Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Bonerbill

Augur
Probably running out of ideas and just want as many mini-games as possible, since fags love mini-games. I don't see the point of fishing or even hunting sea monsters.

Why shouldn't a nigga be able to fish if he's stuck travelling on a boat from the majority of the game?

ushas

Savant
This already happened in PoE.. sometimes, to a degree. Like the Ogre hireling. Or the faction-specific hirelings.

I expect the devs will greatly expand on this in PoE 2 though.

Yeah the Ogre hireling was a nice touch. Hopefully there will be different kind of sailors (un)willing to join depending on various factors, a faction association at least. Btw. Maia Rua is a captain so she better help us with the crew.

Kudos to sea shanties.
So what would they sing when things are not well? (something not so subtle like this ship's going down?)

Additionaly there can be a few thematic songs, eg. about captain, sea monsters, Huana queen, Fulvano, fabulous treasure (would work as a hint too). And the text changes or strophes are added depending on our deeds...

If one of the literate crew members is writing songs into a diary, will the singing fall under double the amount of V.O. budget?
:philosoraptor:

Sentinel

Arcane
Probably running out of ideas and just want as many mini-games as possible, since fags love mini-games. I don't see the point of fishing or even hunting sea monsters.

Why shouldn't a nigga be able to fish if he's stuck travelling on a boat from the majority of the game?
Because "travelling" on the boat will most likely be nothing but a zoom out to a hand-painted world map while the boat icon moves to your selected location, disguising the loading screen occurring in the background.
Even if you can actually be on the ship and move around in it while you're travelling, I doubt there's gonna be a point to fishing other than it being food with some stats. However, it'd be cool if fishing some rare stuff would unlock conversations with more bro-tier companions (like Edér) and let us talk to them about fishing and/or the sea creatures most often found in the area they hail from. Hell, even talking to them just about what they think lies in unexplored seas could be cool if it isn't 500 pages of *unusually long description of an irrelevant action this NPC is taking that doesn't add anything to the conversation*.

ushas

Savant
What makes you think it will be a mini-game? I thought it can pretty much just be a passive thing going on in the background while sailing (increasing the number of various fish in the stash, with a probability something else popping up), while it also triggers a few thematic scripted interactions here and there.

Sentinel

Arcane
What makes you think it will be a mini-game? I thought it can pretty much just be a passive thing going on in the background while sailing (increasing the number of various fish in the stash, with a probability something else popping up), while it also triggers a few thematic scripted interactions here and there.
Because
1) It's a stretch goal;
2) Fishing is not one of the core features of a role-playing game;
3) They most likely won't spend a lot of time on the fishing "system" when compared to the other game systems more central to the style of game.

Does anyone know if they're planning on doing any more streams? Kinda doubt it, but I suddenly got two questions that popped up in my mind this afternoon.

ushas

Savant
Arik said that they would like to do more Q&A sessions and I think also Feargus in the fig comments confirmed something like that.

Edit: the citation:
Chnum: Will there be any more q&a live streams during the development of Pillars 2 or maybe you'll be too busy to do them?
Feargus: We will absolutely do them. I'll poke Mikey to make sure we get a schedule put together.

Quillon

Arcane
Fishing will be "scripted interaction" minigame.

ed:

As they say, there are a million fish in the sea. And with your new boat, why not drop a hook and see what comes up at the end of the line? In Deadfire, fish will provide you with different rest bonuses and give you more recipes to cook up to help you on your adventures. Fishing will trigger scripted interactions on your boat where you can choose various baits you have collected and see what fish you can catch. Different areas on the world map will have different fish below the surface. You can be an occasional line-dropper or an expert fisherman. And who knows, maybe you'll hook some rare gear or run into sea monsters who have only been spoken of in tales...

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=281#updates

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fusers%2Fprofile_images%2Fd4fa69cd78b5e5f5f6975cf35dce6fc8e9787f11%2Foriginal.png%3F1439917264

Feargus
DEVELOPER

I'll agree to some pretty wacky Stretch Goals, but to get the game out earlier would be scary. Not sure if you read the Mythical Man-Month, but the great way the authors explained it in there is that you can't have nine women give birth to a baby in one-month. While more money would, in theory, help get the game done faster, the realities of game development is that throwing more bodies at a problem often means a game takes even longer to make.
Mar 3, 2017 | 12:44 AM

Great analogy :)

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fusers%2Fprofile_images%2Fd4fa69cd78b5e5f5f6975cf35dce6fc8e9787f11%2Foriginal.png%3F1439917264

Feargus
DEVELOPER

I'll agree to some pretty wacky Stretch Goals, but to get the game out earlier would be scary. Not sure if you read the Mythical Man-Month, but the great way the authors explained it in there is that you can't have nine women give birth to a baby in one-month. While more money would, in theory, help get the game done faster, the realities of game development is that throwing more bodies at a problem often means a game takes even longer to make.

It's a good, if too-often-referenced, book. :)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Feargus
DEVELOPER

The same principle - that more money/bigger teams doesn't lead a faster delivery - applies to pretty much any software development or a high-qualifications manufacturing process.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Who the heck are these LARPy weirdos who get that attached to pieces of equipment?

I mean I can understand caring about how your character looks like but changing that up periodically is part of the fun too. Just ask any woman.

Parabalus

Arcane

IMO that would be the best solution, make it so you can only enchant quality once. That way if you really like something you can reuse it endgame, but you stil lhave to switch to something else for the majority of the game.

Who the heck are these LARPy weirdos who get that attached to pieces of equipment?

I mean I can understand caring about how your character looks like but changing that up periodically is part of the fun too. Just ask any woman.

Well, in PoE you can get the "best" weapon of your type before you hit lvl 5-6, then you just keep using it and slapping a superb or legendary on it. Stuff like Rimecutter/Persistence/Resolution/Tidefall/Borresaine. I actually liked that myself, but I wouldn't mind the above mentioned.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Being able to find and keep a weapon that grew with you was one of the better parts of the original Pillars, and also more enjoyable than swapping weapons every 5 minutes becuase the new one has an extra +1 attack like in diablo style games. Plus, let's face it, with so many weapon types and non-linear design it's already a pain in the ass to stagger them in such a way that nobody is favored or screwed over by the weapon they like to use.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I much prefer the enchanting approach JES has suggested for POE2. If you like your item that you bought in a store from hour 3 because it completes you as a human being, then feel free to keep using it... but there are going to be tradeoffs, like it not being as powerful as the item you get 30 hours in from the kraken's lair. Frankly, no amount of random gems, herbs, and fire-side hocus pocus should change that.

Prime Junta

Dunno but it's not just that. In P1 it's possible to do some very effective yet off-beat builds around specific item properties. I discovered one myself: the Darcozzi Commander paladin, built around the St. Garam's Spark pistol. It's the only ranged Marking Ruffian-group weapon in the game. There are no substitutes. So with tiered loot, you'd either be using a suboptimal weapon towards the endgame, or you'd have to put a Marking Ruffian-group weapon in every tier, or you'd have to re-spec when you want to switch to, say, that one marking arquebus you can get late in the game. None of these are really all that good as substitutes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom