Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me a roguelike

Arnust

Savant
Some hat I haven't seen here are Risk of Rain and Nuclear Throne. Along FTL they are my fav roguelikes.

Do The Long Dark and Don't Starve count as RL? If so they are Survival Roguelikes. More a fan of the first as it's "The Revenant: The Game"

Can elaborate if interested.

There's Magicite and Roguelands and also Rogue Legacy is decent, didn't like it myself

RuySan

Augur
If we're takling about roguelike-likes, then Risk of Rain goes to the top of the list. That soundtrack is glorious.

Arnust

Savant
It has a high level of awesome indeed. Too bad that the devs have been swollen into the ground or something. The game is complete though.

eXalted

Arcane
Which roguelikes have best level design and encounter design ?
Brogue - https://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/home

It has maybe one of the best dungeon generators out there. The enemies are unique and pose interesting challenges. And also a lot of environment interaction. You can get a monster to mimic your movement and make him fall in lava, etc.

Edit: Oh, and Cogmind. Still haven't played it, but have been reading a lot of the author Dev Blog. He really knows what he is doing.

Last edited:

boot

Prophet
Faster Than Light > Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup >> Tales of Maj'Eyal

recently tried all 3, still playing FTL, haven't had this much fun with a game in a long time. I don't even like sci-fi/space.

Biggest problem with the game is the boss. You're told at the beginning that the objective is to run a message to the other side of the galaxy (or however far 7 sectors is), but once you get there you're forced to fight a monster ship that breaks all the rules. Not once but multiple times (no indication this would happen, at all), and it takes some good luck just to have the firepower to have a chance at winning. Fighting through bad luck with craftiness and balls just to get utterly wrecked at the end because you didn't have big guns feels like a waste of time.

Edit: Best way to win as the stock ship Type A (Kessel Runner) seems to be foregoing upgrades completely (except maaaybe the Blast Doors upgrade) and spending everything when you hit shops. Buy all the new systems, starting with the teleporter, then fill out your weapons. Upgrade the ship all the way at the end, don't spend anything on hull repairs unless you can't survive another combat encounter. I wouldn't buy crewmen or augments either, maybe the long-range scanner if your hull is in critical condition and you want to hold off repairs. Crashing and burning early is better than hitting the end boss and getting stuck in a stalemate.

Best way to win (with the Kessel Runner) seems to be upgrading engines to level 4 or 5 (last level before dodge starts to drop off), then getting shields to level 2 and upgrading your doors. After that you should be able to survive most things while hoarding scrap for the shops. I took drones before teleporter because I had no crew joining events until later on, also weapons selection in the shops was pitiful. I came across plenty but at the end I was using the starting weapons, the weakest Ion Cannon, and a crappy beam weapon I only picked up right before the final encounter. I winged it by using 2 anti-ship drones to help pierce shields but the boss fight was very close and I only barely pulled it off.

This wasn't a very lucky or perfectly played run at all. I lost 4 crew members in a row at the end (they weren't manning any equipment, though) and spent a bit replacing them, but I managed to pull it off. Some runs are doomed for failure but you can pull through without too much luck I think. Upgrade the engines and you have a shot.

So, very fun game. I like how hectic the late game fights get. The different ships are more straightforward, they have well defined strengths and all you really have to do is build on them, can see myself getting bored. The differing weaknesses of the layouts and starting crews are interesting to work with, though.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom