Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Gothic 1 > Gothic 2 >>>>>>>> Gothic 3 >> Risen >>>>>>>>>>>> Risen 3 >>>> Risen 3

Observe the intelligent use of '>' :)
Two errors though:
G2>G1
R1>G3

G2 >G1 Unfortunately not. Gothic 1 story is much better than the one from Gothic 2. Also the overall G1 experience is much tighter than G2 experience while both games are great.

R1 > G3 No. First half of Risen 1 is basically on par with Gothic 1/2 however the second part is simply garbage without any redeeming qualities. Overall G3 world is much more interesting (while empty at the same time) than whatever is the end-game in Risen 1.

Last edited:

Kahr

I don't care about the story in Piranha Bytes games and you shouldn't too.

The second half of R1 is of course horrid, but the beginning alone is much more entertaining than whole G3 for me.
Although i don't really hate G3; it's just uninspired i guess.
The worst thing on G3 is that it doesn't exhale the PB breath, if you know what i mean.
PB isn't exactly famous for their big empty worlds.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
G3 was utterly mediocre at release, only years later due to fan patches did it resemble anything like the previous games, even then in an inferior form.

Risen 1 was half finished at release and never fixed or updated by anyone into a coherent experience.

Risen 2 and 3 on the other hand, were finished products, shipped and designed with consoles in mind, and even by those platforms standards, they were shit. Dunno how anyone in their right mind can defend those fucking games.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
16487291_1708103936187076_2283935657604574894_o.jpg
:prosper:

Deleted Member 16721

Can't go wrong with Gothic 1 or 2 but I would suggest to start with the first if it's your first time. Also, Gothic 1 is my favorite of the 2 and the most memorable, although G2 is excellent as well. I would agree that the second game is also more polished, but the world and setting is a bit more interesting in the original.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
That footage looks terrible, this is going to be such a trainwreck.
I'm actually shocked at how little they showed off. Is this all they have? It's nearly been one year since the reveal footage and it doesn't seem radically polished in any way. :roll:

Firearms look pathetic too.

Last edited:

fobia

Those swings with the sword look very exaggerated. But why use a sword when you play a PB game? Stealth archer is the way to go. ;)

I'm still hoping for a new Gothic 2 from them. We'll see whether they're able to recreate an atmosphere like in the older Gothics.
I was hoping they'd go for a bit of a darker world, in atmosphere as well as in colour palette. But hey, if neither gameplay nor story suck, there'll be an actual RPG to play in german.
Which is nice.

Heretic

Cipher
That actually doesn't look bad, I'm curious how it's going to play. I like their style of RPGs. They're flawed but the flaws are much more bearable than eg. the flaws in Spiders' games, mainly due to the fact that the level design by Spiders is a series of tubes while PB try to create a living world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom