Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

20 hours logged and I only have the Matkina quest to do. Seems about right. Any standout quests?

Yeah, I'd say so. The Fifth Eye plotline was great and genuinely fun, collecting the companions felt pretty natural for the most part as well. The quest for the sculptor interesting because of how it ties in with the Daughter quest. The murder mystery you get introduced to as part of the Matkina quest is extremely straight forward, and while I think it could have been made more interesting to the player, it a refreshing reading competency test as opposed to an MMO style evidence hunt. The unmarked explorations are incredibly fun as well, particularly finding shit for the silver alien dudes. The rewards that come from that are great as well.

And I despise combat in this game with a passion, but AI containment dungeon quest you get from the Order of Truth is fun as well.

Sagus Cliff's main highlights were the non-quest explorations for me, but I think it was handled well. It's a good introduction.

And it would have aided greatly to the game's pacing, as it is followed by a (comparatively) more linear and quest oriented zone, IF the Oasis hadn't been cut. If the Oasis would have remained in the game, I have a feeling that Sagus would be greatly appreciated in the long run. But considering that it was part of the cut content, I feel like the lengthy time spent in Sagus, followed by comparatively more linear areas, has added to the impression that the ending is rushed.

The game's plot is now

(opening)------(Sagus Cliffs)----------(Valley)------------(Bloom)----------------(Ending)
linear zone---> non-linear zone ---> linear zone ---> non-linear zone --> linear zone -->

Which feels sloppy. Another, full-hub city would have made it evenly linear and nonlinear.

Sorry, a bit an analytic rant that has nothing to do with your question got thrown in there for good measure.

Wow. I remember that month ago Sea was lying on the forum saying that parts of Oasis are still in the game.

Parabalus

Arcane
There's no reasonable way to get rid of her other than being an awful human being, even though there's plenty of potential options. So you're basically emotionally manipulated into keeping her around, and she's rather useless for three (out of four) tiers. It's railroading of the worst sort, and an engineered situation for the purpose of eliciting an emotional response.

I'm sure the character would fit in a novelization, but as written, with the situation as presented, in a roleplaying game? Fucking stupid. Beyond fucking stupid on so many and uninteresting levels.

You can reunite her with her family. Also you can't count, she becomes op at tier 3, so that's 2/4 you silly. She isn't useless even at tier 1, if you debuff enemies she gets 100% to hit dealing 4-6 less damage than Matkina with random weapons, Numenara is funny that way, which you should know since you spent 20 posts here preaching about it and how it was gutted from PnP.

Wow. I remember that month ago Sea was lying on the forum saying that parts of Oasis are still in the game.

You spend 3 minutes at a "Oasis Fathom" in the endgame sequence :M.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
There's no reasonable way to get rid of her other than being an awful human being, even though there's plenty of potential options. So you're basically emotionally manipulated into keeping her around,

If I were you I wouldn't admit in public that you're being emotionally manipulated by little computer people. Someone might get the wrong idea.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
There's no reasonable way to get rid of her other than being an awful human being, even though there's plenty of potential options. So you're basically emotionally manipulated into keeping her around,

If I were you I wouldn't admit in public that you're being emotionally manipulated by little computer people. Someone might get the wrong idea.
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought this was intended to be a roleplaying game, and that the purpose of the writing was to illicit an emotional response. This is quite common in writing, but I guess you don't read books, either. Wouldn't want to be emotionally manipulated by paper with little printed symbols on them, now would you?

Moth

Learned
HOLY SHIT! There's party banter in the game? I haven't found any. WTF

It's enviromental like Pillars of Eternity, and seems to happen in accordance with randomly triggered invisible timers. There are also seemingly random occasions where party members initiate dialogue with you. In fact, I haven't seen the "x wants to talk to you" prompt since the Tybir quest. Ever since then, party members have been approaching me first.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
No major Youtube let's players haven't started Torment. Everybody is playing Horizon zero dawn and Zelda instead.
I think this was not very good time to release T:TON.

Ivan

Arcane
Yeah! The only instance I saw the "party member wishes to speak with you" icon, was upon exiting the first area where Aligern wants to talk to you.

Moth

Learned
Oh, and another tip regarding banter: it seems to happen more when entering a new zone. But I've also seen it happen when just standing still/idling/or even running about.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I thought this was intended to be a roleplaying game, and that the purpose of the writing was to illicit an emotional response.

So is the game "fucking stupid" and "railroading of the worst kind", or did you just get your emotional response from it? Should you be happy or sad that it affected you so?

:troll:

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No major Youtube let's players haven't started Torment. Everybody is playing Horizon zero dawn and Zelda instead.
Meh. Despite the attempts to appeal to a larger audience, this is still a pretty niche game. I don't think timing really has that much to do with it.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Meh. Despite the attempts to appeal to a larger audience, this is still a pretty niche game. I don't think timing really has that much to do with it.

Timing definitely doesn't help, but yeah, it would never drive massive sales even if it was only game released this month.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Negative Steam reviews are mostly connected with crisis gameplay. What can it be done to improve it?
Also, are there less amount of encounters in the game than you have expected or more?

Last edited:

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
White cis able bodied male patriarchy manifests itself whenever and wherever it can to practice its institutional power.

Moth

Learned
I don't know the consensus on him, but I'm enjoying Inifere so far. He's pulling off a very unique vibe successfully. A little edgy? Yeah, sure. But the Children of the Endless Gate is a high quality edge, at the very least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom