Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic: The Gathering: Duels: Origins

Gerrard

Arcane
5ESddqZ.png

Nice game.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, that's probably better than the constant disconnects, quests not resetting and all the crap currently going on. They really fucked this up.

But oh well, at least I got 3 mythics already. :kingcomrade:

J1M

Arcane
Between this and Hex, Blizzard must be feeling pretty smug about Hearthstone.

Andhaira

Arcane
Sooo... who's still playing?

I gave it a good shot, including a couple games in player vs player mode. I did not have a lot of connection issues, so that's not why I stopped. Thing is the game turns are way too long, and the interface is butt ugly.

It's weird but the old Microprose Game actually had better and more fun gameplay; I seem to recall it had better art too, though that was prob. because the cards were smaller on screen. (and maybe my nostalgia)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well.... it's been 2 years, finally decided to play this. Seems you need to grind like crazy, but you do get a lot of gold in the beginning at least (and some more cards). Finally used some gold to go on a story thing, got the UNKNOWN ERROR during one of those tutorial pop-ups and I failed to do the tutorial correctly. :M

spectre

Arcane
The grind is about 400 hours to get every card, and there's quite a lot of them at the moment, even though not all paper cards were implemented.
It works well as a game you fire up for an hour or three, play a few games, do the daily quests, buy a booster or two, call it a day.
Two Headed Giant works quite ok with a friend (random people are a nono), I actually played it the other day and there weren't any connection issues for a change.
It also lets you grind in a bit more convenient fashion.

Also, you can't really clock these 400 hours in one go, cause you're limited to earning 300 shekels from victories per day.

However, the game is terribly underdeveloped. The tutorials haven't been working properly since forever (dunno, I picked it up a year ago and they were still fucked in a way you describe),
not all cards are implemented, simply because it would probably take too much work.

The AI got some rework, and has a few tricks up its sleeve like noticing man-lands or bounding own creatures back to hand to save them. It's still clueless when it comes to using vehicles though and makes dubious decisions with some cards
(e.g. when choosing what to save for cataclysmic gearhulk).

Biggest downer for me is that one a new expansion is released, all older AI decks are shelved and you're stuck with it playing the same shit from the most recent expansion over and over again.
Anyways, the game will probably get the axe once WotC releases the newly announced Magic Next, so I'm not sure if I'd recommend it. I had my share of fun with it (some parts of the Story Mode are quite well done),
but I'm honestly only sticking around to get the last steam achievement for completion's sake.

spectre

Arcane
You mean the heartstone ripoff? Dunno mang, I kinda can't get over the WoW-aping art style.

spectre

Arcane
I looked into Eternal a bit, it's a good step up from Hearthstone, and the possibility to play draft brings some memories from Shandalar.
I am also liking the fact that instead of using Planeswalkers it focuses on buffing the player avatar, that's something I'd wish MtG would do instead.

Sadly, the art style looks like a deal breaker for me. I realize you don't really pay attention to the artwork after some time, but damn just looking at spoilers made me cringe.

Edit: It's a shame they kept the MtG mana system with little to no changes. It would be a game changer if they adopted something like in Call of Cthulhu where each card can be used to build your resources.

I was also quite baffled that the game actually keeps track of cards when they leave the board, so if it comes back, it remembers all the conditions applied to this. That'll take some time to get used to.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Where is that fake news button when you need it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom