Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

FUDU

Arcane
You're not very original, just so you know. It's the typical dumbfuck apologetic crap to say anything that is criticized is trivial. We've heard it so much already that I really begin to think everything in a game is trivial and really, you should like all games and all their features because, what, they're trivial! You don't want to be a hater, do you????

It's a fucking video game.
leave my forums

ny

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
the only real criticism of the game they can come up with is that some stretchgoals were cut and that the UI is supposedly much worse now because of the console release.
You're awfully quick to forget the four people party limit, the three iterations of progressively more and more hideous portraits, the awkward infodumpy intro and, most importantly, the carnage™ of the combat system. I mean I won't commit suicide just because the game has health bars, but I still dislike the decision and I still believe it's not Numenera anymore.

Whether the good will outweigh the bad remains to be seen, but you cannot deny that inXile has cut a fair number of corners. Yet the only thing I can recall them apologizing for is the missing stretch goals. Apparently, everything else is OK and business as usual for Fargo.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

it's not Numenera anymore

Numenera always was terribly badly suited as a basis for a cRPG. They had to do something to the mechanics.

However, that doesn't mean they had to tack on bog-standard vidya game 101 stats (health + 3 basic defences) and relegate cyphers to the edges when they're meant to be front and centre.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What went wrong with Torment? Seriously, what are the things that went wrong? That some of the features which were promised in the Kickstarter were cut? This is the curse of the kickstarter you see. Everybody is so hung up on the promises, but do you really think that you can plan every little detail 3 years ahead? They are developers, not fortune tellers. They made an estimate about how much features they can do in a given time and given money, but a lot of things can change in three years. And they decided to cut some. Like when Larian cut the NPC schedules and the Phantom forrest area.

It is simply unbelievable that people can't understand that things change in a 3 years long development cycle, and you either adapt or risk crashing the project because you ran out of time and money?

As for the console version, Fargo have seen a good business opportunity which he thinked is profitable to the company, without risking the base game. And am I remembering right that the console version was not even their work, but their business partner Techland?
It was not the fact that they cut content. InXile didn't announce it and informed the backers only after this came out on forums. At least crowdfunding should presume some transparency.

(I'm not a Fargo/InXile hater and I look forward to playing TToN).
That is absolutely true, they should have said it before hand.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
but I still dislike the decision and I still believe it's not Numenera anymore.

The problem is not even that's it's not Numenera, it's that they had the chance to do something somewhat original, but in the end changed it and the reasons they gave was essentially that the players didn't get it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
One of the most obvious dumbing down to fit console features is the movement mode, everyone follows the fucking leader by means of controller thumb stick.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Considering the game isn't even out yet, and we already have stuff to criticize about it - yeah, I'd say that's a bit worrying, wouldn't you? :D

Do you seriously think the Codex wouldn't find something to bitch about, especially considering inXile's recently changed attitude towards the Codex?

One of the most obvious dumbing down to fit console features is the movement mode, everyone follows the fucking leader by means of controller thumb stick.

And this is different from IE games how?

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
In IE games you drag box select everyone, or a single character or 2, or 3, or whatever.

In torment, where you go with your character, everyone else follows.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
"“The long long wait is over! The spiritual successor to PST has arrived on #PC #PS4 #XboxOne Get #tton today"

Change PST to PTSD and this will be more accurate.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In IE games you drag box select everyone, or a single character or 2, or 3, or whatever.

Third person perspective blobber exploration. :)

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Other than pre-positioning before combat, there isn't much of a use for separate character movement outside of combat anyway.

Sizzle

Arcane
Considering the game isn't even out yet, and we already have stuff to criticize about it - yeah, I'd say that's a bit worrying, wouldn't you? :D

Do you seriously think the Codex wouldn't find something to bitch about, especially considering inXile's recently changed attitude towards the Codex?

Of course they would.

But still: cutting KS stretch goal promises and only copping to it when they were found out, mangling the UI so it would better fit consoles, getting a publisher when the entire basis of their pitch was "Publisher evil, we need to stay indie so we can make good stuff!!", the reports of several posters who are familiar with the setting and rules that they mishandled that part as well, purple prose abound writing, Kevin Saunders leaving mid-development, etc - all of those are red flags.

Again, this does not mean the game will be bad, but when all the news about a game you were excited for cause you to be less and less enthusiastic about it the closer it gets to release - I'd say it's genuine cause for legitimate concern.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Other than pre-positioning before combat, there isn't much of a use for separate character movement outside of combat anyway.
They are using PoE as a basis, so they went out of their way to change the control method in a manner that favors controllers.

I don't care about use, especially because there is no stealth here, it just feels wrong.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How much of a "basis" can you expect PoE to remain in a turn-based game?

Some sea posts:

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17131&p=180989#p180989

sea said:
The stronghold is the Calm. Throughout the game, different sections expand and grow over time. As you progress through the main story and make discoveries in the world, you will open up new fathoms to explore. You will also be able to uncover reflections of various NPCs, and solving their quests and engaging in their conversations lets you unlock and switch out various bonuses.

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17141&p=180986#p180986

sea said:
Part of the initial plan was that when you select the same question/answer twice, you might not have the same reaction - the NPC could become upset that you keep asking the same thing, or could now answer a question he didn't answer before because something changed in between, or ...

I'm not sure how much of it survived the cuts, but if this was kept, then it wouldn't make much sense to have identifier of already said lines.

This is most definitely in the game. It's one reason why the game doesn't grey out conversation options that are already picked.

And a new FAQ: https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17148&p=180983#p180983

Torment Pre-Release FAQ

Hi everyone,

This FAQ is here to answer all of your questions about Torment’s release! If you don't see a question listed, it's possible we don't have an answer just yet - we will update this on an ongoing basis, as well as after release as needed!

General Questions

When’s Torment coming out?
February 28th, 2017. It’ll be on Windows, Mac, Linux, PS4 and Xbox One!

As a backer, how do I get my game key?
You can go to your backer Rewards page on the Torment web site (https://torment.inxile-entertainment.co ... te/rewards). Look for the “Manage Keys” button under your reward package that includes the game, and you will be able to claim a key.

I see Steam, but what about GOG?
GOG is coming! We'll have GOG keys either a few days prior to the release, or on release day.

I already took my Steam key to play Early Access, but I want to switch to GOG. Is that possible?
Yes! We will have an option to exchange your Steam key for a GOG key soon.

Do Steam Early Access keys turn into the full game?
Absolutely! Your game will auto-update to the release build on the 28th.

Will I be able to continue pledging towards the game?
Pledges towards Torment will no longer be possible on the release date.

Where can I buy the game?
You will be able to find Torment on Steam, GOG, and other digital stores. For consoles, you will be able to find it in stores as well as digitally.

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/272270/
GOG: https://af.gog.com/game/torment_tides_of_numenera?as=1649904300
Retail: http://buy.tormentgame.com/

Game Questions

Will my Steam Early Access saves keep working in the final release?
Any saves made after the Tidal Surge update in December should work with the final release! However, any save files from earlier versions (before the Tidal Surge update) are not likely to work, or will experience significant bugs. If you want the most stable possible experience, we advise you to start a new game.

If you choose to continue playing from an Early Access save, it is safest to do so from either near the start of the game, or towards the end of Sagus Cliffs.

If you run into an issue with your save files not appearing in the Load Game menu at all, you may have a very old save game from earlier versions of Torment. Deleting your old save files - or the entire Saves folder - manually should fix this problem. You can do that by navigating to this folder:

<your username>\AppData\LocalLow\InXile Entertainment\Torment\Saves

Will save files work across operating systems?
Save files made on PC platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux) should work regardless of the operating system. Console save files (Xbox One or PS4) will only work on that particular console platform.

What languages can I play in?
Torment will support English, French, German, Spanish, Polish and Russian. Of those, English and Polish will also have voice-over support (other languages are text-only).

Will the game have controller support on PC?
Yep! You will be able to play with an Xbox One, PS4, or Steam Controller if you wish.

Digital Goods Questions

Where do I get my digital goodies?
These will be made available on the Torment backer web site, listed under your “Downloads” button under your reward package (https://torment.inxile-entertainment.co ... te/rewards).

Will my Steam or GOG version include my digital extras?
We're looking into this!

Will every backer reward be available by release?
Most of them! The Concept Art Book, Strategy Guide, Original Soundtrack by Mark Morgan, Pat Rothfuss' digital comic book, all the currently released novellas, and more, will all be available.

A few digital rewards, such as Colin McComb’s novella and Planescape: Torment Let’s Play, and the remaining digital comic books, are in production, but didn't quite make it for release. We are working to get those ready as soon as we can and will keep you updated on their status.

I saw some preorder DLC items in stores. Do backers get those?
Yes they do! All our backers get those items on PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just came across this Interview with Colin McComb.

https://ps4pro.eu/2017/02/19/tormen...-interview-with-colin-mccomb-creative-leader/

And I quote: "PS4Pro: The Unity engine used by Interplay and Black Isle was very nice in the beginning of 2000, but it may seem a bit obsolete by today’s standard. Why using the same technology?"

Oh man... Journalism at its best!

:deathclaw:

Question made by the Professional Game Journalist:

BadSector is a seasoned journalist since more than twenty years. He communicates in English, Hungarian and French. He worked for several gaming magazines - including the Hungarian GameStar, where he worked 8 years as editor.
So shameful :)

Colin on how long is the game:
If you focus entirely on the main story and ignore all the side content, skip through conversations, and don’t read any of the extra lore, you might finish the game in around 25 hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom