Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play: Battle Brothers 0.9

Drew

Savant
It's time to die under my incompetent leadership earn your keep in the world as a mercenary, codexers! Glory, honor, and most importantly coin are ours for the taking in Battle Brothers, and we shall set out bravely to take them. This is a general call to arms for volunteers of all skill levels. I shall be using my own friends and acquaintances until those of you with bellies of steel and brains of mush sign your contract in the nearest tavern.

Fn54pIk.png

LP INFO
This play through will be starting on build 0.9.0.20, a feature complete beta build of Battle Brothers. This is nowhere near a blind lp, as I have already played about 70 hours of Battle Bros and about 40 on this patch. For those of you wishing to sign up, please let me know what background you'd like to come from and what weapon you'd like to use, and the name of your bro if it should be different than your codex username. If you don't have a preference, thanks for accommodating the special snowflake requests. Keep in mind that requesting rare or frequently expensive backgrounds will mean you will not show up in the LP for a while, so that I don't hamstring myself early on. Requesting expensive weapons (ie. Two Handed Swords) will likely see you using something else for a while. Hell, requesting anything two handed will likely see you use a one handed variant and a shield for a while, as bows are absolutely brutal to raw bros. Perk info will be covered when Bros begin earning them, and requests for your bros there will be acknowledged.

This first post will contain all of the bros who dared step into the life of a mercenary.

:salute:Living Bros:salute:
Statistics are recorded nude, and will show differently when fully equipped.

Name: Skittles
Background: Companion
Traits: Fat
Hired: Day 0
Time Contracted: 1 Day
Battles: 1
Kills:
Earning: 11g daily
Level: 1
HP: 70
Fatigue: 81
Resolve: 42*
Initiative: 93
Melee: 62**
Ranged: 37
M Def: 3*
R Def: 4
Injuries: None

Name: Lhynn
Traits: Dexterous, Hesitant
Kills: 0
HP: 60**
Fatigue: 105*
Resolve: 40*
Melee: 64
Ranged: 41
M Def: 9
R Def: 5

Name: Drew
Traits:
Kills: 1
HP: 57
Fatigue: 94
Resolve: 36
Initiative: 109*
Melee: 52
Ranged: 53**
M Def: 1
R Def: 5*

Name: Jinn
Background: Messenger
Traits: Irrational, Determined
Hired: Day 1
Battles: 0
Earning: 7g daily
HP: 55
Fatigue: 106
Resolve: 38
Initiative: 100**
Melee: 48***
Ranged: 39
M Def: 1**
R Def: 6

Name: Steve
Background: Caravan Hand
Traits: Greedy, Sure Footed
Earning: 9g daily
HP: 61
Fatigue: 98
Resolve: 39*
Initiative: 107*
Melee: 54**
Ranged: 45
M Def: 10
R Def: 1

Name: available
Background: Gambler
Traits: Brave
Earning: 7g daily
HP: 50*
Fatigue: 91
Resolve: 52
Initiative: 119***
Melee: 52
Ranged: 40*
M Def: 4
R Def: 8

:cry:Deceased Bros:cry:

hopefully to remain empty
haha who am i joking this will be 30 deep by page 5

:salute:Recruits in line:salute:

Zombra
Azira
Jimmious
Sam
ERYFKRAD
Generic Brawler
SmartCheetah
Andnjord

Name: EZPZ Copy Paste

Traits: Fat
Kills:
HP: 70
Fatigue: 81
Resolve: 42*
Melee: 62**
Ranged: 37
M Def: 3*
R Def: 4

First Post

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Lhynn
Any non religious background
Any weapon is fine, just not much into ranged, rather be murdering stuff on close range.

Jinn

Arcane
Jinn
Any background will be fine.
I'd like to wield a war-hammer one day, please!

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Well, sign me up. Same name, any non-posh background that suits you, and I fully expect to be a 2H trooper if I make it to level six.

Oh, and build me right, please!
Scholar, Pathfinding, Brawny, Underdog, Reach Advantage, Battleforged, Berserk, Killing Frenzy, Sword/Axe Mastery, and then whatever tickles your fancy.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Zombra
Preferred Background: Cultist
Preferred Traits: any of Bright, Disloyal, Fainthearted, Fearless, Hesitant, Impatient, Loyal, Superstitious
Preferred Loadout: ranged weapons and/or heavy armor and shields to keep me safe.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Steve
I don't want to die. Put me at back with polearm pls.
I want to be rich enough so I can get a nice home and play video games all day.
I like pork knuckle and a can of ice cold radler on hot noons.

Drew

Savant
Alright, time to get started.

jwwpuns.png

Those of you stalking the Battle Bros thread should have an idea on the life expectancy of your bro, so collect all of your friends and get them to sign up.
So, without further ado, let's leap into Battle Bros and make the Silver Gauntlets a name to be respected.
4Pw8qh1.png

Well, we're off to a good start. :salute: to the previous captain. Luckily that means the position is now vacant.
zoIW5Yb.png

This corpse ridden battlefield is offered as an entrance into Battle Brothers. 3 borderline green recruits on one side,
a vicious bandit and two henchmen on the other. Hoggart, the bow carrying well armored man in the back, will flee, so we can ignore him for now. The two other bandits carry imposing melee weaponry: the closer one carries a wooden flail, capable of completely ignoring defensive bonuses from shields, and the further one carries a cleaver capable of causing bleeding on any hit that gets through armor. Thankfully we have a crossbowman and a shield of our own to even the odds.
Our crossbowman has the first turn, and so will move up so that he can maintain a clear line of fire while our two melee bros engage the remaining bandits.
IxozB6I.png

3hVfWRE.png

The shot connects, and the bandit takes an injury on top of the damage.
ee862f12-d803-43e6-9779-e6275dd17b4a
zyy9JFt.png

The axe wielding bro wiffs his swing, and our spearman moves to other side, using his entire turn.
lapKmJ3.png

The bandits spend their turn doing nothing, letting us have three straight turns to deal damage.
The crossbowman fires a shot over the melee, hoping to hit an enemy and not one of his bros...
ZdO4bkp.png

and decimates the cleaver/shield brigand.
With two spear hits removing all of the remaining highwayman's armor to shredded tatters, our axe bro cleaves him in two.

The battle summary screen shows just how dominant our bros were in the very end of the battle.
M7ZOirq.png

Letting only a single hit of 4 armor damage connect, and killing two enemies quickly before checking for any survivors of the previous clash.
idCmy8o.png

Unfortunately, I am the only survivor besides the three standing bros. A technical victory as my first time in charge, sullied by the decimation of the company and loss of our previous leader. Still, everyone has to start somewhere.

Now comes time to inspect our remaining bros.
First up: the former spearman
4OwgA7e.png

Traits of Dexterous(+5 Melee Skill) and Hesitant (-10 Initiative) could be a lot worse. Improved growth rates in Hit Points, Fatigue, and resolve, but nothing offensive or defensive, make me want to turn you into a heavy armored one-handed axe wielding shield smasher. That great starting fatigue means even after armor you'll still have more than some bros would nude. Well, it might be a pipe dream now but someday he'll go crashing into a line of orcs and break them down or be smashed to bits by a chain flailing berserker on turn 3. Now that I have a future in mind for the bro, let's introduce...
c17d4ef2-8526-44fa-9307-07e603b34fa3
7U95jBe.png

On to the next bro.
B2ZQ1LN.png

The former axeman is a fat (+10 hp, -15 max fatigue) bro with improved rates in melee skill, melee defense, and resolve. Stellar high initiative means you'll go first or near to it. Some day you'll be cleaving heads and overwhelming even knights of the royal houses with your furious assault assuming you live that long. Let's hear it for...
ya2w5DG.png

Our third and final bro...
S3T2PbD.png

A ranged inclined bro with very high initiative and no traits to speak of. Given that he's not quite obsessed with forgotten gods enough to be Zombra...
8ZvrF3k.png

He shall have to suffice being my own self insert.
With our operative duties fulfilled, it's time to return back to our sponsor and get paid.
78JeFGA.png

A cursory glance at the world map to get some perspective leaves me feeling uneasy about the balance of the noble houses. A true war could demolish two of them without significant repercussions for the third. I get ahead of myself though, coin is the only thing on our bros minds right now so I need to tend to that.
6f2UUhP.png

Perhaps tending to my own injury first is a decent idea.
3nslm0b.png

A bit ironic, isn't it? My self insert telling me I'm allowed to make decisions. Still, a guaranteed contract and some vengeance is an easy choice at this point.
9ZxjqfP.png

A grand idea, Lhynn. More bodies to the meat grinder. So then, we set off to the city.
RMsKKJs.png

In the city, we make a few hires, and equip them.
qjhSlWQ.png
CQKxlvy.png
Kk6KVOt.png

Jinn: formerly a messenger, irrational and determined. Insane growth rates for an early game hire.
Steve: formerly a caravan hand, greedy and surefooted. Solid except his ranged defense.
Yet to be named bro: formerly a gambler, brave. Fast fast fast action is the name of his game.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/lets-play-battle-brothers-0-9.113904/#post-4989045
Next Post

Last edited:

Drew

Savant
I really wish I understood how the fuck spoilers worked. They add themselves wherever they feel like when I only want to use a single one.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
This is how it works remember to open and close tag as needed.
Steve
CQKxlvy.png
Jinn
qjhSlWQ.png

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Let me die for you. :salute:

Really, not picky. Just give me a dented dinner plate for a shield and a fork as a weapon, and I'll go into the breach.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'll join also. Named Jimmious, only requirement is to carry some kind of two handed axe/hammer/sword when meleeing.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll die for brofists.

Whatever background and perks men, just give a decent two-hander eventually.

Unwanted

lili

Unwanted
Sure! Find me a Brawler.

My name should be [melee skill][offensive perks][def skill]

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Count me in. I prefer juggler, murderer, thief or something like that. Weapon choice doesn't really matter, but you might try to go with someone using throwing weapons(Preferably, javelins) at battle start and then changing them to board+something. So quick pockets are basicly a must have.

Andnjord

Arcane
Hire me oh master! I'll put my (non)amazing skills with a sword or an axe or whatever the hell you judge me fit to handle to your service!

Drew

Savant
This is how it works remember to open and close tag as needed.
Steve
CQKxlvy.png
Jinn
qjhSlWQ.png

Bolding things was messing with them and causing the forum to insert extra that weren't there. I sorted it out but it's still a pain.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm in. Everyone else wants to be a frontliner so I don't mind being an archer/reach weapon user and poke everyone full of holes from a distance, or more likely just be shot down myself by some damn gobbo. I'll use my forum name.

Drew

Savant
PREVIOUS POST

So now that we have replaced the corpses of our former companions with Jinn and Steve (RK47 ) and the unclaimed bro, it's time to return to Ulfert in Sundheim. The trip back is uneventful, passing some peasants on the road but nothing more.

yI82ZOu.png

Unfortunate. It seems Hoggarts complete disregard for the lives of his underlings hasn't become common knowledge, since people are still working for him. I guess we have no choice but to hunt him down.

twQmGSD.png

Hoggarts hideout is made in the foothills south of Sundheim, an afternoons stroll for our bros. Our scouting party finds only Hoggart himself and a few poorly armed bandits with him, so we prepare to engage.

ygnjJ1X.png

So, the field is set and the men are armed. Hoggart himself screams at us, asking if we are sniveling lapdogs for Ulfert and how many times he must cut us down before we abandon the task of slaying him. The answer is simple, dear reader: we shall continue to hunt as long as the crowns flow into our pockets. Hoggart needs not know our loyalties are so thin, however. When I do not answer, his men begin to charge.
i70Bz1F.png

The second round of combat goes decidedly in our favor
AIMYINo.png

Lhynn decapitates one of the brigands, and Hoggart takes an injury on the end of Skittles' spear.

mbB3nOx.png

The third round ends, and combat is nearly over.
Jinn cut down the bandit who had engaged him and begins to move to hinder the enemy archer, Lhynn moves to attack Hoggart, and our unnamed bro puts a bolt in the gut of the bandit who attempted to apprehend him.
16dcLWw.png

At the end of the fourth round, the bandit Archer falls to the unnamed bros crossbow, but Hoggart remains strong behind his shield. The battle, for all intents and purposes, is over, yet we need Hoggart dead to receive our payment. A full round of attacks land on his shield, before Jinn can chop it into pieces, allowing Lhynn to cut Hoggart to bits with his butcher's cleaver.
qdlMUiI.png

Notable loot include a fancy ring, some cash, and most importantly Hoggarts head.
ARB39uh.png

KSc2VwH.png

The walk back to Sundheim is quiet, the company contemplating the future that awaits. Drew comes to remind me that I am Captain of our band now, and it is my decisions that the men will listen to.
zNxwEqr.png

While I appreciate the reminder, I do not think it is necessary to camp now. We sustained no real injuries fighting Hoggart's last stand, and the few repairs required can be done while we march. Sundheim is safe for us, safe enough at least, and we can mend things later should a fight arise.
cQJ2lrg.png

Our payday complete, our revival started, it's time to step out on our own, truly under my leadership now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom