Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Ivan

Arcane
Wrong. L.A. was great.

samson, samson protect me

Last edited:

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I would like some examples of games with good combat from the people stating the combat of this game is bad? PS:T? Clicker hero? KotOR 1 and 2?

pippin

why the sad songs are cheaper than happy ones, she says "because there are more of them

tumblr_static_steven-wilson-porcupine-tree-no-man-blackfield.jpg

DemonKing

Arcane
I've only played a few hours but I'm enjoying it so far - nice graphics, some imaginative elements (so far I like the Eaters of the Dead and the Red Room), and I find the character development and use of attributes interesting compared to other games. Can't really comment on the combat as apart from the introduction I haven't had any yet (make me wonder if buying new armour/weapons is worthwhile).

Looking forward to playing some more.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Damn... how the fuck can you make combat worse than WL2?

Might as well make it Real time with pause, FFS.
I'd glady smashed some cool monster sprites with a talking +3 club and blast them with spells from JRPGs with color palette made of all tastes of rainbow instead of slow Numanuma whackamoling, pretty sure of it. Doesn't help that character models, monsters and effects in Numa are just boring. The only creatures I oggled were the pack beasts and mouth portals in the Bloom. These long fellas belong into Salvador Dali's pictures.

I tried replaying the game but after beating first city uninstalled game. I couldn't find any new content worth playing for. It certainly is not AoD in that sense, just too goddamn linear. You make one run with high int nano you've seen it all. Rolling anything else just means you will fail shitton of checks. Even PS:T was better in that regard, since you could easily roll something like STR/WIS (strong and wise philosopher with a club, why not), INT/CHA or DEX/INT and there was some content only for warriors or only for thieves. Class-talks with Dak'kon and Annah were worth it alone.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'd glady smashed some cool monster sprites with a talking +3 club and blast them with spells from JRPGs with color palette made of all tastes of raindbow instead of slow Numanuma whackamoling, pretty sure of it. Doesn't help that character models, monsters and effects in Numa are just boring. The only creatures I oggled were the pack beasts and mouth portals in the Bloom. These long fellas belong into Salvador Dali's pictures.

Combat is just weird. I can't put my finger on what exactly makes it so bad. On paper the systems look quite decent, and the importance of rare consumables should have made every fight unique. They've only had bunch of fights to design and polish to perfection. How can you not make interesting combat with those ingredients?

Moth

Learned
Was Ossiphagan ever officially announced as a planned location, similar to the Oasis? It seems to be hinted at in a few random mentions, and reappears in a main quest mere, but I can't help but wonder if one was meant to actually go there at one time.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'd glady smashed some cool monster sprites with a talking +3 club and blast them with spells from JRPGs with color palette made of all tastes of raindbow instead of slow Numanuma whackamoling, pretty sure of it. Doesn't help that character models, monsters and effects in Numa are just boring. The only creatures I oggled were the pack beasts and mouth portals in the Bloom. These long fellas belong into Salvador Dali's pictures.

Combat is just weird. I can't put my finger on what exactly makes it so bad. On paper the systems look quite decent, and the importance of rare consumables should have made every fight unique. They've only had bunch of fights to design and polish to perfection. How can you not make interesting combat with those ingredients?
the answer is obvious.

the job: make interesting combats
the result: not interesting combats
the logical inference: people are bad at their job

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Fucking skillchecks. I blame people liking New Vegas for this plague of binary outcome, no interaction, railroaded shit.

Ironically proper implementation of skill checks, a la New Vegas, would have made this game much more better. At least it would add more replayability to those stupid checks. I never failed one in three hours of gameplay, simply because it was so easy to overcome them.

Azarkon

Arcane
Minor example of good writing: When you ask the girl playing the flute in Cliff's Edge why the sad songs are cheaper than happy ones, she says "because there are more of them". Short and to the point, but powerful.

It doesn't have to be short. It doesn't have to be powerful. It doesn't even have to be to the point.

Most of the times, all you need for quality writing, is to have something valuable to say.

Consider the first paragraph of A Tale of Two Cities:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way — in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Not short, more witty than powerful, and he could've just gave the last fragment for the point. But no one would confuse it for an useless description of a smile, because there's substance there - an observation of the nature of how we perceive & experience present day events, which is as insightful today as it was in Dickens's time.

Hell, consider this fucking parody meme:

I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I'm fucking retarded but I don't care, I'm beautiful. I'm having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me "Apache" and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can't accept me you're a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding.

Again, not short, not powerful, and not particularly to the point. But again, beneath the joke, there is insight into why gender politics has become so stupid. It's funny because it's true.

Writing is just language. Language is just communication. The quality of a communication depends directly on the quality of the information being communicated. Sure, the efficiency of communication matters, but only in the negative sense - a bad writer might fail to communicate insight, but even the best writers can't communicate noise.

Most of the shit writing I see in games happens because the writers have shit to say and yet feel compelled to say it.

Moth

Learned
just got to the part where the changing god semi-reveals himself after miel avest

what the literal fuck

why

what the fuck are these dialogue options

why can't I express shock, anger, profound interest, amazement, or anything? Why is the Last Castoff less emotionally invested in his story than I am? Who actually thought these dialogue choices were a good idea?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Minor example of good writing: When you ask the girl playing the flute in Cliff's Edge why the sad songs are cheaper than happy ones, she says "because there are more of them". Short and to the point, but powerful.

The robots are awesome too.

Efe

Erudite
i know you guys are currently bashing combat and all but nobody else keeps getting dialogue text randomly acting like its stuttering?
sometimes window doesnt scroll down completely and u are stuck on show more button. nobody else has these?

Wolfe

Arbiter
i know you guys are currently bashing combat and all but nobody else keeps getting dialogue text randomly acting like its stuttering?
sometimes window doesnt scroll down completely and u are stuck on show more button. nobody else has these?

Happened to me as well on two occasions or so, reverts back to normal when you start the next dialogue.

duanth123

Arcane
http://steamcommunity.com/app/272270/discussions/0/133258593388244774/

Some of you have lost your fucking mind over this game.

J_C
5 hours ago
Another sign that transparent development is not always a good thing.
I have been reading a lot of feedback during the development about Torment, and the things I read made me realize that sharing the ups and downs of the development process is not always beneficial, and I recommend developers to stop doing that.

Whether we talk about Double Fine's Broken Age, Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity or Inxile's Torment, there were news which might seem a big problem to the gamers, but in reality, they are a common things in the world of game development. When there is a slight financial problem, or you have to cut some content from the game, or you have to change the game mechanics, this might send a bad message to some players, and result in some bad rep among them. Not realizing that these kind of things happen all the time, but usually we don't know about it, we just see the end product.

The same with Torment. Some people blame the devs for cutting content, like it wasn't an everyday occurrence when you make a game. Tell you what, your favourite game probably had cut content, and the devs cut it out because it was either not fitting to the game, or they couldn't flash it out as much as they wanted to.

In the end, although it seems nice when the devs share every detail with us, I would urge them to hold back some of the information, because there are people out there who will twist these information in a bad way.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Damn... how the fuck can you make combat worse than WL2? Might as well make it Real time with pause, FFS.

I had two crisis and they ended almost instantly when I used cyphers. The combat is so easy, and there is so little combat, that if you make it in something else, e.g., RT or RTwP, it would just increase the feeling of emptiness.

I can. They are too few in number, the AI is inexistent, they require no tactics, there is practically no depth in terms of character building, the itemization is bland and poor, etc. Combat system is an important feature. Either you do it right, or you don’t do it at all. The fact that you have less combat doesn’t hide these flaws.

That's corny as fuck.

It's also short. That virtue alone ensures that it's like Shakespeare or Hemingway level compared to the usual wiki-dumps that we are forced to read nowadays.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom