Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Ivan

Arcane
Bug?

Erritis won't move WITH the party when entering any new areas( may have started after I returned from the labyrinth). Can still initiaite dialogue, and still interjects during dialogues with other NPCs though.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I want to put this up as a steamreview holy shit my sides. Who do I give original credit to?
It was my reaction as I was playing, some of the first interactions are pure gold like that crazy tavern on Sagus Cliffs and the Underbelly, great areas that could rival any side quest on the original torment, pity the main quest is so uninteresting and weak.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just finished it. I went in nearly blind, since I ignored pretty much all the development notes, betas, kickstarter updates, etc after I backed the project way back when, so I didn't really know what to expect.

I liked it. It's a flawed game, yes, but there's enough good there that it kept me intrigued enough to marathon through the game in 2 days. The plot was interesting if predictable (I saw the major act 2 twist coming a mile away, as well as what happened in the Bloom), but the setting was probably what kept me going. A wealth of interesting ideas and worldbuilding and stuff. Yes, the companions were bland for the most part (although I did like Matkina), and the endgame sequence with the resonance chamber really started to drag a bit, but overall it was engaging and interesting. The flaws weigh it down, but there's a lot of good in there too.

Successor to PS:T? Not really. But worth a try if you're a storyfag.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
not relevant to the gameplay, but my item and its description survived all the cuts, only slightly edited (the word purple and throbbing were removed for some reason plus a few small edits). Now there is the issue that noone will use the item since there is no combat to speak of.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Man, I hate flashbaks on books and movies and I'm learning that I hate them too on games, most of the starting main quests on this game is ,castoff did things on the past, castoffs did things on the past, castoffs did things on the past, how about something happening while you are actually playing the game for a change?

There is so much cool stuff around why waste time bothering with what the Changing God did on the past, this is irrelevant backstory begging for someone to cut it.

Terpsichore

Arcane
Alright so, just as started a new game, it tells me that I have brown skin. Should I uninstall right away? How heavy is the SJW bullshit?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
not relevant to the gameplay, but my item and its description survived all the cuts, only slightly edited (the word purple and throbbing were removed for some reason plus a few small edits). Now there is the issue that noone will use the item since there is no combat to speak of.

WHICH ITEM

fobia

Alright so, just as started a new game, it tells me that I have brown skin. Should I uninstall right away? How heavy is the SJW bullshit?

Just imagine you're proper black underneath.
You'll manage.

Last edited by a moderator:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So how's the much advertised reactivity? There's lot shit-to-mediocre impressions here, but if the game is as reactive as advertised, that isn't tellinkien the whole truth. Anyone already going for seconds to see how differently things can be done and to what extent it affects anything (or does it at all)?

Wulfstand

Prophet
The game is actually fun, despite many of its glaring faults. If you choose not to view it as the PS:T spiritual successor that the devs have been trying to promote, you're bound to have some fun.

That having been said, the setting feels like it's too over the place. I understand that it's supposed to be a bit ludicrous, what with it being placed 1BILLION years in the future, but I can not for the life of me see how all of it can stick together. Every encounter you meet feels so zany and whacky that at times I can't even bother to take it seriously. This might seem silly coming from me, since I'm the type of person that loves rpg settings that depart from traditional standards, but the type of shit I see in this game sometimes makes me feel like I'm playing Monkey Island.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
- The murder case in the beginning of the game has at least one timer AND you can pick wrong person, although it is very very hard to do so since game just basically writes in your journal who the murderer is. (game writes a lot of stuff in the journal by the way that can be concidered handholding)

The effort to which the game goes to plaster the "right" conclusion to that quest all over your face is nothing short of insulting. I don't know how big of a cretin one would have to be to accuse the wrong culprit here when it's just spelled out to you at nearly every step.

Man, I hate flashbaks on books and movies and I'm learning that I hate them too on games, most of the starting main quests on this game is ,castoff did things on the past, castoffs did things on the past, castoffs did things on the past, how about something happening while you are actually playing the game for a change?

IT WAS CASTOFFS

Azarkon

Arcane
Impressions after five minutes:

:what:

Minute 1:

You have five million dollars, yet your opening scene, probably the most important scene in the game for getting people into the game, is ... A black screen with a narrator reading descriptions of what's happening around you and what you look like.

I guess we have to establish that we're inspired by Planescape: Torment by getting you in the mood of reading pages of text right away... Except, Planescape: Torment had an opening cinematic.

Minute 2:

Room you start in is in unique enough. There's a black spot in front of me. Oh, it's a bowl.

Minute 3:

My first memory. So this is where the similarity with Planescape: Torment begins. Too bad they already spoiled your identity on the Store page.

Minute 4:

Stairs. Doors. I wonder which one is going to open.

"The light around the door's frame dims and flares, like a roaring fire in a high wind."

...What? There's no changing lights on the door. Am I to imagine that there's a light scattering around this particular door's frame that 'dims and flares like a roaring fire in a high wind?' Why would it do this, and why isn't it scattering to the rest of the room? Why insert a description that obviously contradicts what's shown on the screen? Not a big issue, since it's just one line, but it's already started: descriptions for description's sake.

Minute 5:

Second memory. Wait, no, a third memory. Or is it the fourth? Maybe the fifth?

So much for not knowing your past. But then again, this game never did keep that a mystery.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but for all the people who cared about being able to walk instead of run, you can (if you play with a controller).

Terpsichore

Arcane
Well, after playing for a bit, the writing tries to present itself as edgy and prententious but is mediocre at best and downright awful at times. The characters are ugly as hell though, I would rather stare at TNO's ugly mug or Morte's shiteating grin than those genderfluid transniggers from outer space.

The "tutorial" is pretty bad, it gets better once you're out of there but the initial impression isn't good.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not a bad game but clearly not the PS:T spiritual successor that the devs had promoted. Not even close.
Just another forgetable game that I'll probably never replay. Like %91 of the KS era.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria

WHICH ITEM

Ecstasy Paralyzer, a ranged weapon, so it exists in game mostly for decorative purposes. No idea where it is found or how it looks (well not purple and throbbing, i know that much. It is a foot long though), havent played the game, i just googled the item.

ArchAngel

Arcane
are Oddities JUST junk? I thought I could use some to feed the Sticha, but alas, no such option.
I had one talk to me and show me images of who I am or who Sorrow is. Apparently Sorrow is
a furry animal gnawing on it own foot
:)

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
[...]

So.. exactly like PS:T. At least they succeeded in that (I still fukcing remember trying to become mage with TNO for the first time. Hours well spent on searching enlightenment)
No, that's completely different. There's not a single time in PS:T when are restricted from doing something because you are not a wizard, and told that you cannot do it because you are not a wizard, especially without a single hint that you have to go find a trainer or a nod in Mebbeth's direction.

I'm not talking about tides. I'm talking about actually seeing a different outcome based on how you choose to solve the quest. Tides are just cosmetic from what I've seen so far.
Outcomes are just cosmetic from what I've seen so far.

Have some patience, jesus. You'll get it eventually, there is nothing confusing or obtuse about obtaining it.
You have to talk to a group of out-of-the-way slavers to which you are in no way lead, and references to the skill shows up before you have any idea what it even is, dangling it's micropenis in your face. Confusing? No. Obtuse? Absolutely.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Okay I figured out why I can't stop laughing at this writing and this narrator. They were actually writing/recording a never before seen episode of garth marenghi's darkplace.

Listen to the below narrating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EkN8WtFTpE

Read this text

f8JZlnD.png

It's 100% garth.
This actually makes the game better. I wish they'd had him as a narrator, and had narrative sections of this type. It would be amazing and awful, in a good way.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So how's the much advertised reactivity? There's lot shit-to-mediocre impressions here, but if the game is as reactive as advertised, that isn't tellinkien the whole truth. Anyone already going for seconds to see how differently things can be done and to what extent it affects anything (or does it at all)?

Depends on what you're looking for. There's a lot of reactivity for your stats, even if some of it is just flavor (which is still important to have), and quests offer multiple ways to solve them, some times in surprising ways. The storyilne itself though, it's pretty much linear from what I'm able to the tell. It allows from some several early game overs for choosing stupid dialogue options, but that just makes the railroading more evident.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It ranges from subtle to awful. Much like Tyranny, there's a ridiculously over-emphasis on strong womyn in positions of authoritay, and as a change of pace the token negro is also the token homo. You get a strong african negro tribal vibe from the cannibal cultists, though, which I think is hilarious in how you can probably drum up the Twitter feminists against it, which will no doubt end up with a shitstorm of "But we're just like you, look, no white people in this game!".

It's there, but it's not interesting or in-your-face. Either that, or I'm simply becoming jaded and don't notice anymore. But yeah, forget about being a fucking white male, you're an inbred gene-trash mongrel mongoloid.

Iznaliu

Arbiter

If you really have a problem with that, paint your skin brown.

It ranges from subtle to awful. Much like Tyranny, there's a ridiculously over-emphasis on strong womyn in positions of authoritay, and as a change of pace the token negro is also the token homo.

Gay black people are a nice change of pace. By the way, here is a shocking fact: 50% of the world's population is female.

which will no doubt end up with a shitstorm of "But we're just like you, look, no white people in this game!".

Probably only 10-20% of the world's population is "white", whatever that means. Sure, you say, there are 800 million Europeans, but a Spanish person probably wouldn't qualify as white unless you were told they were Spanish beforehand.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Speaking of purple prose:

0SizJKj.png

Started decent enough in their description and then suddenly WOAH curving line carved in oak and radiant lantern of a starless night. WHAT. THE. FUCK. Dude, fuck off.
Why did these two random NPCs needed to have their smiles described in such detail and why the fuck should I care?
Random, not very interesting (even after finding out what they actually do) but with pretentious descriptions NPCs. Why?
Their smiles are completely irrelevant to their story, and to their characterization so why should I care about this high-school level of writing?

Prime Junta

Speaking of purple prose:

0SizJKj.png

Started decent enough in their description and then suddenly WOAH curving line carved in oak and radiant lantern of a starless night. WHAT. THE. FUCK. Dude, fuck off.
Why did these two random NPCs needed to have their smiles described in such detail and why the fuck should I care?
Random, not very interesting (even after finding out what they actually do) but with pretentious descriptions NPCs. Why?
Their smiles are completely irrelevant to their story, and to their characterization so why should I care about this high-school level of writing?

Backer NPCs. What did you think they were?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom