Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Anyone else annoyed by how finding Rhin plays out?

Basically, when you initially find Rhin, three thugs working for the slavers that are looking for her walks up to you. Even if you've been hired by the slavers and tell them this, you're faced with the situation of having to persuade/intimidate/deceive them, or fight.

If you have Sense Thoughts (or whatever it's called), you know for a fact that they are doing this reluctantly. This is reinforced even harder by the fact that if you succeed on the Persuasion test, claiming that slavery is evil (which many of us might be reluctant to pick as an option, seeing as how this is a post-apocalyptic medieval science-fantasy setting in which that is by far not a given moral assumption by the protagonist, or anyone in the fucking universe, really - you might also want to avoid it since you fear that you'll get Gold or Indigo Tide, despite intentions) you again Sense Thoughts, where the key thug thinks to himself that he cannot face his children if he does this.

All of this is annoying not just because I may not want to be opposed to slavery on moral grounds or risk those moral grounds affecting my tides, but because I'm hauling around over 600 shins. I know that this guy is only doing this to keep his family fed, I know that this guy isn't a bad person, and I know that by not handing Rhin over, I'm depriving three thugs and their families food. Why the fuck can't I just pay them off when it's hinted at me repeatedly that shins are all they need?
Sure, this might sound oddly specific, but if you don't intend to give me the possibility to do something, don't drop hints left, right and center that that thing you can't do would be the right thing to do. If I hadn't had Scan Thoughts, this encounter would've been fine (and also less interesting).

There are more problems in the game than I can keep a count of. However, at the ending, I felt the biggest problem is the game mechanics itself. The TIDES of Numenera have zero real consequence to the story beyond being an abstract device that only appears in the background, despite being the plot driver.
The idea was that there was going to be all these things tied to it, from the foci to the factions and interactions and so on and so forth. Basically alignment-by-any-other-name, a bit like how alignment is central to the Planescape setting (although not necessarily a major mechanic in Torment). They absolutely dropped the ball on that one, on account of all the things cut.

The Tides feel like an arbitrary abstraction of morality (of intent, no less, rather than action or consequence), that is in no way established or conveyed to the player (I guess they are unable to actually tell a story without lore-dumping on you). You're left wondering why you would even care about the Tides at all, or why they exist as a mechanic at all. The idea could've been good, I have no doubt, but the execution is so sub-par, especially for something that is supposed to be so central to the themes and the plot (insofar the game has one beyond what is spoiled by promotional material) that it's hard to take serious.

I hate alignments, because they're so arbitrary, but from a normal modern west-european perspective, the ideas of "Lawful", "Evil", "Chaotic" and "Good" are actually better than these Tides, and as fundamental cosmic forces in the Planescape setting, it works, despite how ridiculous the idea is on a more fundamental level (the issue always was adding the Good vs. Evil axis to the more well-established (at the time) axis of Order vs. Chaos, however). Interestingly, I think that in a Planescape-esque setting, the idea of Tides, rather than moral alignments could be a pretty good one, and would allow you to maintain the whole faith-shapes-the-universe and dangerous-extremes-etc without "Good" and "Evil" in the mix, although I would keep the idea of Chaos vs. Order around.

But anyway, in Tides of Numenera, it just falls flat. Which is a downright shame and pity, because I'm convinced the idea could actually work.

Probably only 10-20% of the world's population is "white", whatever that means. Sure, you say, there are 800 million Europeans, but a Spanish person probably wouldn't qualify as white unless you were told they were Spanish beforehand.

:what:

We're pretty damn white, dude.

Only germans are white you niggers
Not anymore now that Kebabs and Arabs are there :P
Reconquista. We've been here before, and this time we can weed them out with the power of science! Genetic screening and fusion ovens, activate!

There was also a Codexer NPC in Valley of Dead Heroes. Talked about "Mask of Prosper" IIRC.

Honestly I find the criticisms of the writing here all over the place. Some people claim they hate the "encyclopedic" writing, some people hate that they start throwing numenera setting specific terms at you right from the start without explanation. It's hard to please all of you.

On my part I will say that all the background lore made me find the setting memorable and interesting, something PoE and Tyranny failed to do. I never followed the whole developmental cycle or read the Numenera p&p books, but the game makes me want to find out more, just as playing PST made me want to find out more about Planescape.

I don't know, it depends on how you read I guess. I agree that the screenshot above is just purple prose, but I read/skim very quickly and don't really spend a lot of time on passages like that.
I've said it before and I can say it again, I can levy shit on Numenera/Cypher System and Tides of Numenera all day, but as far as settings go, there's little wrong with it. It's got an over-reliance on "oh look how weird!" which can become way, way too much, but so far, I think that how Tides of Numenera handles it have been good. It all comes across as fucking weird, but it's still fundamentally grounded in the daily lives of the characters living within the universe.

The nature of the locales do not come off as "too weird" - at least not to me. I know some people disagree, obviously. I also haven't finished the game yet (I keep having other shit to do, and I keep reloading to try shit out or because things don't play out in an expected manner (again, I cannot stress how much I loved the Disposition system in Pillars of Eternity, not for it's own sake, but because of how it interacted with dialogues) so this might go out the window later. I absolutely agree that Numenera is a pretty strong setting, especially compared to Pillars of Eternity. For all the shit and incompetence inXile has displayed, they should have a big-ass kudos for daring to put this shit in Numenera, whereas Obsidian went with a very vanilla setting in PoE expressly as to not confuse people, wanting instantly familiar and relateable contexts (which in turn highlighted the things that deviated from the norm.. which weren't many).

I think that Tyranny had a very strong setting, however, completely sabotaged by social justice-warrioring and a completely mediocre game hamstrung by massive narrative issues. Tyranny was more wasted potential than anything I've experienced in recent years. Yes, even worse than this.

As for ToN, I find the writing to vary between "pretty good" to "fucking awful", without any degree of consistency. The lore-dumps are awful and the storytelling pacing is off, but this is partly because of the concentrated inXile/Techland effort to spoil much of everything, combined with the aforementioned lore-dumps. The reason you're seeing people hate different issues are not because it's hard to please everyone, but because these are different issues at different times. As someone that aspires to be an insufferable know-it-all, even I must confess that there were times where the purple prose became all too much and started becoming annoying. The setting-specific terms are not as bad, because you tend to know that they're nonsense. The issue with those is that the actual meaning of the words are never explained to you. Even the common "berk" was explained to you in Torment, although not immediately.

Had the game not been filled with both, or if the setting-specific terms would at least be covered, it wouldn't be an issue, but sometimes you're left wondering whether something even is a real word or not, which combined with the fact that words aren't explained to the player or conveyed in a way so that the meaning could be immediately inferred, it becomes taxing and frustrating even to an avid reader.

Last edited:

kain30

Cipher
I have a problem. I saved the game, but when i try to load it There isn´t any game saved. Anybody whin the same problem here?

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Reconquista. We've been here before, and this time we can weed them out with the power of science! Genetic screening and fusion ovens, activate!

OK, prepare to be triggered, Codex:

The Reconquista was a cultural and demographic disaster. Spain was forever doomed to be a backwater due to it.

No, seriously, the Islamic side was more advanced technologically and in general a better place to live.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Luckmann

Tides as morality translating into actual power is totally left unmotivated. Which makes me puzzled to as what its role is. This is a science fiction fantasy world dammit. In PST it was a MAGICAL world which made alignment as a source of power or least something manifested in reality look authentic.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Reconquista was a cultural and demographic disaster. Spain was forever doomed to be a backwater due to it.

No, seriously, the Islamic side was more advanced technologically and in general a better place to live.
Who the fuck are you and how do you function without a brain?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

OK, prepare to be triggered, Codex:

This is what cucks actually believe. :lol: The "islamic golden age" is a complete and utter sham.
Luckmann

Tides as morality translating into actual power is totally left unmotivated. Which makes me puzzled to as what its role is. This is a science fiction fantasy world dammit. In PST it was a MAGICAL world which made alignment as a source of power or least something manifested in reality look authentic.
I agree completely. It's complete bullshit. It's a core narrative component of the game and the setting as presented (not Numenera as a whole, but the setting of this game in which it all plays out), but it's just.. an abortion. It's unfinished, incomplete. Left hanging. Fucking meaningless. When I think about it, I think this issue really pins down just how much of the core of the game was scaled back, far beyond any backer promises. It's like they were operating on a skeleton budged below the 900k they originally needed, and backer promises were attempted to be fulfilled on principle, more than anything else, and they still failed with that too.

The game is fucking titled Tides of Numenera, but...

f200390bbf4769279a0161f031ef3fac76a508d52ba12cbf8b698da24745eca0.jpg

I have a problem. I saved the game, but when i try to load it There isn´t any game saved. Anybody whin the same problem here?
I have the vague collection that some people had this issue way back when Pillars of Eternity launched. You might want to check that out. Also, make sure that you're running it as administrator and that you have access to /Appdata/, because for some asinine fucking reason, developers have decided that shitting up random document folders under /User/ wasn't bad enough, so now they're hiding saves and files in /Appdata/ and putting settings into the windows registry instead of in accessible .ini-files.

Because fuck the consumer and/or police I guess.

Last edited:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Go to save folder (<your username>\AppData\LocalLow\InXile Entertainment\Torment\Saves) and delete all saves from early access version, you can tell them apart from new saves by looking at created date.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I can say for certain that the setting of Numanuma is better than PoE's. Congratulations. How they use that setting, however, will be determined after I play it more seriously. I bee-lined to Erritis as soon as I found out where he is, his character is 10 times more interesting if you have scan thoughts, very interesting use of interactivity. Your choices allow you to dig deeper or find out stuff about characters you wouldn't otherwise. This can be exploited to great effect.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
But, overall the game fails to deliver an experience equal to the setting. The wonders of scientific marvels from distant future of the ninth world all appear banal due to the mediocre imagination of the people involved in writing this game. Time travel, mind control, reality manipulation etc. end up taking a very boring part in the game (e.g. the probability engine quest). This was a major disappointment. The original Torment exploited its setting extremely very well. TTON failed here the hardest. Where it mattered the most.

:bravo:

You hit the motherload. This was the epidemic of lack of imagination that Roxor pointed out in his editorial. PoE and SR had the same problem.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Sweet Jesus, one thing I didn't expect to see on the Codex is to read people bitch how something isn't explained right in their faces or that some key NPC was hard to find. Perhaps you'd like a quest compass, some exclamation marks on top of NPC heads, and "press X to awesome" popups while you're playing with your controller?

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sweet Jesus, one thing I didn't expect to see on the Codex is to read people bitch how something isn't explained right in their faces or that some key NPC was hard to find. Perhaps you'd like a quest compass, some exclamation marks on top of NPC heads, and "press X to awesome" popups while you're playing with your controller?

Yup, those Kickstarter threads can get quite bizarre sometimes.
Also notice how people like Lurker King, who normally would qualifiy for a "dumbest poster on the 'Dex award" spout ther inane shit pretty much unchallenged and are even encouraged.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

This is why we can't have good writing.

Hey InXile! Let me give you the formula of success. Hire Avellone as the only writer. Give him one year or more to write everything, and let him run wild with his imagination, design quests, etc. No background lore should be dissociated from the quests and gameplay. Make the level designers his bitch. There. You have a new storyfag classic.

You are welcome.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Hey InXile! Let me give you the formula of success. Hire Avellone as the only writer. Give him one year or more to write everything, and let him run wild with his imagination, design quests, etc. No background lore should be dissociated from the quests and gameplay. Make the level designers his bitch. There. You have a new storyfag classic.

You are welcome.

They are painfully aware that Chris can do that, you can be sure of that. The problem is they think they can be writers as well (in this day and age everyone is speciul and can do everything) and muscle him out to prove themselves, but all they manage to do is shit the bed, because surprise, surprise, writing isn't easy. None of the Kickstarted RPGs will be hailed as narrative classics and that's because devs shoot themselves in the foot by keeping MCA on a leash. Hubris is the key word. You don't even have the excuse of sale figures anymore, Torment is a pure attempt at storyfaggotry in the vein of PS:T.

Last edited:
Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yes, because Avellone sure strikes me as a guy who's interested in doing something like PS:T all on his own again.
You guys can put you conspiracy theories on how "the man" is keeping Avellone down to rest, MCA hasn't got the fire in him anymore to do anything worthwile.

All he's been doing is some minor wiriting here and there and it seems pretty much volountary. Hell, I thought he wrote Durance and than it turned out it out the acutal dialogue was Fenstermakers baby for the most part.

If you read his interviews, MCA isn't even interested in writing anymore. I think he's highly ciritical of his previous work and seams bent to do more systematic, emergent game design instead.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
but a Spanish person probably wouldn't qualify as white unless you were told they were Spanish beforehand.

I think you haven't traveled much to say that, Spaniards are not like south-americans in regards to appearance, and hell, some people from south america like the Argentinians can be more white than a German.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Finding Rhin Spoilers (open)
Basically, when you initially find Rhin, three thugs working for the slavers that are looking for her walks up to you. Even if you've been hired by the slavers and tell them this, you're faced with the situation of having to persuade/intimidate/deceive them, or fight.

If you have Sense Thoughts (or whatever it's called), you know for a fact that they are doing this reluctantly. This is reinforced even harder by the fact that if you succeed on the Persuasion test, claiming that slavery is evil (which many of us might be reluctant to pick as an option, seeing as how this is a post-apocalyptic medieval science-fantasy setting in which that is by far not a given moral assumption by the protagonist, or anyone in the fucking universe, really - you might also want to avoid it since you fear that you'll get Gold or Indigo Tide, despite intentions) you again Sense Thoughts, where the key thug thinks to himself that he cannot face his children if he does this.
All of this is annoying not just because I may not want to be opposed to slavery on moral grounds or risk those moral grounds affecting my tides, but because I'm hauling around over 600 shins. I know that this guy is only doing this to keep his family fed, I know that this guy isn't a bad person, and I know that by not handing Rhin over, I'm depriving three thugs and their families food. Why the fuck can't I just pay them off when it's hinted at me repeatedly that shins are all they need? Sure, this might sound oddly specific, but if you don't intend to give me the possibility to do something, don't drop hints left, right and center that that thing you can't do would be the right thing to do. If I hadn't had Scan Thoughts, this encounter would've been fine (and also less interesting).

This is complete BS. The slaver actually has a completely different reason for wanting her. Did you even play the game?

The setting-specific terms are not as bad, because you tend to know that they're nonsense. The issue with those is that the actual meaning of the words are never explained to you. Even the common "berk" was explained to you in Torment, although not immediately.

Leave the Tutorial on, if you want things to be explained to you. Other things you can find out on your own (gasp!) when talking to the numenera scholar in the tavern, for example. Again, did you even play the game?

As someone who writes pages-long dissertations on what is wrong with this game, you should at least try to get your basic facts straight.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
They are painfully aware that Chris can do that, you can be sure of that. The problem is they think they can be writers as well (in this day and age everyone is speciul and can do everything) and muscle him out to prove themselves, but all they manage to do is shit the bed, because surprise, surprise, writing isn't easy. None of the Kickstarted RPGs will be hailed as narrative classics and that's because devs shoot themselves in the foot by keeping MCA on a leash. Hubris is the key word. You don't even have the excuse of sale figures anymore, Torment is a pure attempt at storyfaggotry in the vein of PS:T.
They even had BN writing for torment... Such are things at inxile.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected

Finding Rhin Spoilers (open)

All of this is annoying not just because I may not want to be opposed to slavery on moral grounds or risk those moral grounds affecting my tides, but because I'm hauling around over 600 shins. I know that this guy is only doing this to keep his family fed, I know that this guy isn't a bad person, and I know that by not handing Rhin over, I'm depriving three thugs and their families food. Why the fuck can't I just pay them off when it's hinted at me repeatedly that shins are all they need? Sure, this might sound oddly specific, but if you don't intend to give me the possibility to do something, don't drop hints left, right and center that that thing you can't do would be the right thing to do. If I hadn't had Scan Thoughts, this encounter would've been fine (and also less interesting).

This is complete BS. The slaver actually has a completely different reason for wanting her. Did you even play the game?

The setting-specific terms are not as bad, because you tend to know that they're nonsense. The issue with those is that the actual meaning of the words are never explained to you. Even the common "berk" was explained to you in Torment, although not immediately.

Leave the Tutorial on, if you want things to be explained to you. Other things you can find out on your own (gasp!) when talking to the numenera scholar in the tavern, for example. Again, did you even play the game?

As someone who writes pages-long dissertations on what is wrong with this game, you should at least try to get your basic facts straight.

Unfortunately, Sir Arthour is a terrible way of dispensing lore. A walking Wikipedia if you will. This is why I love Deus Ex. It not only has an engaging story to tell, but also know how to incorporate it in the game; in this instance, insterspersed in character dialogues and emails and books.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom