Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization V

Gord

Arcane
What's the Codex Consensus (tm) on Civ V?
Is it worth paying 9 bucks for the complete edition or should I stay with Civ 4 if I ever feel the itch again?

5 with expansions and a shitfuckton of mods is a bearable game.
civ4 + all the stuff you know easily pisses on its head.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Gord I recommend Civ 4 with Realism Invictus SVN. If you have a good PC the worldmap scenarios are a real treat to play at Monarch+.

Nahel

Arcane
Realism Invictus or Fall for Heaven 2 make CIV 4 a winner easily. And even the base game is a lot better than 5. I bought 5 at release and it was one of my biggest disappointment of all times, with dragon age 2.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I like the strategy view in Civ 5, exactly what I was looking for in a Civ game since Civ 1 (top down perspective and no bullshit). Never played the Civ 5 base game, only with all the expansions.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played strategic view a lot in Civ 5, too. It made the game run so much faster, and everything was super clear.

OWcWTKg.png

For Civ 6, they decided that hexes shouldn't have straight edges, and it makes it much harder for me to tell what's going on. I might just be getting old, but I liked the very clear, bold edges on the hexes in 5.

sv-jpg.458495

Grif

Learned
Is it me, or that UI for Civ 6 seems absolutely cluttered? Numbers, bright colours, random symbols and shit everywhere, and nowhere to tell what's important. Reeks of Web 2.0 design. And lmao, that big ass NEXT TURN button that takes up like 5% of the available screen. Even V had a better arranged interface.

Wintermute

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Noticed a Civ bundle on humble bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/civilization-bundle
Am going for Civ3+4 for $1. Have both but not on Steam.
Is it worth $7.58 more for Civ 5 + DLCs? Are there any other necessary Civ 5 DLCs besides those listed there? (Gods+Kings, Brave New World, DLC Pack?)
Do know better than to spend a cent on Beyond Earth.
Thanks.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It depends on your taste. If you think that Civ4 is the best ever, you will probably not like the changes. For me, Civ5 with DLC's is the best one.

civ5 + dlcs + shitload of mods is a bearable game. anything less than that is utter garbage.
also there are no total conversions like dune wars or fall from heaven because, as already said, civ5 + dlcs is utter garbage.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Noticed a Civ bundle on humble bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/civilization-bundle
Is it worth $7.58 more for Civ 5 + DLCs? Are there any other necessary Civ 5 DLCs besides those listed there? (Gods+Kings, Brave New World, DLC Pack?)
Thanks.

Short answer, yes. Civ5+ is a p. good game. Sure mods help, but BNV made it turn out alright. Despite the rose tinted fanboys, it's on par with Civ4(except for the modding scene, but meh). The sad thing is both Civ4/5 get some things right and some things wrong, which makes you think "well dang, what if they...." once you look closely at either. None of the other DLCS are necessary/matter, btw, though if you can get the other Civs as a giveaway/part of a bundle they are fun.

Civ6 kinda blows right now, imo, but after some expansions and patches I'm sure it will be fine too. Except they can't patch out the fucking awful graphics palette.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thanks.
Civ5 sucks and misses the point of a Civ game imo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom