Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[POLL] How do you feel about buttons?

How do you feel about buttons?

• Bring them back, they added a much needed something something etc...

Votes: 184 44.9%
  • I liked them, but am concerned about Forum performance issues - can this be resolved?

Votes: 43 10.5%
  • Keep them away please.

Votes: 140 34.1%
  • Comrade of Kings

Votes: 43 10.5%

• Total voters

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I remember people were annoyed every time the button parade week was in. Did the codex really decline so badly overall that they cannot live without awesome buttons anymore? Buttons aren't stats and C&C, buttons are stuff to press to make you feel good, I bet y'all play Dragon Age 2 and Fallout 4 all day long.

Also tbh I take a reply with a funny gif over a boring rating anytime :P

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've a compromise. Since there's so many that like Awesome Buttons like the Biodrones that they are, then allow buttons ONLY in the Bioware and perhaps the Bethesda sections.

This way everyone will be happy. Codex will be cleared from the filth and the monkeys can defecate button excreta on each other in the relevant forums.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
No, it means that posters will gravitate towards posting things that they think other people will like, as opposed to being an unrepentant fuckwit with genuine opinions.

But you have more incentives to repeat everyone else in this new system. You have both the possibility of earning postive ratings if you say things people want to hear AND the expectance of receiving negative results if you disagree with anyone else. So if your line of reasoning is that we should adopt buttons parade because it make people less intimidated by others, you didn't think this through. At least in the old system you didn't receive negative rating for saying something unpopular.

I don't really care when people rate my posts shit, so your logic falters there.

You are not representive. 7 out of 10 posters will behave like this. You are also ignoring that this systen encourages passive agressive behavior and lazyness. Instead of posting and explaining why you disagree with someone you can just rate "I disagree", and leave at that. You have less quality content, and more passive agressive behavior, not less.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
That's called slavery. What's the use of free speech if you are too afraid to use it?

That's called coercion. What's the use of free speech on the internet if people don't know how to use it? Not that the old system would really encourage this, mind you.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That button system of yours was a perfect way to damage this community's already low quality of discourse, in that people didn't feel obliged to answer or challenge posts they disagreed with. They could just add scathing rating to them. And if someone knew that he was only going to be burred in such rating if he wrote something that contrasted the consensus in any given thread, he would just refrain from writing anything.
You're an idiot.

People don't just rate things instead of answering. When they wouldn't have said anything anyways, they button and forget. But if they have something to say you can be sure they button and reply. Threads are as long as ever, and arguments and insults continue to flow. Only with buttons people get a bit more involved into what's being said.

Also, the discourse doesn't become lower quality because buttons are used. Quality might even be better, because you can use a button instead of shitposting. Most people who give negative ratings and don't reply would've instead shitposted if there was no other way to express their disagreement. I'd rather a button than a series of shitposts about how the other's shitposting contains no actual argument to justify disagreement.

Finally, if you censure yourself because of how others perceive you, you don't have a spine and the Codex is not where you should be. GTFO if you can't stand the "heat" of being potentially rated badly with a button.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I voted against them but I will admit there were cases where the choice of button reactions to posts made me laugh.
Ofcourse the same result would have been possible with snarky remarks of the same context I guess

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Instead of posting and explaining why you disagree with someone you can just rate "I disagree", and leave at that.
No. Instead of silently disagreeing and leaving it at that, I can rate "I disagree" and leave it at that, but at least the questionable post won't look like it's representative of everyone's opinion.
If I care enough to write something, the buttons won't deter me from doing it.

You have less quality content,
What is this, did you not get drawn enough times for debates in English class at school?
Debates are retarded and very personal, it's never interesting for 3d party readers.

I see these complaints about "oh no, now people won't argue". First - it's not true. Second - yeah so what. Who cares. It's shit content.

You are not representive. 7 out of 10 posters will behave like this.
Their problem. Not mine, not yours. If there's a lot of "shit" tags on posts because of personal grudges, why do I care about it? Why do you? Nobody gives a fuck.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
this systen encourages passive agressive behavior and lazyness. Instead of posting and explaining why you disagree with someone you can just rate "I disagree", and leave at that. You have less quality content, and more passive agressive behavior, not less.
How so?

You think retards who are butthurt and engage in passive-aggressive behavior will suddenly stop doing so if we removed buttons? Please, those who use the buttons to abuse also use their words to do so. The problem is not with the buttons, but with the users.

And what's that bit about lazyness? Are suddenly threads dying out? People are not getting lazy, they rate AND post. Only now they ALSO rate when they wouldn't post.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
People don't just rate things instead of answering. When they wouldn't have said anything anyways, they button and forget. But if they have something to say you can be sure they button and reply.

Of course they do. They downrate a post, become resented, and keep hunting the past posts of that person to down rate them. It encourages pettiness and coward behavior. We have seeing people posting pics of this, time and again. At one time, one idiot, whose name I don’t remember, even use a fucking algorithm to down rate all my posts in one go. That’s how idiotic this place is becoming. Shit slinging show for adults with teenagers’ complex instead of a space to discuss cRPGs. You must be living in the fucking moon if you didn't notice how stupid it is to have posters shoving the passive agressive bulshit on your face when all you want is to discuss cRPGs.

Threads are as long as ever, and arguments and insults continue to flow. Only with buttons people get a bit more involved into what's being said.

So they didn't make people post less insults and add passive agressiveness stupidity on top of it. Which means they are just idiotic colourful distractions.

Also, the discourse doesn't become lower quality because buttons are used. Quality might even be better, because you can use a button instead of shitposting.

How? I thought the insults continued to flow.

Most people who give negative ratings and don't reply would've instead shitposted if there was no other way to express their disagreement.

That's not the point. This system encourages passive agressive bulshit and laziness that fucks the whole experience of the place. In the old system, if you disagree with someone, you need to write a post because this is like a forum? Now, you don't need to bother to post, you can just down rate everything that person posted. I miss the gold old days when shitposters bother to post. Now they can just downrate everyone they disagree with it to show how mediocre they are.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
is not at all compatible with your activity in this thread.
I like my environment friendly for my needs. It's got nothing to do with the content and whether I care about this or that thread in this or that subforum.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Instead of posting and explaining why you disagree with someone you can just rate "I disagree", and leave at that.
No. Instead of silently disagreeing and leaving it at that, I can rate "I disagree" and leave it at that, but at least the questionable post won't look like it's representative of everyone's opinion.
If I care enough to write something, the buttons won't deter me from doing it.
I am sure when people first played their quest compass games they said to themselves "If the quest is stupid and meaningless I can finish it faster by following the compass but when I find a good and quality quest I can ignore the quest compass and find it myself" ... 1 day later.. quest compass.. drroool.. must follow it...

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You must be living in the fucking moon if you didn't notice how stupid it is to have posters shoving the passive agressive bulshit on your face when all you want is to discuss cRPGs.
You're probably one of the most aggressive posters on the codex and you're complaining about people being passive aggressive? :lol:

I think that's your real problem, you're afraid the toxicity may go down just a little and you don't like that. You want it hardcore. "The experience" as you say.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
You think retards who are butthurt and engage in passive-aggressive behavior will suddenly stop doing so if we removed buttons? Please, those who use the buttons to abuse also use their words to do so. The problem is not with the buttons, but with the users.

The problem is with the system that corrupts people and make them even stupider then what they are. Instead of bothering to write a post they have the instant gratification of downrating someone just to show their passive agressiveness to you. Before, at least half of this people won't bother to voice their opinions because they have nothing to say. Now they can say something stupid without any work. They can just click in one image to show how much they dislike you. It's the perfect techonology to increase idiocy on the internet. You can let people worse the experience without making any effort.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
You're probably one of the most aggressive posters on the codex and you're complaining about people being passive aggressive?

I’m not passive aggressive. I’m active aggressive, which is quite different. But even if I’m passive agressive, the fact that I'm complaining about this just shows how the system corrupts everyone. In order to make yourself heard, you need to play by this circus’ rules. Before you just need to read and post, now you need to know who dowrated what, etc. It’s a bunch of nonsense.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Forum works way faster, so brofists only edition of the Codex is better.

Some day the buttons will return, don't you worry about that. DU has finished another Prisoner Architect experiment and he is please for now with the poll results. What he will do next, only time will tell.

935abf0d2f19aea3f126431ab9aac1fa.jpg

:shittydog:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom