Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Twitcher 3 is very far from the best written game ever

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Eredin is in fact the main problem. There are a lot of lines pronounced in the first trailers, that I believe there's been a huge stupid cut late into development.
Some of those lines were taken directly from TW1, but yeah, his entire character is a missed opportunity: not only does he share common history with both Ciri and Geralt, he also has clear motivations for his actions that the game never even tries to get deeper into nor expand upon. Surely you should be able to at least initiate dialogue with him, right?

TW3's narrative in general feels rather inconsistent when looking at different parts, areas and characters in the game. You've got Velen, where every notable character is flawed and tormented in some way, and from there you jump straight into Novigrad where bad guys are super bad, good guys are super good, and only a few characters (most notably Dijkstra) fall somewhere in between. In many places the game (like the books and the previous games) consciously avoids or subverts medieval fantasy clichés, but in the end the main quest pretty much embraces them and decides to solve things by having an epic battle or two. The Wild Hunt itself is a mash-up of different ideas and interpretations that doesn't work particularly well on any level. There's a bunch of minor inconsistencies that appear throughout the game, which are insignificant on their own but might be symptoms of a bigger issue. For instance, in one part of the game Geralt tells people to draw a line of salt at their doorsteps to keep ghosts at bay, yet later on in another quest he dismisses the same thing as pointless superstition. It feels like all of the writers weren't quite on the same page about the themes and how the world was supposed to work, that the game was written by several different writing teams but there was no strong-willed director to keep it all in check. To an extent you can understand it given the size of the game, but there's really no excuse for the main story of all things being such a mess.

2house2fly

Magister
to be fair Geralt was talking about a specific type of weird supernatural creature when he said people should put salt over the doors

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
to be fair Geralt was talking about a specific type of weird supernatural creature when he said people should put salt over the doors
I don't think it's made clear whether he's referring to the botchling or the wraiths that it might attract, but I'm too lazy to check out that particular line. It's a minor thing anyway.

Lhynn

Arcane
As i love different endings i feel for story reasons not everything should be given to player as choice.
This is one of those moments.

Everyone who plays strives to be THE best in everything. Get best gear, outcomes of sidequests etc.. They also expect by doing things in their view they should be rewarded with what they think is good thing like good ending.

In case of witcher 3 ending:

It would be much more interesting if you would get swallow ending if Ciri due to player actions in game learns that world is shit and playing hero is just child fantasy (which is something Geralt strongly believes). Thus making her more nihilistic and ultimately making her just not enter that tower. Focusing on NOW and PRESENT like people she know etc rather on nebulous FUTURE and END OF THE WORLD. Thus she spends rest of her life doing what the fuck she wants instead of being some greater being trying to save world.

On other hands actions n game that rewarded previously with swallow ending should get bad ending where she was pushed by Geralt to make her own choices and pushing her toward doom in fight with white frost.

In current form both endings are basically player egostroke and confusing lol i drunk with her thus bad ending !.

Which is why i think it would be better for it to have just one ending and bad one at that. From what i understand most of people either got swallow or empress and shitload of people didn't get swamp ending which is by far best of three and works way better for ending despite not being "nice"
Fuck that, i dont play games just so that at the end the game gets to tell me i lost.
I get that you understand that the developer should give the middle finger to the player because its thematically fitting, but i also believe that a player should be able to alter events to his advantage. Make it very hard if you want, but if you are going to dangle a carrot in front of the players face the whole journey just so that you get to eat it in front of him at the end, then fuck you.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I dunno, they were kind of right- in two out of the three endings, one of them doesn't die.
heh, yeah, I guess it's not "one" of them dying. :M

Still, Ciri can plainly live though.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

As i love different endings i feel for story reasons not everything should be given to player as choice.
This is one of those moments.

Everyone who plays strives to be THE best in everything. Get best gear, outcomes of sidequests etc.. They also expect by doing things in their view they should be rewarded with what they think is good thing like good ending.

In case of witcher 3 ending:

It would be much more interesting if you would get swallow ending if Ciri due to player actions in game learns that world is shit and playing hero is just child fantasy (which is something Geralt strongly believes). Thus making her more nihilistic and ultimately making her just not enter that tower. Focusing on NOW and PRESENT like people she know etc rather on nebulous FUTURE and END OF THE WORLD. Thus she spends rest of her life doing what the fuck she wants instead of being some greater being trying to save world.

On other hands actions n game that rewarded previously with swallow ending should get bad ending where she was pushed by Geralt to make her own choices and pushing her toward doom in fight with white frost.

In current form both endings are basically player egostroke and confusing lol i drunk with her thus bad ending !.

Which is why i think it would be better for it to have just one ending and bad one at that. From what i understand most of people either got swallow or empress and shitload of people didn't get swamp ending which is by far best of three and works way better for ending despite not being "nice"
Fuck that, i dont play games just so that at the end the game gets to tell me i lost.
I get that you understand that the developer should give the middle finger to the player because its thematically fitting, but i also believe that a player should be able to alter events to his advantage. Make it very hard if you want, but if you are going to dangle a carrot in front of the players face the whole journey just so that you get to eat it in front of him at the end, then fuck you.
The internet rage over rocks fall, everyone dies and the ME 3 ending should be proof enough that most people agree with you.

Zer0wing

Cipher
TW3's narrative
Is a result, or rather a mirror, of perturbations in staff. The other question is who put in charge not qualified enough personnel and let those inconsistencies and lousy 3rd act to exist.

Too bad since TW3 had all the chances to be the best RPG since Planescape: Torment.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm not a one-trick pony!

You're a zero trick pony afaic. Saying Kotor2 is the best written game and TW3 is very far below it is so off the mark I don't even.

I won't go into the weeds here, been there done that can't be fucked anymore but in short - Kotor2 is presenting you with what a good writer thinks is depth and moral ambiguity. TW3 shows you real depth and moral ambiguity.

As for story and quests - the main TW3 story is not very good but individual quests are among the best ever written. I'd say two or three of them are THE best. But that's exactly along the lines of the original Sapkowski's work. The short stories are one of the best fantasy short stories ever written but the novels are aimless and silly.

The general writing level of TW3 is very, very good, no argument there. Yet, I can't think of a single quest, in any RPG ever released, that can stand up to the Bloody Baron subquest, in terms of writing. I just wish the whole game revolved around that quest, rather than the other (mediocre, albeit very well-written) stuff its main plot revolves around.

TW3 is a HUGE game, and the quality of writing is uneven. However, the peaks are really, really good - especially if you limit your universe of analysis to games, which are mostly shit. Hearts of Stone is the highlight of the game for me, as well as the Baron questline from the main story.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I haven't played TW3 yet. Is the game any good?

Well, it's not really a game....more like a gorgeous, very well written open-world interactive movie.

Not it's both that and a game. It's just that it's not good at being a game so we play it for the story bits. Been the same case with entire series, really.

Somehow both W1 and W2 felt more gameplay-y. I guess I just liked the character system and itemization much more there (I HATED both in W3).

vota DC

Augur
previously good characters like Radovid and Roche are reduced to shadows of their former selves

Radovid is already a shadow king in first two games, great character, but as a king he lacks. Haven't played third game, but isn't he supposed to play a bigger role?

Des

Educated
Radovid is already a shadow king in first two games, great character, but as a king he lacks. Haven't played third game, but isn't he supposed to play a bigger role?

He has a bigger role, but his personality was butchered in Witcher 3. He is completely insane in this game.

Paul_cz

Arcane

He has a bigger role, but his personality was butchered in Witcher 3. He is completely insane in this game.
That's more like logical progression than butchering. And even his insanity was depicted very well, he was quite subdued in it.

Falksi

Arcane
I fucking hated my time with TW3. It was just dull as hell. Main gripes are:
1) the awful controls when walking/running;
2) the copy-paste areas, towns & villages which kill any real desire to explore;
3) the absolutely flat main quest, which felt amazingly chore like;
4) the lack of genuine choice in the dialogue;
5) the fact that so many hunts were so similar that they actually made hunting feel like a day in, day out, tiresome job;
6) the way the Wild Hunt starts off chasing you and proposing an ever present threat, yet you can do what you want at your leisure and they don't appear again for ages;
I loved TW2 and, whilst I can see there are plusses in TW3, I much preferred my time with The Assassin of Kings. TW3 let me down badly.

Is there a Witcher 3 combat mod that makes combat more graceful and elegant and less arcade-y looking? The way Geralt jumps around when dodging looks more like an insect than a man.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom