Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #18: Ship Crew Stretch Goal, Final Hours

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

The Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Fig campaign hit $4M of funding this morning, unlocking the New Ship Types stretch goal, and the next one at $4.25M looks like a sure thing. A couple of hours ago Obsidian started their final day Twitch stream, and with less than six hours left on the clock, they've published a new Fig update announcing a stretch goal for $4.5M. If the campaign manages to reach that amount, they'll add a ship crew management aspect to the game, which is something that a number of people have requested.

What can we say to our fans, backers, and investors to express our gratitude for your incredible support for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire? You've exceeded all of our expectations -- and there's still time to take this campaign even higher! At more than $4 million in funding, we're closing in rapidly on our $4.25 million stretch goal of the talking, intelligent weapon for Pillars II, and having seen some of the initial ideas the team came up with for this, we want you to know: it will be... freakin'... cool!

However, we also wanted to reveal our next stretch goal at $4.5 million, since -- amazingly -- there's a real possibility we'll reach that before the end of the campaign today! We racked our brains and came up with something we think you're going to love:

Ship Crews

Ships alone are pretty awesome, of course, and customizing your ship is even more awesome -- but what about being able to hire and manage the crew of your ship? For the $4.5 million stretch goal, we are introducing just that! Find, hire, and manage a crew for your ship. Once hired, crew members can be assigned roles on the ship, and will play a role in the events and battles that you encounter at sea. Crew members can gain experience and improve at their roles over time. The crew's skills will improve how effective your ship is in combat situations, and the crew can be assigned to defend your ship in the case that you get boarded by a hostile force. If your crew's morale isn't maintained, their effectiveness will go down, and, if you are a truly terrible captain to them, mutiny can even occur. We are also introducing crew dilemmas that will allow you to take charge and be the captain when they look to you for guidance!

Livestream/AMA

Our Livestream on Twitch is broadcasting as you read this, so come check it out! And don't forget that our AMA starts on Reddit at noon Pacific (8 PM GMT), so if you're a Redditor, head over there and come ask the team some questions!

Thanks to everyone for helping to expand and deepen Pillars II and to get us this far! Let's work together to make one, final push!
It's going to take a serious push to reach that goal, but let's see what happens. I think this campaign has already exceeded a lot of people's expectations.

almondblight

Arcane
However, we also wanted to reveal our next stretch goal at $4.5 million, since -- amazingly -- there's a real possibility we'll reach that before the end of the campaign today!

Hah. "This isn't like our bullshit $5 million stretch goal...we might be able to actually make this one!"

Though I do wonder what the idea between the $5 million stretch goal is. Maybe "Unfortunately, we weren't able to include Ydwin in the base game. But never fear, we heard your feedback and since there's such a strong desire for her, we've decided to include her in the expansion!"

Gecos

Learned
However, we also wanted to reveal our next stretch goal at $4.5 million, since -- amazingly -- there's a real possibility we'll reach that before the end of the campaign today!

Hah. "This isn't like our bullshit $5 million stretch goal...we might be able to actually make this one!"

Though I do wonder what the idea between the $5 million stretch goal is. Maybe "Unfortunately, we weren't able to include Ydwin in the base game. But never fear, we heard your feedback and since there's such a strong desire for her, we've decided to include her in the expansion!"

Paraphrasing Josh Sawyer from the Twitch Q&A ongoing right now, they did set the $5M 8th companion goal to be very very hard to achieve because writing full companions with personal quests, relationships & everything else is a pain in the ass.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
But more money. Which might be a good thing because it means they can sell it at full price to more people later, if it's mostly just crowdfunding fatigue/distrust of fig/less press than the original campaign. Or a bad thing if people really did think it was a bad game and aren't inclined to back a sequel. But Pillars was fairly well received amongst the masses so I think it's mostly the former.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
40.000 backers less than PoE1 and TToN? Bloody hell..

Well you have to keep in mind during those kickstarters isometric RPG's were thought to be dead so the developers had the benefit of nostalgia. Now people have much more realistic expectations of what they are going to get instead of thinking they can relive the 1990's.

almondblight

Arcane
You also have to keep in mind that it's Fig. Unless I'm mistaken, this is by far the most successful campaign in Fig history.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom