Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[POLL] How do you feel about buttons?

How do you feel about buttons?

• Bring them back, they added a much needed something something etc...

Votes: 184 44.9%
  • I liked them, but am concerned about Forum performance issues - can this be resolved?

Votes: 43 10.5%
  • Keep them away please.

Votes: 140 34.1%
  • Comrade of Kings

Votes: 43 10.5%

• Total voters

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The biggest problems with the buttons IMO are that they're:

1) Semantically muddled. Are they for-the-lulz memes or are they a serious way of communicating?
2) Aesthetically an eyesore.

You know what could be fun? An MPC-style upvote/downvote system, where very highly or poorly rated posts get marked with amusing animated GIFs.

Mech

Cipher
BUTTONS WILL LIVE OR DIE BASED ON THESE RESULTS
It being the reason in itself; explaining. We get a button parade and it results to a rainbow (pun intended) of ratings. Not even a third of which are followed by actual posts. No explaining, no discussion. Just buttans. It's fun for a short while, but i really think it's detrimental if prolongued.

To be fair, I don't think my shit posts needs further explanations, so the buttons work quite well.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Hovering over them is inevitable if you move the mouse in that area to do something else.
:butthurt:

Would you like DarkUnderlord to make a custom option for you to hide the buttons then? Would that make you feel better? Ratings/buttons would be invisible to you and you wouldn't recieve notifications, but the rest of us could see them.

A perfect put up or shut up option for the forum to see who really doesn't like buttons and who really is just butthurt about them.

I'm betting that won't be enough for you tho. Because the real issue isn't aesthetics or notifications, but you being butthurt that people on the internet can easily mock you with the click of a button.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Semantically muddled. Are they for-the-lulz memes or are they a serious way of communicating?
Some of them are outright useless like "it was aliens", while others are extremely useful. The problem of bloating was also real. We need a vote on 15 most needed buttons and that's it. No more.

tormund

Arcane
Then there’s another way. Kill by laughter. Laughter is an instrument of human joy. Learn to use it as a weapon of destruction. Turn it into a sneer. It’s simple. Tell them to laugh at everything. Tell them that a sense of humour is an unlimited virtue. Don’t let anything remain sacred in a man’s soul – and his soul won’t be sacred to him. Kill reverence and you’ve killed the hero in man. One doesn’t reverence with a giggle. He’ll obey and he’ll set no limits to obedience – anything goes – nothing is too serious.

ArchAngel

Arcane
BUTTONS WILL LIVE OR DIE BASED ON THESE RESULTS
It being the reason in itself; explaining. We get a button parade and it results to a rainbow (pun intended) of ratings. Not even a third of which are followed by actual posts. No explaining, no discussion. Just buttans. It's fun for a short while, but i really think it's detrimental if prolongued.

To be fair, I don't think my shit posts needs further explanations, so the buttons work quite well.
bethestard.png

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It really is an aesthetic thing for me mainly. Every single time I come on here there is a new one. It seems immature really. How many of you are out of high school is what I am asking myself now.

Just seems like a circlejerk. I'm used to people not agreeing with me - it isn't butt hurt. Having an opinion that Fallout 3 is shit is enough for most people to tune me out in the real world and I'm fine with that. It just seems like the quality around here went down a little bit. What if they were confined only to General Discussion and Politics?

Assuming I feel otherwise makes you look like a douche really.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The funniest thing so far is how many people take ratings seriously enough to have an argument over why they should remain/be removed.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It seems immature really. How many of you are out of high school is what I am asking myself now.
If you wanted mature stuff, you probably shouldn't be interested in video games about elves and stuff. Grow up already.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fun thread. I particularly liked how Lurker King was mad about people rating his posts shit/retarded instead of arguing with him and then said he was no longer posting in this thread because people were arguing with him.

Weasel
The funniest thing so far is how many people take ratings seriously enough to have an argument over why they should remain/be removed.

It seems they've come a long way since the 48hr trolls DU started with, bet he's smirking down under.... the worst was probably the time he introduced just the agenda and parrot though.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
IMO, people who go overboard with gifs should be given tags, not "buttons, so they don't have to post memes". Anyone with the argument "better give me buttons or I'll post memes" has revealed himself as a retarded dipshit. Congratulations.

Anyone too bothered with buttons can always use uBlock or AdBlock to block them. The downside is that they'll still be visible on your mobile devices, where their effect is the worst really.

I like the idea of buttons DLC. That way I won't have them and I'll block them for everyone who was dumb enough to have paid for them
:happytrollboy:

It really is an aesthetic thing for me mainly. Every single time I come on here there is a new one. It seems immature really. How many of you are out of high school is what I am asking myself now.
No, I think you're a liar. Otherwise you'd be on-board with my suggestion to have a setting that hides buttons for the button haters.

Instead you want to ban buttons from every forum you personally frequent and offer the others as some sort of concession? Dude, you couldn't be more transparent. You just don't like people rating your posts negatively.
It just seems like the quality around here went down a little bit. What if they were confined only to General Discussion and Politics?
The quality of posts should go up with buttons, not down. The quantity of posts is what is decreased.

I think any lack of quality posts in GRPG has more to do with the slew of garbage games released in the past few years. That and the shitshow kickstarters. You've got Mass Effect 4 coming up and you're expecting a lot of quality, thoughtful posts on that shit? Get real.

btw, first is' "mainly aesthetics", but in the same post now it's quality? Make up your mind.
I think the douche is the one arguing against buttons because of butthurt and then blaming it on "aesthetics".

Last edited by a moderator:

ArchAngel

Arcane
As we all know, the Codex is a democracy and we value the input of our members. So take this opportunity to vote in our button poll.

BUTTONS WILL LIVE OR DIE BASED ON THESE RESULTS.
You need to market this topic if you want real results. You cannot expect most of 'Dex members to come to Site Feedback when they notice buttons missing. By hiding this you can expect to have here more people that want them back, they will care more to investigate where they disappeared.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
No, I think you're a liar. Otherwise you'd be on-board with my suggestion to have a setting that hides buttons for the button haters.

Instead you want to ban buttons from every forum you personally frequent and offer the others as some sort of concession? Dude, you couldn't be more transparent. You just don't like people rating your posts negatively.
Just seems like a circlejerk. I'm used to people not agreeing with me - it isn't butt hurt. Having an opinion that Fallout 3 is shit is enough for most people to tune me out in the real world and I'm fine with that. It just seems like the quality around here went down a little bit. What if they were confined only to General Discussion and Politics?
The quality of posts should go up with buttons, not down. The quantity of posts is what is decreased.

I think any lack of quality posts in GRPG has more to do with the slew of garbage games released in the past few years. That and the shitshow kickstarters. You've got Mass Effect 4 coming up and you're expecting a lot of quality, thoughtful posts on that shit? Get real.

btw, first is' "mainly aesthetics", but in the same post now it's quality? Make up your mind.
I think the douche is the one arguing against buttons because of butthurt and then blaming it on "aesthetics".

I said mainly correct? So it can be both but mainly one. Douche. For the record the button suggestion is halfway there, but you're still a faggot for implying I care if any of you upvote or downvote me. From some of you a downvote is a compliment.

Severian Silk

IMO, people who go overboard with gifs should be given tags, not "buttons, so they don't have to post memes". Anyone with the argument "better give me buttons or I'll post memes" has revealed himself as a retarded dipshit. Congratulations.

Anyone too bothered with buttons can always use uBlock or AdBlock to block them. The downside is that they'll still be visible on your mobile devices, where their effect is the worst really.

I like the idea of buttons DLC. That way I won't have them and I'll block them for everyone who was dumb enough to have paid for them
:happytrollboy:
Use Tapatalk. No buttons.

I said mainly correct? So it can be both but mainly one. Douche.
Yeah, but then you said it "just", as in "only", "seems like the quality around here went down a little bit."

If you said it "also" seemed like the quality had gone down a little bit, maybe you'd have a point. But maybe you are just too dumb to phrase a sentence correctly, so I'll skip over this.
For the record the button suggestion is halfway there, but you're still a faggot for implying I care if any of you upvote or downvote me.
lol, how is it "halfway there"? What would "all the way there" look like to you as far as my suggestion goes?

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom