Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sizzle

Arcane
I would be ok with her being a sidekick too. It at least frees from the obligation of developing relationships for her. Going from seven companions to eight also probably means increasing the number of relationship combinations from 28 to 36.

Going by their desire to turn Ydwin into a full-fledged companion - she'll definitely be at least a sidekick, but the other sidekicks could change during development (remember Cadegund? ;) ).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would be ok with her being a sidekick too. It at least frees from the obligation of developing relationships for her. Going from seven companions to eight also probably means increasing the number of relationship combinations from 28 to 36.

Going by their desire to turn Ydwin into a full-fledged companion - she'll definitely be at least a sidekick, but the other sidekicks could change during development (remember Cadegund? ;) ).

BTW, idea for bringing back Cadegund:

Christine & Elijah --> Cadegund & Durance

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Not likely.

They're already in the middle of production, and the sidekicks stretch goals pointed out that those characters were from quests already in the game.

Sizzle

Arcane

Not likely.

They're already in the middle of production, and the sidekicks stretch goals pointed out that those characters were from quests already in the game.

Actually, what they said was: "Before joining your ranks, Sidekicks start out as unique NPCs integral to specific quests, complete with their own personalities and looks, and they may offer to join your party as a reward for completing their quest."

No indication those quests (or sidekicks) are complete, just that they are planned to be like that.

Tycho Brahe

Novice
I wish there will be climbing mechanics for Rogue type of characters (scaling houses, entering through balconies to steal at night), I miss that from tabletop games.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This embedding is slowing the page down on old computers...

I hope there will be more to the enchanting process itself than: have the components in the Stash - click a button. I found Witcher III's system of armorers/blacksmiths who would craft things for you better, possibly with specific quests needed to be completed in order to have the best items.

Last edited by a moderator:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wish there will be climbing mechanics for Rogue type of characters (scaling houses, entering through balconies to steal at night), I miss that from tabletop games.
I think they did such stuff (climbing at least 3 times, specifically) through scripted interactions in PoE.

fobia

I hope there will be more to the enchanting process itself than: have the components in the Stash - click a button. I found Witcher III's system of armorers/blacksmiths who would craft things for you better, possibly with specific quests needed to be completed in order to have the best items.

I agree. Though now already... It's hard not be hyped.

I will go and meditate upon life and all it's shortcomings and disappointments.
May my cynicism and false sense of objectivity come back to me.

Sizzle

Arcane
I think they did such stuff (climbing at least 3 times, specifically) through scripted interactions in PoE.

Yup. There were a couple of scripted interactions that involved climbing in the base game (one such was exactly what Tycho described - scaling a house in Brackenbury), and a couple more in TWM.

Tycho Brahe

Novice

>Scripted interactions
I mean, they were nice, especially with skill checks, but it would be good to make rogues useful, and put something new in the game. Last games I played where you could role-play rogues were Darklands and Realms of Arkania, that's sad.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I think what would make rogues really useful, beyond their role of high-damage fragile strikers would if thieving abilities were limited to them only, or others' skills for lockpicking, pickpocketing, sneaking and trap-finding were capped at some level.

Why would people take a Thief class character in the IE games? To find traps mainly. And it was always a risky thing to do because you could be either stealthed or looking for traps at any one time. So you can either scout around while hidden, or look for traps while potentially vulnerable.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You could say that other classes' skill levels are "capped" because they don't get the initial skill bonus that Rogues do and there's only a limited number of skill points to earn.

Tycho Brahe

Novice
I think what would make rogues really useful, beyond their role of high-damage fragile strikers would if thieving abilities were limited to them only, or others' skills for lockpicking, pickpocketing, sneaking and trap-finding were capped at some level.

Why would people take a Thief class character in the IE games? To find traps mainly. And it was always a risky thing to do because you could be either stealthed or looking for traps at any one time. So you can either scout around while hidden, or look for traps while potentially vulnerable.

True, and in both BG 1 and 2 making a thief is stupid because you get Imoen or Yoshimo at the start.

AwesomeButton

Patron
You could say that other classes' skill levels are "capped" because they don't get the initial skill bonus that Rogues do and there's only a limited number of skill points to earn.
I didn't know or had forgotten that. Tells you how much of a difference it used to make in PoE.

ushas

Savant
I doubt everyone will have an opinion on everyone else. This would turn into a soap opera if so.
Sorry I should have said possible combinations. Yeah the numbers and the scope how opinions develop don't need to be equal, the relationship with the watcher being the most important. But they use this tag system, so even when nobody than the player is having opinions on Ydwin and vice versa, they still could feel entitled to react if something in the conversation is triggering them. Perhaps even with higher probability if it's a dialog with another companion? That's not necessarily bad on it's own, just potentially increases the complexity.

Let me use as an example on the whole the PoE1's dialog system - there was actually a good number of conversation checks. But perhaps also the sheer number of possibilities (background, class, race, skills, attributes, dispositions, factions, etc.) contributed to the watering down the system and lowering the peaks of reactivity.

But I might simply misunderstood how it works.
Josh Sawyer said:
These tags exist so that companions can react to them both in the moment and systemically over longer periods of time. As the player makes choices, companions note the player's attitudes and build an opinion of them over time. Additionally, companions also react to the attitudes expressed by other companions and will build opinions of them. In the long term, the companions will develop stronger opinions and more concrete relationships with each other.

ushas

Savant
They have shown people climbing in the campaign trailer at ~2:30. So at least work on animations is being done.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I didn't know or had forgotten that. Tells you how much of a difference it used to make in PoE.

It can matter at the high end for Mechanics (12 required to open some locks and disarm traps at the bottom of the Endless Paths and it gets even higher in TWM)

They have shown people climbing in the campaign trailer at ~2:30. So at least work on animations is being done.

That sort of thing is actually not entirely new. IIRC PoE1 has places where beetles climb up walls.

Last edited:

ushas

Savant
The highest skill check in Mechanics is 15, in TWM2.

I think a specialized character without initial bonus cannot reach that, but then you have Gloves of Manipulation (+2), resting bonus (+1/+2), the Rite of Hidden Wonders (+3), and PC can also get Dungeon Delver talent (+1).

Last edited:

Tycho Brahe

Novice

Yes, I saw that, they would just have to implement it to character mechanics, and make the world climbable.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=284#updates

Update # 21: $4.5 Million Attained! Ship Crews Unlocked!
POSTED: 03/02/2017
We wanted to let all of you fans and backers know that we've hit $4.5 million and unlocked another stretch goal, the ability to find and hire crews for your ship!

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F5c1fb6c182ac1a7bc3f662e39f0b483415b97174%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1488400341

Before we kick off, though, we're giving a quick shout out to one of our favorite titles: Torment: Tides of Numenera from our good friends at inXile Entertainment, which was just released yesterday! Just like Pillars II, Torment is an isometric, party-driven, cRPG, but Torment takes its inspiration directly from Planescape: Torment and the award-winning Numenera pen-and-paper RPG by Monte Cook. Having played Torment, wefeel Pillars II fans will enjoy its unique setting, beautiful art, and intricate gameplay.

Now, back to the stretch goal! If you recall, Ship Crews offer a whole new layer of interactivity for player ships: Find, hire, and manage a crew. Once hired, crew members can be assigned roles on the ship, and will play a role in the events and battles that you encounter at sea. We are also introducing crew dilemmas that will allow you to take charge and be the captain when they look to you for guidance!

This also puts in reach our next two goals: Sea Monsters and Fishing at $4.75 million and, of course, our 8th Companion, Ydwin, at $5 million. As a reminder, the Pillars II developers gave some details on how Sea Monsters and Fishing would work in a previous update.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F7aa046753c7eb1f3e564dbf79a0593ed630ffc39%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1488400894

In Deadfire, fish will provide you with different rest bonuses and give you more recipes to cook up to help you on your adventures. Fishing will trigger scripted interactions on your boat where you can choose various baits you have collected and see what fish you can catch. Different areas on the world map will have different fish below the surface. You can be an occasional line-dropper or an expert fisherman. And who knows, maybe you'll hook some rare gear or run into sea monsters who have only been spoken of in tales...

We're excited to see if we can achieve the next two goals before the 60-day slacker-backer period is up!

So check out Torment and when you're ready, spread the word about our latest stretch goal achievements. Let's get to $5 million!

Tycho Brahe

Novice
It looks like they want to make isometric Assassin's Creed IV, especially if they do put climbing in game.

AwesomeButton

Patron

True, and in both BG 1 and 2 making a thief is stupid because you get Imoen or Yoshimo at the start.
Eh, in BGII I almost always rolled a swashbuckler, I liked the combination of a fighter/thief capabilities. I also usually rerolled scores until I could get all stats at 18 except charisma for which I used the famous CHA:18 ring.

It can matter at the high end for Mechanics (12 required to open some locks and disarm traps at the bottom of the Endless Paths and it gets even higher in Cragholdt)
Yes, I recall cases where I would go back to the stronghold to get the Devil for her high Mechanics. But Mechanics and the ability to open locks was more of a luxury in PoE, for the sake of the principle that "the crit path should be easily traversible by noobs". What made thieves crucial in the IE games were the traps which could be quite punishing. And for the sake of the same principle, I don't think traps were much of an issue in PoE, where the Lockpick and Find Traps skills were combined into Mechanics. However my experience isn't representative because I play in a completionist manner.

Tycho Brahe

Novice

Eh, in BGII I almost always rolled a swashbuckler, I liked the combination of a fighter/thief capabilities. I also usually rerolled scores until I could get all stats at 18 except charisma for which I used the famous CHA:18 ring.

It can matter at the high end for Mechanics (12 required to open some locks and disarm traps at the bottom of the Endless Paths and it gets even higher in Cragholdt)
Yes, I recall cases where I would go back to the stronghold to get the Devil for her high Mechanics. But Mechanics and the ability to open locks was more of a luxury in PoE, for the sake of the principle that "the crit path should be easily traversible by noobs". What made thieves crucial in the IE games were the traps which could be quite punishing. And for the sake of the same principle, I don't think traps were much of an issue in PoE. However my experience isn't representative because I play in a completionist manner.

That ring killed all the fun in character making. And made me angry first time playing the game, because I usually play high charisma characters.

Parabalus

Arcane

Yes, I recall cases where I would go back to the stronghold to get the Devil for her high Mechanics. But Mechanics and the ability to open locks was more of a luxury in PoE, for the sake of the principle that "the crit path should be easily traversible by noobs". What made thieves crucial in the IE games were the traps which could be quite punishing. And for the sake of the same principle, I don't think traps were much of an issue in PoE. However my experience isn't representative because I play in a completionist manner.

The only time when a low mechanics skill affects you is if you rush TWM content (lvl 4-5-6). Then you absolutely have to stack every modifier or you will get destroyed. Instant party wipes due to a 300-400 damage Chain Lightning or Death Ring happened to me.

I agree, when you get to higher levels it all becomes a wash, I'm sure they'll improve upon it in Deadfire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom