Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Quillon

Arcane
can't believe not a single person or group has pledged to create a pirate party.. guess no one gives a fuck about this the pirate aspect of this game. :M

We should do a pirate party

'should buy a bar. No last calls.

---

Still 37 hours to go, guess the update wasn't late after all. To $5M! :P

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you guys want a pirate party you're going to have to pledge a whole lot more to our fundraiser.

Sawyer Reddit posts from last two and a half weeks: https://www.reddit.com/user/jesawyer
RcojVtK.png

Roguey-relevant part: https://www.reddit.com/r/projectete...any_questions_for_obsidian/ddesd7l/?context=3

LcLvtpo.png

sheep.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, design the game around your characters constantly getting knocked out, forcing them to rest because you can't figure out your resting system (or even the point of it), seems legit.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
- I liked Josh's explanation about Penetration and how its goal is to make the system "less murky and something that's much more distinctive". So it actually was murky before? Oh my, all those fanboys preaching how simple and easy it is had just about convinced me!

- It's very nice to see that pickpocketing is back. I hope it's put to good use, and that being caught won't have to result in load game because everyone is now hostile.

- I wonder how the UI for pickpocketing will look like? I hope it's not a "you get a random item from the npc's inventory" like in the IE games, but I also hope it's not just access the npc's inventory with the PoE "container" UI. Also, will I be able to steal stuff and directly send it to stash? This will feel hilariously stupid.

- Regarding Stealth/Detect Traps stances and Detect Traps being "always on" and based on Perception. That's pretty cool that being in Stealth no longer is tied to Detect Traps, this was something I've been asking them for, but why should Detect Traps be always on? In the IE games, there was a tradeoff, where you can either scout ahead with a thief while stealthed but not detect traps, or you could search for traps but not be in stealth. It wasn't very realistic, but I liked that.

- No crew system on the ship - I don't know if I'm happy or unhappy about that. A half-baked ship facebook game would be as bad as the stronghold facebook game, but on the other hand, you have cope with the thought that your companions function as part-time sailors, or... you are sailing on a ghost ship?

- From Josh's response to the question around 38:00, it seems to me like subclasses will be less impactful than the kits in BGII were and more of a "for flavor" thing. I've been suspecting this could turn out to be the case, otherwise it's simply too many combinations to balance appropriately.

- This mortar weapon for Seraphin, will it be a completely unique thing like Jan Jansen's crossbow, or will you be able buy and equip him with better versions of it? Also, if it's really similar to a "mortar" weapon, will he have to deploy it and be immobile while in combat? What range will it have, a semi-realistic "mortar" range will make it really overpowered IMO. My guess is it won't be all that distinctive, because it would be too much extra work for a weapon that's only usable by one character who the player may not even recruit or use.

- I don't think Josh caught the "unleash the Kraken" meme reference in the related question :lol:

- So the Dunryd Row cypher in PoE being able to see past lives was a writer's error. Interesting.

- Confirmed that slogging through sand and mud will slow characters down. I was wondering if this was just a cosmetic change in animation.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
So, little recap about Fulvano's magical journey: +M

- Pirate island, fortress, village and an important, big Inn

- Flooded island, big dungeon with treasure and boss encounter

- Swamp island, village with hostile tribe locals

- Desert island, fortified camp with slaves and illegal activities

I guess the next may be sub-artic themed

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Heading toward the Uncharted Islands stretch goal. That and $4M seem fairly easily in reach, but the mystery stretch goals after that (one of which would seem to be intelligent weapons, per the stream) as well as the ultimate $5M streth goal still seem unlikely.

Sherry

Arcane
The Reddit guy missed the Twitch stream so it's going to take a while before there's a transcript: https://www.reddit.com/r/projectete...ty_ii_deadfire_qa_stream_3/de3vdlr/?context=3

Hi!

Infinitron, is the recording not available from yesterday? I was out for dinner and was unable to watch or participate during the Twitch event to ask my questions. I am only asking because you are always the one who brings that information to this thread. If you could tag me when it does become available and when you post it I would appreciate it. :hug:

Not quite, I think. It's clear that this time around they have thought the stretch goals through quite thoroughly, meaning they have a design and they know how it'll slot into the rest of the game. That does not mean they've started implementation. Josh has previously talked about how they categorise content and features when planning a game: A - will make, B - would be nice to make, C - cut. All of the stretch goals they've announced so far at least could be B category: not critical to the game but nice to have.

So it's entirely possible that they're using stretch goals to move content and systems from the B category to the A category. The price tags are entirely arbitrary, naturally, they have little relation to how much any given stretch goal would cost. But prima facie there's no reason to believe that they've already decided to implement them all and are using them purely as a marketing ploy.

That said, this time around at least crowdfunding is clearly more of a marketing ploy than actually critical to making the game. They seem pretty confident it'll succeed and sell, and this is a good way to drum up publicity and hype. As marketing goes, there are worse ways; one thing I like about it is that the people making the thing show their faces -- there are those Twitch Q&As and all that commotion.

This makes perfect sense the way you describe it but your posts are always well thought out which is probably why you are always so helpful and informative. I should probably be more full of appreciation that the stretch goals are being met because I do not know how I would feel if they did indeed miss out on making it happen. Losing out on falling in love while in my captain's quarters with my cats would not make for a good game and I am very happy for all the support to make Deadfire happen.

Thanks,
Randal

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The Reddit guy missed the Twitch stream so it's going to take a while before there's a transcript: https://www.reddit.com/r/projectete...ty_ii_deadfire_qa_stream_3/de3vdlr/?context=3

Hi!

Infinitron, is the recording not available from yesterday? I was out for dinner and was unable to watch or participate during the Twitch event to ask my questions. I am only asking because you are always the one who brings that information to this thread. If you could tag me when it does become available and when you post it I would appreciate it. :hug:

It's available on the twitch site, as usual. (Go to https://www.twitch.tv/obsidian and you can watch the last broadcast.) I don't think they've made it available as a youtube video yet, but that will happen soon/eventually.

Sherry

Arcane

Hi!

It's available on the twitch site, as usual. (Go to https://www.twitch.tv/obsidian and you can watch the last broadcast.) I don't think they've made it available as a youtube video yet, but that will happen soon/eventually.

Hi!

Thank-you for passing this along I am going to go make some coffee and enjoy the full hour so I am up to date on all the discussions happening here to join in.

p.s. if someone could give a heart to santino27 I would appreciate it and owe you one when I am allowed but I do not know what is taking so long so thanks!

Thanks,
Randal

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Guis, is it worth it to upgrade my pledge for extra 20 buckazoids for the PoE2 dlc?
Hard to say. Normally, I would say wait until we see more gameplay videos, but I will probably upgrade to the DLC option myself.

Also, keep in mind that Obsidian should have a backer portal for late donations and/or upgrades, and so there is time to think on it.

Fry

Arcane
Guis, is it worth it to upgrade my pledge for extra 20 buckazoids for the PoE2 DLC season pass?

Kinda hard to tell you if DLC which doesn't exist and hasn't even been described yet is worth it. Going purely by the PoE1 expansions - yes.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I updated my pledge. Everyone said that TWM was much better than vanilla PoE, so why not?

Sentinel

Arcane
Guis, is it worth it to upgrade my pledge for extra 20 buckazoids for the PoE2 DLC season pass?

Edited for clarity
Considering there's no info whatsoever about it, why bother?
Just let it come out, then if you're interested buy it.
Don't fall into the hype.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom