Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Modding, Iceblink] Make Faerun Great Again!

Yea or Nay?

• Incline

Votes: 15 100.0%
  • Decline

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Crichton

Prophet
Like a couple other posters here, I have an irresistible urge to toward modding, (disclaimer: the vast majority of my works have never been completed) and I've been playing around with the Iceblink toolset for a while. To teach myself how to use it, I've been working on something I've been interested in for a while now, a module paying tribute to the original conception of the Neverwinter Nights Official Campaign in the Iceblink 2 engine. The genesis of this project is really twofold,

1) I read this old NWN design document (http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-cut-possibly-due-to-publisher-meddling.74097) and I was struck by the potential there that was obviously not realized by the NWN OC.

2) I’m optimistic that the Iceblink project will allow for user creation of RPG modules on the scale of Neverwinter Nights but with full-party control, essentially a modern-day Unlimited Adventures.

To these ends, I’m slowly creating a sort-of alternative NWN OC using the plot from that leaked outline but making up the details as I go along. This demo is the prelude, equivalent to the academy section of the NWN OC. I’m releasing it as a demo to get feedback on what people think of the race/class concepts and encounter design but I’m also hoping to interest others in building using IB2 and I’m hoping that the content I’m creating for CotWD can be a template for other builders.

I have finally released the prelude as a demo on NWvault:

https://neverwintervault.org/project/iceblink/module/curse-wailing-death-prelude

I think the potential for incline here is great; we're taking a good plot concept that was completely mis-implemented and taking it from the worst RPG engine ever conceived to something pretty serviceable. It took me a while to figure out how to put the various pieces together but creating a starter dungeon has taught me enough about how the toolset works that I feel confident about starting work on the campaign proper. I would appreciate any feedback as I slowly build up the NW city core in preparation for Chapter 1.

cotwdscreen1.jpg

cotwdscreen2.jpg

cotwdscreen3.jpg

cotwdscreen4.jpg

cotwdscreen5.jpg

cotwdscreen6.jpg

Setting:

The setting is roughly like that of Forgotten Realms but I’ve made some slight alterations to clean things up a bit. Most of what you remember about Forgotten Realms is accurate but importantly for this campaign, the gods of Toril, if they exist, do not communicate with their followers. Priests and Templars draw magical power from the movement of the stars, but it has nothing to do with the gods per se, as evidenced by witches who use the same magic without the religious component (i.e. the fact that a man casts spells while holding the holy symbol of a generally good god does not mean that he’s a good person or even that he is sincere in his worship of that god). Similarly, there are no “Know Alignment” or “Read Mind” spells so people still have to decide who to trust the old-fashioned way.

The Ruleset:

The rules are not exactly any particular edition of Dungeons and Dragons but rather like Shadowrun: Returns, it sort of suggests a blend of 2nd edition and 3.5. There are eight races and eight classes, detailed below and in general they work the way you would expect. However all classes have some form of spell-casting. You create up to six characters when you start the game but there are also six NPCs available to make up your party should you so desire.

Known Bugs:

I’ve tested the prelude with IB2 beta 21 and the only obvious bug is that spells like Bless or Song of Courage which are intended only to affect allies within a certain area affect enemies as well. There are also no immunities implemented in this version so zombies are still vulnerable to fear. Both of these issues were resolved in later unreleased versions of IB2 but an issue with spell effects on-hit was introduced. Sometimes containers display "Equip Selected" instead of "Take All" but it's purely cosmetic. Hopefully a new release will clean all this up soon.

Installation Instructions:

Unzip the archive into your IB2 modules folder, create up to six characters and do your part to end the plague in Neverwinter.

Edit: Races and Classes (also available in the pdf contained in the module folder)

Races:
Illuskan

Illuskans make up the majority of the civilized population in the north of Faerun. They are hardy folk, not afraid to take risks, travel, or settle new lands, and are always looking to better themselves and their families monetarily. Although Illuskans make skilled mercenaries and cunning rogues, Illuskan culture has not encouraged study of the Art. Notable exceptions exist, particularly in the study of the Art among the Netherese-influenced Illuskan cultures that lie north and west of the Inner Sea.

Abilities: No bonuses or penalties.

Move Speed: 5 Squares.

Uthgardt

The Uthgardt originally consisted of Northman raiders from Ruathym, Netherese Runlathan refugees, and various others who swore fealty to Uthgar Gardolfsson. They became the Uthgardt after their leader's death from wounds suffered in battle with Gurt, lord of the pale giants, in 123 DR. Individuals took up worship of the thirteen beast spirits that Uthgar had claimed to have tamed, and formed into tribes along this religious divide. The Uthgardt regard most southerners as weak and decadent, two much-despised traits. They are a people who greatly prize strength but generally care little for formal education.

Abilities: +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence.

Mountain Dwarf

Legends among the mountain dwarves say that they were forged in the center of Toril by the smith god, Gond, whom they call Moradin, the all-father. And that they fought their way to the surface, overcoming many dangers. They are certainly as unyielding as stone and scarcely more nimble. They are well-renowned as miners and craftsmen and equally famous for their martial traditions and unwillingness to forget past wrongs.

Abilities: +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, +20% magic resistance, +20% poison resistance.

Move Speed: 4 Squares.

Stonecunning: Dwarven characters have a chance to spot unusual stonework.

Gray Dwarf

The grey dwarves are the dwarven clans which have never made their home above ground. Long sundered from their surface kin, they have few dealings with outsiders. As one might expect for a race which rarely sees the stars, grey dwarves generally have little regard for religion or celestial magic. The few priests among them worship the outcast, who they call Laduguer. Their name stems from the fact that they tend to have pale skin, often with a greyish hue, unlike their more colorful cousins the mountain dwarves, who they say have interbred with humans.

Abilities: +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma, +20% magic resistance, +20% poison resistance.

Move Speed: 4 Squares.

Stonecunning: Dwarven characters have a chance to spot unusual stonework.

Sea Elf

The sea elves came to Faerun long ago, sailing from islands far to the West. They are a haughty people, fair to look upon and skilled in the arts. Though perhaps less hardy than the races of men, sea elves are both more nimble and resistant to magic.

Abilities: +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +20% magic resistance.

Move Speed: 6 Squares.

Wood Elf

The wood elves, or green elves, are descended from a lost colony of sea elves which interbred with tribes of savage men, forming a new race in the woodlands of Faerun. Distrustful of civilization, they are skilled in hunting, tracking and woodcraft. The blood of men has made them hardier than their sea elf cousins, but their isolation has also made them somewhat rash.

Abilities: +2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom, +20% magic resistance.

Woodcraft: Wood elf characters have a chance to spot anything unusual in woodland areas.

Half Elf

Half-elves are descended from the union of elves and men. Unwelcome in elven society, they make their home among men, where they are valued for their comeliness and grace, but still distrusted by many. It is no surprise then that no small number become wanderers.

Abilities: +20% Magic resistance.

Half Orc

Descended from orcs and men, half-orcs often feel at home among neither. Some are nearly as ugly as their orcish parent while others can pass for human. However, despite the prejudice they face among civilized men, their keen senses, a legacy of their orcish blood, make them prized as hunters and thief-takers. With every man's hand against them, many half-orcs choose the life of an adventurer.

Abilities: -2 Charisma.

Scent: Orcs are carnivores and possessed of a very keen sense of smell. Orcs and half-orcs have a chance to notice any usual odors when adventuring.

Classes:
Warrior

Warriors are members of the ancient orders of fighting men scattered throughout Toril. They train unceasingly so the next war will find them ready and learn the stories of the men of great deeds who came before them. Through ancient chants, they call on the spirits of their ancestors to turn the tide of battle. They are familiar with all of the arms and armor of Faerun.

Hit Points: 25 + 5/level.

Stamina Points: 10 + 2/level.

Superior Saving Throws: Fortitude, Reflex, Will.

Basic Attack Bonus (BAB) Progression: High.

Traits: Armorer, Cleave.

Bard

Bards are the storytellers and lorekeepers in the courts of Toril. They travel the ruins of the ancient world to seek out forgotten lore and accompany their lords into battle to record their great deeds in songs and chants. By reciting the deeds of long-forgotten heroes, they can call upon the power of their spirits to aid their companions or frighten their enemies. They shun the heaviest weapons and armors, preferring to remain unencumbered.

Hit Points: 20 + 4/level.

Stamina Points: 15 + 3/level.

Superior Saving Throws: None.

Basic Attack Bonus (BAB) Progression: Low.

Traits: Lore, Deception.

Priest

The people of Toril believe that their gods look down on them from above and their priests observe the heavens and draw magical power from celestial bodies. Though they are prohibited from spilling blood, conflicts between the cults of the gods are often violent and priests are trained both in the use blunt weapons and all but the heaviest armor.

Stamina Points: 20 + 4/level.

Superior Saving Throws: Will.

Traits: Astrology, Lore.

Templar

Templars are the militant arm of the churches of Toril. They are trained not only as the guardians of their respective temples but as witch hunters and inquisitors, seeking enemies of the divine order. They are trained in the use of all types of armor and melee weapons but shun the use of missiles.

Superior Saving Throws: Will and Fortitude.

Traits: Interrogation, Astrology.

Wizard

Wizards are powerful magicians who have learned to manipulate the world around them through careful study of the ancient runes of power and the true names of otherworldly creatures. They are unable to wear armor and use only the simplest weapons but have the deepest reserves of magic and their spells have the most varied and potent effects.

Hit Points: 15 + 3/level.

Stamina Points: 30 + 6/level.

Superior Saving Throws: None.

Traits: Ancient Runes, Alchemy.

Thief

Thieves are masters of stealth and deception. Initiated into a secret order, they are trained not only in moving unseen and dispatching foes quickly, but in the shadow runes which can only be read by moonlight. Using these dark magics, they cloak themselves in darkness and cloud the minds of their foes. They are trained in the use of light armor and a variety of concealable weapons.

Hit Points: 15 + 3/level.

Superior Saving Throws: Reflex.

Traits: Stealth, Sneak Attack.

Shaman

Shaman are the intermediaries between the mortal world and the spirit world. They can speak to the spirits of the rocks and the trees, calling on them for aid and hidden knowledge and are known by many names, druid to the elves, geomancer to the dwarves, hierophant among civilized men. Because of their strong connection to the natural world, shaman are found more often in the wilderness than among civilized folk. They armor themselves with the hides of beasts and make use of a few simple weapons.

Superior Saving Throws: Fortitude.

Traits: Herbalism, Second Sight.

Ranger

Rangers are men more accustomed to the solitude of trackless places than the company of others. More common among the barbarian tribes, they are often excellent hunters, of beasts or of men. They speak the tongues of animals and through ancient signs, may summon their spirits or draw their aspects onto themselves. They are familiar with the use of many weapons but do not burden themselves with heavy armor.

Superior Saving Throws: Reflex and Fortitude.

Traits: Track, Evasion.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Dude, fucking incline mate :salute::salute:

Can't wait to see this more developed. We need more Iceblink modules for sure.

I started on mine this weekend as well.

EDIT: Where are you getting your tokens?

Last edited by a moderator:

Crichton

Prophet
Dude, fucking incline mate :salute::salute:

Can't wait to see this more developed. We need more Iceblink modules for sure.

I started on mine this weekend as well.

EDIT: Where are you getting your tokens?

Thanks, Mustawd.

I'm using pictures of table-top miniatures as tokens to get a vaguely P&P feel without too much effort. For instance, the goblins you see in these screens are made by Otherworld miniatures. A lot of the PC tokens are from Reaper Miniatures. Every now and again I spend a while modifying them (Grimgnaw, for instance, was a pain, robed beardless dwarf, not many miniatures of those cast, so he's a re-proportioned human barbarian with a robe from a monk placed over the top). For non-commercial vaguely D&D-like projects, it's a pretty simple solution. Real animated sprites would be nice but considering we're talking about one man making something the scope of the NWN OC in his spare time, it would be a real overreach at the moment.

Mustawd

Lol, nice. I'm actually doing miniature paint overs myself.

I'm surprised at how good the photos look.

Dorateen

Arcane
Reposting some initial impressions I left over at the IceBlink forums. I encourage anyone interested in IceBlink to give this module a look.

I started playing last night, and enjoying so far. The options at character creation are great, with a fresh take on classes. Our party's thief has made use of putting the enemy to sleep. Obviously the graphics and UI are most impressive, every little custom detail. I love how you do the fog of war reveal on the map, with a fade in effect. And the way it is helpful to select between party members to get different interactions is very good design.

Dorateen

Arcane
Finished the demo last night. Some comments I posted at the IceBlink forum:

That last battle was fun. Our party's Thief and Templar both got frightened and couldn't move, but I was able to send Dorateen the dwarf warrior to hold off most of the goblin forces. Backed up by spells and ranged support. Our thief was still able to keep putting a good number to sleep throughout the fight.

Finished with 858 xp. I was hoping for one more battle to try and get enough experience to train. Would like to see what is available for 2nd level characters. Definitely interested in continuing the adventure.

I was never a fan of the NWN OC, but this prelude structured as a turn-based, party-based experience... I'd like to see this keep going.

Crichton

Prophet
Thanks for playing, Dorateen. It's a shame that the old bugbear in the cage is, well... bugged. If the convo worked and you'd passed the skill check, you might have gotten a nice item out of it. I'll look into this for the next release.

eXalted

Arcane
I downloaded your module and it really got me interested in the toolset. Will post some feedback soon. Really like the custom graphics.

I saw in it that there is a trait "Hard to Kill", is it available in the module itself?

Crichton

Prophet
I downloaded your module and it really got me interested in the toolset. Will post some feedback soon. Really like the custom graphics.

I saw in it that there is a trait "Hard to Kill", is it available in the module itself?

At the moment, each class gets two traits, one at level 1 and one at level 2 but the only original Iceblink hard-coded ones are cleave (fighter level 2), stealth and sneak attack (thief level 1 and two respectively). The others (like track or interrogation) are used for interacting with NPCs and objects. That may change in the future but I keep hoping that Iceblink will implement more flexibility in how traits are handed out. A the moment, players may choose from any available trait on level-up but they get a trait every level if there is one available. Since I'm planning on the campaign going from 1 to 10 or 12, that's a lot of traits to implement.

hrose

Educated
Just putting it here. If someone looks for a classic Forgotten Realm story of a very EPIC scope and that would surpass Baldur's Gate if made into a game, I suggest looking into "Northern Journey". It was a campaign made by fans that starts at level 1 and escalates to super epic bigness.

This one also starts in Neverwinter. I think it's probably one of the best campaigns ever written that no one plays because it's just too huge and complex.

If you want ideas there are plenty to be found there..

Deleted Member 16721

This is great stuff. I discovered IceBlink on Android about a year back when scouring the depths of Google Play. Played The Raventhal module and was impressed. Thought the engine has a lot of potential and it certainly seems that way after seeing this. Shout out to Mustawd for leading me here.

The module you've made here sort of reminds me of Realmz. Can I download the module and play on Android? I haven't set up the engine or anything on my PC yet. May end up working on an IceBlink module someday myself as it is right up my alley.

Crichton

Prophet
This is great stuff. I discovered IceBlink on Android about a year back when scouring the depths of Google Play. Played The Raventhal module and was impressed. Thought the engine has a lot of potential and it certainly seems that way after seeing this. Shout out to Mustawd for leading me here.

The module you've made here sort of reminds me of Realmz. Can I download the module and play on Android? I haven't set up the engine or anything on my PC yet. May end up working on an IceBlink module someday myself as it is right up my alley.

Fluent-

Dorateen would probably have a better idea, but I don't think this version of Iceblink (Iceblink 2) is on google play.

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
Just FYI, We (YN1 and I) are currently using Xamarin to bring both IceBlink (IBx) and IceBlinkBasic (IBbasic) to most all platforms...currently they are working for PC, UWP, Android, and iOS. IBbasic comes with an in-app toolset for creating modules and IBx uses a separate stand alone toolset only available for the PC.

Some early screenshots of the conversion (Still very much a W.I.P. needs lots of UI tweaking, but exciting that Xamarin is working):

UWP IBx:
file.php

Android (Samsung Note 3) IBx:
file.php

Android IBx:
file.php

UWP IBx:
file.php

iOS of IBbasic in-app toolset:
file.php

file.php

file.php

IBbasic UWP with placeholder Bard's Tale frame ;-) IBbasic has both a 3d view and 2d top down option for builders to use on each map
file.php

Crichton

Prophet
Creating Neverwinter from scratch has been slow going, particularly with me changing my mind constantly but there has been some progress (Also some kind of weird graphical artifact at the bottom of the screen on those outdoor screenies, have to look into that...)

WxT48z.png

VacRKB.png

YsMlDo.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom