Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #51: New Weapon Types

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail; Underrail: Expedition

Other than the recent experimental beta, it's been quite a while since we last heard anything about Underrail and its upcoming expansion, Underrail: Expedition. In a new development update published today, Styg and crew reveal what they've been working on for so long. The Expedition expansion is set to feature three new weapon types - spears, machetes and shotguns.

Hi guys. In the past few months we've been working (and we're still working) on a couple of major features for the expansion, but we didn't want to show any of them before they were ready. First of these that are now done are the new weapons, so without further ado I give you the three new weapon types - the spear, the machete and the shotgun.

SpearAttack.gif
MacheteAttack.gif
shotgun.gif

The choice of spear and machete as new weapons was mostly thematic (you will learn why in some later dev log), but these weapons will also have their own place in the melee arsenal. Spears are meant to be versatile offensive and defensive weapons, while machetes are meant to be high risk-high reward weapons that will rely on the user keeping up the offensive. More on the exact mechanics of this will be revealed later when I get to implementing their specific feats. There are two types of machetes that differ slight in critical chance/damage stats.

Now the interesting one of the bunch is the shotgun. I say this because the mechanics of the shotgun are unlike anything else that we had in the game so far when it comes to weapons. When a shotgun is fired it launches a number of pellets that may hit the intended target, some other target in the attack cone or might miss completely. So the chance to hit with the shotgun is not so much indicative of weather or not you'll inflict damage on the enemy, but how much of the damage you launch their way is going to land on the primary target.

I'm going to give you some random shotgun stats below, but keep in mind that this has not be properly balance tested and that before we get a chance to play around with this new weapon a bit it's hard to gauge it's effectiveness and what the numbers should be in order for it to fit into the role intended for it. There is a lot of factors that come into play here depending on the situation and it will take some time to make sure they perform as expected at different ranges (medium, close and point blank) and against different enemies (low armor/high armor). By the way, pay attention to the interaction with the different ammo types when considering the raw damage stat.

I've also implemented the ability for weapons (and gear in general) to grant you special attacks and abilities so expect more of that in the future.

The process of adding these new weapons took a long time because we had to change the way we handled animations of all the different human models and it required a lot of manual labor to get things in order. However, now that we have done this, it will allow us to add more new weapons in the future (not in this DLC, though), to which we are rather looking forward to. I'm not gonna lie, we already know what weapons we want to add in the future, so just keep that in mind when you're posting your wishes.

Anyway, let us know what you think of the new weapons.
The full update has some more images, including sample weapon descriptions with stats. Better late than never on adding shotguns!

Aenra

This is where i say that this smells like some more RnG thrown in.. whom you hit more, how much for. But then i'd also have to link this with all the other RNG-related outcomes present in the game's roulette structure and i've already done that elsewhere.
No, am not here to flame. Still think this game would have been awesome without all the "modern" inventions they were so keen on adding (RnG been but one of them, but let's not get back to this), still feel a need to point this out.

Why? Because we still haven't had our Fallout III goddamit.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
This is where i say that this smells like some more RnG thrown in.. whom you hit more, how much for. But then i'd also have to link this with all the other RNG-related outcomes present in the game's roulette structure and i've already done that elsewhere.
No, am not here to flame. Still think this game would have been awesome without all the "modern" inventions they were so keen on adding (RnG been but one of them, but let's not get back to this), still feel a need to point this out.

Why? Because we still haven't had our Fallout III goddamit.

Have you heard of our lord and savior Fallout 1.5 Resurrection?

Last edited:
I am still wishing for / looking forward to a post-DC expansion instead of a midgame one. Maybe even a smaller story focused standalone campaign with a new character or maybe even a more combat oriented one with a party. This game would benefit so much more from a Dungeon Rats style party campaign.

Or just a Level/script/campaign editor. I would even pay for one, Styg

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am still wishing for / looking forward to a post-DC expansion instead of a midgame one. Maybe even a smaller story focused standalone campaign with a new character or maybe even a more combat oriented one with a party. This game would benefit so much more from a Dungeon Rats style party campaign.

Or just a Level/script/campaign editor. I would even pay for one, Styg
Little number of people came to DC at all, even less finished it. Doing an expansion for post DC would be a terrible idea unless it was like Throne of Bhaal were you could start directly at start of it and got a decently leveled character and access to useful equipment.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
By the way Styg , do you think you can find some extra-funding for some cooler death animations?
We might look into some special death animations in the future. We would very much like to add something alike special death animations of Fallout, but there are both technical and time-cost obstacles to this. We'll see.

ArchAngel

Arcane
By the way Styg , do you think you can find some extra-funding for some cooler death animations?
We might look into some special death animations in the future. We would very much like to add something alike special death animations of Fallout, but there are both technical and time-cost obstacles to this. We'll see.
In the meantime you could add more funny comments enemies share with your during combat about your or their fighting skills. That was the other very memorable thing from Fallout combat.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Spear looks like a very impractical weapon for Underrail narrow corridors, not to mention that I don't see how it could rival any gun/rifle because the distance at which it can be used isn't that big. Then again in Underrail the strongest opponent uses only his legs to fight and there are psychic powers here so...

ArchAngel

Arcane
Spear looks like a very impractical weapon for Underrail narrow corridors, not to mention that I don't see how it could rival any gun/rifle because the distance at which it can be used isn't that big. Then again in Underrail the strongest opponent uses only his legs to fight and there are psychic powers here so...
And questions like these become relevant when you don't teleport into combat with no way to retreat or kite :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom