Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera Released

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
giphy.gif

Yeah, sure.
tumblr_mmr883PokL1s5bb8ko1_400.gif

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Fuck it, I'm not gonna let Kodex spoil a game for me again. I'm just gonna play it and make my own impression. Everybody here is so toxic and forgot what it's like to genuinely enjoy an RPG
Carry on, we'll still be here when you want to return and complain about how shit it is. Oh and you're not the last castoff, you're the sorrow.
Did you just spoil the entire plot of the game for me and everyone else who hasn't completed it yet?

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fuck it, I'm not gonna let Kodex spoil a game for me again. I'm just gonna play it and make my own impression. Everybody here is so toxic and forgot what it's like to genuinely enjoy an RPG
Carry on, we'll still be here when you want to return and complain about how shit it is. Oh and you're not the last castoff, you're the sorrow.
Did you just spoil the entire plot of the game for me and everyone else who hasn't completed it yet?
He's fucking with you.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Or greeks hate bankhouses, because those got them in the mess they are in - and Brian pays dearly for his family ties.

Riiiiiight, because it is not as if there were greek bastards spending money they didn't own and making loans that they couldn't pay. Blame the banks, not the people!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well now you don't have to complete it. :lol:

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
He's fucking with you.
Thank god... I completely forgot there are actual people on the Internet who could spoil the whole game or movie like that, although (most of the )people here do seem to have standards.
I'm gonna stop reading endless threads about it and just play it, with WL2 DC being good it gives me a reasonable hope this one will be too. Deep breath... here I go

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I feel like those two Greek reviews probably have a Roxorian kernel of truth, but their comments about the Meres make me think there's something they fundamentally don't get about the game's appeal.

Can you blame him? More than once, I missed content because I just assumed that the developer would not trouble himself adding little details because 9 out of 10 that’s exactly what happens. You try to find hidden details as a sucker just to give up. I say, blame the parents other developers.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
See you in two years, you dumbfucking beta-testing industry tools.
Good luck finding your enjoyment in an imitation of an overhyped western visual novel.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Call me easily amused but seeing live jet engines made by an ancient race of slave robots that are so old that they can't move anymore, under orders of an ancient race that doesn't exist anymore for some misterious purpose used for melting iron for metallurgy and providing energy to the city is pretty cool. Same is some strange insect man race that came from the Bloom and feed on electricity generated by the static of their claws digging rocks was pretty cool too.

I see alot of flaws but some good stuff too. I already get this game won't be as good as Planescape Torment, for all the hype InXile did on the generous pre production time they had, the main story is just meh so far, same as the companions. They overdone on backstory and not actually something interesting happening on the present what fucks up the pacing of the game big time at the start.

I don't see any reason to be an edgy shitlord yet, is this game as good as Planescape Torment? No. Is this game as good as Mask of Betrayer? No. Will win codex top 10 nominations? No. However, is this an abomination coming from hacks like Bumdog and Biowhore? No. Is it a piece of shit? No.

I'm far on Sargus Cliffs and while I see why some codexers hate this game, I see plenty of reasons for liking it too. I didn't play the Bloom yet and Ziets could just come with crazy shit that improves my perception of the game but so far it is an enjoyable adventure game with stats. If you expect more from it, you will be disappointed.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Played it yesterday for a couple of hours, and impression so far is overall positive. The intro/tutorial scene with the Spectre got reworked, and flows much better than what I remember from beta. I mean, if we are going to compare it to PST on every level, who's gonna enjoy it? It does a good job on exploring similar themes, and that's all I can ask from a PST spiritual successor but that feeling I got waking up in the Mortuary... and then exploring it. It was genius, and I don't think I'll ever get that with a game ever again.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
The apotheosis of this half-baked impression comes with the choose-your-own-adventure blocks of text that appear plastered on some sketch artwork during flashbacks. This was jaw-dropping at first and one can easily think that it’s some kind of placeholder draft that was forgotten in post-production. If you are a true fan (and especially if you have already participated in the massive crowdfunding project and do not want to admit that maybe you should not have spent 400 dollars to back a nostalgia-capitalizing product) you can find excuses for most of TToN’s faults. But plopping blocks of text and multiple choice menus is inexcusable and unfortunately (for lack of a better word) cheap.

I don't understand why they say the meres feel cheap. The game definetly feels that has had some corners cut if you have followed the game, but the meres are certainly not one of them. I thought they were great.

Because they are retards to whom the entire concept of having text-based CYOA sequences feels cheap, not their particular execution in Torment.

Of course, in the current atmosphere here retards like this are hailed by the local edgelords. It's all good as long as it's negative I suppose.

Bladderfish

Augur
Sorry to crap on people's negativity, but I've played this for about 4 hours now ... and it isn't feckin bad at all. Its too early to tell if the gameplay holds up against continuous pummelling, but in terms of story, at least the many minor stories throughout the first area, it's pretty damn interesting and rings (or sings, if that's the way you like your karach) true of PST in many ways. The simple fact I'm not skipping huge amounts of text, like in most fantasy games, speaks volumes about the originality of the ideas.

Still time for it to fall apart yet, as Wasteland 2 did, but this nowhere near an abomination of a game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom