Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Ivan

Arcane
are Oddities JUST junk? I thought I could use some to feed the Sticha, but alas, no such option.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
While the dislike for having to endure a latin american spanish translation is real and inevitable among spaniards (look for Simpsons clips in latin american and catillian and read the comments if you want to go down the rabbit hole), I would prefer if it didn't distract from the most pressing issue here, which is that the quality of the translation itself needs to be addressed. And looking at the InXile forums, seems like most of them need to be addressed.

I only saw one picture of the Spanish translation, and indeed, it feels off. I'm one to play all of my games in English, no exceptions, even when it comes to games like Planescape: Torment. So I admit I'm a little biased towards the English original. But I don't have this problem with movies themselves, as long as the dub is extremely professional (have you seen Disney's Zorro in Latin American Spanish? It was so good I thought that was the original language).

Let's see if you agree with me. With this image in mind:

2017225173342_1.jpg

Here's how I would translate it:

Qorro - Éxito: Qorro te examina unos instantes y suspira.

- De acuerdo -dice-. Déjanos saber si ves algo que pueda ser de nuestro interés. Quisiera poder decir que puedo pagar por tu favor, pero de ser ricos no estaríamos aquí, ¿verdad?

[Escanear pensamientos] - Si no dice la verdad, ha de ser un excelente mentiroso. Debo haberme equivocado.

Mmm... I would argue that the screenshot would be more appropiate than what you wrote, at least without having the full context and the original text at hand (I remember the scenario, not the actual dialogue), and obviously taking the point of view from a spaniard.

"Está bien" doesn't need to be changed, we use it all the time to conceed stuff. "Avísanos" is also a lot more natural to us than "déjanos saber", which we would say as "haznos saber". "Interesarnos" is also properly used, even if your construction is also completely fine. "Pagarte el favor" or "pagar por el favor" sounds awful for a spaniard, we return favors, not repay them, so for us to work narturally it should be "devolverte el favor" (the next line would have to be modified slightly to accomodate for the change in meaning). Also, ending with "¿no?" is incredibly common here, so it sounds fine.

From the scan thoughts line, "creo que me equivoqué" isn't appropiate as it has happened in the inmediate past. What you wrote works better.

This screenshot in particular is pretty decently translated, I would say. It has two expressions that sound very odd to us (pagarte el favor, creo que me equivoqué), but the rest is fine.

What is not fine is the lack of distinct color use for dialogue and prose. This shit is inexcusable.

pippin

My issue is that it sounds too much like an american learning spanish or a rather dumb spanish speaker. I don't know which one irritates me more.

Style can be discussed, but that "no" being repeated makes me want to kill people.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The Genocide wasn't bad. Too bad you can only ask it questions, while only given the option of a single very condescending reply that isn't a question. I wish we could've been in that battle it's talking about, instead of doing nothing like our current state.

Last edited:

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My issue is that it sounds too much like an american learning spanish or a rather dumb spanish speaker. I don't know which one irritates me more.

Style can be discussed, but that "no" being repeated makes me want to kill people.
The repetition of no, from a coloquial point of view, is appropiate here. But yes, avoiding repetition from a written stand point is preferable. Still, if someone said that to me, it would sound 100% fine, so here is more of a writing issue than a localization/translation one.

pippin

The repetition of no, from a coloquial point of view, is appropiate here. But yes, avoiding repetition from a written stand point is preferable. Still, if someone said that to me, it would sound 100% fine, so here is more of a writing issue than a localization/translation one.

Yeah. It's just that finding something in the text of a game that makes me interrupt my "game" state of mind, or "disbelief" as some would say, can really be damaging for my own experience. I don't remember the translation being this basic in PoE, and I played that one in spanish as well.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
So is Edge the only thing worth leveling up?
Doesn't matter, eventually you'll run out of options of what to level up.

Don't become a King in Yellow. Purely mechanical orange is also shit. Get other people to do that.

What you need to become is deeply into purple.
Edgy purpleballs, then effort for purpleballs, then purpleballs pool. Then the nightmares stop and you just press buttons to win dialogues and 90% checks in the game.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Well I actually managed to lose a combat. Granted I didn't really bothered figuring out how any of the combat systems works, or upgrading my gear, and I sort of went guns blazing into some mini-dungeon. Still, I'm starting to understand why they have gutted everything out of the Numenera PnP. It just doesn't translate well into video game at all.

I think this must be why this game ended up in development hell. It was probably going well until the beta, then they saw players banging their heads, decided to rework bunch a lot of stuff while already being behind in development, and ended up with this Frankenstein monster of a system that's half-Numenera half fuck knows what.

Still, for all the complaints I get distinct PS:T vibe from this game. Not PS:T the impeccable RPG diamond, but rather the PS:T as it really was - a deeply flawed game that's carried solely by the sheer strength of the setting and art. Beause while T:TTON's art and writing are uneven, when they're good, they're really fucking good. Every once in a while, in all those lore dumps, you run into something that's really truly engaging and interesting. It's a shame the quality isn't nearly as consistent as in PS:T.

And I wonder about replayability too. Yeah the quest have seem to have a lot of outcomes even if you win a skill checks, but will that really push me to replay it again, just to see what happens if I roll a dice differently? I have my doubts. I'm starting to think they should have just gone for a bigger and more linear game, obviously have some C&C for major outcomes but no more. Seems like they went way over the top with with all these tiny branching outcomes that most people will never see.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
are Oddities JUST junk? I thought I could use some to feed the Sticha, but alas, no such option.

I think you need to buy an implant in the chirurgical parlor called "numenera analyser" in order to make them work.

And I wonder about replayability too. Yeah the quest have seem to have a lot of outcomes even if you win a skill checks, but will that really push me to replay it again, just to see what happens if I roll a dice differently?

The problem is that the system is opaque. Most of the time you don't really know if your choice is meaningful or cosmetic. This makes the game feel linear.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Still, for all the complaints I get distinct PS:T vibe from this game. Not PS:T the impeccable RPG diamond, but rather the PS:T as it really was - a deeply flawed game that's carried solely by the sheer strength of the setting and art. Beause while T:TTON's art and writing are uneven, when they're good, they're really fucking good.

What planet do you currently live on, and what is the cost of medical marijuana?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
People are talking...

Writers clearly should have been reined in

The writing shows surprising lack of oversight by an editor. While there are a couple of sentences that don't quite make sense, it is really about the vocabulary. Good god, the vocabulary.

Yes, we get it, you own a thesauraus. Using obscure words might demonstrate your ability as a vocabularian, but it shows surprising lack of understanding as a writer. Writing is about conveying ideas and emotions. This cannot happen if a reader doesn't understand or relate to what you wrote. Sure, they can look up the word, but by then the added impact of a more precise word is completely lost, and all you have done is killed the reader's momentum.

I can't be alone in this thought. I am 40+ and was an avid reader. So I have to imagine if I am encountering numerous unfamiliar words, a large portion of the customer base is as well. It becomes tedious and yanks away any semblence of immersion.

“Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words? He thinks I don’t know the ten-dollar words. I know them all right. But there are older and simpler and better words, and those are the ones I use.”

― Ernest Hemingway

Jezal_k23

They spent around day on the top 5 sellers on Steam, right now it's #7. Wonder how it's doing.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I'm revising my previous comments - the character development is much better than it seemed earlier in the game. There were some interesting options at first but not many. But at tier 2 there are a lot of new options and most of the choices given are good. I've had a handful of more combats and though they weren't all that tough it shows the rpg system has a lot of promise. I am not fimilar with this specific system but it sort seems like a mix of a plused up world of darkness mixed with some Ars Magica oddities. It is much better than I originally thought.

As to comments on the little girl companion - I really like that she isn't that great. This is the type of choice and consequence I like. I can be the type of character I want to be and keep her around, or be a huge dick for better combat efficiency. I'm keeping her because of roleplaying and despite what is more tangibly beneficial. This is actual roleplaying, not talking to companions.

Also, the gay pirate is the second prominent gay pirate in a TB birds-eye-view fixed camera p&p based rpg that I can think of. I can't think of any other gay pirates in any other rpgs. In all fairness ToEE had at least two counting the pirate boss who was the joinable gay pirate's lover. Is there something about these kinds of games that is more gay pirate friendly than other rpgs?

I would love to see a party based rpg based off of this rpg system. Since they are making a WL3 that is more like Torment, I would love to see a Torment 2 (or a completely different offshoot) that is more like WL2 DC. I think 4 party members would cover too much. Three creatable party members in a three member max party would be perfect (unless they add more skills and systems, like thievery or something).

So I am changing my rating of this game from good to almost great. It can still be great if there ends up being a lot of great encounters later in the game. If I was more into story I would probably consider it an instant classic. I just got a couple people to tier 3 and this teir doesn't disappoint. I'm hoping it stays the same in further tiers. I may have to go through drivethrurpg and pick up the rulebooks for this system to check it out in more detail. I am becoming a fan of it.

Sentinel

Arcane
People are talking...

Writers clearly should have been reined in

The writing shows surprising lack of oversight by an editor. While there are a couple of sentences that don't quite make sense, it is really about the vocabulary. Good god, the vocabulary.

Yes, we get it, you own a thesauraus. Using obscure words might demonstrate your ability as a vocabularian, but it shows surprising lack of understanding as a writer. Writing is about conveying ideas and emotions. This cannot happen if a reader doesn't understand or relate to what you wrote. Sure, they can look up the word, but by then the added impact of a more precise word is completely lost, and all you have done is killed the reader's momentum.

I can't be alone in this thought. I am 40+ and was an avid reader. So I have to imagine if I am encountering numerous unfamiliar words, a large portion of the customer base is as well. It becomes tedious and yanks away any semblence of immersion.

“Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words? He thinks I don’t know the ten-dollar words. I know them all right. But there are older and simpler and better words, and those are the ones I use.”

― Ernest Hemingway
what did you expect when one of the writers is someone who writes manuals on how to spank your partner during sex?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Still, for all the complaints I get distinct PS:T vibe from this game. Not PS:T the impeccable RPG diamond, but rather the PS:T as it really was - a deeply flawed game that's carried solely by the sheer strength of the setting and art. Beause while T:TTON's art and writing are uneven, when they're good, they're really fucking good.

What planet do you currently live on, and what is the cost of medical marijuana?

Planet? I'm a being of galactic proportions, only temporarily stuck on the Codex, because I had to take my interdimensional spaceship to the shop. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. NPCs running around with no heads. Attack trolls closing in on Josh Saywer. All those moments will be lost, like my fist in your anus.

Seriously though, a lot of it is pretty fucking cool. The psionic bartender and his band of misfits in that tavern was awesome. The robots were fun. That one story were dude was searching for his sweetheart, and it turned out she's an ancient he digged out in a ditch and reanimated was hilarious. I find the side quests much more interesting than main plot, which I didn't really start yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom