into the host, it is also responsible for Chila's rebellion, and turning the slave families of Sagus into its ruling class of aristocracy.
One last note is, that despite its desire to be all consuming, it is an individualistic and private being. This is very much in the spirit of Lovecraft. His monsters weren't just mysterious because they were so alien, they were alien because they had no desire to be understood or to be relatable. This can be seen with the Bloom rallying its sympathizers against a scientist who is causing no damage to the bloom, and only attempting to understand it passively.

So yeah. The Bloom is really well done.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Shitstorm on InXile forums? LOLcontent

77% is worse than Wasteland, and that was barely playable on launch and LA area stayed broken for 3 months. Torment is actually quite polished, the reviews were good-to-great, they had extra marketing from Techland, they had more backers to spread the word, it's a successor to much more popular franchise. It should be doing a lot better and you know it. And InXile know it too, or they wouldn't be out on Twitter asking for positive reviews and Sear wouldn't spend entire day doing damage control in the Steam comments.

So can we drop the pretense how having entire front page full of negative reviews has no impact.

And yes, I've skimmed briefly through those top 20 negative reviews and some of them make good points, but most of them are utter nonsense. Apparently half of game has been cut, entire core of game has been removed, there was some conspiracy to make the game turn-based, money was spent on console development, and more of completely inane drivel like this.

But these reviewers are getting their narrative from somewhere, and that's InXile's own damn fault. They've been shit at communicating since WL2, and it only got worse. Review manipulation in time of controversy is of course a thing, but again, that's developer's job to get control of the messaging rather than sit on their ass, and then act surprised and beg for positive scores on Twitter.

It's an embarrassment that they still don't have proper community manager. They were supposedly oh so sorry about "forgetting" about cut companions and were supposed to fix their approach, but evidently nothing was done.

If this game flops commercially it's gonna be a problem, because I guarantee you they were planning to tunnel the profits into BT4 and WL3. Do you see them making BT4 that they promised, for mere 1.5 million? Not a chance.

I'm pretty happy with T:TON, it has it's issues but it honestly exceeded my expectations so far and I'd rate it a lot higher than WL2. But let's not beat around the bush, the launch is a trainwreck.

Why do you think it is insane that console development costs money? Its additional development time. You don't just push a button and get 3 different builts. Even if you have a engine like unity that is capable of delivering a result for different plattforms it never works without problems and adjustments. You also have to hire testers for every plattform and fulfill all those requirements from Microsoft and Sony before you can publish a game. And after all that is done you have to press those Blurays and DVDs. I would not wonder if about 10% of the development money were invested into cross plattform development.

Money that could have been invested into the games depth. Money that was exactly given by their backers for that single reason.

:lol::lol::lol:

duanth123

Arcane
It's hard out there for an indie pet project

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17268&start=40

Infinitron wrote:It's not manipulation. Steam is just swarming with "consumer advocate" edgelords looking for reasons not to buy a game and they're happy to upvote any review that gives them those reasons.

Yes, I believe you are correct on your theory. But I would also consider that a form of review manipulation, especially if it was actively encouraged by the people who wrote those reviews in the first place. Upvote or downvote campaigns are toxic to the gaming community as a whole, because it makes it difficult for a prospective customer to get real perspective on the quality of a product.
Unfortunately the gaming community seems to be rife with that kind of behavior in this day and age. I've seen similar absurdity with other crowdfunded indie games, such as with Darkest Dungeon or Dead State.

Malpercio

Arcane
Boy, is possible to release a cRPG indie RPG noways without some kind of shitstorm and reviews bandwagon, I wonder?

Hellion

Arcane
They should have made "Scan Thought" a basic ability of the Castoff regardless of classes/builds. It adds so much flavor (and sometimes even has more practical uses, like scanning a thought and then having a new dialogue option "what was this X I heard you thinking about just now") that it seems ridiculous to play without it.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Who did write Erritis? He was the best companion imo(Scan Thought ability will even make him sound more interesting)
Take a stab in the dark and fucking guess. Go right ahead and ask yourself who wrote the best character in an otherwise mediocre game. I loved the character even before someone told me.

:drink:

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
PS:T had a Lead Designer, Chris Avellone, who obviously assumed a de-facto Creative Lead role. Nobody remembers Fallout 2's lead designer though, because he wasn't very important. Nor was Fallout 1's really (no, it wasn't Tim Cain).

But anyway, structure matters, but I'm more interested in the effect of the modern separation between "design" and "writing" roles, which as I said used to be combined. I think that could lead to what appears to the player like a "lack of focus".

I don't know if you can blame it on bad workflow or bad structure or whatever. Look how differently InXile operates compared to Obsidian. InXile basically cut off communication, hide in the the trenches for couple of years, and only come out when the game is finished. Obsidian though? Josh spams every day on 3 different forums and communicates everything, including what he had for breakfast and whether it had impact on the texture and color of the massive dump he took afterwards.

It's like, completely different approach, and yet the problems every game ends up with are remarkably similar.

The differences doesn't end there, for all Eternity's, Sawyer's and Obsidian's faults/flaws on how they handled the mechanics, writing and design, at least they listen to criticism and feedback and at least try to work to fix those, and admit where the players have valid criticism, such as the stronghold and underdeveloped and underwhelming Defiance Bay. Someone might correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I've seen any acknowledgement from inXile about the flaws in Wasteland 2.

I give big props for Sawyer because he very actively engages with the audience (and consumers), which goes a long way in my books even if I don't like what they're doing or might not agree with him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom