Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

ArchAngel

Arcane
Dropping mage duels, harsh counters and overpowered items in PoE is not sticking to the original formula.

Eh, there's plenty of seriously overpowered items in PoE. Not many hard counters perhaps, but having items that boost defense vs an ailment by +30 is pretty damn good and should generally be enough.
Mage duels are indeed notably absent.
It is not enough vs grazes of dangerous spells.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Being good enough doesn’t make it great.
I'm not one of those people who will spend an hour deciding between 6.5/10 and 7/10. If it's good enough, I'll give it a 10.

Dropping mage duels, harsh counters and overpowered items in PoE is not sticking to the original formula.
There were no mage duels in BG1 and hard counters were added in TWM. The itemization suffered from Sawyer's over-emphasis on balance but you can find some pretty OP items in TWM. Gyrd Háewanes Sténes is a good example (eps. considering how early you can obtain it). Vanilla PoE wasn't perfect as a BG1 successor but Obsidian eventually addressed almost all of its shortcomings (except pathfinding).

covr

Prophet
Patron
Anyone got some spare key? I want to try this but there is no way I am giving even a cent to Fargo.

Eh, there's plenty of seriously overpowered items in PoE. Not many hard counters perhaps, but having items that boost defense vs an ailment by +30 is pretty damn good and should generally be enough.
Mage duels are indeed notably absent.
Nothing like Gram the sword of grief, which drains one level per hit Or Aslyferund Elven Chain which makes you completely immune to unenchanted weapons is in BG2 is in PoE.

Almsot all the artifacts in PoE is underwhelming. Ohh a unique blunderbuss...which just gives +3 DR penetration and a bit more damage...i mean wtf is with that?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I'm not one of those people who will spend an hour deciding between 6.5/10 and 7/10. If it's good enough, I'll give it a 10..

That doesn't make any sense. If you have two games you like, and one is much better than the other one, do you give both a 10? That's indulgent attitude is why we don't have nice things anymore.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
You probably won't agree but both WL2 and PoE were good enough for me.

The problem is usually some kind of middle ground approach when instead of honestly saying "X is a great source of inspiration but we have our own ideas so don't expect anything closely resembling X" the developers try to play the nostalgia card without actually following through on their promises.

Which is precisely what Obsidian did with PoE.

Which is precisely what Obsidian had to do in PoE, they followed their promises too closely; instead of innovating, they tried replicating in a new system in most cases. Nostalgia held back PoE.

For PoE2 it seems nostalgia won't be as influential which is for the better.

ArchAngel

Arcane

The problem is usually some kind of middle ground approach when instead of honestly saying "X is a great source of inspiration but we have our own ideas so don't expect anything closely resembling X" the developers try to play the nostalgia card without actually following through on their promises.

Which is precisely what Obsidian had to do in PoE, they followed their promises too closely; instead of innovating, they tried replicating in a new system in most cases. Nostalgia held back PoE.

Except they are modifying most of the ruleset and engine so it is now closer to IE games.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

But they are bland and unimaginative. It doesn't came close to a silver sword that gives you the ability to instantly kill enemies, or a talking sword that gives you immunity from charm and confusion.
There's a sword that can instakill undead though. Including a Lich.

Quillon

Arcane

Except they are modifying most of the ruleset and engine so it is now closer to IE games.

Whatever they are doing, they are doing it on their own terms now, mostly. They didn't promise a spiritual successor to old games this time, they promised a sequel to PoE1 and that's theirs and they have the freedom to move it in any direction.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
that's a mother fucken Kotaku review, my friend

RP6Eqsy.png

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

No, they keep their promises on their own terms. They make a new system that is bland and unimaginative because Sawyer don’t want players to feel frustrated. It’s bad enough that you are just trying to make a clone of a previous game, but it is even worse to add a bunch of innovations that nobody asked for and only make things worse. If anything, PoE2 will only cement the suspicion that Obsidian doesn’t have what it takes to make a good game. This time the previous excuses of new engine and new system will not be available and the mediocricy will be there for all to see.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Ah yes, this is the part of the game's lifetime when the True Hardcore Purists commence obsessive comparasionitis. Just like the PoE thread, we'll soon have 50 pages of bickering about whether giving T:TON NPCs different length of nose hair than PS:T NPCs, is an unacceptable, barbaric deviation from the sacred formula (TM).

Just one time I would love to see a developer to actually follow the purist dream, and copypaste everything 1:1 from the original game, including it's god awful shitty combat, the unmatched complexity of it's character systems that have everyone maxing exactly the same attributes, and the amount of bugs that took half a decade of community patches to fix.

That would make the purists quite satisfied, wouldn't it? They could sit comfortably on the couch and feel fulfillment, because the game would have been shit, but at least it would be shit in the same ways as the last one.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ah yes, this is the part of the game's lifetime when the True Hardcore Purists commence obsessive comparasionitis. Just like the PoE thread, we'll soon have 50 pages of bickering about whether giving T:TON NPCs different length of nose hair than PS:T NPCs, is an unacceptable, barbaric deviation from the sacred formula (TM).

Just one time I would love to see a developer to actually follow the purist dream, and copypaste everything 1:1 from the original game, including it's god awful shitty combat, the unmatched complexity of it's character systems that have everyone maxing exactly the same attributes, and the amount of bugs that took half a decade of community patches to fix.

That would make the purists quite satisfied, wouldn't it? They could sit comfortably on the couch and feel fulfillment, because the game would have been shit, but at least it would be shit in the same ways as the last one.
just don't take them to the heart. enjoy what you enjoy. i am enjoying this so far. make your own opinion, don't let other make yours.

"gaze into the codex's autism and the autism gazes back"

ArchAngel

Arcane

It is a shame your brain was not as huge as your.. nick.

Quillon

Arcane

No, they keep their promises on their own terms. They make a new system that is bland and unimaginative because Sawyer don’t want players to feel frustrated. It’s bad enough that you are just trying to make a clone of a previous game, but it is even worse to add a bunch of innovations that nobody asked for and only make things worse. If anything, PoE2 will only cement the suspicion that Obsidian doesn’t have what it takes to make a good game. This time the previous excuses of new engine and new system will not be available and the mediocricy will be there for all to see.

https://youtu.be/fvyrEhAMUPo?t=2724

and [itsyouropinionmaaaan.jpg] we'll see when the game comes out.

Sentinel

Arcane
So what's it like? Worth pirating?
It's pretty shit. Most NPCs have nothing useful to say except dump a nice load of lore in your face, the companions are pretty boring (all humans too, wtf?), so far the story is pretty meh and extremely predictable. It's a 5/10. Might as well pirate. I would never buy it though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom