Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[POLL] How do you feel about buttons?

How do you feel about buttons?

• Bring them back, they added a much needed something something etc...

Votes: 184 44.9%
  • I liked them, but am concerned about Forum performance issues - can this be resolved?

Votes: 43 10.5%
  • Keep them away please.

Votes: 140 34.1%
  • Comrade of Kings

Votes: 43 10.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 7219

They need to come back, they bring much joy to the Codex. But there needs to be less of them.

Absolute Must Haves:
  • Brofist
  • Agree
  • Disagree
  • Shit
  • Bad Spelling (REALLY need this one)
  • Butthurt
  • Retarded
  • It's a mystery
  • Interesting
  • Informative
  • Acknowledge users agenda
Nice to Haves:
  • NO
  • Parrot
  • Doggie
  • Prosper
  • Prestigious
  • Salute

Last edited by a moderator:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
They need to come back, they bring much joy to the Codex. But there needs to be less of them.

Absolute Must Haves:
  • Brofist
  • Agree
  • Disagree
  • Shit
  • Butthurt
  • Retarded
  • It's a mystery
  • Prestigious
  • Salute

Nice to Haves:
  • NO
  • Parrot
  • Doggie
  • Prosper
Another quality post by a quality poster. The lower the quality of the poster the higher the need to express the soreness of rectum.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Absolute Must Haves:
  • Brofist
  • Agree
  • Disagree
  • Shit
  • Butthurt
  • Retarded
  • It's a mystery
  • Prestigious
  • Salute

Nice to Haves:

• NO
  • Parrot
  • Doggie
  • Prosper
Fewer

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
It is either you remove ratings entirely, including brofist, or you add all of them buttons back.

Brofisted ironically. It's not the same when you have to explain. :(
I brofist you unironically, I know the sorrow of posting an opinion without being sure if you would keep your brofist ratio.
open-uri20150422-12561-1givdux_c0e35a77.jpeg

ArchAngel

Arcane

Absolute Must Haves:
  • Brofist
  • Agree
  • Disagree
  • Shit
  • Butthurt
  • Retarded
  • It's a mystery
Nice to Haves:
  • NO
  • Parrot
  • Doggie
  • Prosper
  • Prestigious
  • Salute
No they do not. Before all those shit buttons people expressed themselves with funny pictures and Codex approved smilies. It is half the reason why I even started reading this forum regularly before I joined. Opening any topic was entertaining. Now people just write shit and others leave shit buttons.

valcik

Arcane
Button cancer disappeared, quite a relief!
Voted for KEEP THAT SHIT AWAY PLOX

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Why can't we brofist in GD anymore?There are some good posts in most subforums...
:decline:

As for the button parade,I don't really care but I think the Codex is a bit faster now so keep them away

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Before all those shit buttons people expressed themselves with funny pictures and Codex approved smilies.

Cause thats so much better, indeed. :shittydog:

I don't wanna spam but let me repost these one last time, since this seems to be the new relevant thread:

interesting.png
The inflation of possible ratings means that the rating of a singular post becomes more important as it can be rated much more accurately, whereas the sheer number of possible ratings ensures that ratings overall become less important, disincentivizing degenerate posting behavior (brofist harvesting) to a certain degree. And thats bredy gud.

People where able to respond to posts just fine and did so just as well and as frequently. I am not going to reply to any fluent post now just because I can't rate them prosper anymore. Just because an accurate rating exists doesn't prevent anyone from making a more detailed reply to it if he feels strongly enough about it.

Likewise, just because someone makes a reply doesn't actually help the quality of a discussion neccessarily, so I'd speculate that the abillity to rate actually cut down on a lot of white noise, because people could just click a button and rate something instead of making a whole 'you are shit and your opinion is shit' reply.

There is not a single good reason to have only brofists other than performance. Brofsts original intent has been turned on itself long ago and they are the real abomination now. Either have buttons or have nothing at all.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Before all those shit buttons people expressed themselves with funny pictures and Codex approved smilies.

Cause thats so much better, indeed. :shittydog:

I don't wanna spam but let me repost these one last time, since this seems to be the new relevant thread:

interesting.png
The inflation of possible ratings means that the rating of a singular post becomes more important as it can be rated much more accurately, whereas the sheer number of possible ratings ensures that ratings overall become less important, disincentivizing degenerate posting behavior (brofist harvesting) to a certain degree. And thats bredy gud.

People where able to respond to posts just fine and did so just as well and as frequently. I am not going to reply to any fluent post now just because I can't rate them prosper anymore. Just because an accurate rating exists doesn't prevent anyone from making a more detailed reply to it if he feels strongly enough about it.

Likewise, just because someone makes a reply doesn't actually help the quality of a discussion neccessarily, so I'd speculate that the abillity to rate actually cut down on a lot of white noise, because people could just click a button and rate something instead of making a whole 'you are shit and your opinion is shit' reply.

There is not a single good reason to have only brofists other than performance. Brofsts original intent has been turned on itself long ago and they are the real abomination now. Either have buttons or have nothing at all.
Yes it was immeasurably better. With buttons people started to replace posting replies with just clicking buttons. I know I did, and I am pretty sure so did many. For a place that is about people talking to each other, buttons made people do the opposite.

Last edited:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Likewise, just because someone makes a reply doesn't actually help the quality of a discussion neccessarily, so I'd speculate that the abillity to rate actually cut down on a lot of white noise

With buttons people started to replace posting replies with just clicking buttons. I am know I did

Seriosuly mate, I rate your post parrot.+M

ArchAngel

Arcane
Likewise, just because someone makes a reply doesn't actually help the quality of a discussion neccessarily, so I'd speculate that the abillity to rate actually cut down on a lot of white noise

With buttons people started to replace posting replies with just clicking buttons. I am know I did

Seriosuly mate, I rate your post parrot.+M
OK you caught me. I didn't read your whole post, just scanned first few sentences and expected the rest to be similar.

My answer to what you wrote at the end is that I don't agree. Any reply has more value than stupid buttons.

mastroego

Arcane
I feel like the Overlords stole our brofists first, forced us to use a system we never wanted, then when that very system had finally crept its way into becoming necessary for our psychological survival and we could never do without rating posts in clever and unexpected ways, they took that away from us too.
:philosoraptor:

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For extra trolling, buttons could be brought back but hidden, so you'd receive no alerts*, there would be no way of knowing your total rating unless you add them up manually, and you'd need to press a button/tab in each message to see the reactions to your post. That way posters will go crazy, pressing f5 all the time and clicking the "reveal ratings" button like crack addicts. Now, if only all that work could be harnessed into a new form of energy or something...

*Edit: Actually, no. Alerts are fine, but they'd only tell you a post has been rated, but not what kind of rating.

Last edited:

Kahr

IT'S 2017, DAMMIT. WHERE ARE MY BUTTONS!?
I feel so naked. It's so cold... so cold.
Mommy... It hurts. Buttons...:cry:
Miss Teacher, those bullies took all my buttons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Maybe bring back buttons if you're a patron. I'd pay for this. Make buttons a DLC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom