Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community For Balance: Codex Pillars of Eternity 2 fundraiser continues

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

The Fig campaign for Josh Sawyer's pirate pet RPG Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire may have ended and collected over $4,4 million in funding -- but our campaign continues. As we're donating via PayPal, this campaign will run until March 11th.

What will it be: an NPC ($1,500), a super-pet ($2,000; or perhaps an NPC plus a regular pet?), maybe even a pirate party or inn ($5,000) or, heck, Josh Sawyer strip tease private party​ ($10,000; DU will film this and make it digitally available to all our backers!)​? (Note: actual strip tease may or may not happen, depending on how lucky DU gets.)

In the final Obsidian PoE2 live stream at the end of the Fig campaign, Bobby Null challenged us to raise $5,000 for the pirate party. Can we make it?!

15484.png

Pictured: the impossible Codex pirate ship (credits to @existential_vacuum)

All that is up to you. All that, plus rpgcodex.net in the credits for some additional butthurt.

All rewards from our fundraiser are digital only. No physical stuff to be had here. But here's what your donation can get you:

$29+: gets you a Digital Key
$45+: gets you Premium Digital
$65+: gets you Ultimate Digital
$99+: gets you Early Access + Credits
(see the campaign page for detailed descriptions)

You can also get add-ons (digital only!) if you donate the required extra amount (but only on top of at least the basic $29 digital tier).
See this Fig update for a full list of add-ons on offer. The most interesting one is probably the season pass ($20).​

You can donate here. That link also has the campaign description (with the same details). Also check out the FAQ in the first comment to this post.​

Naturally, at some point after the fundraiser, we're going to do a contest/voting to decide what the in-game Codex content is going to be exactly. Should be fun. (For the duration of the Codex fundraiser and contest, fun is temporarily allowed.)

Donate all your monies here. As mentioned, this will run until March 11 (Australian time, I assume).

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
FAQ

1. Can I get just an add-on or two separately (without donating for a game key)?

Unfortunately no. That'd be too much hassle for both us and Obsidian. So, donate at least $29 for the basic digital key, then donate for any add-ons you want. (This doesn't, of course, have to be two separate donations. Just make sure you get the amount correctly.) We'll ask you what exactly you donated for after the fundraiser is over.

2. Will I get access to the backer portal?

There is a chance that you will. We haven't discussed this with Obsidian in detail yet, but from we gathered, that may be possible. After our fundraiser is over, we will pass your email and existing backer portal username (if you have one) over to Adam Brennecke so Obsidian can hook you up if that proves to be technically possible.

3. Will Obsidian be able to combine my pledges here and on Fig?

No idea. Maybe? I assume that will in part depend on the answer to question 2 above, and also that sounds like too much hassle -- but you can reach out to Obsidian support after this is over (and we have told them your username and how much you donated) and try to make this happen if you care. No guarantees from our side though.

So it's better that you just consider this a separate campaign for Kwality Kodex Kontent in-game + slacker Codexian backers/extra keys and digital stuff.

Aenra

I want to see DU in a one-piece swimsuit recording Sawyer while he strips, some tropical tune playing in the background.
My life will then be complete.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I want to see DU in a one-piece swimsuit recording Sawyer while he strips, some tropical tune playing in the background.
My life will then be complete.

I bet if you put in $8K the rest of the codex will scrounge up the last $600 to make this dream a reality.

Sentinel

Arcane
If you truly lust after all our shekels, you should mention that Bobby Null called out the Codex in the last stream and publicly shamed the site in front of 2k people for not getting that pirate party.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you truly lust after all our shekels, you should mention that Bobby Null called out the Codex in the last stream and publicly shamed the site in front of 2k people for not getting that pirate party.
Exactly. Now all of you go and pledge, protect our honour.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Exactly. Now all of you go and pledge, protect our honour.

more like all of you go and withdraw your pledges

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We reached one of the goals. On to the next one.

Are guys going to let NeoGAF get their own island and not the Codex? I'm shamed and dishonored.

Last edited:

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Can I retract my Fig and dump it into the Codex raiser?

EDIT: Too late since it succeeded. :outrage:

ArchAngel

Arcane
NeoFAG are getting an island?!
Apparently they raised 5.000 bucks. What a fucking shame for the 'dex.
The shame for 'Dex was having 7 fucking PoE reviews while 1 Underrail was 1 year later.

If some idiotic site wants to give 5000$ to snake oil salesmen, I say let them.
You and the rest of idiots like you are just 5th column trying to decline 'Dex as well.

Sentinel

Arcane
NeoFAG are getting an island?!
Apparently they raised 5.000 bucks. What a fucking shame for the 'dex.
The shame for 'Dex was having 7 fucking PoE reviews while 1 Underrail was 1 year later.

If some idiotic site wants to give 5000$ to snake oil salesmen, I say let them.
You and the rest of idiots like you are just 5th column trying to decline 'Dex as well.
Underrail is shit so there's nothing wrong with that.

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
I was one of the players that really enjoyed PoE on release and finished the vanilla game without DLC. After the Codex panning it and giving me a lens through which to assist me in explaining why I wasn't as fulfilled with PoE as I was with BG2, I could never pick it up and play it again to try the White March DLCs. I always knew I would back a PoE2 project, and I went in for about half my investment as the first time. It feels like I was a part of resurrecting an entire sub genre when I backed the first time. Now I'm just paying more money for a sequel I know will be made with or without my backing.

I'm not thinking about PoE2 when I'm backing it. I'm thinking about the possibility of a game coming out in the future that is that perfect blend that makes a game priceless. I believe if you want these types of games to continue being made, you have to vote with your wallet. You may rage against the dying of the light with one particular title, and it might not even be worth the cost at 25% of your pledge, but you have to decide this whether my investment into this genre of game EVER bring me the game that is worth the thousands of dollars I've spent trying to get that fifty hour experience of pure boner inducing CRPG goodness? If the answer is yes, I think you need to donate, even if you think this game is going to come out pretty shitty.

I'm definitely no economist or businessman, but I believe the realistic viability of EVER getting a game that we love as much as the classics of yore depends on the financial success of the games being produced right now.

I would have paid $2000 back in the day for a copy of Baldur's Gate 1 before I played it, but I paid about $40 at release for the giant box and the six CD's. Fallout I had no idea existed when I saw that on shelves at my local mall. Just browsing the box, I realized that that this game is kinda like Wasteland (my favorite game at the time), and I went off and pirated it the old fashioned way. I rolled a critical on my pickpocket skill and just shoplifted the fuck out of that thing. So I personally believe I'm still ahead dollar value per hour of enjoyment had, with paying $40 for two of the titles I've had the most fun with in my entire life. I would pay someone $5000 right now to wipe my memory and allow me to play those games again for the first time.

Of course I'm a happily employed in a relatively safe job (booze and gambling) so a long term investment is something I can think about. It's a personal decision for everyone, but the better these things do, the better chance we have to get the needle in the haystack.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
If Obsidian promise to change combat system into turn based I give 100$ right away and help you get your island dex

And I give a 100 more if they promise they don't bother with RtwP's nonsense anymore.

200$ is not big but I bet there are thousands who would do the same. I don't bother opening my Tyranny's last save because I have to raise my character's levels and I couldn't care less about what new talent to give them. I guess any passive will do, so I won't have to bother with those cool down sheisseu.

Last edited:

aratuk

Cipher
Rather than directly contribute the money we've raised to the Deadfire fundraiser, I think we should use the money to assist Obsidian in a more important, meaningful, and long-lasting way. With all of the money they've raised to fund the production of their next game, Obsidian still doesn't have what it needs to address a longstanding issue that I know has been troubling to many of us here at the Codex: the issue of Obsidian's diversity.

We could use this money to hire White Men as Full Diversity Partners, to guide Obisidian to examine their assumptions and unconscious bias by heightening awareness about the often invisible dimensions of difference. We could help Obsidian more fully see and understand their culture, and its impact on themselves and others.

Wouldn't that be more beneficial to all of us than a pirate party or an inn?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom