Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Expeditions: Viking February Newsletter: New Beta Coming March 15th, Spear Abilities

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Expeditions: Viking; Logic Artists

In the latest Expeditions: Viking newsletter, the Logic Artists announce a date for the game's third and final beta session, which we first learned about last month. Newsletter subscribers will receive their beta Steam codes on March 15th:

Great news! The third and final beta session is kicking off March 15th and if you're reading this newsletter guess what? You're signed up for it. We will send out an email on the 15th where everyone will receive their steam codes and the build will come online in the evening. The beta will run for a few weeks and we hope that you will all join us on steam to try out a whole lot of new content in the second campaign.

If any of you out there are interested in streaming or making youtube videos during the beta, feel free! But please wait until the second week to start your vids so we have a chance to resolve any prominent bugs or issues before you get started.

Should you know someone who you think would love to play Expeditions: Viking give them the chance by referring them to our website where they can sign up to our mailing list, which includes the Newsletter and Beta access!
The newsletter also offers a look at a few more of Viking's combat abilities, this time those related to the humble Spear:

We thought that this month we'd showcase for you, the skill highlights of another two-handed weapon available in Expeditions: Viking, the Spear.

Enjoy the benefits of poking people with a sharp object without all the hassle of having to stand close enough for them to poke you back. As with most weapons, investing skill points to level the Spear will reward players with a total of 3 unique combat abilities:

Extend - at Rank 1, Extend is an attack action which allows battlefield tacticians to go where no melee weapon has gone before, granting players melee attacks with a three hex reach, though at 75% or regular damage.

Smack - Sometimes despite your best efforts enemies will get inconsiderately close to your charaters. When that happen's those with Spear Rank 3 will be able to gracefully swat an adjacent target up side their head with the blunt end of the spear. This will count as an attack at 50% regular damage and will make the target Concussed (Endurance -3). The player's unit will then take a step one hex back without provoking Attack of Opportunity.

Distract - at Spear Rank 5 the Distract ability allows a character to draw the attention of an enemy and neutralizes the Attack of Opportunity of that Enemy. It will only work on targets that are exactly two hexes away.
And it reveals what the additional "special release week gift" for subscribers is - a free upgrade to Digital Deluxe Edition for the released game:

Remember friends, there's lots more to come with Expeditions: Viking. As the snows thaw and the ices melt, the passages will open and our ships will cross the sea. Our April 27th release date is fast approaching and we're looking to you our trusted friends and allies to join us on this great campaign.

You will all be rewarded, a share in the spoils to each of you! As a token of our friendship, we'll be sending you all a special bonus code closer to release. You can use this bonus code on Steam to upgrade a purchase of Expeditions: Viking to include the additional items available in the Digital Deluxe Edition. This will include a digital copy of the original game soundtrack, a digital art book, and an ornate in-game sword to get you started on your quest.

All in all, it was a great month, we hope to see some of you at PAX East this year. Stop by the booth, say hello, and get a sneak peek at the demo build ahead of the Beta!

As always, stay tuned to the Newsletter for more info on Expeditions: Viking and keep an eye out for beta info on the 15th of March. Until next time!​

Also in the newsletter is a recap of the Logic Artists' visit to the PC Gamer Weekender event two weeks ago, during which they were interviewed by a couple of YouTubers. Nothing incredibly interesting, though.

M0RBUS

Augur
Looking forward to this. It's a shame I can't play their old beta anymore, still have it installed :(

Bakunin

Novice
Hey, not to be a dick or anything, but where are these guys from again? It could be because I'm drunk, or it could be because in my lurking I've grown accustomed to the Codex's hyper-critical / semi-belligerent rhetoric, but there's something about the way this update is written that makes me feel sad deep inside. Things like:

We thought that this month we'd showcase for you, the skill highlights of another two-handed weapon available in Expeditions: Viking, the Spear.

When that happen's those with Spear Rank 3 will be able to gracefully swat an adjacent target up side their head with the blunt end of the spear.

I'm really liking the way Viking seems to be shaping up, and it's probably a 'week one' purchase for me... but these grammatical mistakes are lodging like bones in my throat.

Bakunin

Novice
Basically, I'm wondering - do their updates reflect the quality of in-game writing?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Expeditions Conkywhatsit had good enough writing, also these guys are some Scandinavian blokes, don't remember which place. Denmark, maybe.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Basically, I'm wondering - do their updates reflect the quality of in-game writing?

No, the newsletters are not written by the same person as the one who's writing the game. And while we're from Denmark, only about half of us are Danish.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Codex RPG of the Year 2017.

Probably true because it is coming out early enough that enough Codexers will play it to increase the voter pool

ArchAngel

Arcane
Codex RPG of the Year 2017.

Probably true because it is coming out early enough that enough Codexers will play it to increase the voter pool
With No Truce and Copper Dreams coming out this year it will be a tough battle. Maybe even biggest one yet.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sorry indiefags, D:OS 2.

Also Codex community so far is showing a dispiriting lack of interest in Expeditions: Viking tbh

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Fuck you, shill. Muh Battle Brothers is going to win this thing!

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sorry indiefags, D:OS 2.

Also Codex community so far is showing a dispiriting lack of interest in Expeditions: Viking tbh

This game agrees with most things Codexers think RPGs should be like, so there's no confrontation to stimulate discussion.

The same could be said of AoD or Underrail, whose sub forums are (and have always been) ghost towns compared to activity in the Bethesda sub forum. If nobody disagrees about anything there's nothing of interest to talk about.

I forgot about D:OSII, yeah, but depending on the vote system we use it isn't impossible for Vikings to win.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
After what I played of the closed beta, when it comes out the word of mouth will be good and more Codexers will buy it based on that word of mouth, kinda like what happened with Shadowrun Returns and Neo Scavenger. The production value is also significantly higher than Conquistador - the visuals, music and art direction are great and those types of things will impress people.

The new Baldur's Gate style areas are quite atmospheric, with a lot of VFX and post-processing.

The content is pretty good too, Britannia may end up being the best part of the game (at least it has the potential to be) but what comes before was pretty good too. The writing isn't loredumpy either :).

Last edited:

pbrand

Novice
I found Conquistador to be a pretty refreshing experience, but a lot of that enjoyment was from the setting. High hopes for Vikings to marry setting and mechanics as well as Conquistador did.

Cannot wait to see what this last beta of Vikings is going to be like.
Agreed - RPG of the Year will be between Vikings, No Truce and Copper Dreams. Sorry Infinitron, Larian's trash just won't cut it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom