Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[POLL] How do you feel about buttons?

How do you feel about buttons?

• Bring them back, they added a much needed something something etc...

Votes: 184 44.9%
  • I liked them, but am concerned about Forum performance issues - can this be resolved?

Votes: 43 10.5%
  • Keep them away please.

Votes: 140 34.1%
  • Comrade of Kings

Votes: 43 10.5%

• Total voters

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Instead of bothering to write a post they have the instant gratification of downrating someone just to show their passive agressiveness to you. Before, at least half of this people won't bother to voice their opinions because they have nothing to say. Now they can say something stupid without any work. They can just click in one image to show how much they dislike you.
Your problem is that you need to "shut down" anyone who disagrees with you, and when they just button your post, you go into some rage mode internally. Just let it go. The problem is in you, not in everyone else, see.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
They downrate a post, become resented, and keep hunting the past posts of that person to down rate them. It encourages pettiness and coward behavior. We have seeing people posting pics of this, time and again. At one time one idiot, whose name I don’t remember, even use a fucking algorithm to down rate all my posts in one go. That’s how idiotic this place is becoming. Shit slinging show for adults with teenagers’ complex instead of a space to discuss cRPGs. You must be living in the fucking moon if you didn't notice how stupid it is to have posters shoving the passive agressive bulshit on your face when all you want is to discuss cRPGs.
You get a lot of shit because you throw a lot of shit yourself. I don't.

And what do you care about idiots? Boohoohoo someone made an algorithm to rate me badly. Grow up. Learn to fucking laugh. Learn distance. If buttons can teach you that, why, great! It's a community service!

That's not the point. This system encourages passive agressive bulshit and laziness that fucks the whole experience of the place. In the old system, if you disagree with someone, you need to write a post because this is like a forum? Now, you don't need to bother to post, you can just down rate everything that person posted. I miss the gold old days when shitposters bother to post. Now they can just downrate everyone they disagree with it to show how mediocre they are.
My experience is great. Maybe we're not playing the same game?
I'm going to explain this again. Before we had posts, now we have posts and ratings even where we wouldn't have posts. People still explain their disagreements. But if they rate and don't explain, do you really believe they would have if there was no way to rate? We rate more than we post, naturally. I've rated more since buttons than I've posted in 12 years. But me rating more didn't make me post less, I've posted more since then.

Parabalus

Arcane
At least give the buttons back to the Trump or Politics forums, it's not the same anymore without the Deus Vult.

And what do you care about idiots? Boohoohoo someone made an algorithm to rate me badly. Grow up. Learn to fucking laugh. Learn distance. If buttons can teach you that, why, great! It's a community service!

My experience is great. Maybe we're not playing the same game?
I'm going to explain this again. Before we had posts, now we have posts and ratings even where we wouldn't have posts. People still explain their disagreements. But if they rate and don't explain, do you really believe they would have if there was no way to rate? We rate more than we post, naturally. I've rated more since buttons than I've posted in 12 years. But me rating more didn't make me post less, I've posted more since then.

Lurker King is just happy his drivel won't be rated as retarded anymore.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Your problem is that you need to "shut down" anyone who disagrees with you, and when they just button your post, you go into some rage mode internally. Just let it go. The problem is in you, not in everyone else, see.

Let me explain something to you. It’s really basic. You are engaging in a discussion about X. Someone says that X is Y. You think he is wrong, because Z. You explain to that person why Z is the best explanation. The person accuse you wanting to shut down everyone who thinks different because you bother to explain why Z is the best explanation, instead of downrate that person’s argument to show how close-minded you are.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I know I'm not regular poster, but I lurk here a lot, and I stopped coming by as much because of all the faggot button shit. Jesus fucking Christ it looks so much better. Much less derp I wager. Oh my God you actually have to express why you like or dislike something now!? OUTRAGEOUS! If you really want to use the buttons use them like you would a gif. This isn't fucking Twitter or Fuckbook. To think that the most infamous RPG forum in existence is more concerned with buttons than monocled CRPG debate...

So now we are expressing ourselves more with buttons instead of using our big boy words? Who gives a fuck if you don't like what I say, or think I'm edgy, or butthurt, or funny, or a faggot, or a Trump supporter, or can't spell, wear a tinfoil hat, or bring about incline/decline? Seems like an ego thing really. If you can't tell if something is retarded or not without a button you need to rethink your life.

Funny how some of the ones arguing we should keep the buttons double post like fucking faggots too.

Cool name

Arcane
I think that the inflation of meaning due to the overwhelming number of possible ratings actually counters hivemind behavior. You may care if your post gets brofisted by some guys but do you care if your post gets one salute, one prosper, two funny, three parrots, two agendas and three agrees?

That is particularly true for the statistics. Brofist counts seem particularly important to many people but once you got 20 odd ratings its really irrelevant how much of anything you have aquired.
this is 100% true, ppl seem to take brofists way more srs than the buttons because they're less inherently ridiculous, which causes more circlejerky faggotry

I get people who like ratings, I get people who want it all removed, but ppl who like fists and hate ratings are pure decline. there's no legitimate reason to actually like fists if you dislike ratings, except maybe performance if you browse on a potato.

fixed 2 posts:
I remember people were annoyed every time the button parade week brofisting was in. Did the codex really decline so badly overall that they cannot live without awesome buttons anymore? Buttons Brofists aren't stats and C&C, buttons brofists are stuff to press to make you feel good, I bet y'all play Dragon Age 2 and Fallout 4 all day long.

Also tbh I take a reply with a funny gif over a boring rating brofist anytime :P
I've a compromise. Since there's so many that like Awesome Buttons like the Biodrones that they are, then allow buttons brofists ONLY in the Bioware and perhaps the Bethesda sections.

This way everyone will be happy. Codex will be cleared from the filth and the monkeys can defecate button excreta on fist each other in the relevant forums.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

I got a lot of shit because I say a lot of controversial stuff about controversial topics instead of agreeing with most people and siting on the fence.

So now we are expressing ourselves more with buttons instead of using our big boy words? Who gives a fuck if you don't like what I say, or think I'm edgy, or butthurt, or funny, or a faggot, or a Trump supporter, or can't spell, wear a tinfoil hat, or bring about incline/decline? Seems like an ego thing really. If you can't tell if something is retarded or not without a button you need to rethink your life.

Exactly. It allows you to shitpost without posting. I think this is so insidious that should be called something else, maybe shithinting? I don’t know. In the future, people will be allowed to show how petty they are without clicking. It will be a fucking nightmare.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The problem is with the system that corrupts people
If mere buttons corrupt you then you deserve to be corrupted.

In order to make yourself heard, you need to play by this circus’ rules. Before you just need to read and post, now you need to know who dowrated what, etc. It’s a bunch of nonsense.
Good God! Are you hearing yourself?

You're so heard you've got a tag.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
This is what the Codex has become:

n0jeD6F.png

a cut of domestic sheep prime

MUH TRUMP BUTTONS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

1oAvO7S.gif

48842f40-17b2-4fcf-953f-1205fe15aa43

Last edited by a moderator:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
You must be living in the fucking moon if you didn't notice how stupid it is to have posters shoving the passive agressive bulshit on your face when all you want is to discuss cRPGs.
You're probably one of the most aggressive posters on the codex and you're complaining about people being passive aggressive? :lol:

I think that's your real problem, you're afraid the toxicity may go down just a little and you don't like that. You want it hardcore. "The experience" as you say.
Oh FFS. You're the living proof that buttons are damaging. You have nothing to say of substance and taking away buttons removes your ability to moon people.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem is with the system that corrupts people and make them even stupider then what they were.
And you think removing button will make them smart? :lol: If they don't bother to post to begin with, they wont post even without button. The best you would get out of this is shit post and post containing some shit meme or smilies. If you think this will make discussion more fluid then you are retarded.

And talking about being juvenile idiot, brofist also reinforces shitposting behavior. Maybe you are not retarded enough to be one, but shitpost, one line meme, random pic are among the post with highest brofist rate. Having only brofist as a system will only result in increase of those post. Arguably this is worst in making people idiot than button because people are rewarded for wasting time posting some shit .gif as response instead of just pressing one button and get on with the thread.

This is what the Codex has become:
But he did argue with you on the fucking thread faggot. Him rating your post retarded didn't make him stop arguing with you about AoD. Or are your skin so thin you can't take it that people rate your post with anything but brofist?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Is it really hard to post a fuckiing gif or jpg? Is that how lazy we have become? Low effort shit posting at it's finest.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Lurker King You really need a SAFE SPACE tag, how did toro get one instead of you?

I've been spam retardoed too, why do morons like that guy bother you? Just ignore him and move on. The buttons add nuance which just the fist doesn't have.

It's not be about me, you idiot. It's about the experience of posting in this place. Look what this system is making to people. Everyone is doing this.

Parabalus

Arcane
Is it really hard to post a fuckiing gif or jpg? Is that how lazy we have become? Low effort shit posting at it's finest.

But that makes threads harder to read. There is one quality post and a bunch of "NICE, YOU ROCK, PEPE" posts instead of just ratings at the bottom. Just take a look at any thread after the button parade was axed.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The lack of buttons will possibly exacerbate megathread culture, i.e. even more low-content posts.

Then again I suppose there might just be one person posting a smiley in response to a post and everyone will just brofist that.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Oh FFS. You're the living proof that buttons are damaging. You have nothing to say of substance and taking away buttons removes your ability to moon people.
By your own logic, if there were buttons, I wouldn't be saying any of that stuff and would just rate posts silently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom