Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Jazz_

Arcane
So I got the itch to play Quake III arena again, I read that Quake Live is the improved version of Quake III and I'm like let's go for this then, I go to the Steam page, it's 10 bucks but it says ''this item is already in your library'', and I was able to download and play it for free, but I'm absolutely certain that I have never bought/installed this game before, what's going on? :M

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Blood Bowl 2 is -75%
There's a new version launching this summer with everything and a bunch new teams and modes. I'll wait for that.

How's the game improved since release? I kept hearing it was dumpster fire tier.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Huh? I wonder what is happening here.

TopWare just released "Jagged Alliance 2 Classic HD" (the original JA 2 with fan HD patch, they say) as a DLC of its standalone expansion pack Widlfire.

Nordic Games (now THQ Nordic) announced in 2015 that they acquired JA IP from BitComposer, but on Steam, they're only selling JA 1, Back in Action, Crossfire, and Online.

Strategy First is still selling the original JA 2 on Steam. And what right gives TopWare to release the original JA 2 (with fan patch)?

Looks like rights for each game are entangled as hell.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

TopWare just released "Jagged Alliance 2 Classic HD" (the original JA 2 with fan HD patch, they say) as a DLC of its standalone expansion pack Widlfire.

Nordic Games (now THQ Nordic) announced in 2015 that they acquired JA IP from BitComposer, but on Steam, they're only selling JA 1, Back in Action, Crossfire, and Online.

Strategy First is still selling the original JA 2 on Steam. And what right gives TopWare to release the original JA 2 (with fan patch)?

Time for a JA3 about a group of mercenaries embroiled in a secret corporate war over computer game copyrights?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

DLC makes it harder to notice. +M It'd be fun to send out some emails about this and see what happens.

God Eater 2 is on sale. Any thoughts?
I want to play Monster Hunter, but can't justify buying a console for it, and I get the impression this is a somewhat similar if shallower experience.
I can tolerate some grind, but only if the combat system is good.
I can already tell I would at best tolerate the story and characters. Still worth it for the gameplay alone?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I want to play Monster Hunter, but can't justify buying a console for it, and I get the impression this is a somewhat similar if shallower experience.
I can already tell I would at best tolerate the story and characters. Still worth it for the gameplay alone?
If you want MH, play Monster Hunter on PPSSPP or Dophin.

I'm interested in GE2 mainly because I grew tired of MH.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I guess God Eater 2 have actual characters (boobs) and not nameless vendors and questgivers.
Plus some mechanical differences in combat and else. Can you use enemy parts to build armors and weapons that looks like it was from that particular monster?

sullynathan

Arcane
nah, god eater is shit from the 5 minutes I played. If you want to emulate a Monster Hunter game, only play Portable 3rd. The two games before it are shit and I've hear that Portable 3rd is a better version of MH 3.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
nah, god eater is shit from the 5 minutes I played. If you want to emulate a Monster Hunter game, only play Portable 3rd. The two games before it are shit and I've hear that Portable 3rd is a better version of MH 3.

WTF. You heard wrong. Portable 3rd has a 3rd of MH3U's content. It's too easy and doesn't even have G-Rank. Portable 3rd is a perfectly serviceable game and a good place to try out the series if you wanna play MH without buying a console, but it is in no way anywhere near as good as any of the 3DS Monster Hunters, especially 3U, which is objectively the best one in the series.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
WTF. You heard wrong. Portable 3rd has a 3rd of MH3U's content. It's too easy and doesn't even have G-Rank. Portable 3rd is a perfectly serviceable game and a good place to try out the series if you wanna play MH without buying a console, but it is in no way anywhere near as good as any of the 3DS Monster Hunters, especially 3U, which is objectively the best one in the series.
That's the point. To My knowledge there's no working 3DS emulator so i would recommend portable 3rd.
But I'm reading that generations or 4 ultimate is the best.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That's the point. To My knowledge there's no working 3DS emulator so i would recommend portable 3rd.
But I'm reading that generations or 4 ultimate is the best.

Nah, 4U and Gen aren't as great. MH3U introduced the most new content the series has seen since the first game. 4U and Gen have too many old shitty monsters that no one likes, apart from the JP audience because of muh nostalgia (I think Kut-Ku dominates their popularity polls lmao). MH3/U was like a soft reboot of the series where they redesigned old monsters and made them good and fun instead of shitty. 4U is still OK, although it has too many old bad monsters and not enough of the good ones from 3U. It introduced some QoL improvements to gameplay that were overall nice changes.
MH Gen has the most garbage end game of all the MH games, lots of absolutely useless armor sets because of how badly they divvied up the skills between armor and a revamped combat system which strayed too far from what Monster Hunter is about. MH is about positional awareness and learning monster patterns in order to punish the monsters through skill and experience. In MH Gen it's all about abusing one of the many sources of iframes that the game gives you for free. Or in Adept style's case, you are trying to bait the enemy into hitting you so you can evade-counter. It's the anti-MH of the series; it rewards players for learning bad habits.

Astral Rag

Arcane

They didn't even contact the modders and the mod isn't mentioned anywhere on the game's Store Page. :roll:

Interesting thread on the Steam forum: http://steamcommunity.com/app/215930/discussions/0/133258092239961293/

:salute: Felipepepe

Yeah, I don't think "shady" quite cuts it for such a blatant case of taking someone's work and redistributing without consent or credit, while getting profit out of it.

Hard to contact? What kind of inane ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥t is that? It's like saying it's fine to steal a bike 'cause owner wasn't around. I also wonder where did you manage to get the mod files from in that case.

Oh, and BTW, if that wasn't clear enough, sure, nobody can speak for all v1.13 contributors, but I certainly can speak for myself, and I DON'T give you my consent to use or redistribute any of my work or its derivatives included in the mod. Is that statement clear enough for you or you want me to spell it out with macaroni letters and send it to you?

As a guy who has worked quite a lot on 1.13, this makes me sick.

First of all, you advertise this as "Jagged Alliance 2 Classic HD". This is misleading. Classic JA2 did not have this. Higher resolutions (like the one in the last picture) were only added by the 1.13 team.

Second, JA2 Wildfire was an expansion to JA2. JA2 never required JA2 Wildfire, and is definetely not a DLC to it.

Third, read the end user agreement.

Fourth, all releases of 1.13 REQUIRE the base game, JA2. I have no idea what sites you are referring to, but we always tell that to anyone visiting the bears pit. To be precise: http://thepit.ja-galaxy-forum.com/index.php?t=msg&th=20380&goto=311288&#msg_311288

Fifth, YOU ARE TAKING MONEY FOR THE WORK OF OTHER PEOPLE WITHOUT PERMISSION. In case you should argue that this is merely theoretical, ME. I did not give you permission to do so. We work on 1.13 for free and make it downloadable. I personally would have no problem if you were to provide 1.13 for free to steam users (in case someone is too lazy to just download and extract and archive manually), but with this I very much have a problem.

1.13 is a community mod and should always be a freely-distributed mod.
1.13 (or any other community mods) should not be bundled with any other paid software without the modder(s)' explicit permission.

IMO, the only probable way of permission granted by the 1.13 community (however minute it could be) is to have 1.13 mod as a 'standalone & free' DLC with proper attribution in product title & description with mod name, version & community support link etc.

Please liaise with Shanga (if he's willing & the community is ok) on steam.

In the meantime, please remove all 1.13 references which includes, and not limited to,
- 'HD' wordings as 'original Version of Jagged Alliance 2' is 640x480 only.
- 1.13 screenshots
- most importantly, all 1.13 related files from the DLC.

1 way of value adding is to have win8 & win10 official support for 'original Version of Jagged Alliance 2'.
Still, a pat on their work in having Mac OS and Linux support for 'Jagged Alliance 2 - Wildfire'.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Thanks Hobo Elf for reminder about MH on Wii, now I remember fondly about it and the "I want it now" urge to get this thing (I played on PSP MH one) but potato does not exist on maps in Nintento HQ (Wii creators) and getting any games for N. machines legit way it exercise in futility...

@up
boy, the firestorm in that topic is massive :laugh: need to save these pages in case of Volvo's Divine Interventions...

Vorark

Erudite
MH is about positional awareness and learning monster patterns in order to punish the monsters through skill and experience.

Yup, the "hit until it dies, don't get hit" MH mantra. However, I find it curious you mention the position/patterns and calls pre-Tri monsters garbage. Maybe it's because I started with Freedom Unite, but in that game you could almost lock down monster behavior by baiting the AI to do what you wanted. It was almost like a bizarre mix of puzzle and action game. Hunter did move A? Then monster will do move B, and so on. Was very rewarding when you managed to dispatch a monster that gave you trouble in 15:00 minutes or less in GRank. I remember Tigrex being a terror because endless stamina. Dual Tiggy in GRank? Yikes. Unfortunately, he was a pushover in 3rd.

Nonetheless, I think of all the post-revamp MH titles, 3U is still the best. Improved hitboxes, new monster body-types and movements, and positioning is still relevant. The soundtrack was stellar too. MH4U speeds up the monsters and throws in the 1st/2nd gen monsters without taking care to properly update them, like they did with Rathalos/Rathian in Tri. I was interested in getting 4U until I watched a solo Rajang video on Youtube and the guy basically went the hack'n'slash route, like WTF? To boot, the maps were craptastic compared to 3U or even FU.

You're spot on about Gen. MH has been declining since Tri/3U.

DramaticPopcorn

So, they pulled 1,13 mod but the JA2 Classic is still a DLC to Wildfire?? How is that supposed to work?

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom