Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sherry

Arcane
I'm not sure that's actually true, Randal. Yes, they'd have some or most of the given features, but in all likelihood, they would be scaled down. Maybe you wouldn't be able to customize "Sherry" at all. Maybe they'd halve the number of custom ship encounters they designed. We wouldn't have the sidekicks. We likely would be back to having 'subclasses' just be the priest and paladin orders like in POE1. They'd almost certainly not localize to as many languages as they've now signed up to do.

Also, I don't think "Obsidian continues to put money into the fig to inflate the stretch goals" is accurate. As I understand it, when/if they can add Fig funds to the campaign is in some way dependent on the backer $ earned by that campaign (some have said there are chokepoints at certain percentages above 100%). SO I don't think Obsidian is any way trying to inflate the stretch goals or string things along, but are instead handling the investment funds in the manner proscribed by Fig.

Hi!

Maybe you are right? I hope so right? I just recall having the fig page opened and watching the backer count and the monies put forward. It was moving so slowly and it did not seem the stretch goal would be met the way things were going. Then all of a sudden before 10am PST the stretch goal is met but the number of backers only went up by forty or so. I even posted about it in this thread.

Maybe it is not someone being sneaky but with each announced stretch goal does no one ever find it is not a stretch goal but already a system in place within the game? You know right? Because all that work to design and make the video of a stretch goal and the examples of how the system will work would be a pain in the buttocks to remove but then all of a sudden the goal is met with an influx of monies before the next Twitch is announced.

It just smells something caught from the depths of the Deadfire is all right?

Am I the only one who thinks this? TheSentinel you must have something to add right?

Thanks,
Randal

Prime Junta

Maybe it is not someone being sneaky but with each announced stretch goal does no one ever find it is not a stretch goal but already a system in place within the game? You know right? Because all that work to design and make the video of a stretch goal and the examples of how the system will work would be a pain in the buttocks to remove but then all of a sudden the goal is met with an influx of monies before the next Twitch is announced.

Not quite, I think. It's clear that this time around they have thought the stretch goals through quite thoroughly, meaning they have a design and they know how it'll slot into the rest of the game. That does not mean they've started implementation. Josh has previously talked about how they categorise content and features when planning a game: A - will make, B - would be nice to make, C - cut. All of the stretch goals they've announced so far at least could be B category: not critical to the game but nice to have.

So it's entirely possible that they're using stretch goals to move content and systems from the B category to the A category. The price tags are entirely arbitrary, naturally, they have little relation to how much any given stretch goal would cost. But prima facie there's no reason to believe that they've already decided to implement them all and are using them purely as a marketing ploy.

That said, this time around at least crowdfunding is clearly more of a marketing ploy than actually critical to making the game. They seem pretty confident it'll succeed and sell, and this is a good way to drum up publicity and hype. As marketing goes, there are worse ways; one thing I like about it is that the people making the thing show their faces -- there are those Twitch Q&As and all that commotion.

Seaking4

Learned
Damn there was a lot of incline in that update. This update combined with the one about greater player freedom and the New Vegas factions has me damn excited for this game. Hopefully Obsidian comes to their senses and re-adds Vancian casting and the health/endurance system.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Damn there was a lot of incline in that update. This update combined with the one about greater player freedom and the New Vegas factions has me damn excited for this game. Hopefully Obsidian comes to their senses and re-adds Vancian casting and the health/endurance system.
Health/endurance was stupid, I like this one better. They are almost same, this one just does not have an extra needless health value (also does not make it so people with less health force the group to rest sooner)

Seaking4

Learned
Health/endurance was stupid, I like this one better. They are almost same, this one just does not have an extra needless health value (also does not make it so people with less health force the group to rest sooner)

For the most part I agree. I'd rather a much simpler system where you just have health and if its depleted your character dies. That's as simple as it gets and I think it's the best way to go. However, I'm not sure the new system is going to be better than the health/endurance one. It just seems like they are simplifying the old health system (good) but by making it much easier for no real reason (bad).

I thought the wounds that they added with 3.0 were a good deterrent from just letting your character go down in the middle of a fight and would have preferred that they continued to build on that.

Parabalus

Arcane
They are almost same, this one just does not have an extra needless health value (also does not make it so people with less health force the group to rest sooner)

That a good gripe with the health system, it forces you to have high multiplier classes at the front, but if you want to make a tank rogue/wizard, even if his endurance is ok he will run out of health way sooner than a low con fighter forcing rests. Outside of that I found the system pretty good.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The question I have is whether I still count as a one-handed-weapon combatant if I have a grimoire in my off-hand. Because that could be a pretty interesting spellblade kind of build.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hyperion

Arcane
Looks like a Grimoire takes up the 'trinket' slot in PoE2. This was formally the slot devoted to necklace / cloak / miscellaneous gear. I do believe it was stated somewhere that a cloak is now a separate slot, however.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks like a Grimoire takes up the 'trinket' slot in PoE2. This was formally the slot devoted to necklace / cloak / miscellaneous gear.

I think it's an entirely new slot, not the necklace one.

Sawyer Reddit posts from last two and a half weeks: https://www.reddit.com/user/jesawyer

NZ3yhbY.png
RcojVtK.png

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I hope we also get to customize our cabin with plants and flowers
:hmmm:

I think the plants and flowers should grow dynamically.

More feature ideas (maybe in future stretch goals?)
  • Hybridise plants using different punnet squares
  • Bees pollinate plants - but watch out for ADRA BEES!
  • Plants get diseases (leaf rot etc.)
  • Grow tobacco and marijuana (or their Eoran equivalents) for special bonuses
  • Buy fertiliser and weed spray for your plants.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The grimoire limitation is pure incline. Wtf stop making me like you, it makes me feel funny.

Increase of KO's along with canning the endurance system because an unwillingness to curtail resting issues as well as per-encounter/cooldown everythings is still cancer, though. Get your shit together!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are no cooldowns. When I said you could play like Dragon Age I didn't mean that.

Sizzle

Arcane
wasn't #6 titled Island of Corpses?
You are right, it was called Cursed Land of Corpses in the previous picture.

That's what Ori o Koiki means when translated :)

Also, gotta say, I'm liking this Fulvano's Voyage bit a lot more than the Endless Paths - they can do much more with it than a simple dungeon crawl (nothing wrong with that, of course, but TEP always felt disjointed from the rest of the game. This seems like it'll fit right in), and with greater variety than several types of caverns like in TEP.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
1 minute into the vid
8efecba35ebb141d395e932643ca7008.jpg

DEUS VULT HEATHENS

You know, as much as I'm mostly ironic about the whole Deus Vult thing (although I fully support a secular and ethnic reconquista, including a European reclaimation of Constantinople as a bulwark against the saracen hordes), I would absolutely kill for a serious attempt at high-quality historical fantasy RPG in which you're absolutely Deus-Vulting all over the place. Like a less SJW:y Tyranny that actually delivers on it's promises of you being a part of the concept of "Sumdimes, ebul winns :;DD", arriving in the new world, and where your fundamental choices generally consists of benevolently belittling the backwards savages as part of the white man's burden, or simply goes on manifesting destiny by vigorously slapping your steel cock over the table until the playboard of the not-Mayans, the not-Aztecs and the not-Incans topple over.

Shit, there's a trilogy right there, and then we have the less-well-received subsequent spinoff of Not-North-American Bogaloo: Genocide Harder.

Bonus points if faith in the One True God™ actually has a measure of truth to it and let's the priests set fire to heretics, and classes are restricted by gender because nobody would take a female conquistador seriously.

I'll even trade the developers a self-hating homosexual Durance so they can fill the obligatory marxist quota and allow them to show that they're progressive after all, honest!
I can always dream, no?

Expeditions: Conquistador?

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
can't believe not a single person or group has pledged to create a pirate party.. guess no one gives a fuck about this the pirate aspect of this game. :M

We should do a pirate party

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom