Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, I finished the game. Took me around 31 hours, which would make Sagus little less than half of the game. I don't think it's too short, not for a game like this.

My opinion about the game didn't change much from what I said before. The writing is of varying quality, the descriptions are little purple prose-heavy, dialogues themselves seem mostly alright. I found myself just glancing at the descriptions quite a bit, instead of reading the whole thing. Combat (or crises, whatever) is pretty shit. Luckily I counted only 3 mandatory encounters. Itemization seemed surprisingly decent, but mostly combat focused, so there weren't many opportunities of actually using a lot of your items. Character development is also pretty bad, the most interesting stuff probably being the passive abilities you get from the reflections in the labyrinth or the chiurgeon implants. Skill checks get really easy really fast. Two areas where the game really shines are the setting and quest design. Bloom is a really fucking interesting place. There is some weird shit for weird shit's sake (I blame backer NPCs, although the Codex one is great), but the Bloom is pretty contained. Took Erritis, Rhin and Matkina. Erritis was genuinely good, the other two were kinda alright too. But they could have done better on the companion front. I liked scan thoughts a lot, even though it was mostly flavour. I liked how you could ask a question again and get a different answer. There were lots of small things I liked, that added up to create a really nice experience. Failing a check and getting a better result than if I succeeded. An official calling me on my bullshit when wearing a fake badge if I spoke to her before without it. The woman you could trade secrets with. How some memories I thought irrelevant turned out not to be. Good stuff.

Main story is meh for the most part, I don't mind the linearity at all, but it's pretty predictable and not that exciting.
Only until near the end admitedly. I genuinely didn't see it coming that the Changing God was dead all along and the spectre is just a "copy" with his memories. I thought the end wasn't bad, like some complaints suggested, the choices made sense imo. I went through the whole game saying I was the Changing God and then I finally became him, in a way. I'm satisfied.
1FV8.jpg

:salute:

It's not PS:T. I mean not even close. I really wish this wasn't concieved and marketed as its spiritual successor, because they were never going to live up to it and it only serves to invite comparisons to an unatainable ideal and hurt the reception of what is otherwise a pretty decent game in its own right. But that's on their heads, obviously.

Solid 7.5/10 game imo (using an actual 10 point scale).

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Is Scan Thoughts sort of like Perception? Just gives you additional options in dialogues, basically? I went with Perception 2 right off the bat and it's pretty cool, gives me some extra flavor text, like I can tell if NPC is hiding something or lying.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It's not PS:T. I mean not even close. [...]

Solid 7.5/10 game [...]
What the fuck would PS:T be on that "actual 10 point scale" of yours? 24?

Is Scan Thoughts sort of like Perception? Just gives you additional options in dialogues, basically? I went with Perception 2 right off the bat and it's pretty cool, gives me some extra flavor text, like I can tell if NPC is hiding something or lying.
It gives you a lot more than perception does, and it's a lot clearer, but often the writing is shit (I get the feeling that most Scan Thought lines were written in after the dialogue was originally written. It ranges from great to cringe, even in conversations that are otherwise good).

And you sometimes get some extra options, too, yeah.

I'm running a Specialized+ Nano with Scan Thoughts right off the bat, so I get to see a lot. The knowledge skills (I forget the exact name, the ones that are Mechanical, Natural and Mystical) actually gives a lot of extra info too. Pleasantly surprised about that one. But again, mostly nanos end up getting most of them if they want (Tier 2 has an ability that gives you +1 for all three, unlocking most associated observations, afaik).

Projas

Patron
It's mostly just the flavour text. Sometimes it allows you to follow up on it in dialogue, but not very often, unlike Perception. Perception is really good.
I don't know the consensus on him, but I'm enjoying Inifere so far. He's pulling off a very unique vibe successfully. A little edgy? Yeah, sure. But the Children of the Endless Gate is a high quality edge, at the very least.
Yeah, I liked him. Probably my favourite castoff actually.

Projas

Patron
It's not PS:T. I mean not even close. [...]

Solid 7.5/10 game [...]
What the fuck would PS:T be on that "actual 10 point scale" of yours? 24?
Like 9.5 probably.

When I say not even close I mostly mean the quality of the writing, there are other things where T:ToN is much closer it, but this is the one thing that matters the most when comparing the two games imo.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
This is complete BS. The slaver actually has a completely different reason for wanting her. Did you even play the game?
The reason the slaver wants her isn't revealed until after you get Rhin to her, you fucking hemorrhoid.

:lol: Your complaint was that you cannot pay for Rhin's freedom to the slaver since "money was what the slaver really wanted", which is simply false. And once you find Rhin and she comes with you, you find out the slaver's reason for wanting her. Your complaint is simply stupid.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
There's no reasonable way to get rid of her other than being an awful human being,

Why? Giving her up for adoption seems reasonable.

Fuck you, kid, I'm going through the trouble of getting you a family. Stop being a bitch.

I like that you can sort of find out what happened to her, but again it would have been much much better if they let you discover that for yourself rather than spoon feed it to you.
Pretty much everything is spoonfed to you, really. I really have no feeling that I'm doing anything but following directions.

Fuck you, inXile and fuck you sea and fuck you BN and fuck your safe space for modern gamers. Eat dick and die.

Last edited:

Moth

Learned
Question regarding the ending of the Endless Horror quest below.

Does anyone know what happens if you don't have Inifere die in any form during his mere? I went for the redemption + ambush variation, but this seems to be one of the game's crowning moments of actual C&C done well. So what happens if you don't ambush the Sorrow and attempt to escape?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I give the game 6/10 because I could role-play my character as an egoistic coward who lies and manipulates to get ahead or escape combat (and failing that, hides) with no companions (after sagus cliffs). Even if that included spending 3 hours (a third of my playtime, I beat the game in 10 hours) on one single combat-oriented crisis.

for instance in the last battle I made a little platform for me to stand on until the NPC beat the last boss. lmao

+ some nice-looking environments
+ some good writing especially in the bloom
+ great level design in the bloom

- everything not in the bloom
- companions
- some stupid "game over" conditions. for instance letting the bad guy win at the very end -- why not give proper ending screen?
- most characters are super faggoty

concluding thought: what the hell did they spend 4 years on

constructive criticism: please have george ziets be sole lead designer on next title, he really saved this game

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I sang "crisis, crisis! you can't get away!" every time a crisis started

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
PSA: Never ever spend more than a single point in Perception, especially with how limited skillups are in the game.

You can get an implant for 110 Shins that gives you +1 Perception. But it doesn't give you a bonus if you already have two training levels of Perception. You can literally go straight to the surgeon and get the implant as soon as you're in Circus Minor and have 110 Shins. There's tons of shins in the game, but very few tiers.
Just got buttfucked by this.

:lol: Triggered much?
Not triggered enough to post in an unrelated thread about how someone is passive-aggressively rating my poor wittle posts. :smug:

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Meeting Matkina and the first Mere were very well done. Probably my favorite part of the game so far, aside from confronting the Adversary. The death cult is cool too, but I wish more were done with them.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
This is complete BS. The slaver actually has a completely different reason for wanting her. Did you even play the game?
The reason the slaver wants her isn't revealed until after you get Rhin to her, you fucking hemorrhoid.

:lol: Your complaint was that you cannot pay for Rhin's freedom to the slaver since "money was what the slaver really wanted", which is simply false. And once you find Rhin and she comes with you, you find out the slaver's reason for wanting her. Your complaint is simply stupid.
Read the post, you muppet. If you still can't figure it out, it just goes to show that you haven't actually played the game. The slavers motivations are completely irrelevant to what I was talking about at that point.
Meeting Matkina and the first Mere were very well done. Probably my favorite part of the game so far, aside from confronting the Adversary. The death cult is cool too, but I wish more were done with them.
Yeah, it's a shame that they cut out all the factions, all the foci, a second major city and.. uhm.. all the other things I can't think of right now. But the fact that they buttfucked factions is probably the biggest issue. Could've really added something to the game.

Moth

Learned
Were factions in the Beta, in some form or another? My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I recall that you could get a whole lot more chummier with the Dendra O'Hur, Order of Truth, and Cult of the Changing God. But then again, I may be imagining it.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I come from Argentina and I am very white.

Argentinians always need to prove they are white

This is what cucks actually believe. :lol: The "islamic golden age" is a complete and utter sham.

ISIS's behaviour is meant to be a revival of the early Islamic Golden Age (with all of the bad parts taken out). The Caliphates and other great Islamic empires such as the Ayyubids, the Seljuks, etc, provide constant inspiration for modern political movements. The title of your video; "We have always been scared" is a perfect example of how people always assume their ancestors were the same as them.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Read the post, you muppet. If you still can't figure it out, it just goes to show that you haven't actually played the game. The slavers motivations are completely irrelevant to what I was talking about at that point.

Of course, except the slavers motivations are exactly what you were talking about. You whined that the slavers "only wanted money" and that you couldn't pay them for Rhin:

I know that by not handing Rhin over, I'm depriving three thugs and their families food. Why the fuck can't I just pay them off when it's hinted at me repeatedly that shins are all they need?

Which is of course complete BS.

:lol: Triggered much?
Not triggered enough to post in an unrelated thread about how someone is passive-aggressively rating my poor wittle posts. :smug:

Spamming ratings in unrelated threads clearly shows your level of triggering. So sorry that your edgelord KKK harvesting didn't play out as planned.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
ISIS's behaviour is meant to be a revival of the early Islamic Golden Age (with all of the bad parts taken out). The Caliphates and other great Islamic empires such as the Ayyubids, the Seljuks, etc, provide constant inspiration for modern political movements. The title of your video; "We have always been scared" is a perfect example of how people always assume their ancestors were the same as them.
What? Ban this retard. I know this is the 'Dex and all, but this is way too much.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
What? Ban this retard. I know this is the 'Dex and all, but this is way too much.

If ISIS instead tried to base itself on Ancient Greece, it would be much less successful. I am not supporting ISIS, but merely explaining the rationale behind why people are joining ISIS: they want to make the Muslim world great again. There are actually a lot of parallels between ISIS and Trump if you look in the right places.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Meh. Despite the attempts to appeal to a larger audience, this is still a pretty niche game. I don't think timing really has that much to do with it.

It's both. Fargo doesn't know what he is doing. Releasing the damn game near Zelda? Poor judgment.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Still, for all the complaints I get distinct PS:T vibe from this game. Not PS:T the impeccable RPG diamond, but rather the PS:T as it really was - a deeply flawed game that's carried solely by the sheer strength of the setting and art. Beause while T:TTON's art and writing are uneven, when they're good, they're really fucking good.

What planet do you currently live on, and what is the cost of medical marijuana?

Planet? I'm a being of galactic proportions, only temporarily stuck on the Codex, because I had to take my interdimensional spaceship to the shop. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. NPCs running around with no heads. Attack trolls closing in on Josh Saywer. All those moments will be lost, like my fist in your anus.

Seriously though, a lot of it is pretty fucking cool. The psionic bartender and his band of misfits in that tavern was awesome. The robots were fun. That one story were dude was searching for his sweetheart, and it turned out she's an ancient he digged out in a ditch and reanimated was hilarious. I find the side quests much more interesting than main plot, which I didn't really start yet.
you should read collections of short stories. i suggest any of the penguin classics HP Lovecraft series, any jack london compendium, or anything from centipede press that sounds interesting to you.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
So do I have to learn tide affinities with a teacher in order to use it on a dialogue? What a shitty idea.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Minor example of good writing: When you ask the girl playing the flute in Cliff's Edge why the sad songs are cheaper than happy ones, she says "because there are more of them". Short and to the point, but powerful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom