Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

UPDATED: In need of JRPGs with good combat (preferrably tactical combat)

RuySan

Augur
TiTs combat it's probably among my favourites when it comes to RPGs , but unfortunately it's attached to a very text heavy game.

Wtf is unfortunate about that, it's very well and charming written you don't like reading?

I meant "my favourites when it comes to combat", but it's not among my favourite games because all the text. Yes, the plot and writing is above the usually terrible jrpg standards, but not enough for me to care. VTM: Bloodlines it certainly isn't.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
From the Action RPGs with arena combat like Chrono Trigger, Seiken Densetsu, or the Tales of... games, which one(s) would you say have the most satisfying combat?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I'd say the Star Ocean series has the least worse action combat in arenas.

Combat in Seiken Densetsu is better and Chrono Trigger is even a lot better but combat in Seiken Densetsu doesn't take place in a separated arena and Chrono Trigger is not really an action game.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I started playing Final Fantasy IX again yesterday, as well as trying out Fire Emblem (the GBA one). Honestly, Final Fantasy combat is boring as hell. Only the soundtrack kept the game going, until I realized I had much better things (fap) to do instead of playing a game I had already beaten like three times. Fire Emblem on the other hand, while not "surprisingly addictive", shattered my expectations. I found myself playing it for a good hour, and I find it is very refreshing to play a game that is literally "nice combat -> story segment -> nice combat -> story segment". It's not exactly "most complex combat ever seen", but seeing the miniature characters kill each other is oddly satisfying. Plus FFIX is terrible for my OCD, particularly when it comes to finding everything, talking to everyone, and so on.

Tales of Phantasia is one game I want to play again, as it had very pretty and interesting combat.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'd say the Star Ocean series has the least worse action combat in arenas.

Combat in Seiken Densetsu is better and Chrono Trigger is even a lot better but combat in Seiken Densetsu doesn't take place in a separated arena and Chrono Trigger is not really an action game.
Arena not being a requirement, more of enclosed area.

Comte

Lucas9 what happened? Your now Sigourn the black wizard?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Lucas what happened? Your now Sigourn the black wizard?

In knowing the teachings of Master Vivi, I have become stronger.

I didn't like my previous user name, though I wish I had gotten "Lucas". Anyhow, if people are still interested in contribooting:
  1. Are there any JRPGs (RPGs from Japan, that is, not "JRPG" as genre) that are more "mature" in their tone and not idiotic? So far I can't think of many, other than the obvious Souls series and some other games, including my beloved Vagrant Story.
  2. If I had to put it the best way I can: can you guys recommend RPGs from Japan that don't feel clearly Japanese? I find western RPGs tend to be much more mature with their stories and setting. I reckon this basically gets rid of 80% of the RPGs ever made in Japan, since most of them are very child or teenage-oriented to begin with.
  3. Anything obviously animu must not apply. For example, Hyperdimension Neptunia. But Final Fantasy Tactics has clear anime influence, and yet it isn't animu at all. It's just an artstyle, whereas shoving boobs in your face all the time is more than just an artstyle.
I'm going to give some examples of point 2:
  1. Good: Vagrant Story, Dark Souls, Final Fantasy: Tactics, Wizardry-style dungeon crawlers, Shin Megami Tensei. Final Fantasy VII is interesting: it clearly has japanese influence and it plays pretty much like a traditional JRPG (subgenre), but it is much more mature in its setting that makes it feel like a Western RPG.
  2. Bad: Chrono Trigger, Mother, Neptunia, Ys, among others. If it has a party of teenagers destined to save the world, I'm not interested. Final Fantasy IX is another great example of what I don't want. I tried replaying it a few days ago, but I gave up after the petrified forest bit.
At this point I expect the "just play the games, faggot" comments, but I wanted to give this thread one more chance. I can't believe almost everything to come from Japan is shit.

Comte

Have you tried tactics ogre let us cling together? The story is based on the collapse of Yugoslavia and the ethnic fighting that followed.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Have you tried tactics ogre let us cling together? The story is based on the collapse of Yugoslavia and the ethnic fighting that followed.

Not yet, but I will!

These are the franchises/games that interested me:
  • Etrian Odyssey: yeah, I know it's very child-like, but if it is Wizardry inspired it has to be somewhat good.
  • Shin Megami Tensei and the Persona series.
  • Vagrant Story
  • Soul Series
  • Valkyria Chronicles series
  • Legend of Heroes series
  • King's Field and Shadow Tower series
  • Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy series
  • Shadowrun (SNES and Genesis)
  • Jeanne d'Arc
  • And the various Wizardry-style games: Elminage, The Dark Spire, among others.
Looking at pictures, though, it seems Legend of Heroes is exactly the type of game I'm not interested in...

Vorark

Erudite
These are the franchises/games that interested me:
  • Etrian Odyssey: yeah, I know it's very child-like, but if it is Wizardry inspired it has to be somewhat good.
  • Shin Megami Tensei and the Persona series.
  • Vagrant Story
  • Soul Series
  • Valkyria Chronicles series
  • Legend of Heroes series
  • King's Field and Shadow Tower series
  • Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy series
  • Shadowrun (SNES and Genesis)
  • Jeanne d'Arc
  • And the various Wizardry-style games: Elminage, The Dark Spire, among others.
Looking at pictures, though, it seems Legend of Heroes is exactly the type of game I'm not interested in...

From the list, if you want GOOD combat and do not care about story, characters and similar mumbo jumbo, you can't go wrong with:

- Etrian Odyssey: Solid dungeon crawlers, despite the moe art. Still think EO2 it is the best entry in the series. If you decide to play the 3DS remakes of 1 and 2, go with Classic mode. As a plus, the soundtrack is pure unadulterated bliss by Yuzo Koshiro.
- Shin Megami Tensei: Play Nocturne, Strange Journey and the first Devil Survivor. The latter is a bit animu but makes up for it with C&C and good systems. The 3DS version adds a compendium and expands some of the endgame for certain routes. Heard good things about Soul Hackers but have yet to play it.
- Souls Series: Can't really go wrong with any of these games.
- Valkyria Chronicles: Only played the first one. The combat system is refreshing, just skip the cutscenes in order to keep your sanity. The ranking system is, unfortunately, shit.

Suggestions:

- Advance Wars: pick the GBA entries. Good tactical games with little to no nonsense.
- Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem (aka FE12 aka Why-didn't-Nintendo-localize-this-one-instead-of-Shadow Dragon): Last decent FE game before the series got infested by waifus and similar crap. Very good maps and there's reclassing. Fan translation available.

laclongquan

Arcane
  1. Are there any JRPGs (RPGs from Japan, that is, not "JRPG" as genre) that are more "mature" in their tone and not idiotic? So far I can't think of many, other than the obvious Souls series and some other games, including my beloved Vagrant Story.
  2. If I had to put it the best way I can: can you guys recommend RPGs from Japan that don't feel clearly Japanese? I find western RPGs tend to be much more mature with their stories and setting. I reckon this basically gets rid of 80% of the RPGs ever made in Japan, since most of them are very child or teenage-oriented to begin with.
  3. Anything obviously animu must not apply. For example, Hyperdimension Neptunia. But Final Fantasy Tactics has clear anime influence, and yet it isn't animu at all. It's just an artstyle, whereas shoving boobs in your face all the time is more than just an artstyle.
I'm going to give some examples of point 2:
  1. Good: Vagrant Story, Dark Souls, Final Fantasy: Tactics, Wizardry-style dungeon crawlers, Shin Megami Tensei. Final Fantasy VII is interesting: it clearly has japanese influence and it plays pretty much like a traditional JRPG (subgenre), but it is much more mature in its setting that makes it feel like a Western RPG.
  2. Bad: Chrono Trigger, Mother, Neptunia, Ys, among others. If it has a party of teenagers destined to save the world, I'm not interested. Final Fantasy IX is another great example of what I don't want. I tried replaying it a few days ago, but I gave up after the petrified forest bit.
At this point I expect the "just play the games, faggot" comments, but I wanted to give this thread one more chance. I can't believe almost everything to come from Japan is shit.

Parasite Eve 2, faggot! I said it before and will again. 2, not 1. 1 is for nostalgic oldfags who just dont know better.

Think Resident Evil but more RPG, less horror. Bonus point: mostly zombie-free.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
If I had to put it the best way I can: can you guys recommend RPGs from Japan that don't feel clearly Japanese? I find western RPGs tend to be much more mature with their stories and setting. I reckon this basically gets rid of 80% of the RPGs ever made in Japan, since most of them are very child or teenage-oriented to begin with.

Video games are for kids.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
western RPGs tend to be much more mature with their stories and setting.

Is... this an attempt at triggering people or what?

That was never my intention. But there are undoubtedly some japanese RPGs that appeal to more profound feelings as opposed to "love & friendship", which is something common in plenty of JRPGs.

And I don't mean to say either that "western = mature". Just that western RPGs, generally, are more mature than their japanese counterparts.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Just that western RPGs, generally, are more mature than their japanese counterparts.
Examples, examples. Do you really think Might & Magic games are more mature than Final Fantasy III?
western RPGs tend to be much more mature with their stories and setting.

Is... this an attempt at triggering people or what?
Why? Mature jrpg is an oxymoron.
Here, to bring you up to speed:

I don't disagree with that, I disagree with the part that says Western RPG are much more mature

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Examples, examples. Do you really think Might & Magic games are more mature than Final Fantasy III?

I could grab the most popular franchises from both western RPGs and japanese RPGs, and the western RPGs would win in maturity. And I would consider that a fairly appropiate comparison, because it would mean the "demand" is there. It's Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy against The Elder Scrolls and Falllout. Even in its more prominent decline, the "maturity" is still there. Not to mention if we bring The Witcher to the table.

JRPGs have their somber and dark moments here and there, but most of the time they are very light hearted stories. If you don't like my definition of "maturity", perhaps you will like it if I replace "maturity" for "lack of playfulness".

I presume your definition of "kid" is fairly different to mine. I don't consider The Witcher a videogame series for kids.

All this said, perhaps you could try to prove me wrong by suggesting JRPGs that feel mature. So far, as you can see, my list is absurdly short, compared to my Western RPG list that has over 250 games.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom